Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 10 Dec 2018, 03:33
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
DLNA Tahr64 Pup – released 26th Nov 2015
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 3 of 3 [43 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3
ETP

PostPosted: Fri 29 Jan 2016, 17:57    Post subject: Sticky wicket  

Hi BJ,

Strange the good write to the stick did not boot on another PC. Did you confirm the md5 of the download?
It is also weird that the laptop can write the image to the stick but the server cannot.

The stick might have problems & you need to return it to its virgin state. Simply re-formatting it will not
do that. Use GParted to create a new MBR partition table on the disk, then create a single fat32 partition that fills
the stick. Do NOT use a GPT table & just accept the GParted defaults.

Do nothing else to it, just target it with the extracted image. Make absolutely certain that you have enough
free space to extract the complete image.
Try booting it first on something other than the server.

Finally what is the answer to my previous question?
"Has that server ever booted before from any OS placed on a stick? If so which OS? "

Kennels
BJF

PostPosted: Sat 30 Jan 2016, 02:36    Post subject:  

ETP: Just had a bit of a play. Formatted the whole stick again with a new partition set at ext2, and set it as bootable. Old ground. Grabbed the top .iso disk from the spindle stack, a quasi-random choice, and did an install to the stick of coincidentally the same OS as is on the server, LXPrecise 14.10 Retro. Done on the laptop, BTW. Took said stick to the server and plugged it into the front port(s) of the thing and it booted up straight off. I think we might conclude that the original DNLA download was flawed, and no, partly lazy but mainly ignorance of how, I didn't do the checksum test. Can you set me right on that please?
I will now proceed to another download and verify it before going further. Hopefully before heading off to the airport on Monday. Do I still need to do things to the stick other than formatting FAT32? And what is the GTP table and how is it avoided please.

Cheers.
ETP

PostPosted: Sat 30 Jan 2016, 04:36    Post subject:  

Hi BJF,

That is good progress in that you have eliminated the server as a possible problem.

Given that the stick may still have corrupt stuff on it I would recommend returning it
to its "out of the packet state" before targeting again with a downloaded image who's
checksum you have first confirmed.

In Linux use Gparted to do that:

1. Start by clicking on “device” then select “Create Partition Table” (MBR is required so do not select GPT)

2. Create a single fat32 partition spanning the whole stick accepting all other defaults.

(Do not set any flags or change anything else)

You should find a utility within LXPrecise (GTKHash Checksum utility?) that will enable you to see the checksum of the
downloaded xz file. Compare what you obtain with the one given in the download folder before using it. i.e.
Quote:
dd1fd567df3a0d35ded80d4693e4c45b

md5sum
dlnatahr64.img.xz
838 MB

25th November 2015

GPT is a newer type of partitioning system that should never be used when returning a stick to its virgin state.

Kennels
gcmartin

PostPosted: Sat 30 Jan 2016, 14:24    Post subject:  

Hi BJF,
Checksum
Open a terminal and do
Code:
md5sum /path-to-your-downloaded-file
The md5 checksum value will display. You can match it against the one in the prior post from @ETP; namely:
dd1fd567df3a0d35ded80d4693e4c45b

And, after your image download and checksum compare, be sure to expand that image to the file that is used to build the bootable USB stick following the step-by-step instruction for taking the image and making a "bootable PUP on a stick". Smile

Hope this helps

BJF

PostPosted: Sun 31 Jan 2016, 12:56    Post subject:  

All:
Steps today are... -
New fresh download.
-Checksummed.
-New extraction on server machine (first one failed at the 75.2% mark where it hung, and failed.) -the second also hung at that point but "got over it" and progressed to the 99% point where it paused for around 20 seconds then concluded. Successfully? as the window closed indicating so.
-did:
Code:
dd if=/root/Downloads/dlnatahr64.img of=/dev/sdb1 && sync

-Thumbdrive blinking, I went out to do stuff.
-Returned 6 hours later, thumbdrive still writing and blinking. This behaviour typical of all write attempts for maybe a week now?
-Stop process by Reboot. Machine hangs at the black screen and cursor. Hard restart, pull stick at post screen, check stick with GParted on successful boot to LXPrecise-Retro OS and find a single Unknown format partition.

-Conclusion has to be that the stick has gone silly and another, a 'Good Brand' one, should be purchased. Next week.

Thank you all,
BJ.
ETP

PostPosted: Sun 31 Jan 2016, 13:07    Post subject:  

Hi BJ,

If you in fact used the code above you were in error.
Please read the installation instructions
Quote:
If the stick is seen as sdb1 you would target the device sdb

Kennels
BJF

PostPosted: Sun 31 Jan 2016, 13:17    Post subject:  

Oops! Yes. If all else fails, RT*M. Embarassed
(Will give that a go around packing for trip)

Cheers.
Sylvander

PostPosted: Sun 31 Jan 2016, 15:35    Post subject:  

@BJF

1. Are you sure the file dlnatahr64.img is held in the folder /root/Downloads ?

2. I altered the method slightly as follows, and it worked OK:
a. Downloaded the file to a folder on an external HDD.
b. Used Xfe to navigate to the folder holding the file, opened a console in that folder, by clicking the console icon up top...
You may instead use "ROX->navigate to folder/directory->right click->Window->Terminal Here".
c. Copied and pasted to the command prompt dd if=...
d. Typed the 1st few characters of the filename, then hit <tab> to complete the filename to give dd if=dlnatahr64.img...
e. Typed a space on the end to give dd if=dlnatahr64.img ...
f. Copied and pasted of=/dev/sdb onto the end to give dd if=dlnatahr64.img of=/dev/sdb...
g. Typed a space on the end to give dd if=dlnatahr64.img of=/dev/sdb ...
h. Copied and pasted && sync onto the end to give dd if=dlnatahr64.img of=/dev/sdb && sync...
Hit <Enter>
Took about 45min to complete.

May seem complicated, but it's easy to do, and it reduces the possibility of typing mistakes.
Has the advantage that it can be done ANYWHERE the file happens to reside.
BJF

PostPosted: Sun 07 Feb 2016, 14:32    Post subject:  

All:

One last time... Redid every step of the USB creation. Every step except replacing the stick that is. Set the writing of that stick going at 07:33 yesterday and checked on it regularly through the day, and the LED just kept twinkling and the Terminal kept silent with just the command visible and the cursor parked at the start of the next line. Nothing had changed by 23:00 so I had a peek at HTop and found my Terminal command shuttling up and down the top five lines or so of the hierarchy but using 0% processor. Left it to it and went to bed.
This morning at 06:30 I rechecked. No change. Deciding to 'pull the plug' I checked PCManFM to see if the stick was mounted (wasn't) then tried Session Control>Powerdown. That showed solid processor activity on the Taskbar but no reaction from the machinery. So I did Terminal>reboot and the computer shut down. Waited 5 minutes and powered up, the stick still in the front port. And against all expectation I now have a seemingly complete live DLNATahr-on-a-stick desktop looking back at me inviting a first-run setup! Having joined you in a collective sigh of relief and written this I'm off to play.
Thank you all for your advice and patience. I can't fully decide the mechanism in this case but despite some uniquely weird behaviour my install has done exactly what it says on the tin.

Thanks again,
BJ.
gcmartin

PostPosted: Sun 07 Feb 2016, 16:22    Post subject: Methods f/users to know that the IMG is being written to USB  

This topic should probably be on its own thread because more and more users over the coming few years will have PCs which benefit from hybrid ISOs or IMGs that can burn directly to USBs via the dd... command.

Writing to USB with one of these files could benefit from a dialogue with at progress bar.

Unlike HDDs/SSDs where performance exceeds USBs, the USB marketplace is all over the map in performance we would see on the PCs. DVDs/CDs deliver "expected" performance when writing images, but, unfortunately the expectations in USB will be markedly different from stick to stick.

I discovered this last year when I was surprised when I wrote a PUP distro using dd to a HDD connected via USB. In a single case, the old ata-HDD was written more than 10 times faster than a USB stick on the exact same laptop channel (there is a big difference between writing an IMG in less than 10 minutes versus USB at over 2 hours.)

A "progress bar" script or GUI will NOT improve performance, but it will provide a level of expectation for users.

This problem is NOT limited to this distro. It exist for all developers who offer the ability to create bootable USB distros by writing/rewriting USB media OR who produce hybrid ISOs for users.

AS I remember, @ETP has already taken a step to address this need on another thread, IIRC.

BTW: The flashing USB light on sticks is a useful indicator, but an on-screen progress bar would benefit ...maybe better.

BJF

PostPosted: Sun 14 Feb 2016, 00:23    Post subject:  

Help!!!!
I have been faffing about with my new install, making mistakes with addressing the WD hard drive that I want to use as my repository until finally it appeared correctly at the top of the list in the Utilities>Change Repo report.
When I attempt to boot with the stick and the WD drive plugged in the screen flashes briefly with the stick's first line of the parade then defaults to booting up the LXPrecisePup onboard install. If I unplug the WD drive it boots the stick. When plugged in again the WD drive appears as sdc1 on the Desktop with the red cross and can be opened in ROX. But nothing shows up on the television. The movies on the stick played when it was the repo, but the WD drive won't respond and the server isn't found.
I did check the BIOS Boot Order and left it set at USB, then USB or Onboard CDROM, then Onboard HDD.
Does anyone have an idea where I am going wrong here??

Thanks guys.
ETP

PostPosted: Sun 14 Feb 2016, 04:00    Post subject: DLNA Tahr64 Pup – released 26th Nov 2015  

Hi BJF,

Every BIOS is different with many offering the choice between USB Hard Drive & USB Flash stick.
That is not the case with your particular BIOS so you have no option but to boot from the stick and then to plug in the WD later.

Fortunately the solution is very simple.

Edit the file /root/Startup/mountpool.sh and change the sleep 10 line to sleep 100. (On a slower PC 150 may be needed)
Save the file and then reboot ensuring that you save the session.

When it reboots and Wbar pops up at the top of the screen, you will have about 80 seconds to then plug in the WD. It will appear on the bottom row.

When the delay expires you will see the red cross appear on the icon to indicate
that it has mounted & the DLNA server has started.

Modified example follows:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
# This is /root/Startup/mountpool.sh - ETP 24th Nov 2015
#
# Shinobar's minidlna starter script is placed in /root/noob rather than init.d
# to permit the use of UUIDs which then in conjunction with a global environment variable
# allows for different media repositories to be easily targeted.
#
# The global environment variable is set by /etc/profile.d/dlna, the final line of which
# O.O.T.B, targets the UUID of the small 3rd f2fs partition on this stick.
#
# That partition contains two test files. No setup is required to test whether or not
# DLNA works with any particular TV.
#
# If it does, the UUID of your main media repository can then be substituted for that
# of the 3rd f2fs partition contained on the final line of the /etc/profile.d/dnla file.
#
# A utility to display and Change the DNLA Repository can be found at the bottom of the utility menu.
#
#
sleep 100
mkdir -p /mnt/pool
mount -U $REPOSITORY /mnt/pool
sleep 1
. /root/noob/minidlna start &

Kennels
BJF

PostPosted: Mon 15 Feb 2016, 01:05    Post subject:  

(cue manic giggling) IT WORKS! I set the delay initially to 100 as described and the server didn't appear on the television when I plugged in the drive at the WBar and with the red cross on the Desktop drive icon. Perhaps I was slow. So with a solution close at hand I extended the wait to 120 and following a brief interval the server appeared and I was looking at my trip photos on the big screen. Magic.
Thank you all, and especially ETP, for sorting me out.

Mark this chapter (SOLVED) Laughing
Page 3 of 3 [43 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: