Puppy's Impact on Major Distributions

News, happenings
LazY Puppy

Puppy's Impact on Major Distributions

#1 Post by LazY Puppy »

Hi.

Since (almost?) all of our Puppy GNU/Linux Systems are based on so-called Major Distros, there will be no doubt about the Impact of these Major Distros on Puppy.

By now I'm a four years Member of this Forum and I've never ever heard of any Impact of Puppy GNU/Linux on any Major Distro. Is there any?

However, today the French user oui did a Post in the German Forum. He posted a screenshot from a new LUbuntu Version that has adopted a very special Puppy feature...

...even though it was never ever included into a official Puppy, but built into a very special Puppy Derivative!

The VarioMenu was based on an Idea of the German user der-schutzhund and originally created by SFR and der-schutzhund at the Times when I've made LazY Puppy 2.

A modified and extended Version of the VarioMenu was first ever built into LazY Puppy 2, which was the main OS of der-schutzhund from August 2012 until the middle of 2015 and used by him at a German Public School from Classes 7 to 10 (Realschule Lemgo) as a replacement of Windows ( :shock: ).

The Image posted by oui (the first one) shows the VarioMenu adopted by LUbuntu. You can see it placed on top of the screenshot, presenting VarioMenu Categories like: Internet (acivated), Work, Education, Fun und Preferences.

Anyone knowing of any other examples of Puppy's Impact on Major Distros?

If so, please, add to this Topic!
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink:

eric52

#2 Post by eric52 »

Hmm ... I can't point to any specific instances, but if I were searching, I would look at live CD development, bootable USB drives, and frugal installs. I think there were instances of live CD's earlier than Puppy, but I believe Knoppix and Puppy were the first OS designs specifically to be portable. I'm pretty sure Puppy was part of pioneering frugal installs and instrumental in the development of multi-boot USB drives. Exactly who stole what from whom or emulated this that and the other thing might be hard to determine, but I would bet that Puppy had some significant impact, influence, and contribution to the whole process. I would think that Puppy also had some input in remastering. The only Puppy thing that no one else has done much with is the multi-session CD/DVD. As far as I know, no other project has adopted that technique. I find this remarkable, because I consider it to be the greatest thing since sliced bread. If I were to "borrow" anything from the Puppy project , that would be it.
Today only. Anger not. Worry not. Be grateful working karma. Be kind.

musher0

#3 Post by musher0 »

Hello, Eric and "Lazy".

Well, maybe Puppy doesn't have a direct influence, but just by doing what
you mention above, by delivering more than concepts on these innovations,
it's putting the pressure on other distros.

BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)