Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 28 Jan 2020, 19:08
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
DebianDog64 - 64 bit DebianDog-Jessie
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 11 of 38 [560 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, ..., 36, 37, 38 Next
mcewanw

PostPosted: Fri 19 Feb 2016, 07:21    Post subject: chroot method of creating multi-arch (32/64bit) environment?  

fredx181 wrote:
Hi Mikeslr.

From what I tested and read (searching the web), I think the only way that works for 32 bit wine apps is to setup a multiarch environment.

Hello Fred,

As I was reading up on something else, entirely unrelated, I came across this old (perhaps out-of-date) link, which outlines a method that may or may not be useful as a possible alternative way to create a multi-arch (32bit/64bit) environment. So just posting it in case useful info:

https://www.debian-administration.org/article/356/Installing_apps_in_a_32-bit_chroot_in_AMD64_Debian_system

Quote:
One way - they say - is to install the ia32-libs, but I wanted to be all clean about it and use the arguably harder 'chroot' method. This way, one can achieve a modular, easily upgradeble system. Both 64- and 32- bit apps are separated from each other, and all users can - compeletely transparently - call the 32-bit apps from within their 64-bit text consoles and DEs.

EDIT: The method does seem to be quite involved and appears to need modified depending on which Debian distribution version being used - but the idea is perhaps of interest.

William

stemsee

PostPosted: Sat 20 Feb 2016, 06:31    Post subject:  

Hi Fred

Could you post your patches for the fan problem!

cheers
stemsee
fredx181

PostPosted: Sat 20 Feb 2016, 08:50    Post subject:  

Hi Stemsee,

Here they are attached.

It could well be, btw, that these are applied now in kernel 4.5

Fred
thermal-patches.tar.gz
Description  thermal patches
gz

Download 
Filename  thermal-patches.tar.gz 
Filesize  2.94 KB 
Downloaded  174 Time(s) 
fredx181

PostPosted: Sat 20 Feb 2016, 09:20    Post subject:  

Hi oui,

Here's what works for me installing skype:
Will take a lot of space, also because of the multi-arch setup.

Code:
# First do some fixing (will be included in next iso release)
# Install debian version of package libxml2 (as it should be)
apt-get install libxml2=2.9.1+dfsg1-5+deb8u1
# Remove 0 byte files, otherwise apt will refuse to install some packages
find /usr/share/doc -type f -exec rm -f {} \;
find /usr/share/man -type f -exec rm -f {} \;

# Add ppa for skype (will install only skype and skype-bin from that repo):
echo -e "\ndeb http://archive.canonical.com/ trusty partner" >> /etc/apt/sources.list

# Add arch i386
dpkg --add-architecture i386
apt-get update
apt-get install skype:i386 # (type y if you trust it)
apt-get install apulse:i386

The apulse package I just added to the DD64 repository.
It's a Pulse emulator for alsa, this way you don't need to install pulseaudio (which skype in fact depends on)

Edit: Almost forgot, start skype with apulse:
Code:
apulse skype

Fred
fredx181

PostPosted: Sun 21 Feb 2016, 16:25    Post subject:  

Added to Extra-modules:
Skype module with multi-arch build in, run Skype from Menu> Network after activating.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/36381953/DebDog64-Jessie/Extra-Modules/skype_apulse.squashfs

DebDog64-Jessie/Extra-Modules at DropBox

Added new version of (already included) package "openbox-light" to the custom repository, changes:
- added custom keyboard shortcuts
- displays shortcuts info dialog at login (see screenshot)
If you have custom keyboard-shortcuts already set, these will be overwritten, so better backup ~/.config/openbox/rc.xml first in that case.
Install/upgrade with:
Code:
apt-get install openbox-light

Fred
keyboard-shortcuts-info-dialog.jpg
 Description   keyboard-shortcuts-info-dialog
 Filesize   46.22 KB
 Viewed   459 Time(s)

keyboard-shortcuts-info-dialog.jpg

Last edited by fredx181 on Mon 22 Feb 2016, 15:21; edited 2 times in total
oui

Location: near Woof (Germany) :-) - 3 PC's: DELL SX280 750 MB Pentium4, Acer emachines 2 GB AMD64. DELL XPS15

PostPosted: Mon 22 Feb 2016, 03:53    Post subject:  

Thank you very much Fred!

But a question:

- camera seems to work
- sound not because it is on a «virtual device»

how to commute it to the real sound and open the microphone and speaker/headphone (I don't can hear the Skype test call; it starts well but no sound)? Which app (/usr/bin/... ) does that?

Kind regards
fredx181

PostPosted: Mon 22 Feb 2016, 05:06    Post subject:  

Hi oui,

If you installed skype as I described, did you install apulse?
Code:
apt-get install apulse:i386

If so, run from terminal:
Code:
apulse skype

(/usr/bin/apulse)

If you loaded the skype_apulse.squashfs it should work when running from menu as I edited the .desktop launcher to Exec=apulse skype

In the sound options it should look like in the attached screenshot.

Good luck!

Fred
apulse-skype.jpg
 Description   apulse-skype
 Filesize   31.42 KB
 Viewed   518 Time(s)

apulse-skype.jpg

oui

Location: near Woof (Germany) :-) - 3 PC's: DELL SX280 750 MB Pentium4, Acer emachines 2 GB AMD64. DELL XPS15

PostPosted: Mon 22 Feb 2016, 13:47    Post subject:  

Thank you Fred! Works pretty now. Skype is ok!
fredx181

PostPosted: Mon 22 Feb 2016, 15:06    Post subject:  

oui wrote:
Thank you Fred! Works pretty now. Skype is ok!

OK, nice!

In case you use the skype_apulse.squashfs module, I found that unloading failed for me, fixed and re-uploaded:
New "skype_apulse.squashfs" without having included libc6 64 bit libraries.
(probably having them included was the reason for the unloading failure, unloading works fine now for me)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/36381953/DebDog64-Jessie/Extra-Modules/skype_apulse.squashfs

Fred
oui

PostPosted: Mon 22 Feb 2016, 17:23    Post subject:  

Hi Fred

Thank you very much.

I have an other problem now. Skype works, but if I remaster the size of the 01-filesystem.squashfs to include the needing apulse:i386 in my base it increase terribly (from actually 395, because of Ted, NtEd, Granule, Merkaartor, Marble, Gramps and Python, etc., to 578 Mb, now after the use of Skype).

It was the same with the LazY-Puplets all! But RSH did offer in his remaster suite an easy way to unload at remaster time all loaded modules before the system was remastered so that no external module was saved with the "actual" base.

how to do that in DebianDog?

Kind regards
fredx181

PostPosted: Mon 22 Feb 2016, 18:10    Post subject:  

Hi oui,

Quote:
I have an other problem now. Skype works, but if I remaster the size of the 01-filesystem.squashfs to include the needing apulse:i386 in my base it increase terribly (from actually 395, because of Ted, NtEd, Granule, Merkaartor, Marble, Gramps and Python, etc., to 578 Mb, now after the use of Skype).

That's strange, because the addition of skype module should add only 56 MB (as it is as separate module)
So if xz compressed it should come at a total of around 452 MB.
Calculation based on the total size of your base module + skype module in theory, not tested.

To unload a module from terminal (if loaded during a session):
Code:
loadmodule -d /path/to/modulename.squashfs

Parameter -a for activate (load) and -d for deactivate (unload)
There are right-click menu options with pcmanfm for it, but you removed it if I understood well

apulse;i386 is a very small package btw, so I assumed when you say apulse;i386, you mean the complete skype_apulse.squashfs module.

Please be more clear!

Fred
oui

PostPosted: Tue 23 Feb 2016, 09:56    Post subject:  

Hi Fred

I did see myself, that I did save in the 01-filesystem.squashfs ALL *.squashfs that you did offer us Wink (devx etc. ...). So is in those just under 600 MB xz squashfs all my Debian system more that complete Very Happy and it start pretty.

perhaps a message in «remasterdog» before copying the system "will you quit and unload some modules? N/y" like the actual message after copying the system would made the remasterdog immediately more user friendly?

all works now very pretty.

as I did update, apt-get did require more ":i386 stuff but as it was for only 10 MB (before squash) I did accept...

but next question: It would probably possible to install in the same way more *:i386 stuff, especially iceape, the last one, to use an i386 release of flashplayer (having under 10 MB size)?

thank you for all your efforts: this Debian version, it is in my eyes a real Debian version, is perfect for normal average users Idea as I am ...

kind regards
fredx181

PostPosted: Tue 23 Feb 2016, 17:35    Post subject:  

Hi oui,

Quote:
I did see myself, that I did save in the 01-filesystem.squashfs ALL *.squashfs that you did offer us Wink (devx etc. ...). So is in those just under 600 MB xz squashfs all my Debian system more that complete Very Happy and it start pretty.

Ah, I see, personally I would prefer to keep the separate .squashfs modules as they are, instead having them merged in the remaster, sfs-load one of them if I need, or put it in the the 'live' directory if I would like to load everytime.
That's what they are for, but it's your choice of course.

Quote:
perhaps a message in «remasterdog» before copying the system "will you quit and unload some modules? N/y" like the actual message after copying the system would made the remasterdog immediately more user friendly?

From RemasterDog GUI info, this line should be clear enough IMO :
Quote:
If multiple modules are loaded these will be merged into one

Quote:
but next question: It would probably possible to install in the same way more *:i386 stuff, especially iceape, the last one, to use an i386 release of flashplayer (having under 10 MB size)?

In theory, yes, but there could be conflicting situations, I didn't test much multi-arch.

Quote:
this Debian version, it is in my eyes a real Debian version, is perfect for normal average users Idea as I am ..

You? Normal? Average? Hmm... Wink

Good luck,

Fred
fredx181

PostPosted: Thu 25 Feb 2016, 15:00    Post subject:  

Hi All,

Added to DebianDog64 custom repository:

Palemoon Browser:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/36381953/DebDog64-Jessie/Packages/Included/palemoon_26.1.0_amd64.deb

Install with apt-get:
Code:
apt-get install palemoon

Description:
Firefox-based, efficient and easy to use web browser
Pale Moon offers selected features and optimizations to maximize
the browser's speed, stability and user experience, while maintaining
compatibility with the thousands of Firefox extensions you have come
to love and rely on.
Pale Moon requires a processor that supports the SSE2 instruction set.
Run /proc/cpuinfo in a terminal, and look for sse2 in the flags to ensure
that your processor supports it.

Probably it will be the default browser in next DD64 iso release.

Fred
oui

PostPosted: Thu 25 Feb 2016, 17:02    Post subject:  

Hi Fred

Next problem (and I hope last problem): How to install xvidcap so that not only the video but also the sound comes and be saved?

Google did not find some adequate package from Debian. I did use a lot of packages of Ubuntu of course Embarassed (not really willing: only because the search in Debian did not success...):

Quote:
xvidcap depends on libavcodec53 (>= 4:0.7-1) | libavcodec-extra-53 (>= 4:0.7-1); however:
Package libavcodec53 is not installed.
Package libavcodec-extra-53 is not installed.
xvidcap depends on libavdevice53 (>= 4:0.7-1) | libavdevice-extra-53 (>= 4:0.7-1); however:
Package libavdevice53 is not installed.
Package libavdevice-extra-53 is not installed.
xvidcap depends on libavformat53 (>= 4:0.7-1) | libavformat-extra-53 (>= 4:0.7-1); however:
Package libavformat53 is not installed.
Package libavformat-extra-53 is not installed.
xvidcap depends on libavutil51 (>= 4:0.7-1) | libavutil-extra-51 (>= 4:0.7-1); however:
Package libavutil51 is not installed.
Package libavutil-extra-51 is not installed.
xvidcap depends on libswscale2 (>= 4:0.7-1) | libswscale-extra-2 (>= 4:0.7-1); however:
Package libswscale2 is not installed.
Package libswscale-extra-2 is not installed.
xvidcap depends on libavcodec-extra-53; however:

They seem don't to harmonise with Debian sound stuff.

It seem to be mainly a problem of sound as xvidcap needs a good Pulseaudio with some utils and the connection at Dbus is also important.

(Xvidcap is know in the Puppy world but I did test divers ones on divers Puplets: no one excepted the one of fabrice works! You can always capture the video but only fabrice did be able to capture the sound Wink with it!)

Kind regards
Page 11 of 38 [560 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, ..., 36, 37, 38 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: