DebianDog64 - 64 bit DebianDog-Jessie

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
rufwoof

#376 Post by rufwoof »

FWIW Debian have updated the Jessie stable kernel again a few days ago

Code: Select all

user@debian:~$ uname -a
Linux debian 3.16.0-4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.16.39-1+deb8u2 (2017-03-07) x86_64 GNU/Linux

trister

personal squashfs/sfs repository

#377 Post by trister »

I'll just post my personal repository with Squashfs I've created.

Note most are for amd64 and for some of them you can rename them to *.SFS and they will work in other 64debian compatible distros.

Mostly apt2sfs with minor modifications
https://1fichier.com/dir/NdXhPAXZ

Mostly made from .deb files with modifications
https://1fichier.com/dir/yrNVkOXR

rufwoof

#378 Post by rufwoof »

With some time on my hands last night I tried this Debian Jessie to Stretch update approach (after having made a backup) of my Debian Jessie Frugal ... only to see it crash and burn after around a hour or so.

Booted as though a full install i.e. using all of the files in the save partition and it ran through the update OK, but failed during the full update stage.

I had been hoping that as Jessie migrates to Stretch as being the current stable (come the summer), that the migration/update might occur smoothly. After that test however I'm more inclined to not update and just continue along with Jessie LTS (which still gets security update support until 2020 I believe). Looking like I'll leave Stretch alone and stay with Jessie until either new hardware, or whenever Stretch's updates have slowed enough to suggest reasonable stability. Or perhaps some other more enforced need such as Skype not working unless Stretch is being used.

fredx181

#379 Post by fredx181 »

rufwoof wrote:With some time on my hands last night I tried this Debian Jessie to Stretch update approach (after having made a backup) of my Debian Jessie Frugal ... only to see it crash and burn after around a hour or so.

Booted as though a full install i.e. using all of the files in the save partition and it ran through the update OK, but failed during the full update stage.

I had been hoping that as Jessie migrates to Stretch as being the current stable (come the summer), that the migration/update might occur smoothly. After that test however I'm more inclined to not update and just continue along with Jessie LTS (which still gets security update support until 2020 I believe). Looking like I'll leave Stretch alone and stay with Jessie until either new hardware, or whenever Stretch's updates have slowed enough to suggest reasonable stability. Or perhaps some other more enforced need such as Skype not working unless Stretch is being used.
Hi rufwoof,

What was the error when doing the dist-upgrade?
I've done similar several times in the past (10?) years (with Debian full install and also with DebianDog) and worked well.
Out of curiosity just now I did dist-upgrade to Stretch on DD32, apart from some theme/fonts issues (which appeared after reboot) it ended successful (only the kernel I didn't upgrade)
Btw, upgrading the kernel to Stretch version can be a real problem on Debian Live (and DD) because of the transition from aufs to overlayfs, aufs still can be used but needs a workaround (e.g. install "aufs-dkms" package and some more tweaks)

EDIT: This is what I simply did to upgrade to stretch:
Still /etc/apt/sources.list contains jessie repository:

apt-get update
apt-get dist-upgrade # make sure every package is upgraded, also "on hold" packages
Replace all 'jessie' with 'stretch' in /etc/apt/sources.list, then:

apt-get update
apt-get dist-upgrade
Fred

rufwoof

#380 Post by rufwoof »

It all ran through apart from the kernel upgrade Fred.

As you know I have all of filesytem.squashfs in effect extracted to the save partition, which is also where grub4dos is installed, leaving a empty filesytem.squashfs ... which means I can also boot that as though it was a full install, with all changes being preserved as they occur (read/write) - and is the way I booted before running the dist-upgrade.
Btw, upgrading the kernel to Stretch version can be a real problem on Debian Live (and DD) because of the transition from aufs to overlayfs, aufs still can be used but needs a workaround (e.g. install "aufs-dkms" package and some more tweaks)
Basically you hit it on the head. As for the rest it looked like that all ran through OK (some warnings were flagged, mostly seemed to be 'unable to delete folder as not empty' type warnings).

fredx181

#381 Post by fredx181 »

rufwoof wrote:It all ran through apart from the kernel upgrade Fred.

As you know I have all of filesytem.squashfs in effect extracted to the save partition, which is also where grub4dos is installed, leaving a empty filesytem.squashfs ... which means I can also boot that as though it was a full install, with all changes being preserved as they occur (read/write) - and is the way I booted before running the dist-upgrade.
Basically you hit it on the head. As for the rest it looked like that all ran through OK (some warnings were flagged, mostly seemed to be 'unable to delete folder as not empty' type warnings).
Yes, I know the type of install you have, as I said, upgrading the kernel to Stretch on DebianLive is not straightforward at all, but it's possible (I experimented with DD-Stretch, got working aufs included).
Just tell me if you'd like any help (but better after a few months, when Stretch became stable branch, when the kernel version (4.10 maybe?) is settled)
Or as you said, stay on Jessie at least till 2021, nothing wrong with that, I guess :)

Fred

rufwoof

#382 Post by rufwoof »

fredx181 wrote:upgrading the kernel to Stretch on DebianLive is not straightforward at all, but it's possible (I experimented with DD-Stretch, got working aufs included).
Just tell me if you'd like any help (but better after a few months, when Stretch became stable branch, when the kernel version (4.10 maybe?) is settled)
Or as you said, stay on Jessie at least till 2021, nothing wrong with that, I guess :)
That was my intent, defer until Stretch is the stable branch and only then investigate further the prospect of upgrading. Your experiments sound promising. Better than having to stick with Jessie until 2021 which is my fallback option if no Stretch frugal boot solution could be found. Your offer of help at that time would be appreciated thanks Fred.

rufwoof

#383 Post by rufwoof »

Hi Fred ... For Info.

I grabbed a liveCD for the latest Jessie 64 bit (AMD) LXDE with non-free 'unofficial' and set that up as a frugal boot on my primary HDD alongside grub4dos i.e. copied over /live/filesystem.squashfs and /boot folders. Extracted the filesystem.squashfs to / and set that up to also boot like a full installed boot (menu.lst chains to standard grub menu.lst), booted that 'full' ... and then ran upgrade, dist-upgrade ... changed sources.list to point to stretch and ran upgrade again, then installed aufs-dkms, then ran dist-upgrade again

... and it all ran through fine (excepting I had to install a legacy nvidia so that it works on my hardware (apt-get install nvidia-legacy-340xx-driver)

clickable thumbnail

Booting frugally, my flush2disk (similar to save2flash) isn't working. Looks like the umount /lib/live/mount/overlay command to 'un-hide' that folder ... doesn't (click the above thumbnail and then zoom or view that larger image to reveal more).

Not really a issue for me as I can just boot full installed style to apply updates before rebooting frugally again. But otherwise its looking quite close to potentially working as per frugal booted Jessie, but save2flash (my flush2disk) does appear to need some mods.

Apart from that the 4.9 kernel along with aufs-dkms seems to be working OK (bearing in mind I've tested very little ... firefox for posting this and installing/using mtpaint is as far as I've got so far).

fredx181

#384 Post by fredx181 »

Hi rufwoof,

All depends on if you want to stay with "aufs" or make the switch to the now default overlayfs.
Looking at your "df -h" output the system is using overlay(fs). (not aufs)
I'd personally like sticking to use aufs, but that has to do with my intentions to develop DD-alike system in the future (with porteus-boot depending on aufs).
So I might be able to help with a "aufs workaround" but overlayfs I don't know anything about.

Since you installed aufs-dkms the aufs module should be in /lib/modules/4.9.0-2-amd64/
But to have aufs working, also the initrd should contain aufs.ko (EDIT:don't know if initrd had been re-generated after installing aufs-dkms), you can check that by extracting the initrd, something like e.g.:

(if name of initrd in /boot is initrd.img-4.9.0-2-amd64)

mkdir initrd
cp -a /boot/initrd.img-4.9.0-2-amd64 initrd/
cd initrd
zcat initrd.img-4.9.0-2-amd64 | cpio -i -d
And check if there is initrd/lib/modules/4.9.0-2-amd64/kernel/fs/aufs/aufs.ko

If it is there, you could try adding union=aufs to the kernel line, and see if aufs in in use after reboot (df -h should show aufs then rather than overlay at the line for / )
EDIT: If the initrd does not contain aufs.ko, it's possible to re-generate the initrd with aufs support (but about that later maybe, requires live-boot package installed anyway)

But maybe best for you is to go with the new overlay (overlayfs) and modify flush2disk accordingly.

Fred

rufwoof

#385 Post by rufwoof »

Thanks Fred.

When I ran the upgrade and dist-upgrade it did pause for some time to rebuild kernel modules and it looks like having installed aufs-dkms after the upgrade (and before the dist-upgrade) it installed the required modules so that now booting with union=aufs kernel parameter has flush2disk working as before (df -h now shows aufs).

I'll leave it like that for the time being as I don't know where overlayfs hides (or how to unhide) the changes (umount /live/live/mount/overlay doesn't reveal anything in that folder under overlayfs, but does under aufs).

After tweaking the menu bar to how I like it (at the top of screen, with the apps I more commonly use) in a frugal booted session, it all saved OK.

Thanks again.
Attachments
Screenshot from 2017-03-20 13-48-43.png
(73 KiB) Downloaded 338 times

fredx181

#386 Post by fredx181 »

rufwoof wrote:Thanks Fred.

When I ran the upgrade and dist-upgrade it did pause for some time to rebuild kernel modules and it looks like having installed aufs-dkms after the upgrade (and before the dist-upgrade) it installed the required modules so that now booting with union=aufs kernel parameter has flush2disk working as before (df -h now shows aufs).

I'll leave it like that for the time being as I don't know where overlayfs hides (or how to unhide) the changes (umount /live/live/mount/overlay doesn't reveal anything in that folder under overlayfs, but does under aufs).

After tweaking the menu bar to how I like it (at the top of screen, with the apps I more commonly use) in a frugal booted session, it all saved OK.

Thanks again.
Ok, nice! That turned out to be rather easy. Glad to see that aufs is still supported somehow in Debian.
EDIT: what I know about overlayfs is that it works completely different, e.g. no .wh files AFAIK and probably much more I didn't investigate, so I think it would be very difficult to transform your flush2disk script working properly with overlayfs (should be a complete rewrite, I guess)

Fred

rufwoof

#387 Post by rufwoof »

Getting the fonts looking a bit better. And how have the locale/keyboard set up for UK. Impressed so far with Debian 9/Stretch

I do wish they'd make setting the likes of numlock and keyboard more intuitive for new users however (at least in LXDE).

rufwoof

#388 Post by rufwoof »

Not so keen on the Skype for Linux (beta) under Debian Stretch. No DialPad option during calls, so you can't make 'Press button 1 for ...' type calls.

To install I downloaded the Debian 9 64 bit .deb from http://www.skype.com/en/download-skype/ ... e=debian32

See if gdebi is already installed

which gdebi
If no gdebi then:

apt-get install gdebi
otherwise don't bother as you already have it installed

Then install the downloaded skype .deb file

gdebi skype*.deb
... all as su (root) of course.

Then 'user' can run
skypeforlinux

rufwoof

#389 Post by rufwoof »

Wow. Just trying out Point Linux. That's based on Debian Jessie. I downloaded the MATE 64 bit version, extracted the /live folder from the ISO and frugally booted that filesystem.squashfs (1GB) and its looking great.

Much more friendly/ready to go than standard Debian, and the fonts look great right out of the box. Setting up locale and keyboard ...etc. was so easy.

I've since extracted the filesystem.squashfs to my save partition and flush2disk (save2flash) worked as-is.

Followed their wiki pages for how to install nvidia and that worked straight off as well. There's a nice configuration screen that immediately reflects the changes such as hint level (none, slight, full ...etc) within its Control Panel.

A nice feature is you can just drag and drop icons from the menu to the main panel and rearrange/position them within that by drag and drop.

Impressive!
Attachments
Screenshot.png
(146.36 KiB) Downloaded 197 times

fredx181

#390 Post by fredx181 »

rufwoof wrote:Wow. Just trying out Point Linux. That's based on Debian Jessie.
Yes, great indeed! I wrote also about it here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 098#948098
Coincidence or did you read my post there?

Btw, probably upgrading Pointlinux to Stretch may not be easy (because of the (active) custom pointlinux repository)

Fred

rufwoof

#391 Post by rufwoof »

fredx181 wrote:
rufwoof wrote:Wow. Just trying out Point Linux. That's based on Debian Jessie.
Yes, great indeed! I wrote also about it here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 098#948098
Coincidence or did you read my post there?

Btw, probably upgrading Pointlinux to Stretch may not be easy (because of the (active) custom pointlinux repository)

Fred
Forgot you'd posted that (saw it when posted, but didn't look at Point Linux at that time).

I was watching a "15 things to do after installing Debian" youtube video and the guy advocated Point Linux in that, saying all these things he was doing was already done in PL and it was pure Debian based, after which I tried it.

The MATE 64 bit version of PL I'm running has a sources.list entry of

deb http://http.debian.net/debian/ jessie main contrib non-free
deb http://security.debian.org/ jessie/updates main contrib non-free
deb http://http.debian.net/debian/ jessie-updates main contrib non-free
which indicates no custom PL repository.

I did install grub (in addition to having booted using grub4dos) and added a /boot/grub/menu.lst to that containing

title		Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 3.16.0-4-amd64
root		(hd0,0)
kernel		/boot/vmlinuz-3.16.0-4-amd64 nomodeset root=UUID=4f9c45cc-2ece-45c6-94ee-b65375d1ef2b ro 
initrd		/boot/initrd.img-3.16.0-4-amd64
and my grub4dos /menu.lst file has a entry that chains to that

title Debian FULL *** USE THIS TO UPGRADE KERNEL ***
  find --set-root /persistence.conf
  configfile /boot/grub/menu.lst
  commandline

title Point Linux MATE 64 Debian Jessie Frugal RO
find --set-root /live/vmlinuz
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-3.16.0-4-amd64 boot=live nomodeset union=aufs timezone=Europe/London xorg-resolution=1280x768 config nofastboot persistence persistence-read-only persistence-label=persistence quickreboot noprompt showmounts live-media-path=/live/ config rw fsck.mode=auto fsck.repair=preen
initrd /boot/initrd.img-3.16.0-4-amd64
and with all of filesystem.squashfs extracted to the save partition (which is also my grub4dos and /live folder partition, with a label of 'persistence' and persistence.conf file containing / union) ... and that boots as though a full install. Booted that way I ran apt-get update and apt-get upgrade and quite a few updates occurred, including kernel updates, bring it right up to date. I haven't tried but suspect changing /etc/apt/sources.list to point to Stretch rather than Jessie repositories and running apt-get update; apt-get upgrade; apt-get dist-upgrade might upgrade to Stretch OK.

I've also deleted /live/filesystem.squashfs and recreated a new one, with nothing in it
mkdir tmpdir
mksquashfs tmpdir filesystem.squashfs
rm tmpdir
..as all of that content is already in the save partition.

The flush2disk (similar to save2flash) script worked OK when frugally booted. I've just copied that to /usr/local/bin and open a terminal, cd to that folder and run ./flush2disk and changes made during the frugal session are made persistent across reboots.

#!/bin/bash
#
#2007 Lesser GPL licence v2 (http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/lgpl.html)
#Barry Kauler www.puppylinux.com
#Edited for 'porteus-boot' on Debiandog for the "save on exit" boot option, by fredx181
#2016-02-26 Change; Line 89 "--remove-destination" instead of "-f", workaround possible crashing when 
#              copying files from upgraded libc6
#2016-07-19 fredx181 make save 'on demand' (to directory) work also with live-boot (originally idea from
#              Toni (saintless) https://github.com/MintPup/DebianDog-Wheezy/commit/9d510cd0189be4bdfe8ead97 ).
#2016-07-22 fredx181 parse location of live folder more exact (works now on DebianDog also)
#2016-07-29 Rufwoof - renamed to avoid confusion from save2flash to flush2disk and changed to specifically
#              run on persistence persistence-read-only pure Debian Live CD frugal
#2016-07-30 Rufwoof changed the BASE grep to pick up just the first line (partition) [added -m 1 parameter]
#2016-08-08 fredx181 changed: do the copying by 'rsync' instead of 'cp'
#              rsync does a better job, will skip copying files that are earlier copied to BASE by this script,
#              so much faster then, also it will 'flush' the memory space (tmpfs) in SNAP to (almost) how it was
#              at startup (see last code block). 
#2016-10-05 Rufwoof - changed to launch find as early as possible as for first run that slows things down
#              Also added spinner that's shown whilst waitign for that pre-find to finish
################################################################################################################

spinner()
{
    local pid=$1
    local delay=0.25
    local spinstr='|/-\'
    while [ "$(ps a | awk '{print $1}' | grep $pid)" ]; do
        local temp=${spinstr#?}
        printf " [%c]  " "$spinstr"
        local spinstr=$temp${spinstr%"$temp"}
        sleep $delay
        printf "\b\b\b\b\b\b"
    done
    printf "    \b\b\b\b"
}

if [ "`whoami`" != "root" ]; then
	exec sudo ${0}
fi

export LANG=C #110206 Dougal: I **think** this should not cause problems with filenames
PATH="/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/X11R7/bin"

# Debian LiveCD defaults to use a partition with a label of persistence or a partition
# with a label that matches the perisistence-label= kernel boot parameter (menu.lst)
LABEL=`cat /proc/cmdline | grep persistence-label`
if [ -z "$LABEL" ]; then
 	LABEL="persistence"
else
 	LABEL=`cat /proc/cmdline | awk 'BEGIN{FS="persistence-label="} {print $2}' | awk 'BEGIN{FS=" "} {print $1}'`
fi
BASE=`mount -l | grep "\[$LABEL\]" | grep -m 1 /lib/live/mount/persistence | awk 'BEGIN{FS=" "} {print $3}'`
if [ -z "$BASE" ]; then
 	echo -----------------------------------------------------
 	echo Only valid when booted a Read Only session and when 
 	echo persistence-label boot parameter specified - exiting
 	echo -----------------------------------------------------
 	sleep 4
 	exit
fi

# Remount the 'home' partition read-write, otherwise we can't copy the changes
mount -o remount,rw $BASE 2> /dev/null

# help speed up find by pre-running as early as possible
find $BASE/. >/dev/null &
PID=$!      # record pid of background find

dialog --backtitle "Are you sure you want to flush all changes to disk?" --yesno " Save " 5 20
if test $? -ne 0
then
	exit
fi
clear

#dialog --backtitle "Should I leave existing network and graphics values?" --yesno " Save " 5 20
#if test $? -ne 0
#then
#	rm -f /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent*
#	rm -f /home/user/.config/autostart/LXRandR*
#	rm -f /etc/X11/xorg.conf
#fi
#clear

# fredx181 mod, create variable for list containing files to save (to be used further below).
FILESAVELIST="/tmp/filesave$RANDOM"

# By default overlay is mounted twice (in case no persistence), unmounting it, sort of 'releases' it, not sure why but it works ;)
# On DebianDog it's different, but doing the below does not harm  
umount /lib/live/mount/overlay 2> /dev/null

# Rufwoof append root to path
SNAP="/lib/live/mount/overlay/root/"
if [ ! -d /lib/live/mount/overlay/root ]
then
	echo "Looks like you're running a continual save session"
 	echo "Invalid operation. Exiting"
 	sleep 5
 	exit 
fi

# create BASE directory if not exist
mkdir $BASE 2> /dev/null
cd $SNAP || exit 1
echo "Merging $SNAP onto $BASE..."
if [ -f /mnt/live/tmp/modules ]; then
 	SFSPoints=$( ls -d -1 /mnt/live/memory/images/* |sort -u ) #110206 Dougal: get a list of the sfs mountpoints
else
 	# live-boot v3 or v4
 	SFSPoints=$( ls -d -1 /lib/live/mount/rootfs/* |sort -u ) #110206 Dougal: get a list of the sfs mountpoints
fi

# Wait for early launched find to finish, showing a spinner whilst waiting
echo -n "Scanning ..."
spinner ${PID}
#wait $PID # wait until background updatedb finishes
echo
echo "Updating ..."

#Handle Whiteouts...
find . -mount \( -regex '.*/\.wh\.[^/]*' -type f \) | sed -e 's/\.\///;s/\.wh\.//' |
while read N
do
 	BN="`basename "$N"`"
 	DN="`dirname "$N"`"
 	[ "$BN" = ".wh.aufs" ] && continue #w003 aufs has file .wh..wh.aufs in /initrd/pup_rw.
 	#[ "$DN" = "." ] && continue
 	#110212 unionfs and early aufs: '.wh.__dir_opaque' marks ignore all contents in lower layers...
 	if [ "$BN" = "__dir_opaque" ];then #w003
  		#'.wh.__dir_opaque' marks ignore all contents in lower layers...
  		rm -rf "${BASE}/${DN}" 2>/dev/null #wipe anything in save layer. 110212 delete entire dir.
  		mkdir -p "${BASE}/${DN}" #jemimah: files sometimes mysteriously reappear if you don't delete and recreate the directory, aufs bug? 111229 rerwin: need -p, may have to create parent dir.
  		#also need to save the whiteout file to block all lower layers (may be readonly)...
  		touch "${BASE}/${DN}/.wh.__dir_opaque" 2>/dev/null
  		rm -f "$SNAP/$DN/.wh.__dir_opaque" #should force aufs layer "reval".
  		continue
 	fi
 	#110212 recent aufs: .wh.__dir_opaque name changed to .wh..wh..opq ...
 	if [ "$BN" = ".wh..opq" ] ; then
  		rm -rf "${BASE}/${DN}" 2>/dev/null  #wipe anything in save layer.
  		mkdir -p "${BASE}/${DN}" #jemimah: files sometimes mysteriously reappear if you don't delete and recreate the directory, aufs bug? 111229 rerwin: need -p, may have to create parent dir.
  		#also need to save the whiteout file to block all lower layers (may be readonly)...
  		touch "${BASE}/${DN}/.wh..wh..opq" 2>/dev/null 
  		rm -f "$SNAP/$DN/.wh..wh..opq"  #should force aufs layer "reval".
  		continue
 	fi
 	#comes in here with the '.wh.' prefix stripped off, leaving actual filename...
 	rm -rf "$BASE/$N"
 	#if file exists on a lower layer, have to save the whiteout file...
 	#110206 Dougal: speedup and refine the search...
 	for P in $SFSPoints
 	do
   		if [ -e "$P/$N" ] ; then
     			[ ! -d "${BASE}/${DN}" ] && mkdir -p "${BASE}/${DN}"
     			touch "${BASE}/${DN}/.wh.${BN}"
     			break
   		fi
 	done #110206 End Dougal.
done

#Directories... v409 remove '^var'. w003 remove aufs .wh. dirs.
#w003 /dev/.udev also needs to be screened out... 100820 added var/tmp #110222 shinobar: remove all /dev
find . -mount -type d | busybox tail +2 | sed -e 's/\.\///' | grep -v -E '^mnt|^initrd|^proc|^sys|^tmp|^root/tmp|^\.wh\.|/\.wh\.|^dev/|^run|^var/run/udev|^run/udev|^var/tmp|^etc/blkid-cache' |
#110224 BK revert, leave save of /dev in for now, just take out some subdirs... 110503 added dev/snd
#find . -mount -type d | busybox tail +2 | sed -e 's/\.\///' | grep -v -E '^mnt|^initrd|^proc|^sys|^tmp|^root/tmp|^\.wh\.|/\.wh\.|^dev/\.|^dev/fd|^dev/pts|^dev/shm|^dev/snd|^var/tmp' |
while read N
do
 	mkdir -p "$BASE/$N"
 	# I think nathan advised this, to handle non-root user:
 	chmod "$BASE/$N" --reference="$N"
 	OWNER="`stat --format=%U "$N"`"
 	chown $OWNER "$BASE/$N"
 	GRP="`stat --format=%G "$N"`"
 	chgrp $GRP "$BASE/$N"
 	touch "$BASE/$N" --reference="$N"
done

#Copy Files... v409 remove '^var'. w003 screen out some /dev files. 100222 shinobar: more exclusions. 100422 added ^root/ftpd. 100429 modify 'trash' exclusion. 100820 added var/tmp #110222 shinobar: remove all /dev
find . -mount -not \( -regex '.*/\.wh\.[^/]*' -type f \) -not -type d |  sed -e 's/\.\///' | grep -v -E '^mnt|^initrd|^proc|^sys|^tmp|^pup_|^zdrv_|^root/tmp|_zdrv_|^dev/|^\.wh\.|^run|^var/run/udev|^run/udev|^root/ftpd|^var/tmp' | grep -v -E -i '\.thumbnails|\.trash|trash/|^etc/blkid-cache|\.part$'  |
#110224 BK: revert, leave save of /dev in for now... 120103 rerwin: add .XLOADED
#find . -mount -not \( -regex '.*/\.wh\.[^/]*' -type f \) -not -type d |  sed -e 's/\.\///' | grep -v -E '^mnt|^initrd|^proc|^sys|^tmp|^run|^pup_|^zdrv_|^root/tmp|_zdrv_|^dev/\.|^dev/fd|^dev/pts|^dev/shm|^\.wh\.|^var/run|^root/ftpd|^var/tmp|\.XLOADED$' | grep -v -E -i '\.thumbnails|\.trash|trash/|\.part$'  |
while read N
do
 	[ -L "$BASE/$N" ] && rm -f "$BASE/$N"
 	# Finally, copy files unconditionally.
 	# fredx181 mod, no, don't use 'cp' just create filelist (for to save) here and run rsync later. 
 	#cp -a --remove-destination "$N" "$BASE/$N"
 	echo "$N" >> "$FILESAVELIST"
 	BN="`basename "$N"`" #111229 rerwin: bugfix for jemimah code (110212).
 	DN="`dirname "$N"`" #111229  "
 	[ -e "$BASE/$DN/.wh.${BN}" ] && rm "$BASE/$DN/.wh.${BN}" #110212 jemimah bugfix - I/O errors if you don't do this
done

# fredx181 mod, rsync copy from $FILESAVELIST
[ -f "$FILESAVELIST" ] && rsync -a --files-from=$FILESAVELIST "$SNAP" "$BASE"

# Remove files, corresponding with .wh files, from zchanges.dir
# Taken from 'cleanup' script included in the official Porteus initrd.xz 
MNAME="$BASE"; NAME="basename "$MNAME""
find $MNAME -name ".wh.*" 2>/dev/null | while IFS= read -r NAME; do wh=`echo "$NAME" | sed -e 's^$MNAME^^g' -e 's/.wh.//g'`; test -e "$wh" && rm -rf "$NAME"; done

# fredx181 mod, remount BASE and remove the just copied files from SNAP. 
if [ -f "$FILESAVELIST" ]; then
 	# remount BASE 
 	mount -no remount,add:1:"$BASE"=ro+wh aufs /
 	REMOVE=$(echo $(cat "$FILESAVELIST" | grep -v '\->'))
 	cd "$SNAP"
 	# remove files from SNAP that had just been copied to BASE 
 	rm -fr $REMOVE
 	rm -f "$FILESAVELIST"
else
 	echo "No changes found, nothing to do!"
fi

sync &
echo Done
sleep 1

exit 0

###END###

fredx181

#392 Post by fredx181 »

rufwoof wrote:The MATE 64 bit version of PL I'm running has a sources.list entry of

Code:
deb http://http.debian.net/debian/ jessie main contrib non-free
deb http://security.debian.org/ jessie/updates main contrib non-free
deb http://http.debian.net/debian/ jessie-updates main contrib non-free

which indicates no custom PL repository.
On the version I have installed (XFCE) there is PL repo in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ directory, might be on MATE also.
Disabling it may be best, if you'd try a dist-upgrade.

EDIT:
I was watching a "15 things to do after installing Debian" youtube video and the guy advocated Point Linux in that, saying all these things he was doing was already done in PL and it was pure Debian based, after which I tried it.
Yes, went exactly the same for me!

Fred

rufwoof

#393 Post by rufwoof »

fredx181 wrote:On the version I have installed (XFCE) there is PL repo in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ directory, might be on MATE also.
Disabling it may be best, if you'd try a dist-upgrade.
Yes that is in MATE also. I started afresh, removed that PL repo entry and updated Point Linux (Jessie), redirected the repositories to Stretch and ran update. After that a reboot resulted in just the mouse cursor on a black screen. Gave up after that and just restored my standard system.

Also http://forums.pointlinux.org/viewtopic.php?p=3314#p3314
The fact that two weeks have passed since your initial post about this only the two of us have posted in the forums at all tells you something. It's definitely looking like the developers have abandoned the project, or at least support for it.

rufwoof

#394 Post by rufwoof »

I did a fresh install of the standard debian livecd (text/console only) and ran that through Jessie updates then Stretch updates. I then booted that and installed xorg, then lxde and it booted up fine. I've since been adding other apps, firefox-esr, libre, skype ...etc. and its working well. The last time I installed skype in Stretch it came with the skypeforlinux beta version, which annoyingly has no dialpad during a call (for 'Press button 1 for ...' type prompts). I've since however managed to install a earlier version of skype (4.3.0.37) that has the dialpad and so far that's been working ok under Stretch amd64.

(clickable thumbnail)

It's great that we can continue to use aufs in Debian Stretch. I haven't noticed any particular delay when performing frugal booted saves either. Maybe a little (maybe just my imagination).

The steps I went through were to get both libssl and skype using 'user'

$ wget -q http://ftp.at.debian.org/debian/pool/ma ... 5_i386.deb
$ wget -O skype-install.deb http://www.skype.com/go/getskype-linux-deb

and then as root

# dpkg --add-architecture i386
# apt-get update
# apt-get install gdebi
# gdebi libssl1.0.0_1.0.1t-1+deb8u5_i386.deb
# gdebi skype-install.deb

Initially when first run that complained about a libGL... being missing, which can either be sorted by installing

# apt-get install libgl1-nvidia-glx:i386

but in my case that would conflict with the legacy 304xx nvidia driver I'm using

or by simply

# ln -s /usr/lib/mesa-diverted/i386-linux-gnu/libGL.so.1 /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/

i.e. as per detailed in https://wiki.debian.org/skype

I did have to play around with ~/.config/Trolltech.conf [Qt] section entry as the skype tray pop up text was massive, to do that I set the skype font to Cleanlooks within skype options/settings and then for me a Droid Sans font size of 9 was a reasonable balance inside the Trolltech.conf file

[Qt]
font="Droid Sans,9,-1,5,50,0,0,0,0,0"

dancytron

#395 Post by dancytron »

I've updated my Chrome Remaster.

Mostly more of the same, but newer.

More info and links in original post.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 815#919815