DebianDog64 - 64 bit DebianDog-Jessie

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
RickGT351

#466 Post by RickGT351 »

What about printing? I have looked through the menus and found nothing about setting up a printer. What's the secret?

dancytron

#467 Post by dancytron »

RickGT351 wrote:What about printing? I have looked through the menus and found nothing about setting up a printer. What's the secret?
None of the printer stuff is installed. That's one of the ways that Debian Dog stays small.

So. . . set it up the way you would in any other Debian installation.

Install cups from synaptic or with apt-get. Then google for "debian jessie cups setup". Here is one to start with. Let us know if you have any trouble.

https://wiki.debian.org/SystemPrinting

https://debian-handbook.info/browse/sta ... nting.html

trister

Re: fred181 DebianDog64 Stretch - StretchDog64-2017-07-04.iso

#468 Post by trister »

fredx181 wrote:
trister wrote:
Hi trister,

For Note 1: Very strange, I just tested that and works fine for me.
You do mean 'Activate module', (SFS-load) ?

For Note 2: didn't test that yet, but do you mean a changes.dat file created in Stretch and trying to mount in Jessie ?

There will probably come a new thread sooner or later for a Stretch Dog, Stretch has just became the new stable, so better wait a while.

Best Regards,

EDIT: Maybe I understand, after some further thoughts, not sure, you boot with "live-boot" ?
If that's the case, it's required to add to kernel boot command line:

Code: Select all

union=aufs
EDIT2: Ah, no, just see now, you wrote porteus-boot method.

Fred
Note 1: Yes I cannot activate any Squashfs module after boot up (PCFile man-> right click->"Activate Module"). All the squashfs files that I put inside LIVE folder load ok though.

Note 2: Yes. But from DD64Jessie I can load/open ok the changes.dat files that are created from Jessie and Stretch

I boot with porteus boot and I have tried the union-ausfs .

Could it be my current PC? I only have a 2GBram PC with an old Intel CPU.

I have some other minor issues (eg conky display appears messed up in first load- but if I toggle it problem is fixed)

My current repository for stretchdog64 with custom .squashfs files is here : https://1fichier.com/dir/hw5uWJMs
So far I have added gxkb , firefox, chromium and flash 26

(EDIT): I tried from the terminal running loadsfs myfile.squashfs
and here is the result (I don't know if this Helps)

root@stretch64:/mnt/sda5/puppy_debiandog64/live# loadsfs dosbox_captive_.squashfs 
aufs             1224972      5456   1219516   1% /
dosbox_captive_.squashfs
/mnt/live/memory/images
mount: /mnt/sda5/puppy_debiandog64/live/dosbox_captive_.squashfs: failed to setup loop device: No such device or address
SUCCESS: Module 'dosbox_captive_.squashfs' activated
cp: cannot stat '/mnt/live/memory/images/dosbox_captive_.squashfs/usr/share/applications/*.desktop': No such file or directory
ls: cannot access '/.unionfs/*.desktop': No such file or directory
grep: : No such file or directory
sed: couldn't edit /.unionfs/: not a regular file

umount: /mnt/live/memory/images/dosbox_captive_.squashfs: not mounted
SUCCESS: Module 'dosbox_captive_.squashfs' deactivated
(/EDIT)[/code]
Last edited by trister on Wed 02 Aug 2017, 12:11, edited 1 time in total.

RickGT351

#469 Post by RickGT351 »

dancytron wrote:
RickGT351 wrote:What about printing? I have looked through the menus and found nothing about setting up a printer. What's the secret?
None of the printer stuff is installed. That's one of the ways that Debian Dog stays small.

So. . . set it up the way you would in any other Debian installation.

Install cups from synaptic or with apt-get. Then google for "debian jessie cups setup". Here is one to start with. Let us know if you have any trouble.
Thanks dancytron. I got it working. My first debian install btw
Last edited by RickGT351 on Mon 21 Aug 2017, 10:18, edited 1 time in total.

fredx181

#470 Post by fredx181 »

trister wrote:Note 1: Yes I cannot activate any Squashfs module after boot up (PCFile man-> right click->"Activate Module"). All the squashfs files that I put inside LIVE folder load ok though.

Note 2: Yes. But from DD64Jessie I can load/open ok the changes.dat files that are created from Jessie and Stretch

I boot with porteus boot and I have tried the union-ausfs .

Could it be my current PC? I only have a 2GBram PC with an old Intel CPU.

I have some other minor issues (eg conky display appears messed up in first load- but if I toggle it problem is fixed)

(EDIT): I tried from the terminal running loadsfs myfile.squashfs
and here is the result (I don't know if this Helps)
About note 1: It's mystery to me, tested again and works well.
The script that is called for activating (by right-click) is "loadmodule", so can you do in terminal e.g. :

loadmodule -a /path/to/yourmodule.squashfs
And post the output ?
(and loadmodule -d /path/to/yourmodule.squashfs is for deactivating)
Forget about the "loadsfs" script, it's meant for something similar but not important right now.
For note 2, again very strange, just works fine for me mounting changes.dat or any squashfs or .iso.
Please post also the output of e.g.:

filemnt /path/to/changes.dat
filemnt is the script that does the mounting

I have also old computer with 2GB RAM

@dancytron or anyone, can you try and see if you can reproduce the problems trister has ?

Fred

belham2

#471 Post by belham2 »

Hi Fred,

[ignore everything I just wrote] :wink:

...let me try something here, about ready to hit myself between the eyes for possibly confusing the partitions.....

[edit #2 update]

yes, we have liftoff NASA...all is good, Fred, both of my builds are now booting! Will post from one in a second, with a DE pic. (don't ask me what I was doing wrong...I am ashamed, lol, I swear I've been drinking from the dumb-bottle tonight)!!

trister

StretchDog64 v02 mounting squashfs problem

#472 Post by trister »

fredx181 wrote: ...
About note 1: It's mystery to me, tested again and works well.
The script that is called for activating (by right-click) is "loadmodule", so can you do in terminal e.g. :

loadmodule -a /path/to/yourmodule.squashfs
And post the output ?
(and loadmodule -d /path/to/yourmodule.squashfs is for deactivating)
Forget about the "loadsfs" script, it's meant for something similar but not important right now.
For note 2, again very strange, just works fine for me mounting changes.dat or any squashfs or .iso.
Please post also the output of e.g.:

filemnt /path/to/changes.dat
filemnt is the script that does the mounting

About note 1:

root@stretch64:/mnt/sda5/puppy_debiandog64/live# loadmodule -a /mnt/sda5/puppy_debiandog64/live/dosbox_captive_.squashfs
squashfs
mount: /mnt/sda5/puppy_debiandog64/live/dosbox_captive_.squashfs: failed to setup loop device: No such device or address
SUCCESS: Module 'dosbox_captive_.squashfs' activated
find: '/mnt/live/memory/images/dosbox_captive_.squashfs/usr/share/icons': No such file or directory
A window opens and says mounting was successful

About note 2:
tried mounting my jessie changes.dat file

root@stretch64:/mnt/sda5/puppy_debiandog64/live# filemnt /mnt/sda5/puppy_debiandog64/changes3.dat
stat: cannot stat '/mnt/sda5/puppy_StretchDog64/live/atom-amd64_1.1.12_': No such file or directory

### Mount: /mnt/sda5/puppy_debiandog64/changes3.dat

mount: /mnt/sda5/puppy_debiandog64/changes3.dat: failed to setup loop device: No such device or address
A RED window opens and says failed mounting.

In general no mounting work after booting up and I have been doing the same things in DD64 jessie for almost 1 year.
I do not have access to any other 64bit PC at this time to test Stretch there. Anyway DDJessie runs without any problems here.

I tried mounting the file from my ext2 USB stick (in case It was an NTFS problem -since sda1,sda5 are NTFS) but it wasn't this

During boot I see an ERROR about proc/stat and cpufreq (in case any of this is related)

(EDIT)
I tried your older StretchDog64TEST.iso (https://github.com/fredx181/StretchDog/ ... 4-TEST.iso)
and mounting WORKS!!!
So, the problem should be in something that got an upgrade.
I hope this helps.

(I also tried StretchDog32 and it also works ok)
(/EDIT)
Last edited by trister on Thu 03 Aug 2017, 14:35, edited 1 time in total.

fredx181

#473 Post by fredx181 »

Thanks trister, your latest info can probably bring us further to a solution.

Can it be that when booting newest Stetchdog64 you have multiple (7 or more maybe?) modules loaded at boot (in live folder) and not when you tested older version ?
I'm thinking in the direction that the cause of your problem has to do with no more free loop devices available.
Not sure if it solves it but worth a try to do in terminal:

for i in {8..63}; do if [ -e /dev/loop$i ]; then continue; fi; \
mknod /dev/loop$i b 7 $i; chown --reference=/dev/loop0 /dev/loop$i; \
chmod --reference=/dev/loop0 /dev/loop$i; done
It should give 63 loop devices in /dev.
And try if mounting or activating works then.
Don't think this will survive a reboot, but anyway we can know more about the cause if this works.

P.S. One thing I don't understand from one of your output:

root@stretch64:/mnt/sda5/puppy_debiandog64/live# filemnt /mnt/sda5/puppy_debiandog64/changes3.dat
stat: cannot stat '/mnt/sda5/puppy_StretchDog64/live/atom-amd64_1.1.12_': No such file or directory

Any idea where does the "puppy_StretchDog64/live/atom-amd64_1.1.12" come from ?

Fred

trister

StretchDog64-2017-07-04.iso v02 mounting squashfs problem

#474 Post by trister »

fredx181 wrote:Thanks trister, your latest info can probably bring us further to a solution.

Can it be that when booting newest Stetchdog64 you have multiple (7 or more maybe?) modules loaded at boot (in live folder) and not when you tested older version ?
I'm thinking in the direction that the cause of your problem has to do with no more free loop devices available.
Not sure if it solves it but worth a try to do in terminal:

for i in {8..63}; do if [ -e /dev/loop$i ]; then continue; fi; \
mknod /dev/loop$i b 7 $i; chown --reference=/dev/loop0 /dev/loop$i; \
chmod --reference=/dev/loop0 /dev/loop$i; done
It should give 63 loop devices in /dev.
And try if mounting or activating works then.
Don't think this will survive a reboot, but anyway we can know more about the cause if this works.

P.S. One thing I don't understand from one of your output:

Any idea where does the "puppy_StretchDog64/live/atom-amd64_1.1.12" come from ?

Fred
---
I don't think it is cause of multiple squashfs in live folder.
I always keep a "vanilla" frugal install folder which contains only 01-filesystem.squashfs.
Even the "vanilla" version can't mount anything after bootup.

I have already tested both of your github ISOs v01 and v02. Older v01 mounts normal but v02 has the same problems.
In this pastebin you can see the squashfs I have in both v01 and v02. They are identical but onl;y v01 mounts after boot : https://pastebin.com/NquRw1aG

Just for information this is an example of My current debiandog64 JESSIE live folder : https://pastebin.com/8pPK24ub

---

I have runned your script.
After running doing ls -l in the /dev folder I have this : https://pastebin.com/gA3kHHVA
Before running it I had this : https://pastebin.com/FdFLRQTi

Still mounting does not work

----
atom-amd64_1.1.12.squashfs is a squashfs file that I was using (and was working ok in DebianStretch64 v02 -from live folder) I don't know why it showed as an error so I have removed it -just-in-case.

---------------

I think the error is created in
script loadmodule in line 163
mount -o loop $BUNDLE $CHNGS/$BUNDLE
this line produces the error " failed to setup loop device: No such device or address".
Somehow during upgrade something messed this up ( I tried downgrading versions by installing mount_2.26.2-6_amd64.deb , sfsload_1.0.1_all.deb , portablesfs-loadsfs-fuse_1.0.4_all.deb but nothing changed)
Last edited by trister on Thu 03 Aug 2017, 14:37, edited 2 times in total.

trister

#475 Post by trister »

I did a modification to loadmodule and it worked (kind of)

I replaced line 162 :

mount -o loop $BUNDLE $CHNGS/$BUNDLE
(which produced the error "failed to setup loop device: No such device or address")

With this :

losetup /dev/loop62 $BUNDLE
  mount /dev/loop62 $CHNGS/$BUNDLE
=I did the mount static to loop62 and it worked (for 1 file at least)

I don't know what that means and how to fix this but it might mean something to you.

My whole loadmodule is here : https://pastebin.com/c6tEtpHm

fredx181

#476 Post by fredx181 »

Hi trister,

I still think it has to do with limited amount of (free) loop devices, and need to be set with the right permissions.
Can you try booting with the initrd1.xz from here (I modified the init script inside):
https://fredx181.github.io/StretchDog/a ... ges/Fixes/

Good chance it will work because of creating 64 loop devices (with the right permissions) at early (init) stage. I tested successfully mounting 15 .squashfs files (didn't go up to 64, but should be possible in theory, I think).
EDIT: Forgot to mention, with the default included initrd1.xz, I was only able to mount 7 squashfs's, the 8th gave an error.

Fred

trister

#477 Post by trister »

fredx181 wrote:Hi trister,

I still think it has to do with limited amount of (free) loop devices, and need to be set with the right permissions.
Can you try booting with the initrd1.xz from here (I modified the init script inside):
https://fredx181.github.io/StretchDog/a ... ges/Fixes/

Good chance it will work because of creating 64 loop devices (with the right permissions) at early (init) stage. I tested successfully mounting 15 .squashfs files (didn't go up to 64, but should be possible in theory, I think).
EDIT: Forgot to mention, with the default included initrd1.xz, I was only able to mount 7 squashfs's, the 8th gave an error.

Fred
ok I will try this.
If you checked https://pastebin.com/NquRw1aG in your previous v01 release of DD I had mounted during bootup (from live folder) about 40 squashfs without problems. In Jessie I have even more loaded at bootup.
_______--
(..deleted..)
_____
(EDIT)I tried it and mounting WORKED!!! Thanks for your time. I'll do some more tests with more squashfs and I will report feedback here (/EDIT)
(edit2)
I manually activated from PCfileman 20squashfs and I reached 53 mounted squashfs files in total. I can mount changes.dat files with any problems with the new initrd1
(/edit2)

Thanks for your quick fixes

fredx181

#478 Post by fredx181 »

Ha ! Great !
Can't explain why you had no such problems on Jessie and why newest Stretch needs this workaround, but ok, it works as it should now, I guess.

Before you edited, I read that you wonder about what's the limit of loop devices.
I read somewhere that the limit is 256, so I just remade and uploaded new initrd1.xz (replaced here: https://fredx181.github.io/StretchDog/a ... ges/Fixes/ ) creating 255 loop devices (/dev gets very full this way).
Hope that's enough? :wink: :) (don't know if loop-mounting all is really possible,btw)

Fred

trister

#479 Post by trister »

fredx181 wrote:Ha ! Great !
Can't explain why you had no such problems on Jessie and why newest Stretch needs this workaround, but ok, it works as it should now, I guess.

Before you edited, I read that you wonder about what's the limit of loop devices.
I read somewhere that the limit is 256, so I just remade and uploaded new initrd1.xz (replaced here: https://fredx181.github.io/StretchDog/a ... ges/Fixes/ ) creating 255 loop devices (/dev gets very full this way).
Hope that's enough? :wink: :) (don't know if loop-mounting all is really possible,btw)

Fred
Ok Thanks.

I am using now the latest initrd1.xz with the 255 loop devices. It works ok - I have reached 60 mounted files.

trister

StretchDog64-2017-07-04.iso

#480 Post by trister »

So far testing for StretchDog64-2017-07-04 with the new initrd1.gz goes ok.
I have begun my transition from DD64 Jessie to DD64Stretch and making/re-creating squashfs files.

I have some minor issues (like conky transparency) but they are not that important.

Do you have anywhere the locale files?

I think I'm posting too much in the JessieDog Thread about StretchDog...

fredx181

#481 Post by fredx181 »

Hi trister,

There is no locales.squashfs, I might make it later in time, but if you want to make yourself, here's how I always do:

First reinstall, but download only, all installed packages, will take some time...

#Download all installed packages.
for pkg in `dpkg --get-selections | awk '{print $1}' | egrep -v '(mysql|mythtv)'` ; do apt-get -y --force-yes install --reinstall $pkg -d ; done
Then (better) copy from /var/cache/apt/archives/ all deb files to a location with lots of free space (create empty folder there first and paste in there)
Say you copied to folder named "allinstalled", open terminal in there, and:

# Extract the deb packages.
for arg in *.deb ; do 
dpkg -x "$arg" . 
done
Ok, wait a while and you see the filesystem hierarchy (of almost all software installed)
Create again new empty folder say "locales" (from which the locales.squashfs will be made from)
In terminal from that dir. 'locales'

mkdir -p usr/share
Then go back to the filesystem hierarchy, open usr/share and copy the locale folder to your new created 'locales'/usr/share folder, so you get 'locales'/usr/share/locale with all the locale content inside.
Then from parent dir. of 'locales' :

mksquashfs locales locales-stretch.squashfs
Hope it's clear enough

P.S. It's OK for me to post here about Stretch, as long as it's clear that it's about Stretch

EDIT: For the conky problem, it might help if you edit ~/.config/openbox/autostart.sh and move this block of code to the bottom (and put maybe some sleep time before it e.g. sleep 3):

if [ -f /mnt/live/tmp/modules ]; then
conky -c ~/.conkyrc-port &
else
conky -c ~/.conkyrc-live &
fi
If that doesn't help, some experimenting with the order of commands in autostart.sh might do

Fred

trister

StretchDog64-2017-07-04.iso with modifieinited1.gz

#482 Post by trister »

fredx181 wrote:Hi trister,

There is no locales.squashfs, I might make it later in time, but if you want to make yourself, here's how I always do:

EDIT: For the conky problem, it might help if you edit ~/.config/openbox/autostart.sh and move this block of code to the bottom (and put maybe some sleep time before it e.g. sleep 3):

if [ -f /mnt/live/tmp/modules ]; then
conky -c ~/.conkyrc-port &
else
conky -c ~/.conkyrc-live &
fi
If that doesn't help, some experimenting with the order of commands in autostart.sh might do

Fred
1. About the locale. I will try the TrinityDogStretch Locale squashfs and whenI get back to my PCs with the big ext2 drives and big RAM I will try your solution.
2. Coky problem was not solved . I've tried many other tutorials from the itnernet (using ROX desktop) . If I toggle once conky then the transparency problem is fixed so , I will try a script that toggles conky twice during start to workarround this problem.

trister

#483 Post by trister »

a general question:

Is there a reason why the 64bit versions use PCfileman and the 32bit Thunar file manager?

The first program I put in every distro is DoubleCommander ( doublecmd-0.7.8.gtk2.x86_64_v02.squashfs https://1fichier.com/?woc8zcrb16) .PCFileman has a dual window option but DoubleCmd is far better.
I am a Norton Commander / Total Commander fan. :)

backi

#484 Post by backi »

Hi trister !
Regarding Double Commander . Thanks for good tip . :D

Downloaded portable version from :
https://sourceforge.net/p/doublecmd/wiki/Download/
https://sourceforge.net/projects/double ... z/download

Is there any possibility to mount Partitions with DC ?

Quite interesting ! Cheers !

trister

#485 Post by trister »

backi wrote: ...
Is there any possibility to mount Partitions with DC ?

Quite interesting ! Cheers !
Mounting drives + activating squashfs files is the main reason I open PCmanFM.
As far as I know Double Commander does not has build in mounting functionality for drives.

Maybe if you add as a custom Action or associate drive folder with a custom script (when you right click on a folder inside DoubleCommander File pane). I don't have the linux knowledge to help you more with this -but I suspect that it souldn't be much difficult.

Double commander has many stuff build in and saves me a LOT of time for may file related jobs (compare,search, mass rename, batch copy/move, FTP transfer , view/edit files , combine/split/compress/decompress files and many more)

Btw, if I double click on a squashfs file it mounts it in the same way that PCManFM would mount it with double click.
Also, the .squashfs I posted in my previous post is the amd64 portable version with a .desktop file

(edit)
It seems DoubleCommander is supposed to HAVE mounting capabilities https://doublecmd.github.io/doc/en/help.html (check 3.3. Drives button bar). For some reason I can't see unmounted drives.
(/edit)