DebianDog64 - 64 bit DebianDog-Jessie

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
fredx181

#481 Post by fredx181 »

Hi trister,

There is no locales.squashfs, I might make it later in time, but if you want to make yourself, here's how I always do:

First reinstall, but download only, all installed packages, will take some time...

Code: Select all

#Download all installed packages.
for pkg in `dpkg --get-selections | awk '{print $1}' | egrep -v '(mysql|mythtv)'` ; do apt-get -y --force-yes install --reinstall $pkg -d ; done
Then (better) copy from /var/cache/apt/archives/ all deb files to a location with lots of free space (create empty folder there first and paste in there)
Say you copied to folder named "allinstalled", open terminal in there, and:

# Extract the deb packages.
for arg in *.deb ; do 
dpkg -x "$arg" . 
done
Ok, wait a while and you see the filesystem hierarchy (of almost all software installed)
Create again new empty folder say "locales" (from which the locales.squashfs will be made from)
In terminal from that dir. 'locales'

mkdir -p usr/share
Then go back to the filesystem hierarchy, open usr/share and copy the locale folder to your new created 'locales'/usr/share folder, so you get 'locales'/usr/share/locale with all the locale content inside.
Then from parent dir. of 'locales' :

mksquashfs locales locales-stretch.squashfs
Hope it's clear enough

P.S. It's OK for me to post here about Stretch, as long as it's clear that it's about Stretch

EDIT: For the conky problem, it might help if you edit ~/.config/openbox/autostart.sh and move this block of code to the bottom (and put maybe some sleep time before it e.g. sleep 3):

if [ -f /mnt/live/tmp/modules ]; then
conky -c ~/.conkyrc-port &
else
conky -c ~/.conkyrc-live &
fi
If that doesn't help, some experimenting with the order of commands in autostart.sh might do

Fred

trister

StretchDog64-2017-07-04.iso with modifieinited1.gz

#482 Post by trister »

fredx181 wrote:Hi trister,

There is no locales.squashfs, I might make it later in time, but if you want to make yourself, here's how I always do:

EDIT: For the conky problem, it might help if you edit ~/.config/openbox/autostart.sh and move this block of code to the bottom (and put maybe some sleep time before it e.g. sleep 3):

if [ -f /mnt/live/tmp/modules ]; then
conky -c ~/.conkyrc-port &
else
conky -c ~/.conkyrc-live &
fi
If that doesn't help, some experimenting with the order of commands in autostart.sh might do

Fred
1. About the locale. I will try the TrinityDogStretch Locale squashfs and whenI get back to my PCs with the big ext2 drives and big RAM I will try your solution.
2. Coky problem was not solved . I've tried many other tutorials from the itnernet (using ROX desktop) . If I toggle once conky then the transparency problem is fixed so , I will try a script that toggles conky twice during start to workarround this problem.

trister

#483 Post by trister »

a general question:

Is there a reason why the 64bit versions use PCfileman and the 32bit Thunar file manager?

The first program I put in every distro is DoubleCommander ( doublecmd-0.7.8.gtk2.x86_64_v02.squashfs https://1fichier.com/?woc8zcrb16) .PCFileman has a dual window option but DoubleCmd is far better.
I am a Norton Commander / Total Commander fan. :)

backi

#484 Post by backi »

Hi trister !
Regarding Double Commander . Thanks for good tip . :D

Downloaded portable version from :
https://sourceforge.net/p/doublecmd/wiki/Download/
https://sourceforge.net/projects/double ... z/download

Is there any possibility to mount Partitions with DC ?

Quite interesting ! Cheers !

trister

#485 Post by trister »

backi wrote: ...
Is there any possibility to mount Partitions with DC ?

Quite interesting ! Cheers !
Mounting drives + activating squashfs files is the main reason I open PCmanFM.
As far as I know Double Commander does not has build in mounting functionality for drives.

Maybe if you add as a custom Action or associate drive folder with a custom script (when you right click on a folder inside DoubleCommander File pane). I don't have the linux knowledge to help you more with this -but I suspect that it souldn't be much difficult.

Double commander has many stuff build in and saves me a LOT of time for may file related jobs (compare,search, mass rename, batch copy/move, FTP transfer , view/edit files , combine/split/compress/decompress files and many more)

Btw, if I double click on a squashfs file it mounts it in the same way that PCManFM would mount it with double click.
Also, the .squashfs I posted in my previous post is the amd64 portable version with a .desktop file

(edit)
It seems DoubleCommander is supposed to HAVE mounting capabilities https://doublecmd.github.io/doc/en/help.html (check 3.3. Drives button bar). For some reason I can't see unmounted drives.
(/edit)

backi

#486 Post by backi »

it seems DoubleCommander is supposed to HAVE mounting capabilities https://doublecmd.github.io/doc/en/help.html (check 3.3. Drives button bar). For some reason I can't see unmounted drives.
Not really. Clicking mounting drives does not what it should do .
But not a big deal .

Regards !

jd7654

Couldn't find matching GLX visual

#487 Post by jd7654 »

Wonder if this rings a bell:

Getting an error/failure on Debian Dog Linux, many different versions such as DebianDog64 Jessie, StretchDog64:

Program is game emulator mednafen, should only require SDL 1.2, which appears to be there.
Installs and works fine in all full Linux distros, all current Puppy Linux and Dpup alpha, with various versions of program based on particular distro.

Installs fine but fails when executed in all Debain Dog Linux.

dancytron

Re: Couldn't find matching GLX visual

#488 Post by dancytron »

jd7654 wrote:Wonder if this rings a bell:

Getting an error/failure on Debian Dog Linux, many different versions such as DebianDog64 Jessie, StretchDog64:

Program is game emulator mednafen, should only require SDL 1.2, which appears to be there.
Installs and works fine in all full Linux distros, all current Puppy Linux and Dpup alpha, with various versions of program based on particular distro.

Installs fine but fails when executed in all Debain Dog Linux.
Have you installed mesa dri lib yet? I don't have it in front of me, but the name has lib mesa dri in it. Install that and mesa_utils. Reboot or restart x. In a terminal type glxgears to see if it works. Then try your program again.

jd7654

#489 Post by jd7654 »

dancytron wrote:Have you installed mesa dri lib yet? I don't have it in front of me, but the name has lib mesa dri in it. Install that and mesa_utils. Reboot or restart x. In a terminal type glxgears to see if it works. Then try your program again.
Aha! Figured someone knew what that was.

That's what DD was missing. Installed libgl1-mesa-dri and that fixed it.
Whoa, that's a chunk of space. No wonder the DD size was so small. :wink:

dancytron

#490 Post by dancytron »

jd7654 wrote:
dancytron wrote:Have you installed mesa dri lib yet? I don't have it in front of me, but the name has lib mesa dri in it. Install that and mesa_utils. Reboot or restart x. In a terminal type glxgears to see if it works. Then try your program again.
Aha! Figured someone knew what that was.

That's what DD was missing. Installed libgl1-mesa-dri and that fixed it.
Whoa, that's a chunk of space. No wonder the DD size was so small. :wink:
Yes, Debian Dog doesn't have a lot of things by default that Puppy has. Mesa dri, office programs, and cups are big ones. Puppy has done a lot of work to be so small and still include those things.

rcrsn51

#491 Post by rcrsn51 »

moved.

trister

StretchDog64 PS1 question

#492 Post by trister »

Question about PS1 command prompt:

In DebianDog64 jessie I set the command prompt in /etc/profile.d/git_bash_prompt.sh

and it works ok (loaded ok from inside file /etc/profile)

In StretchDog64 I noticed that /etc/profile is ignored ( I even commented out the line that seem to load bash.bashrc ) and my script for setting custom PS1 do not load.

The only way of changing globlally PS1 is by directly changing /etc/bash.bashrc .

For some reason ROXterm and the other terminals command prompt is loaded by bash.bashrc
The prompt changes if I run the script manually in Stretch (./etc/profile.d/git_bash_prompt.sh) so it is not an incompability issue of my script.

I expected the same behaviour in both Jessie and Stretch.

Thanks again for that great Distro :)

fredx181

Re: StretchDog64 PS1 question

#493 Post by fredx181 »

trister wrote:Question about PS1 command prompt:

In DebianDog64 jessie I set the command prompt in /etc/profile.d/git_bash_prompt.sh

and it works ok (loaded ok from inside file /etc/profile)

In StretchDog64 I noticed that /etc/profile is ignored ( I even commented out the line that seem to load bash.bashrc ) and my script for setting custom PS1 do not load.

The only way of changing globlally PS1 is by directly changing /etc/bash.bashrc .

For some reason ROXterm and the other terminals command prompt is loaded by bash.bashrc
The prompt changes if I run the script manually in Stretch (./etc/profile.d/git_bash_prompt.sh) so it is not an incompability issue of my script.

I expected the same behaviour in both Jessie and Stretch.

Thanks again for that great Distro :)
Yes, I tested with some script to export PS1 from /etc/profile.d and indeed doesn't show color prompt.
However when I tested other script with another command it worked (so executing from /etc/profile.d works)
No idea how to really solve this, possible workaround:
Add a line in ~/.bashrc that sources your script e.g.:

. /path/to/git_bash_prompt.sh
I tested with similar script (export PS1=....), and worked

Fred

trister

StretchDog64 command prompt problem PS1

#494 Post by trister »

Just a note :
I put another script in /etc/profile.d with the following lines:

test_profile_d_startup.sh:

export CURSOR01="\u@\h:\w \[$ORANGE\]\$(vcprompt -f '[%n:%b%u%m] ')\[$RESET\]\$ "
export PS2="PS2set test "
export PS1="PS1set test "
After rebooting ONLY CURSOR01 variable was visible with the "env" command.

Then if I manually run :

. /etc/profile.d/test_profile_d_startup.sh
then PS1, PS2, CURSOR01 are created ok

so, my thought is that for some reason only PS1,PS2.. can't be changed

trister

StretchDog64-2017-07-04.iso v02 with modified initrd

#495 Post by trister »

StretchDog and DebianDog Jessie are based based on Debian Live.
Do you mean this Debian Live : https://www.debian.org/CD/live/ ?[/quote]

Also, for testing booable ISOs I have created this :
qemu28_all_v03a_170829_qemu_test_iso.sh.squashfs : https://1fichier.com/?fgwj5p5jbz
If you type eg :

qemu_test_iso.sh /sda1/mydiskimage.iso
[/b]
it will launch a virtual machine that runs the ISO you have specified. I used this option a LOT in windows (dragging and dropping to xboot) to test bootable ISO and I was missing something that simple in linux.

Again my custom StretchDog64 packages: https://1fichier.com/dir/hw5uWJMs
DebianDog64 Jessie Custom packages : https://1fichier.com/dir/yrNVkOXR
DebianDog64 Jessie using apt2sfs : https://1fichier.com/dir/NdXhPAXZ

Custom packages are made by extracting .DEB files adding some libraries and maybe menu entries and then creating a .SQUASHFS from them.
As I said before these are packages that are made for my system and I hope that other people might find them useful also. :)

wiak

#496 Post by wiak »

trister,

the link to you qemu doesn't seem to work

wiak

trister

StretchDog64-2017-07-04.iso v02

#497 Post by trister »

wiak wrote:trister,

the link to you qemu doesn't seem to work

wiak
It works but sometime -cause of the ad popups- it might not work the first time...
I'll try to activate the free leech of the file when I can so people will not have that issues

trister

StretchDog64 how to enable login

#498 Post by trister »

Hello again.
I have another question.
How can I enable the login screen/box in StretchDog64 ?
Thanks again in advance :)

fredx181

#499 Post by fredx181 »

trister wrote:How can I enable the login screen/box in StretchDog64 ?
By installing a login manager, I'd recommend slim:

apt-get install slim
Will install custom slim package, with menu entry enable/disable
After install (and reboot) it will be enabled and autologin as root, to change that, go in /etc/slim.conf and edit e.g:

default_user        root
auto_login          yes
as desired e.g. default as another user or "auto_login no"

Fred

trister

DebianDog64Stretch

#500 Post by trister »

fredx181 wrote:
trister wrote:How can I enable the login screen/box in StretchDog64 ?
By installing a login manager, I'd recommend slim:

apt-get install slim
Will install custom slim package, with menu entry enable/disable
After install (and reboot) it will be enabled and autologin as root, to change that, go in /etc/slim.conf and edit e.g:

default_user        root
auto_login          yes
as desired e.g. default as another user or "auto_login no"

Fred
It doesn't work. Maybe it is because I'm using ROXpinboard.

Btw, I have made and tried google-talkplugin_current_amd64.deb_170905_v01_.squashfs https://1fichier.com/?6iyjgicx96 it works well with Chromium.
Also, skypeforlinux-64_170801d-deb_v01.squashfs works but it need v5+ skype from the other side to communicate (skype is droping support for v4)