Opera 32 bit

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
hamoudoudou

FYI upupbb bionic delivered with opera 45.0 by csipesz.

#16 Post by hamoudoudou »

FYI upupbb bionic delivered with opera 45.0 by csipesz.
Blue icon on LH : messenger
Attachments
messenger.jpg
messenger
(55.29 KiB) Downloaded 422 times

michel804

Re: Opera at version 36 - pet to create menu entry

#17 Post by michel804 »

mikeslr wrote:Hi All,

As I explore many puppies, I prefer running browsers either as SFSes or from folders located on /mnt/home. As you may also know currently my default browser is slimjet. But slimjet presents a problem. Puppies may be built from Ubuntu, or Slackware or debian or, theoretically, any other distro's binaries. With slimjet, one size doesn't fit all.

Opera, on the other hand, appears to. I've used the same deployment from /mnt/home in MintPup, Tahrpup and am currently posting from pupjibaro -- built from debian jessie binaries. [Edit: Did not work under Slacko 5.7, perhaps as I started with the deb opera provides for Ubuntu/debian. Also did not work under Carolina Vanguard].

There are things I don't like about the "new" opera. The old --thru 12.16-- opera was self contained: its config and cache held within its folder, thus --when on /mnt/home-- outside one's SaveFile. New versions place those folders in /root. Consequently, like palemoon or firefox it is advisable to move them out of that location/the SaveFile and symlink them back.

And while opera uses the blink engine. opera's extensions aren't as extensive as Chromium or Slimjet. Still, it is fast and it's nice to have a browser you can use as soon as you establish an internet connection, without even having to install it so you can test and explore even before creating a SaveFile/folder.

The location of opera's executable has changed. Consequently, the pet I previously made to create a menu entry had to be modified. I've attached it for your convenience. To use it "as is" you'll only have to do the following:

(1) Download the compressed file from opera -- as I was running Tahrpup, it offered and I accepted the ".deb".
(2) Extract the file.
(3) Rename the folder created by extraction "opera32-36" -- without the quotes. [I have 64-bit Puppies, and also run 64-bit opera. And the download was of opera's version 36. Ergo, the specific name I used.]
(4) Install the pet.

Creating a menu entry makes it possible to specify opera in launchers.

mikesLr
Do you have an sfs for slacko 6.3.2 ? Thanks