A view from CES2016. Would a Robot use your Puppy laptop?

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
gcmartin

A view from CES2016. Would a Robot use your Puppy laptop?

#1 Post by gcmartin »

This is day 3 of CES and one of the fascinating maturing of technology is occurring. I should have expected it, because, in a store in my community, I found that I could get a smart vacuum that would do cleaning without for a ridiculously cheap price of $70. If you have seen the iRobot Roomba, then you probably know its priced in the several hundred of dollars(US). "What a drop", I thought.

Today, I see why. And this article helps you see what I am seeing.

Now, I sit and ponder how can a helper, whose current interface with me is both bluetooth (smartPhone) and visual do helpful things for me on my PUP laptop?

Here's the dilemma:
Our smartPhone is your new arm which helps you do all sorts of things from opening your garage door as you approach it, to controlling house/apartment's temp to unlocking car do and integrating itself into your car's psyche to ... This is now, our way of life...even if you dont use it. Now, industry is moving to provide useful robotics which, in the home, will be very useful (which it is no stretch to envision it as your central home's information manager). So when I want to do something with my Puppy Linux laptop, Can I tell my robot to do it?

This is what we will be doing if we live long enough. It is things that some/many of us will be doing within 2-4 years; so its not that long from now.

I love my Puppy. But, I see a real use of my Robot (I saw this at an Auto Show last year where is came over to you and began talking to you as if it were a salesman...in whatever language you respond in.)

Incredible and also useful on a number of levels.

Edit: 1st paragraph, 2nd sentence change of typo "be" to "get".
Last edited by gcmartin on Fri 08 Jan 2016, 18:43, edited 1 time in total.

01micko

#2 Post by 01micko »

Part of the problem is being told what we need...

The main problem is us.

(login to puppy forum needed to view above links)
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

russoodle

#3 Post by russoodle »

Is it me and my brain-drain, gcmartin? I'm afraid your first sentence/paragraph makes diddlysquat in the sense department to me...perhaps if you give me your external IP address, i can login and get you to do my dishes (as well as my vacuuming..).. :?
[i][color=Green][size=92]The mud-elephant, wading thru the sea, leaves no tracks..[/size][/color][/i]

8Geee

#4 Post by 8Geee »

I've been reading that the US Marshalls raided a few booths relating to hoverboards.

Did someone put gunpowder in the batteries? LOL
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

bigpup

#5 Post by bigpup »

8Geee wrote:I've been reading that the US Marshalls raided a few booths relating to hoverboards.

Did someone put gunpowder in the batteries? LOL
They were illegal hoverboard knock offs.
Another company had the patent on the design.

Something about a single wheel design.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

solo

#6 Post by solo »

You don't have to ask your robot to do something on your laptop GC, it has already been taken care of.
You see, we'll be collecting so much information about you that we are able to deduct some specific intent from your behavior, and so we will simply take care of those little things, so you can focus on more important matters.

Relax!