How to get Intel 845 Chipset working in Puppy?

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
ecomoney

How to get Intel 845 Chipset working in Puppy?

#1 Post by ecomoney »

I am working with a newer pc pc that has the intel 845 chipset (an IMB Netvista). Its a dual boot windows xp/puppy pc. The chipset wouldnt work by default so Ive shoved an old Verge s3Trio64V card in it but now windows xp will only run at 640x480 and S3 have discontinued the drivers. I should really put it higher up my priority list to get xp working properly again (for now).

What would I need to do to get the 845 chipset working in puppy so I can take the card back out? Intels seem to be the only video that doesnt work properly out-of-the-box in puppy. Why is this?
Puppy Linux's [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=296352#296352]Mission[/url]

Sorry, my server is down atm!

MU

#2 Post by MU »

which Puppy?

I would try for the intel:
run xorgwizard, start X.
If it fails, copy
/var/log/Xorg.0.log somewhere you can access it from another system, start with a different system, and attach that log here.

This log indicates errors (and how to solve them).
Mark

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#3 Post by Flash »

Have you checked the Intel website? Intel often makes Linux drivers for its chipsets available on the Intel website. I don't know how hard it would be to make the driver work with Puppy.

ecomoney

Puppy Version

#4 Post by ecomoney »

Sorry, yes its running 2.02r1, soon to be upgraded to the new 2.02 with NTFS support. I did some experiments today after I posted and found that windows does work with the 845 chipset (its built into the board). It means that when we boot XP, we must switch the monitor to the onboard card and back to the trioS3v when were running puppy! Wierd!

Im only at the office once or twice a week, I will remove the card and run puppy again on the 845. It did actually work but only in psudocolour and 640x480 so Im not sure there will be an error log to send, but I will post it next time Im in.

Something Ive noticed about xorg running in a machine with two video cards is that it tries to set up to run on dual monitors. Ive edited the xorg.conf file in the past to remove the onboard entry, or Ive just ran with xvesa.
Puppy Linux's [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=296352#296352]Mission[/url]

ecomoney

Test Case Lost

#5 Post by ecomoney »

At the time this errent machine was my spare one for my 1 day a week job (who needs more than that?!). (Un)fortunetly the owner of the business decided to run windows update on his 700mhz machine and all hell let loose. After a week without access to his contact database he has ridded himself of the beast of Redmund entirely and is now running 100% Puppy Linux, sleeping at night, having a second honeymoon with his wife...etc...etc....

This means that the 2mb card is staying in his PC which is now business critical and Im unable to access it to get the 845 video data off it.

Solution to this problem..wipe off windows, wap a cheap card in, set the bios to primary display adaptor "PCI" wather than AGP away you go. Would be nice to see native intel support for cards as they are so often included with motherboards, both 815 and 845.

richard.a

#6 Post by richard.a »

I hear you.

I have two machines with Intel 8xx onboard, both PIII-MMX, and I've mentioned this problem in another thread in connection (perhaps) with an HP Pavilion, and a few minutes ago in the other thread to which you posted this situation.

I might take up the suggestion further up about Intel writing Linux drivers. Was under the impression they didn't. Laterz :)

Richard used to live in East Anglia :)
Richard in Australia
[i]Have you noticed editing is always needed for the inevitable typos that weren't there when you hit the "post" button?[/i]

[img]http://micro-hard.dreamhosters.com/416434.png[/img]

richard.a

#7 Post by richard.a »

I hear you.

I have two machines with Intel 8xx onboard, both PIII-MMX, and I've mentioned this problem in another thread in connection (perhaps) with an HP Pavilion, and a few minutes ago in the other thread to which you posted this situation.

I might take up the suggestion further up about Intel writing Linux drivers. Was under the impression they didn't. Laterz :)

Richard used to live in East Anglia :)
since 1965 in Australia

PS
phpBB : Critical Error

Could not connect to the database
Grrrrr the forum host seems to have acute bandwidth problems every time I go to upload a comment. Maybe there's a message there, lol!

But it is really frusterating... five times with several minutes gap between each attempt. And it refuses to update existing pages too. Over half an hour leaving it up currently, trying to upload and refresh.

Seriously, this is becoming a real pain the the proverbial for me.

Richard
[i]Have you noticed editing is always needed for the inevitable typos that weren't there when you hit the "post" button?[/i]

[img]http://micro-hard.dreamhosters.com/416434.png[/img]