What Puppy for IBM Thinkpad r50e?

Booting, installing, newbie
simion85

#1 Post by simion85 »

Hello, will have my first laptop soon,lol, and was wondering what puppy version would be good for it?
Other specs i can tell that it will have 512 ram, 40G Hdd.
I've seen in a post around here that the latest puppy will not work on my laptop and i shoud use 5.8 or something, don' t remember sorry.
I use 6.3 on my Pc and it works fine, but i took the usb to try to run it at my work , where i have some small Pc , the size of my palm, and it gets stuck at welcome screen, its strange, cause i thought the latest puppy version u have, the better.
If i have 512 ram i shoud not make a swap partition,right? I read numerous posts, very confusing.
Thank you and sorry about any mistakes i made writting this, english is not my native lang.

starhawk

#2 Post by starhawk »

Simion, here are the specs for your laptop --> http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:R50e

...well, as much as can be determined without the Type #. Thinkpad models are subdivided into Types, each of which has a four-digit code on the underside of the system. IBM/Lenovo are the only ones that do this... I wish they wouldn't, lol, it just makes things harder.

*ahem* You probably want to avoid any Puppy that includes "PAE" at the end of it, as most Pentium M systems and all Celeron M systems are incompatible with that -- meaning that a PAE-enabled Pup will not boot at all.

You should also look into a RAM upgrade. The world has changed -- Puppy will boot and run okayishly on 512mb, but if you're doing anything with Internet you should have at least a gigabyte, which your Thinkpad of choice will permit. I do see, in a brief Google search, that some people have been able to make 2gb fit into that laptop -- but there apparently are some brands of RAM that Thinkpads do not 'like' at that capacity, and it causes them to have trouble booting.

Are you in the US? If so I can probably send you another 512mb stick of RAM to put in, no charge -- just tell me your mailing address. (I have to check and make sure I have it first, though, I may have gotten rid of all my DDR1 laptop RAM.) I know, I know, spooky. Other members here have gotten things from me and can attest, I think -- although it has been a while since I've done that.

If you are NOT in the US, please tell me what country you are in, and I will search eBay and find you an excellent deal on RAM if I can. (I have been told I'm good at finding deals on eBay.)

Having said all of that -- I will refrain from suggesting a specific Pup, because I know I have odd preferences compared to a lot of folks on the forum, and I don't want to lead you in the wrong direction. You know your wants and needs, and I do not. If you want to tell us what you intend to do with this laptop and whatever Pup goes on it, along with your personal Puppy preferences for certain things (I like XFCE/Thunar over JWM/ROX, for example, and I'll take GNOME Mplayer (for videos) and Audacious (for MP3s) over all alternatives any day) I may be able to help more.

darry1966

#3 Post by darry1966 »

It has a Celeron M processor and requires NON-PAE kernel
Try this http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pu ... -6.3.0.iso

Failing that try Precise Retro: http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/precis ... -retro.iso

starhawk

#4 Post by starhawk »

@darry -- actually, there's at least a chance of either generation (Banias or Dothan) Pentium M, according to the link I posted.

I concur about non-PAE, though, and said as much in my post.

simion85

#5 Post by simion85 »

Thanks for the feedback starhawk, and yes u are right it's a Intel Celeron M 1300 Dothan.
I could try to find some ram at the same location i found this cheap laptop(around 20$), which brings me to my location, it's in Central Europe, Romania.
The purpose of the laptop is gonna be hopefully some beginner/amateur Html/CSS/java scrips/C++/data bases/servers/etc and listening to some music or watching some youtube videos. So i'm ok with okeyish :) for the moment, hopefully the videos will be ok too,lol .

Mike Walsh

#6 Post by Mike Walsh »

starhawk wrote:Having said all of that -- I will refrain from suggesting a specific Pup, because I know I have odd preferences compared to a lot of folks on the forum, and I don't want to lead you in the wrong direction.
^^^!!! :lol: :lol: Yup; odd preferences, indeed...

Don't take that the wrong way, Simion; starhawk's a good lad.....one of the best on here. You should feel very honoured; most of us don't get that kind of offer till we've been here at least a year or two...! :wink:

Nah, starhawk's as straight as a die; he ain't after owt (well; I don't think he is... ) :? :lol: Gives good advice, too; he knows his stuff. And you can take that to the bank.

Mike. :wink:

darry1966

#7 Post by darry1966 »

starhawk wrote:@darry -- actually, there's at least a chance of either generation (Banias or Dothan) Pentium M, according to the link I posted.

I concur about non-PAE, though, and said as much in my post.
Sorry Starhawk when I posted there was a delay, as you must have been posting at the same time and so I didn't read yours - opps.

simion85

#8 Post by simion85 »

then i wish starhawk to have a long and prosperous life :D. I've tried many linux distros and the last one was puppy, felt in love with it :)
and i am grateful starhawk speaks "english" to an amateur(noob :P ) linux user like me :)

darry1966

#9 Post by darry1966 »

simion85 wrote:then i wish starhawk to have a long and prosperous life :D. I've tried many linux distros and the last one was puppy, felt in love with it :)
and i am grateful starhawk speaks "english" to an amateur(noob :P ) linux user like me :)
Yes when it comes to old "Irons" like this he is the Mr Spock of old machines - his knowledge is extensive. By the way absolutely love the old Thinkpads I have a nice T42 so enjoy that machine.:)

starhawk

#10 Post by starhawk »

Hmmm... Romania. One of many, many countries I've not been to -- although, I will note that my father's family is part Russian, part Austro-Hungarian. Also, my surname is "Havel" :D (I'm not one of the better-known Havels, though, so it's not like Google will find me.) I know (literally) a few words of Russian, if that makes me friendlier ( Здрав

Sky Aisling

#11 Post by Sky Aisling »

simion85 Welcome to the Forum
If i have 512 ram i shoud not make a swap partition,right? I read numerous posts, very confusing.
Yes, do make a swap partition with that small of RAM. Make the partition at least twice the size of the RAM.

I could try to find some ram at the same location i found this cheap laptop(around 20$), which brings me to my location, it's in Central Europe, Romania.
simion85, I have an IBM Thinkpad type 2609 with all accessories in near new condition. I suspect the cost to ship it to your location may be prohibitive. But, if you'd like the machine and can pay the shipping, I'd be glad to send it to you. Anyone else on this forum also?

starhawk

#12 Post by starhawk »

Sky, can you give the full model (not just Type) for that Thinkpad? The ones I'm pulling up are positively antique -- we're talking Pentium II era Celerons here... that will barely walk Puppy let alone running it!

@simion --

I can offer no laptops, but I do have a small system I can outfit as a desktop. It's an HP t5630w that I'm not really doing anything with. I have a small laptop hard drive I can fit to it with ease... name your Pup of choice and it will be preinstalled before shipping :)

Stock specs & plenty of info --> http://www.parkytowers.me.uk/thin/hp/t5540/index.shtml

Mine has 2gb RAM, and will come with an 80gb Toshiba 1.8" drive (and the necessary adapter) instead of any integrated "Flash" (a 2gb SSD, basically -- trust me, you don't want it). I can virtually guarantee that it's better than any Pentium M or Celeron M system (it's about on par with an early Core Solo).

I'll need at minimum your postal code for a shipping quote.

Sky Aisling

#13 Post by Sky Aisling »

Right you are Starhawk! This machine is an antique. I had a senior moment thinking it was a different machine. :oops:
Could any of the accessories, like the external drive be helpful to simion85?
Last edited by Sky Aisling on Mon 11 Jan 2016, 03:13, edited 1 time in total.

starhawk

#14 Post by starhawk »

On something that out of date? Absolutely not.

Sky Aisling

#15 Post by Sky Aisling »

Apologies, simion85
I'm leaving the thread with my tail between my legs with embarrassment.
I'll leave you the good hands of Starhawk and others. :D

6502coder

#16 Post by 6502coder »

darry1966 suggested Slacko 6.3 and Precise 5.7.1 above, and I can agree. I have a similar laptop, an HP/Compaq with a 1.3 GHz Celeron M (Banias) and 1 GB RAM with a 1.5 GB swap partition. It runs Precise 5.4.93, and I recently tested both Slacko 6.3.0 and LxPupTahr 15.05.2-no pae which both also run okay on this machine.

My machine is too slow to watch YouTube videos online, but I can watch them with Mplayer if I download them first and they aren't too big (up to about 854x480).

darry1966

#17 Post by darry1966 »

A special Mplayer compiled for Pentium 2's. Simply unzip and make the Static Mplayer executable and run from terminal.
http://www.smokey01.com/saintless/Debia ... led.tar.gz

simion85

Re: What Puppy for IBM Thinkpad r50e?

#18 Post by simion85 »

Sky Aisling wrote:Apologies, simion85
I'm leaving the thread with my tail between my legs with embarrassment.
I'll leave you the good hands of Starhawk and others. :D
Np Sky, and thx for the offer, but the shipping is gonna be way high :)

simion85

#19 Post by simion85 »

starhawk wrote: @simion --

I can offer no laptops, but I do have a small system I can outfit as a desktop. It's an HP t5630w that I'm not really doing anything with. I have a small laptop hard drive I can fit to it with ease... name your Pup of choice and it will be preinstalled before shipping :)

Stock specs & plenty of info --> http://www.parkytowers.me.uk/thin/hp/t5540/index.shtml

Mine has 2gb RAM, and will come with an 80gb Toshiba 1.8" drive (and the necessary adapter) instead of any integrated "Flash" (a 2gb SSD, basically -- trust me, you don't want it). I can virtually guarantee that it's better than any Pentium M or Celeron M system (it's about on par with an early Core Solo).

I'll need at minimum your postal code for a shipping quote.
And thank u you but i have a desktop :P,and i will recieve the laptop today. Will soon have a son or daugher comming to this world, and i wont have time to sit relaxed on my desktop :)

6502coder

#20 Post by 6502coder »

darry1966 wrote:A special Mplayer compiled for Pentium 2's. Simply unzip and make the Static Mplayer executable and run from terminal.
http://www.smokey01.com/saintless/Debia ... led.tar.gz
That doesn't necessarily sound applicable to my Celeron M/Precise machine or the OP's machine, but would it be appropriate for my even more ancient Pentium 2/4.1.2 Retro machine?