T.O.P.L.E.S.S. Version 1.0.1 - now available !!!

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
LazY Puppy

T.O.P.L.E.S.S. Version 1.0.1

#91 Post by LazY Puppy »

T.O.P.L.E.S.S. Version 1.0.1

Download T.O.P.L.E.S.S. Version 1.0.1 from 2016.04.10 at 04:07 GMT+1!

# MD5
e2418930ca58be54ab8b80132864c880
# SHA1
2cec6107f1dc90b180514533b31ef4f1b4c252db
# SHA256
25566fda703641ec92e6eb9c8975c9248a8a64cfea23b73bffcbd938c489dfb7

Note 1: installation on vfat partitions is not supported anymore!
Note 2: Precise and SuLu are not supported anymore!

For the latest changes and additions have a look from here down below.

Additional information added at the end of this post.
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink:

Atle

#92 Post by Atle »

Dear LazY Pup...

Could you explain in some simple way what problem and challenge I have and how TOPPLESS addresses this? I try to understand, but I just can get what this is for.

LazY Puppy

T.O.P.L.E.S.S. is a Multi-Language Puppy Linux Wrapper

#93 Post by LazY Puppy »

T.O.P.L.E.S.S. is a Multi-Language Puppy Linux Wrapper.

The T.O.P.L.E.S.S. Method allows you to run a WoofCE/JWM Puppy Linux (listed in opening post) without to use a save file and it will give to you: the benefits of personalisation plus the benefits of persistent settings plus also the benefits of pristine non-persistence - all together, when ever you'll boot a T.O.P.L.E.S.S. LazY Puppy 5!

A T.O.P.L.E.S.S. LazY Puppy 5 is getting personalised during the boot process by its config files and its extended functions are performed by the pile of available T.O.P.L.E.S.S. System SFS Modules (.sfs).

This means you could have one single frugal install of a Puppy Linux that can be personalised in many different ways - just by the use of the .cfg file/s. That's just an easy method and a pretty cool way to setup a personal Puppy Linux for everyone in your family. No save file and no remaster necessary at all!
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink:

Atle

#94 Post by Atle »

Are there any correlation between Lazypup 5 and Toppless?

Can it be tried in a simple way for non tech persons?

LazY Puppy

#95 Post by LazY Puppy »

Atle wrote:Are there any correlation between Lazypup 5 and Toppless?

Can it be tried in a simple way for non tech persons?
Here is information about requirements and how to install

Run a 32bit Puppy to do this!

Just use a fresh USB flash drive or USB HD drive. Format to ext2 and make it bootable. Install grub4dos and remove the resultant menu.lst. Then make a manual frugal install (copy all the files from ISO) into a sub-directory of the used USB flash or USB hd drive.

Drag and drop the initrd.gz from that install directory onto the (extracted to ext partition) T.O.P.L.E.S.S. RoxApp Directory. First time takes a few minutes on slow USB flash drives - but that's just all.

Drag and drop - no technical experience necessary so far.

Just re-boot from that drive and run LazY Puppy 5 out of the box in 5 different setups.

T.O.P.L.E.S.S. itself is only needed to turn a Puppy Linux into a LazY Puppy 5. It's not needed anymore afterwards to boot the LazY Puppy 5.

History:

LazY Puppy 1 - was my first derivative based on Lucid
LazY Puppy 2 - was next step from LazY Puppy 1 (still available to download)
LazY Puppy 3 - was my private version of LazY Puppy 2 (never ever published)
LazY Puppy 4 - was some Remasters of Precise, Tahr and Unicorn (like L.A.S.S.I.E. and LazY Unicorn (french user oui is using this)).
RSH

Atle

#96 Post by Atle »

First to try and first to give up...

sorry

Try to get help on writing what it is and how you install it.

Just to confusing.

LazY Puppy

#97 Post by LazY Puppy »

You had change content of your post above while I was writing a reply to its original content.

However: here is the reply.

T.O.P.L.E.S.S. has been tested, is working and I'm using T.O.P.L.E.S.S. by these Puppy Linux Systems: Slacko 5.9.3, Slacko 64 5.9.1, Slacko 64 6.3.0, Tahr 6.0.2 CE, Tahr 6.0.5 CE, Tahr 64 6.0.2 CE, Tahr 64 6.0.4 CE, Tahr 64 6.0.5 CE, Unicorn 6.0, Vivid beta2

Mainly created using Tahr 6.0.2. My favorites now in use are the bold and underline ones. T.O.P.L.E.S.S. should work also on newer versions of these Puppy Linux Systems (WoofCE and JWM).

No need to read all seven pages.

Just follow these advices.

Relevant Information currently are only on page one of this topic plus some new information starting from this post up (down) to here.
RSH

LazY Puppy

#98 Post by LazY Puppy »

Maybe someone else could step in to give some help?

I can't see any confusing advice by these steps to do:
Just use a fresh USB flash drive or USB HD drive. Format to ext2 and make it bootable. Install grub4dos and remove the resultant menu.lst. Then make a manual frugal install (copy all the files from ISO) into a sub-directory of the used USB flash or USB hd drive.

Drag and drop the initrd.gz from that install directory onto the (extracted to ext partition) T.O.P.L.E.S.S. RoxApp Directory. First time takes a few minutes on slow USB flash drives - but that's just all.
Sorry...
RSH

Atle

#99 Post by Atle »

Its ok Lazy Pup...

I can wait...

Atle

stemsee

#100 Post by stemsee »

LazY Puppy wrote:Just use a fresh USB flash drive or USB HD drive. Format to ext2 and make it bootable. Install grub4dos and remove the resultant menu.lst. Then make a manual frugal install (copy all the files from ISO) into a sub-directory of the used USB flash or USB hd drive.

So from a running system (not necessarily the one you want to modify). Plug a usb thumb drive or usb hdd into your pc and using gparted format that device as ext2 and set the boot flag. Next choose the puppy distro you want on that drive, this is the one that will be used for topless. If your chosen distro is in iso format then mount it and copy all the files into a dir (eg mkdir /mnt/sdb1/Slacko). Next run grub4dosconfig, and install it only to that usb device. On the usb device grub4dos will copy grldr and menu.lst ... remove (delete or rename) menu.lst.

Now where did you extract the topless package that you downloaded? Well, drag the initrd.gz from (eg /mnt/sdb1/Slacko/) to the extracted topless RoxApp directory and wait some minutes for it to complete setting up the initrd.gz.

I think that is a clearer how to!?

ASD

#101 Post by ASD »

RSH,

Congratulations on this innovative and interesting major work.

I tried tahr64_6.0.5 on a flash stick. It was easy to set up and boot initially, but less intuitive to set up a configuration and reload it.

I very much liked the wallpapers and the look of the dashboard, however the dashboard was very slow loading (perhaps it will be faster on reuse).

Meantime, a few random hints might help me others to further explore some of its many features more easily.

LazY Puppy

#102 Post by LazY Puppy »

ASD wrote:RSH,

Congratulations on this innovative and interesting major work.
Thank you very much.
I very much liked the wallpapers and the look of the dashboard, however the dashboard was very slow loading (perhaps it will be faster on reuse).
Yes, the dash board needs some time to load, as it has lots of stuff to init for its gui. It is a modified combination of Find'N'Run (by SFR & step) and PupMenu (by radky). First load after boot will always be slow - second load shold be much faster (at least it is much faster over here in tahr 6.0.2).
I tried tahr64_6.0.5 on a flash stick. It was easy to set up and boot initially, but less intuitive to set up a configuration and reload it.
Good to know someone's got it setup and running without major problems.

To setup a new configuration is also pretty easy by the pconfig gui (see attached images). Just make the changes and save the configuration file by a new name to the sub-directory ConfigData in your boot diretcory (aka install directory) (e.g. /mnt/sde1/Tahr64605/ConfigData).

No need to enter the full name for the config file like: e.g tahr64_6.0.5-Girls1.cfg. Just enter e.g. Girsl1 (don't use hyphens, underscores are allowed) for its name to saved.

After saving it you'll be asked to create a entry for menu.lst either for ATAHD or USBFLASH. Then switch to the tab of grub4dos menu and copy/paste the created entry from upper text editor into the menu.lst file in lower text editor. Click the button on the right side of this tab's gui to save the modified menu.lst file.

Reboot and choose the new boot menu entry to boot the your new setup configuration.

You could also make a copy of a config file in e.g. /mnt/sde1/Tahr64605/ConfigData and edit its content manually in a text editor.
Meantime, a few random hints might help me others to further explore some of its many features more easily.
There are so many features, I think best would be: tell me what you want to do, and I'm going to explain how to achieve/solve this.
Attachments
Screenshot-2016-04-11-15-56-04.jpg
How to call configuration sfs management from dash board
(119.44 KiB) Downloaded 609 times
Screenshot-2016-04-11-15-49-12.jpg
How to call pconfig gui from dash board.
(87.43 KiB) Downloaded 608 times
RSH

Fauler_Pappi

Dashboard without jwm ?!

#103 Post by Fauler_Pappi »

High :D LazY Puppy,
is that correct ......that I can use ...... say... x-slacko 4.0 with T.o.p.l.e.s.s. ?

Have a good time
Thomas

LazY Puppy

Re: Dashboard without jwm ?!

#104 Post by LazY Puppy »

Fauler_Pappi wrote:High :D LazY Puppy,
is that correct ......that I can use ...... say... x-slacko 4.0 with T.o.p.l.e.s.s. ?

Have a good time
Thomas
The fact where I was talking about to boot a LazY Puppy 5 without having jwm menu and tray was NOT related to a Puppy with a different window manager like xfce. In that mentioned case jwm will still be the window manager but there'll be just no menu and also no tray from jwm.

If such a setup is chosen to boot the dash board will have only a single tab plus a button to shutdown at the bottom of the dash board gui. Also if such a setup is chosen to boot one needs to setup manually the applications available in the dash board. I will explain this later, if there will be any request to have such a setup to use.

However, I have running x-tahr 6.0.2 as a T.O.P.L.E.S.S. LazY Puppy 5 so it may be possible to get x-slacko also to run as T.O.P.L.E.S.S. LazY Puppy 5.

In x-tahr I had to do some changes manually that may be also necessary to do for x-slacko. As there were:

- changed the name of the puppy sfs to puppy_xtahr_6.0.2.sfs

- edited the file /etc/DISTRO_SPECS and changed some of its content:

- DISTRO_FILE_PREFIX='xtahr'
- DISTRO_PUPPYSFS='puppy_xtahr_6.0.2.sfs'
- DISTRO_ZDRVSFS='zdrv_xtahr_6.0.2.sfs'
- DISTRO_ADRVSFS='adrv_xtahr_6.0.2.sfs'
- DISTRO_YDRVSFS='ydrv_xtahr_6.0.2.sfs'

I did it inside the initrd.gz and also inside of the puppy_xtahr_6.0.2.sfs. The reason why I did this is caused by having tahr 6.0.2 also installed on this partition. If you don't have tahr 6.0.2 installed also it probably may work also without to apply the above changes.

Try it and let me know how it does/goes.

After this was done, I just drag'n'drop the initrd.gz onto the T.O.P.L.E.S.S. RoxApp directory. Done.

But as in x-tahr there might be some limitations also in x-slacko. These limitations are caused by not using jwm as the window manager and not using the Rox Desktop Environment.

However, the basic features of T.O.P.L.E.S.S. will work as well as it does in a jwm puppy. So you can still create RunScripts and use SFS Modules like you did in LazY Puppy 2.0.2-005.

Ok, since you are a German, you could also post in the T.O.P.L.E.S.S. DE topic, which will be a little more easy for me to reply.
RSH

LazY Puppy

#105 Post by LazY Puppy »

Ok.

Downloaded X-Slacko 4.0 and tried to make a T.O.P.L.E.S.S. LazY Puppy 5 from it.

First I found was a very strange init script in initrd.gz.

It has a delay when calling xwin and is complaining something about memory acces error (Speicherzugriffsfehler) at ddcprobe when running xorgwizard-automatic.

The dash board doesn't come up to the screen. Creating RunScripts works but the program (GIMP Painter 2.8.7 tested) had to be started twice. It won't run directly by the RunScript after the SFS was successfully loaded.

Something weird has happened after shutting down T.O.P.L.E.S.S. LazY Puppy 5 based on X-Slacko 4.0.

Could NOT boot anymore from that original boot drive. Had to boot from a different drive, doing a e2fsck on that original boot drive, replacing grub4dos and also its menu.lst. After this I could boot again from my original boot drive.

So, conclusion: X-Slacko is NOT recommended for the use as a T.O.P.L.E.S.S. LazY Puppy 5 !!!

Use standard jwm slacko instead.
Attachments
XSlacko40-Screenshot.jpg
(72.11 KiB) Downloaded 542 times
RSH

rg66

#106 Post by rg66 »

The X-slacko init is from woof testing, it would be quite easy to use the original init from slacko-6.3.0. I've been using X-slacko-4 for months and never had any problems like you are describing.
X-slacko-5b1 - X-tahr-2.0 - X-precise-2.4
[url=http://smokey01.com/rg66/]X-series repo[/url]

LazY Puppy

#107 Post by LazY Puppy »

rg66 wrote:The X-slacko init is from woof testing, it would be quite easy to use the original init from slacko-6.3.0. I've been using X-slacko-4 for months and never had any problems like you are describing.
Unfortunately I don't have slacko 6.3.0 available.

However, I'm pretty sure the problems I had are NOT caused by X-Slacko 4.0 but by T.O.P.L.E.S.S. and how it builds the LazY Puppy 5 from e.g. X-Slacko 4.0.

Some of the original files are modified by T.O.P.L.E.S.S. when dragging the initrd.gz onto the T.O.P.L.E.S.S. RoxApp Directory. A few files are modified manually by myself and these files are loaded by SFS to a top layer (counted from main puppy sfs layer) which is similar then like just to overwrite them by installing a .pet package.

I just need to wait until a ubuntu based standard jwm puppy made by WoofCE tesing is available to apply the new changes from WoofCE testing to the T.O.P.L.E.S.S. LazY Puppy 5 Builder. Or is there any available already???
RSH

ASD

#108 Post by ASD »

RSH,

I've spent another couple of enjoyable hours trying this fascinating project on tahr64_6.0.5

I've zeroed out the dashboard so it no longer loads on bootup because I can easily load it from the menu as and when I need it.

Also, I've now tried PupMenu and Find'N'Run on my hard drive installation of tahr64._6.0.5 and they both load almost instantaneously and they're both star keepers.

I haven't yet discovered how to update Palemoon or Flash or use Quickpet and I'll likely have a few more questions much later today.

stemsee

#109 Post by stemsee »

seems to be working on pupjibaro_jessie. Very quick and painless setup ..... now to explore!

LazY Puppy

#110 Post by LazY Puppy »

I've zeroed out the dashboard so it no longer loads on bootup because I can easily load it from the menu as and when I need it.
It should load also by the 'start' keys of the keyboard.

Left start key will switch immediately to the 2nd tab (mod. Find'N'Run).
Right start key will switch immediately to the 3rd tab (mod. PupMenu).
Also, I've now tried PupMenu and Find'N'Run on my hard drive installation of tahr64._6.0.5 and they both load almost instantaneously and they're both star keepers.
The dash board is a first go. Of course it could be improved in the future...
seems to be working on pupjibaro_jessie
Really? :o :shock:
I've spent another couple of enjoyable hours trying this fascinating project on tahr64_6.0.5
:D :D :D
RSH