Winetricks Cache -- Can I delete stuff in it?

Virtual machines, emulation, etc.
s243a

Winetricks Cache -- Can I delete stuff in it?

#1 Post by s243a »

Once I run a script in winetricks can I delete the installation files from the cach or will that mess with the installation?

bigpup

#2 Post by bigpup »

_Please help this forum by posting topics in the correct location.
Questions and problem topics should be posted in the beginners help or Users sections.

This section is for posting programs for others to use.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

s243a

#3 Post by s243a »

bigpup wrote:_Please help this forum by posting topics in the correct location.
Questions and problem topics should be posted in the beginners help or Users sections.

This section is for posting programs for others to use.
Where does it say this in the forum description, or even a sticky for that matter?

mikeslr

Are you posting "Additional Software"?

#4 Post by mikeslr »

Hi s243a,

The purpose of posting is to ask questions, answer them, and provide information to those seeking such information.

The Forum is a maze. It's structure was created long before anyone knew what was actually needed. And that structure can no longer be modified.

When you have a question, there's a chance that someone else either had the same question or will have that question in the future. Those of us who answer questions get tired of having to answer the same question time and again. We hope that in the future those having that question can find the answer which already was posted. Or at least, that we can find our prior answer and direct the inquirer to it rather than have to compose a response from scratch.

There are two ways that an answers can be found: (1) a Search with a search engine such as Wellminded, http://wellminded.net63.net/ and (2) look in a section of the forum where the answer is likely to have been posted. But, with regard to the second method, as I said, the Forum is a maze. The best anyone can do is use the titles of SubForums and specific threads as "Clues" to where specific discussions are most likely to be found.

Every SubForum has both a Title and a SubTitle.

You have posted to a SubForum whose title is "Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Virtualization". After much controversy regarding the need for such a SubForum, it was specifically created as a location where devs can publish the existence of new applications, or users can publish the existence of application which will run under Puppies. Subsequent posts to a specific thread thus created have to do with the application identified by the Title of that thread. The Subtitle of the Additional Software Forum is "Talk about and post software packages known to work or packaged for Puppy".

Where a problem or question involves a Pup or Application which has its own thread and was recently published or still actively discussed --indicating that its creator and users are still actively engaged in development or perfection-- such thread is an obvious place to pose questions and problems. Where those conditions aren't met, there's the Users SubForum.

The subTitle of the Users ( For the regulars ) SubForum is "Using applications, configuring, problems". It is the only place on the Forum where you are likely to attract the attention of anyone who has sufficient experience in technical matters to be able to provide advice.

There are no Forum Police; no sanctions for posting in the wrong place. You can post where you like. Those of us who frequently respond to questions are under no obligation to look for misplaced posts. And we are certainly under no obligation to provide answers.

mikesLr

version2013

Re: Winetricks Cache -- Can I delete stuff in it?

#5 Post by version2013 »

s243a wrote:Once I run a script in winetricks can I delete the installation files from the cach or will that mess with the installation?
In my experience with winetricks cache, deleting the installation files in the cache will not affect your already installed windows applications in the wine prefix (~/.wine).

To minimize space used in my pupsave file, I symlink a few things.

~/.cache/wine
This is used to store wine-gecko* and wine-mono* files that wine looks for when creating wineprefixes.

~/.cache/winetricks
This is used to store the files that winetricks downloads.

I move those directories (and their contents) to somewhere in "/mnt/home/". I then create symlinks back to where they originally were.