pgprs-2.0.4-beta

Configuration wizards, scanners, remote desktop, etc.
rerwin

pgprs-2.0.4-beta

#1 Post by rerwin »

Pgprs-2.0 is a reorganized and polished version of the original pgprs that employs a more standard implementation and an improved user interface. It includes a new interface script, pgprs. A clone of its "connect" logic is used in frisbee's Mobile Wireless (GPRS) function.

Now, the modem and phone number fields are replaced by drop-down lists for selection. Those lists are maintained in a new configuration file, gprs.conf, making it possible for developers and users to add device file names as they appear -- but new names should also be reported here, so they can be added officially.

Included below is an update to the connection wizard and the script that responds to connect/disconnect initiation from the network tray icon. That update is backward compatible, so can be installed even without pgprs-2.0. That "connect_updates" package contains a version for modern puppies (tahrpup, slacko) and a "legacy" version. (The correct version is installed based on the presence of the /usr/lib/gtkdialog directory.) This version of the connect_updates package is the same as that included with the package for frisbee 1.4, in that thread. Note that the connect_updates package must be installed, to allow both pgprs and frisbee to function.

Thank you to 01micko for the pgprs2 interim solution to the absence of pgprs in tahrpup, which was necessary due to the removal of the all-firmware directory on which the old pgprs depends.

Thanks, too, to Lazy Pup for his help with debugging.

Please report any problems here or by PM.

UPDATE 5/17/2017:
Version 2.0.2 is the same as 2.0.1 but with a conditional interface to the comprehensive "network_connect_update" package, provided here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 876#952876

UPDATE 6/5/2020:
Version 2.0.3 is the same as 2.0.2 but with simplification of the modem detection code. It was submitted to woof CE in July, 2018 but was mistakenly not released in this thread. (There is no need for the connect_updates package if this is to replace pgprs 2.01+, or is for XenialPup or later distros.)

UPDATE 7/6/2020:
Uploaded version 2.0.4-beta which changes the connect window to restore the scrolling of the connection log and to allow the window to be closed without disconnecting. This is intended to become version 2.1 once testers have verified whether the connection actually works (because I cannot test that myself).

Richard
Attachments
pgprs-2.0.4-beta.pet
Testing version of proposed v2.1 with revised log display.
Needs testers to verify that connection works.
(10.9 KiB) Downloaded 85 times
pgprs-2.0.3.pet
Release version of pgprs-2.0, with inter-operation with frisbee 1.4
and attempted compatibility with fatdog64 -- as added to woof-CE in July, 2018
(9.83 KiB) Downloaded 110 times
pgprs-2.0.2.pet
and attempted compatibility with fatdog64 -- as added to woof-CE
Requires either the connect_updates or network_connect_update package.
(10.63 KiB) Downloaded 444 times
pgprs-2.0.1.pet
and attempted compatibility with fatdog64 -- as added to woof-CE
Requires the connect_updates package, too.
(10.62 KiB) Downloaded 456 times
connect_updates-20160527.pet
Connect wizard and Connect/AppRun using standard interfaces
to pgprs and frisbee -- as added to woof-CE
Pdiag updates
(12.46 KiB) Downloaded 486 times
Last edited by rerwin on Mon 06 Jul 2020, 21:06, edited 26 times in total.

watchdog

#2 Post by watchdog »

Working here in slacko 6.3.0 32 bit! Firewall setup required. I'm posting by a 3G usb modem dongle connection:

Code: Select all

Attempting connection through /dev/ttyUSB0 to APN internet.wind...

Press CTRL-C to close the connection at any stage!
defining PDP context...

AT
OK
AT
OK
AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","internet.wind"
OK
ATH
OK
ATE1
OK
AT+CSQ
waiting for connect...

+CSQ: 15,99

OK
ATD*99***1#
CONNECT
Connected.
If the following ppp negotiations fail,

try restarting the phone.

Script chat -v -f /etc/ppp/chatscripts/gprs-connect-chat finished (pid 24221), status = 0x0
Serial connection established.
using channel 1
Using interface ppp0
Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyUSB0
Warning - secret file /etc/ppp/pap-secrets has world and/or group access
sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1 <asyncmap 0x0> <magic 0xfaab41c6> <pcomp> <accomp>]
rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0x0 <asyncmap 0x0> <auth chap MD5> <magic 0xf43d5a> <pcomp> <accomp>]
No auth is possible
sent [LCP ConfRej id=0x0 <auth chap MD5>]
rcvd [LCP ConfAck id=0x1 <asyncmap 0x0> <magic 0xfaab41c6> <pcomp> <accomp>]
rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0x1 <asyncmap 0x0> <magic 0xf43d5a> <pcomp> <accomp>]
sent [LCP ConfAck id=0x1 <asyncmap 0x0> <magic 0xf43d5a> <pcomp> <accomp>]
sent [LCP EchoReq id=0x0 magic=0xfaab41c6]
kernel does not support PPP filtering
sent [IPCP ConfReq id=0x1 <addr 0.0.0.0> <ms-dns1 0.0.0.0> <ms-dns2 0.0.0.0>]
rcvd [LCP DiscReq id=0x2 magic=0xf43d5a]
rcvd [LCP EchoRep id=0x0 magic=0xf43d5a fa ab 41 c6]
rcvd [IPCP ConfNak id=0x1 <ms-dns1 0.0.0.0> <ms-dns2 0.0.0.0>]
sent [IPCP ConfReq id=0x2 <addr 0.0.0.0> <ms-dns1 0.0.0.0> <ms-dns2 0.0.0.0>]
rcvd [IPCP ConfReq id=0x0]
sent [IPCP ConfNak id=0x0 <addr 10.0.0.1>]
rcvd [IPCP ConfNak id=0x2 <addr 10.43.65.20> <ms-dns1 193.70.152.25> <ms-dns2 212.52.97.25>]
sent [IPCP ConfReq id=0x3 <addr 10.43.65.20> <ms-dns1 193.70.152.25> <ms-dns2 212.52.97.25>]
rcvd [IPCP ConfReq id=0x1]
sent [IPCP ConfAck id=0x1]
rcvd [IPCP ConfAck id=0x3 <addr 10.43.65.20> <ms-dns1 193.70.152.25> <ms-dns2 212.52.97.25>]
local  IP address 10.43.65.20
remote IP address 10.0.0.1
primary   DNS address 193.70.152.25
secondary DNS address 212.52.97.25
/etc/pgprs.conf:

Code: Select all

GPRSDEV=/dev/ttyUSB0
GPRSNBR=*99***1#
GPRSAPN=internet.wind
GPRSPIN=
GPRSUSER=
GPRSPAPONLY=false
GPRSNBRS='*99# #777 *99***1# *99***2# *99***3# *99***4#'
GPRSOTHERDEVS='/dev/ircomm* /dev/ttyUB* /dev/ttyS0 /dev/ttyS1'
Problems with connect-updates: after closing the 3G connection I was not able to setup the eth0 connection again by the internet connection wizard. I removed connect-updates, restarted X and now I'm with eth0 again.

rerwin

#3 Post by rerwin »

watchdog,
Thank you very much, for trying the packages, showing us what success looks like, and reporting the problem.
watchdog wrote:Problems with connect-updates: after closing the 3G connection I was not able to setup the eth0 connection again by the internet connection wizard. I removed connect-updates, restarted X and now I'm with eth0 again.
To work the problem, I need more details. First, are there any connectwizard/pgprs error messages at the end of file /etc/xerrs.log? Assuming there are none, please tell me what you did and saw after clicking the "Disconnect" button in the connection window.

Note that this version of pgprs disables the other networks, to prevent the network controller (dhcpcd) from interrupting the connection. 01micko has recommended that to me.

Thanks for your help.
Richard

watchdog

#4 Post by watchdog »

rerwin wrote: end of file /etc/xerrs.log? Assuming there are none, please tell me what you did and saw after clicking the "Disconnect" button in the connection window.
After disconnecting the mobile modem clicking on Connect on the desktop does not open the default connection manager which is Network Wizard for me. Network Wizard does not work from Menu-Setup-Internet Connection Wizard, too.
Note that this version of pgprs disables the other networks, to prevent the network controller (dhcpcd) from interrupting the connection. 01micko has recommended that to me.
Yes, a running dhcpd updates resolv.conf which is not good but when you close pgprs2 you might be able to setup eth0 again.

rerwin

#5 Post by rerwin »

A-hah! And oops.

The clue is an error message in xerrs.log. It is a bug I fixed in my test setup but did not fully implement in the development copy. (The problem is that the command, cut -f 2 -d \", confuses the parser inside `...` but is OK in $(...) -- both should execute the command.)

The corrected package is now uploaded above. Thank you to all three who downloaded the original -- please replace your copy with the new connect_updates package.
R

watchdog

#6 Post by watchdog »

In someway it works but there is a bug. I disconnected eth0 right-clicking the network-tray down-right and connected by pgprs2 and the mobile modem after installing the new connect_updates. The connection was successfull and I was fully online but the window said "connection unsuccessfull". I attach screenshot. There was not a disconnect button. I clicked OK and the log-window closed and then I launched pgprs2 again from Menu-Network: it detected a connection alive and offered to disconnect. I disconnected and was able to setup eth0 again.
Attachments
screenshot.png
(134.2 KiB) Downloaded 846 times

rerwin

#7 Post by rerwin »

watchdog wrote:The connection was successful and I was fully online but the window said "connection unsuccessful". I attach screenshot. There was not a disconnect button.
Thanks for that report. This is the area where I am dependent on your help. The test for success checks for a file named /var/run/ppp-gprs.pid. When you are connected through pgprs, please check for that file or something similar ( /var/run/ppp*). If the file is present, that suggests that pgprs is not waiting long enough for the ppp daemon to get started and create the file. If there is only another, similar, file, please tell me its name.

Maybe I need to change the 'sleep 1' (in /usr/local/pgprs/pgprs-connect) to a loop to keep checking for, say, 10 seconds.
R

watchdog

#8 Post by watchdog »

I can't replicate the first behaviour: I have reinstalled connect_updates and it's now properly working (three attempts to replicate the error...). In /var/run there are ppp-gprs.pid and ppp0.pid. Maybe a "sleep 5" before checking success of the connection could solve a possible bad start of the script which is indeed very fast. It's solved for me. Many thanks.

rerwin

#9 Post by rerwin »

That is good news. I suspect that connecting the first time since boot requires extra time for the ppp components to load from disk or elsewhere in RAM, causing a small delay in the appearance of the file used as the indicator of a connection.

To address that, I have added a 5-second loop that tests every second until the file appears, or stops trying. Uploaded as "20160127"
R

EDIT: I have now restored the connect_updates package inadvertently replaced by the updated pgprs.

rerwin

#10 Post by rerwin »

I admit that the 20160127 version of pgprs is defective, in that it may not start after the initial use of it. I have replaced it, above, with a corrected version, 20160214-beta. It also should work without interfering with the upcoming frisbee 1.4 (currently 1.3.5 beta), and vice versa.

I also updated the connect_updates package to support the new frisbee and to include an updated script (get_modem_alternate_device) from frisbee that is actually independent of frisbee, because it is also used by pupdial.
R

watchdog

#11 Post by watchdog »

Hi, rerwin.
I'm posting from the updated pgprs2 and my internet usb dongle in slacko 6.3.0 but I have had to manually write nameservers in /etc/resolv.conf which is not updated after successfull connection. I also tried the default frisbee in slacko 6.3.0 but it does not detect the dev device.

LazY Puppy

#12 Post by LazY Puppy »

Hi.

I had tried the new packages a few moments ago.

Still do NOT get this to work with my GPRS USB Modem (tested in tahr 602 and 605).

After installing the packages nothing happens when choosing GPRS Wireless Modem to use to connect to the web. No GUI appears to setup the APN and stuff.

Frisbee does NOT detect the USB Modem (by the earlier PGPRS packges it does) - DialUp (2g/3g) does detect the USB Modem, but is unable to do a connection.

When I'm entering pgprs --connect into a terminal it hangs afterwards - no further terminal output is appearing.

When I'm installing my personal PGPRS package afterwards it even won't also connect to the web if your packages has been installed first (need to do a reboot to get internet connection using my personal PGPRS package).

Usually in all my newer Puppies (above Precise) I just install my personal PGPRS package and am able to connect to the web immediately.

I'm still NOT convinced for the replacement of the original PGPRS package as I can't use it (and am assuming there are lots of users that even can't use it too)!

I fear for the future Puppies they even won't let me connect to the web using my personal PGPRS package - which will make me then STOP using Puppy Linux!

One (person like ME) can't use a Puppy Linux without to have internet access to download some software from the PPM repositories.

It's a SHAME for all the Puppy Builders (Woof CE) to replace a nice working and easy to use feature by a new but still NOT working feature!!!

Woof CE seems to have some really nice improvements etc.pp. in some parts, but this CRAP!

REALLY CRAP!

EDIT:

Now tested this also with tahr64 605 (fdrv sfs loaded): no differences!
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink:

rerwin

#13 Post by rerwin »

watchdog,
Since "pgprs2" is 01micko;s upgrade of the original pgprs, I think you should contact him about this. I understand that "pppd" handles the resolv.conf business. Maybe slacko interferes with that.

But if you still have that problem with my version that I intend to be "pgprs-2.0" once we get past beta testing, please report that here.
R

rerwin

#14 Post by rerwin »

LazY Puppy,
Thanks for continuing your attempts to get my pgprs to work for you. While we were working the problem via PMs, you mentioned that you install the pet package by extracting its files. If you do not run the pinstall.sh script in the package, the file, /etc/gprs.conf, will not get removed. That could be why pgprs refuses to start. I'll explain.

The 20160214 package changes the content of gprs.conf, adding an essential parameter. If that parameter is missing, pgprs will exit without explanation. The pinstall.sh script removes the old gprs.conf to ensure that one with the correct content is created. So, please delete /etc/gprs,conf before running pgprs the first time after installing. Note that the script also removes components of the old pgprs, so that only the new one is present. But leaving the old pgprs in place should not cause problems other than showing confusing menu options.
R

LazY Puppy

#15 Post by LazY Puppy »

rerwin wrote:LazY Puppy,
Thanks for continuing your attempts to get my pgprs to work for you. While we were working the problem via PMs, you mentioned that you install the pet package by extracting its files. If you do not run the pinstall.sh script in the package, the file, /etc/gprs.conf, will not get removed. That could be why pgprs refuses to start. I'll explain.

The 20160214 package changes the content of gprs.conf, adding an essential parameter. If that parameter is missing, pgprs will exit without explanation. The pinstall.sh script removes the old gprs.conf to ensure that one with the correct content is created. So, please delete /etc/gprs,conf before running pgprs the first time after installing. Note that the script also removes components of the old pgprs, so that only the new one is present. But leaving the old pgprs in place should not cause problems other than showing confusing menu options.
R
I installed just by clicking the .pet files - nothing else!

As I wrote: when typing pgprs --connect into a terminal it hangs afterwards. The terminal is locked then by pgprs. Since there was no option to setup my APN and stuff, I assume that's why it hangs/the terminal is locked then.

So how should/could PGPRS do a successful connection if it doesn't know anything about my APN and stuff?????????????????????

Where is the part to enter this in the new pgprs?????????????????????

It doesn't make any sense to have a pgprs connect entry in menu without having option to setup APN and stuff first. Usually in internet connection wizard a GUI appears to do that after clicking the wireless gprs modem button. And in previously built in pgprs package there was also a menu entry to setup APN and stuff.

In your pgprs package this GUI doesn't appear on the screen - as no gui at all will give option to setup APN and stuff.

If I close the terminal window and try to type again pgprs --connect into a new opened terminal it tells me that pgprs (or probably just gprs) is already running. It recommended the use of the runnung pgprs/gprs then.

By the way: I forgot to mention that frisbee is recognizing the USB Modem after a refresh in tahr64 605 with the fdrv sfs loaded, though -as in all my previous testings- exit code 8. No connection possible.

And just as a side note: my criticism is about the Woof CE idea in that special case - not about any of your codes or efforts.
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink:

watchdog

#16 Post by watchdog »

rerwin wrote:watchdog,
But if you still have that problem with my version that I intend to be "pgprs-2.0" once we get past beta testing, please report that here.
R
Yes, I intended that the problem about resolv.conf is with your version which I'm testing. The last one in first post in this thread. I wrote pgprs2 instead of pgprs-1.5.2-20160214-beta.

rerwin

#17 Post by rerwin »

LazY Puppy wrote:I installed just by clicking the .pet files - nothing else!
Thanks for installing in the way I intended. The key here is the fact of the hang. The tool used to test for modem devices can hang in some cases that I have not encountered, myself. I have added an improved version of the workaround for that, in the 20160221 version in the first message of this thread.

The fix also corrects other logic, so that more device names will be tested. The workaround will wait for 5 seconds if the tester hangs, then stop the hanging and continue testing for other devices. Normally, each device test will be nearly instantaneous.

In addition, I added to the "connect" package updated pdiag components to better capture pgprs files for analysis. The rest of the package is the same as the previous version (20160206).

Thank you again, Lazy Puppy, for "holding my feet to the fire" to get me to clean up the device determination logic. The new pgprs package will add some trace information to the /tmp/xerrs.log file, showing the process of device testing. Please send me that file, so I can verify how the fix works.

Now I can think about watchdog's resolv.conf problem.
LazY Puppy wrote:By the way: I forgot to mention that frisbee is recognizing the USB Modem after a refresh in tahr64 605 with the fdrv sfs loaded, though -as in all my previous testings- exit code 8. No connection possible.
Frisbee's gprs option has a bug that makes that option unusable. I discovered that while investigating your initial report of a problem with it. That will fixed in the beta for frisbee 1.4 (initially, 1.3.5-beta).
R

LazY Puppy

#18 Post by LazY Puppy »

rerwin wrote:The tool used to test for modem devices can hang in some cases that I have not encountered, myself.
I think -no, I'm convinced- you did not really understand what's the problem over here.

It is NOT the tool used to test for modem devices that hangs. Since there is no GUI appearing from wherein I can select or enter my device from a shown list of detected devices, so there is no tool running to test for modem devices found.

The problem is: after installing your packages I click the connect icon on desktop. In that GUI I switch to the second tab and choose gprs for to run next time. Then I switch back to tab one and am clicking the icon for gprs wireless modems.

That's the point where a GUI pops up to enter my APN and to select/enter the modem device. This GUI appears when I'm installing my personal pgprs package.

But it doesn't appear when I'd installed the your packages. So, no APN known for the connect script's code, so no connection possible.

Now I'm going to tell you what I'd done so far with the latest of the your pgprs package.

Since I can read bash code I decided to extract the packages to have a look into the new pgprs connect script to search for a reason why I can't setup/enter my APN and modem device.

To my own surprise I found the pgprs setup script still existing - though there is no such a menu entry for pgprs setup. I had a look again into the .desktop file and found again pgprs --connect for its Exec= entry.

So I felt in love with the idea just to type pgprs --setup into a terminal to find out, what will happen afterwards.

To my own surprise again, the GUI to setup/enter APN and modem device appears on the screen. My modem device is detected and preselected. I'd chosen *99***1# as for the phone number (it's just the default in older versions and had worked for me all the time) and exited the GUI by Ok.

Opened up a second terminal and typed pgprs --connect into that. At first try it didn't connect, but this happens sequentally also in older versions when I'm too quickly trying to connect after setting up APN and modem device.

On a second try it connects to the web and I'm currently posting from that connected connection. :lol:

Using tahr 6.0.2 in original. Just changed the keyboard layout to DE.

So, I need / it needs to have the pgprs setup script (the GUI) appearing on the screen after clicking the gprs wireless icon in internet connection wizard. And this -so far- has never ever happened in any of the your new rewrite scripts of pgprs. Got me now?

At last just one simple question: is frisbee really able to do anything else then returning exit code 8, not connected? I will put frisbee on top of my personal list of exit code 8 applications. :lol: :lol: :lol:
RSH

rerwin

#19 Post by rerwin »

LazY Puppy wrote:It is NOT the tool used to test for modem devices that hangs. Since there is no GUI appearing from wherein I can select or enter my device from a shown list of detected devices, so there is no tool running to test for modem devices found.
Actually, the modem testing is done in preparation for display of the GUI, to populate the device list that you select from. That is where the hang can occur, which would cause the GUI to not display.
The problem is: after installing your packages I click the connect icon on desktop. In that GUI I switch to the second tab and choose gprs for to run next time. Then I switch back to tab one and am clicking the icon for gprs wireless modems.
That's the point where a GUI pops up to enter my APN and to select/enter the modem device. This GUI appears when I'm installing my personal pgprs package.

But it doesn't appear when I'd installed the your packages.
Thanks for describing your steps. I replicated that sequence on my test PC and saw the setup window (GUI), entered an APN, clicked OK, then clicked the 'connect' icon and, after a few seconds, saw the "connection failed" window, which is as far as I can get (with no real mobile/wireless ISP). (I use a USB analog modem to simulate a wireless modem, for the purpose of detection.)
Now I'm going to tell you what I'd done so far with the latest of the your pgprs package.
By running the setup and connect scripts separately, you confirmed that the main parts do work. That implies that the interfacing script. 'pgprs' is where something is not right. Please turn on tracing in the file, /usr/sbin/pgprs, by removing the "#" at the beginning of line 4 (#set -x ...). Then start pgprs as you described. Use a fresh environment or delete /etc/gprs.conf before trying pgprs. Then please send me the /tmp/xerrs.log file, to give me the evidence I need to solve the problem -- and to save you from having to troubleshoot further.
At last just one simple question: is frisbee really able to do anything else then returning exit code 8, not connected? I will put frisbee on top of my personal list of exit code 8 applications. :lol: :lol: :lol:
That is all that frisbee's gprs function will do until I upload an updated version (1.3.5-beta). Its gprs logic is similar to that of the new pgprs. So, I need to fix it with whatever we learn about the pgprs problem(s).
R

rerwin

New beta - 20160410

#20 Post by rerwin »

I have uploaded another beta of pgprs 1.5.2 for testing. I attempted to clean up the behavioral problems Lazy_Puppy encountered, and others. Now, when you exit/disconnect from a connection window, the "Configure" (setup) window will appear. To avoid that, you can disconnect with the "X" window-close button. However,the "close but stay connected" button does not start the setup window.

Please give me feedback on how the connection process goes, because I cannot test that myself.
Richard