How to get Belkin f5d7011 54g wifi card working?

Booting, installing, newbie
mark2

How to get Belkin f5d7011 54g wifi card working?

#1 Post by mark2 »

Total n00b here, :)

Fujitsu laptop,belkin f5d7011 54g notebook card

I'm running Puppy 2.02 from live cd and trying to get my wireless card functioning, running wifi-1.0.4-beta-2.pup the drivers are installed, checking with ndiswrapper -l, I get the "hardware present" message beside the drivers bcmwl5 and bcmwl5a, (bcmwl5 corresponds to the relevant driver installed in windows).

Running WAG I get the "wag isn't configured probing etc "? message, click OK and nothing further appears to be happening.

I did find the following error message ( but cannot remember exactly where)

Code: Select all

/PCI: Enabling device 0000:03:00.0 (0000 -> 0002)
ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:03:00.0[A] -> Link [LNKB] -> GSI 3 (level, low) -> IRQ 3
PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:03:00.0 to 64
ndiswrapper (NdisWriteErrorLogEntry:246): log: C000138D, count: 1, return_address: f8a3cbe3
ndiswrapper (NdisWriteErrorLogEntry:249): code: 259
ndiswrapper (miniport_init:279): couldn't initialize device: C0000001
ndiswrapper (pnp_start_device:461): Windows driver couldn't initialize the device (C0000001)
ndiswrapper: probe of 0000:03:00.0 failed with error -22
Can anyone suggest what my next steps are to try to resolve this problem?

sejjiin

#2 Post by sejjiin »

EDIT: From glancing at your error message, it looks like the drivers aren't initializing correctly. Have you looked to see if there are linux drivers available for your chipset so you can bypass using ndiswrapper? That particular card uses the Broadcom chipset and needs the bcm43xx driver. This thread might be helpful.

I just started using Puppy recently and just figured out how to get my Belkin wireless working (different model) so I may not be the best person to help out, but I'll give it a try-

WAG seems to be broken in 2.02. One way to fix would probably be to just use 2.01 if you don't need NTFS.

Also, I discovered if you're willing to mess with the command line a little, you don't really need WAG. Assuming your ndiswrapper and drivers are configured correctly (sorry, I have no experience there) it may be as simple as the following commands:

ifconfig wlan0 up

iwconfig wlan0 essid (your wireless network's essid) Note: I had to put mine in quotes, so keep that in mind

iwconfig wlan0 key restricted (your wireless network's hex encryption key if you have one)

iwconfig wlan0 mode managed

And then these two lines if your router auto-assigns the IPs:
rm /etc/dhcpc/*.pid (this line probably isn't necessary, so don't worry if it gives an error message)
dhcpcd -t 30 -h puppypc -d wlan0

mark2

#3 Post by mark2 »

Hmm, My system's partitions are all NTFS, I've noticed there is a remastered 2.02 regression iso now available, that should work with the bcm43xx drivers, I'll try that route next and see how I get on :?:

mark2

#4 Post by mark2 »

Changed to the regression iso, couldn't see my usb drives, so plan b

back to 2.02 and an older notebook card, again a belkin driver this loaded successfully . :)

Installed drivers:
2802w           driver installed 
airplus         driver installed 
bcmwl5          driver installed 
bcmwl5a         driver installed 
gplus           driver installed 
mrv8k51         driver installed 
mrv8ka51                driver installed 
net8180         driver installed 
neta3ab         driver installed 
netadm11                driver installed 
netdlwl         driver installed 
ntpr11ab                driver installed 
oem9            driver installed, hardware present 
rt2500          driver installed 
w22n51          driver installed 
w70n51          driver installed

but iwconfig gives me the following

lo        no wireless extensions.

eth0      no wireless extensions.

wlan0     IEEE 802.11b  ESSID:off/any  
          Mode:Auto  Frequency:2.462 GHz  Access Point: Not-Associated   
          Bit Rate:11 Mb/s   Tx-Power:20 dBm   Sensitivity=0/3  
          RTS thr:2432 B   Fragment thr:2432 B   
          Encryption key:off
          Power Management:off
          Link Quality:0  Signal level:0  Noise level:0
          Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
          Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:0   Missed beacon:0
I've edit the wireless.conf file to show my ssid/network name, entered my network key etc

But so far no luck.

Don't know if this makes a difference, I have a combination of wireless and wired network, wireless is via an access point connected to a hardwired router. It would obviously be simpler to use the wired network but I don't want to give up on this.

followed your instructions as listed above, I'm assuming the essid is the same as my ssid, if not perhaps you can correct me, getting there slowly I think, 2 steps forward one back :lol:

now have this

sh-3.1# ifconfig wlan0 up
sh-3.1# iwconfig wlan0 "mark2"
sh-3.1# iwconfig wlan0 essid "mark2"
sh-3.1# iwconfig wlan0 key restricted edited
sh-3.1# iwconfig wlan0 mode managed
sh-3.1# iwconfig wlan0 rm /etc/dhcpc/*.pid
Error : unrecognised wireless request "rm"
sh-3.1# dhcpcd -t 30 -h puppypc -d wlan0
dhcpcd: MAC address = edited
sh-3.1# iwconfig
lo        no wireless extensions.

eth0      no wireless extensions.
wlan0     IEEE 802.11b  ESSID:off/any  
          Mode:Auto  Frequency:2.462 GHz  Access Point: Not-Associated   
          Bit Rate:11 Mb/s   Tx-Power:20 dBm   Sensitivity=0/3  
          RTS thr:2432 B   Fragment thr:2432 B   
          Encryption key:C24E-F317-9F   Security mode:restricted
          Power Management:off
          Link Quality:0  Signal level:0  Noise level:0
          Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
          Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:0   Missed beacon:0 
Thanks for your help so far, it is appreciated.

sejjiin

#5 Post by sejjiin »

hmmm...there are a few errors in your entries but nothing I think that should cause it to not work:

The line "iwconfig wlan0 "mark2"" is unecessary I think, not quite sure what that does.

The line "iwconfig wlan0 rm /etc/dhcpc/*.pid" should just be rm /etc/dhcpc/*.pid

See if any of that makes a difference.

Also, after typing "ifconfig wlan0 up," a tray icon should pop up named blinky I believe. If it doesn't, it could be a sign that your drivers aren't initialized correctly rather than being a problem with your network settings.

Lastly, after issuing the dhcpcd command, it should echo your ip back as well as your MAC. That may because of the error in the rm line. Also, is your router set up for auto-assigning IPs or does it do static?

mark2

#6 Post by mark2 »

no blinky in the system tray, so it appears none of the drivers are being initialised correctly, so now going to study the thread on the bcm43xx driver and see how it goes from there, :shock:

mark2

#7 Post by mark2 »

A result of sorts :)
Now posting from puppy, wirelessly from my laptop, however using my older belkin f5d6020 v3 card and the rtl8180 linux drivers.

However I will keep searching for information and how to's on my other card.

sejjiin

#8 Post by sejjiin »

Yes, that's the card that I've got going on my laptop. Hopefully someone with more knowledge of the broadcom driver will jump in here. One more thing - once you downloaded the drivers, did you modprobe them into your kernel using the modprobe or insmod command? There should be a text file that goes with it that explains which files you need to insert. And, if so, did it return an error message?

mark2

#9 Post by mark2 »

One more thing - once you downloaded the drivers, did you modprobe them into your kernel using the modprobe or insmod command?
I simply used the module_load file found in the rtl8180.tar.gz for puppy 202 which I downloaded via http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.p ... ht=rtl8180

This loaded the module, blinky was there so I simply configured my connection and voila here I was.

:)

sejjiin

#10 Post by sejjiin »

Sry, I meant for the broadcom. I didn't know if a script was provided with that one like the rtl8180 or you had to do that loading manually.

mark2

#11 Post by mark2 »

The broadcom drivers I've been able to find so far haven't worked with 202, Ive searched and found the broadcom FW-cutter files but it appears too complex for me at the moment, it appears I'll need to build my own drivers. I think I need to do a lot of reading before I get into that.

tempestuous

#12 Post by tempestuous »

mark2
If you want to try compiling your own driver, that's great ... but the bcm43xx driver is a bad one to start with - it's very difficult to compile. It involves a large kernel patch, and builds non-standard core wifi modules, too.

I suggest you get Puppy-2.02-regression working so you can use my bcm43xx-softmac driver.

I'm accessing a USB drive in 2.02-regression as we speak, so the USB drivers definitely work.
The problem might be that 2.02-regression is accessing the pupsave file created earlier on your hard drive by the standard 2.02.
You must erase the old pupsave file and let 2.02-regression create a new one.
If this still doesn't solve the problem, try to manually load the USB modules before launching MUT -

modprobe ehci-hcd
modprobe ohci-hcd
modprobe uhci-hcd

mark2

#13 Post by mark2 »

tempestuous wrote:mark2
If you want to try compiling your own driver, that's great ... but the bcm43xx driver is a bad one to start with - it's very difficult to compile......snip...
I suggest you get Puppy-2.02-regression working so you can use my bcm43xx-softmac driver.
Sod's law, having seen so few drivers for it I knew it was bound to be a long haul and very difficult :o Now that I have the older card working there's not such a rush but I think I'd still like to try at least. I have been glancing round the forum for how to compile drivers but not too seriously as yet. Still getting used to how puppy works currently

I had difficulties with the puppy 2.02regression in as much it didn't even see my usb flash drives :? nor any of my other partitions, the notes I'd made were on one or the other of the above.
You must erase the old pupsave file and let 2.02-regression create a new one.
If this still doesn't solve the problem,
I've been considering that option, a quick ? tho, how to delete it ?

Now that I have the older card working

tempestuous

#14 Post by tempestuous »

If running from CD, add the "pfix=ram" boot parameter.
Or if running from hard drive, add "pfix=ram" to your lilo or grub boot configuration file.

Once booted, you can now mount the partition containing pup_save.3fs and delete it. If you see pup_202.sfs, delete that too.
Now you can boot into 2.02-regression.

mark2

#15 Post by mark2 »

Thank you will try that.

laptopnewbee

#16 Post by laptopnewbee »

if you have the software provided by the card maker you might try what i did for my card. the link below is to where i posted how i did it but i'm not experenced at writing "how tos" so you may have trouble making sense of it. (i hope not)

http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?p=65356#65356