Installing Puppy to HD without floppy drive (Solved)

Booting, installing, newbie
derangedtaco

Installing Puppy to HD without floppy drive (Solved)

#1 Post by derangedtaco »

I want to install Puppy to my HD, but in the install script, it says that you need a floppy drive to continue. I don't have one (this is a new laptop, and because floppies are generally unused, it didn't come with support for them). So, can I somehow install Puppy without a floppy drive? Maybe manually in the command line?

Thanks for the help.

danleff

#2 Post by danleff »

What method of booting Puppy off the hard drive are you going to use?

Is Windows XP on this system, and if so, do you have NTFS as the filesyetm on the partition, and is it the only partition on the hard drive?

The script does not offer the option to skip making a floppy, as if you are using option 1, then the assumption is that you have a fat32 partition to install to and will need a floppy to boot.

The option 2 installation gives you the option to skip making a floppy, as you are installing to a free partition that Puppy can recognize. It then offers you the choice of installing grub or not, as most users using this method are aware that they need grub installed on the hard drive somewhere to boot Puppy. .
I love it when a plan comes together

--Hannibal Smith

derangedtaco

#3 Post by derangedtaco »

Option 2. Sorry for not saying that. Yes, I've got XP. Yes, it is NTFS. No, it is not the only partition. I have 2 HD's - 1 external (1 partition for storage, no OS) and 1 internal (lots of partitions, I don't need to say 'em all).

I have an ext3 partition where im trying to install. it does not let me skip the floppy. argh me confused

danleff

#4 Post by danleff »

Then I am going to guess that you have either an older version or Puppy, or a special version by one of the fine folks working on these.

If you use Puppy version 1.0.3, then the options are there. Look at the directions as the install progresses and you will see the option to skip making a floppy.

If you have grub already installed, you can add the boot options to your default grub (skip the option to install grub), or install a new grub, if you desire.
I love it when a plan comes together

--Hannibal Smith

#5 Post by Guest »

danleff wrote:Then I am going to guess that you have either an older version or Puppy, or a special version by one of the fine folks working on these.

If you use Puppy version 1.0.3, then the options are there. Look at the directions as the install progresses and you will see the option to skip making a floppy.

If you have grub already installed, you can add the boot options to your default grub (skip the option to install grub), or install a new grub, if you desire.
i got puppy from Linux Format magazine (this is 1.0.1). i am downloading the new ISO

derangedtaco

#6 Post by derangedtaco »

that was me, sorry i forgot to log in

btw i got it working fine with the new version..... thanks

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#7 Post by Flash »

Would you mind telling us what you did that worked? For instance, did you use the option 2 install? If so, were you able to install Puppy to your existing ext3 partition? Thanks.

derangedtaco

#8 Post by derangedtaco »

Flash wrote:Would you mind telling us what you did that worked? For instance, did you use the option 2 install? If so, were you able to install Puppy to your existing ext3 partition? Thanks.
i converted it to ext2