Locking up when accessing LinNeighborhood mounts

Please post any bugs you have found
flopsymopsy

Locking up when accessing LinNeighborhood mounts

#1 Post by flopsymopsy »

Hi all

No info found on this in forums so any pointers welcome...

Problem was discovered when moving a large number of files from one server (raid 5 Snap Server) to a homebrew (FreeNAS) box.

There are around 10k files on the source and I can mount the source share and destination share ok using LinNeighborhood utility but Puppy202 locks up requiring power to be cycled when I try to do anything like scroll the window in Rox.

I tried Puppy202, PuppyLite202 (both installed to hd as a frugal install) and a CD based Puppy201. Tried upgrading Rox to latest version with no difference in symptoms. Currently using 1.2.2 in PuppyLite202.

The horrible part is the kids XP based machines are ok!

Are there any logs I can look at in Puppy?

I'm at a complete loss as th where to start looking.

Rather than sit at the XP machine though, at least Puppy lets me RDP to the XP machine and transfer via that but this the only thing I've found that hurts when using Puppy.

Thanks in advance for any help.

fluxit

#2 Post by fluxit »

I haven't seen this before with Puppy, but it sounds like a hardware problem. Do you have a different NIC you can substitute on the offending machine, preferably based on a different chipset?
How much ram does the hanging computer have installed?
Are all 10k files in one directory?
One last question from me. Are you sure it isn't just Rox or your xserver that has locked-up? Have you tried switching consoles (Ctrl-Alt-F2,) or killing the xserver(Ctrl-Alt-Backspace?)

flopsymopsy

#3 Post by flopsymopsy »

Thanks for the reply Fluxit.

Did some more playing and this is what I found.

The FreeNAS server was a red herring. It happens when I mount a share just to the snap server only and while Rox is reading the file list.

Different machines and nic types running Puppy have been tried with 192 and 256mb ram.

The 10k files are in different dirs (/artist/album/ etc).

Ctrl-Alt-Backspace just don't do it, has to be the big red button.

I can mount/read the same filelist on tthe FreeNAS machine in XP or either of the same two machines running Puppy so it must be a problem with the snap server.

I notice in the snap server admin pages that master browser, opportunistic locking and NT smb's are enabled. Dunno about the last two but the FreeNAS box is setup to be the master browser too........maybe 1 = good, 2=bad?

I will turn off snap server master browser and see what happens......

ezeze5000

FreeNAS

#4 Post by ezeze5000 »

I'm running a FreeNAS server ( I just use it to access files faster than I could by searching through 500 CDs.

I have found that puppy's processor does cycle up pretty good when I'm transfering large files.

It actually looks like rox is locking up but it is not. I can tell by looking at my router and a switch I am running through. The activity lights are going 90 to nothin.

When the 600mb or so file gets done rox goes back to normal.

I have puppy 2.00 running on a 2ghz athlon 1.5 gb ram home built PC.

My Nas server is on a HP P4 2ghz 512 mb PC (80gb drive and a 250gb drive.
If at first you don't succeed try try again!