How to make a quick 3G connection

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
nic007

How to make a quick 3G connection

#1 Post by nic007 »

If you use a 3g cellphone modem or 3g dongle to connect to the internet, make sure to check the "stupid mode" option in pupdial when setting up the connection. This will ensure an immediate connection without having to wait for about 20 seconds.

Once the connection is set up in pupdial you don't have to run pupdial everytime you want to connect, instead you can run the wvdialshell script (found in /usr/bin in my Puppy) directly. An easy way to do this is to edit the "defaultconnect" script (found in /usr/local/bin in my Puppy) by making wvdialshell the script to run. Please note that you will have to edit the wvdial configuration file (wvdial.conf found in /etc) if you want to run wvdialshell directly. Do this by opening wvdial.conf with a text editor and copying the connection details under the [Dialer isp1] to the [Dialer Defaults] section.

You can make wvdialshell's rxvt popup window look nicer by editing that particular line in the wvdialshell script. I changed it to read as follows: rxvt -geometry 50x5+460+300 -bg lightyellow -title "Close window to disconnect from internet"
Attachments
rxvt window.png
(110.01 KiB) Downloaded 302 times

april

#2 Post by april »

I was just having a delve about to see what this was about .
I can find the executable bin files but not the scripts to have a look at .

I'm using precise 5.7.1 . Can you suggest where I might find the scripts themselves?

nic007

#3 Post by nic007 »

Hi, wvdialshell is in /usr/bin and defaultconnect in /usr/local/bin

watchdog

#4 Post by watchdog »

Perhaps I should edit my post at:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 391#879391

Probably using wvdialshell, which I ignored, is a better way of doing that job.