IRON 32 bit browser is BACK!

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
sheldonisaac

Re: IRON 32 bit browser is BACK!

#76 Post by sheldonisaac »

I want to remove the 'Cached images and files' each time I shut down.
It's a frugal install of musher0's xenial 7.0.6

Will some one please tell a command to do that; I suppose that would be put into /etc/rc.d/rc.shutdown

Thank you,
Sheldon Isaac
Dell E6410: BusterPup, BionicPup64, Xenial, etc
Intel DQ35JOE, Dell Vostro 430
Dell Inspiron, Acer Aspire One, EeePC 1018P

mikeslr

#77 Post by mikeslr »

Hi sheldonisaac

I use the Addon/Extension named "History Eraser" in all Chrome Clones. See Attached screenshot. I use it with these settings to close Iron. Note that the following were checked: Close All Tabs before cleaning, Close App after cleaning, and Close Chrome after cleaning. That's actually the way I close Iron and Google-Chrome.

The only things I don't erase on closing are plugin-in data --thought not doing so would be more efficient. IIRC, one choice I didn't make would have required an upgrade to the paid version.

Google has made it confusing to get addons. Used to be able to do that from "More Tools" on the Menu. Now there are two ways. While using a Chrome-or-Clone you can go directory to https://chrome.google.com/webstore/sear ... extensions or open your Chrome-clone browser to google.com, click the "square" next to Sign In, and then select Play.

During installation you'll be offered another App called, I think, Quick and Clean. I declined the offer, But I think Mike Walsh uses it.
Attachments
History Eraser.png
History Eraser
(150.13 KiB) Downloaded 1012 times

Mike Walsh

#78 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ Mike:-
mikeslr wrote:During installation you'll be offered another App called, I think, Quick and Clean. I declined the offer, But I think Mike Walsh uses it.
D'you know, I thought your control panel there looked rather familiar. If you have a look here:-

History Eraser

.....and here:-

Click&Clean

.....just look under the header.....and see who they're offered by.

https://www.hotcleaner.com/

Both offered by the same folks.....and doubtless both work in pretty much the same way, too..!! Curiously, the link for both pages takes you straight to the HotCleaner 'Click&Clean' page (no sign of one for History Eraser, unless that's an earlier incarnation of the same extension...? *shrug* ) :?

Mike. :wink:

mikeslr

#79 Post by mikeslr »

Hi Mike,

No. They still publish HIstory Eraser. There's a link to it on their webpage. I suspect that Click&Clean has more privacy related options. I'll have to try it sometime, perhaps on Firefox. I didn't know it wasn't just for Chrome-and-Clones.

s243a

#80 Post by s243a »

Mike Walsh wrote:
spiritwild wrote:"We released the new Iron for Linux 69 today, which contains all features and updates known from Chromium 69. The current version is 69.3600.0."

32 bit was stuck in limbo for months and they finally updated it.

https://www.srware.net/forum/viewtopic. ... 745#p51171
Huh. Not just 32-bit; the whole Linux version of Iron, 32- or 64-bit, was 'stuck in limbo'. Last release, v66, came out sometime back in early May.....

Never mind, though. It finally got there. We shouldn't really complain, y'know; like so much open-source software, it's provided to us, the end user, free, gratis.....and for nothing. It's not like the team at SRWare actually owe us anything.....

64-bit version, running from /home/spot, available here.

i tried the 64bit version on slacko64+6.9.9.9. I didn't work because I didn't have libpcre3. I checked slackbuilds and the newest they have is libpcre2. I wonder if I can modify the libpcre2 script to work for libpcre3.

Mike Walsh

#81 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ s243a:-

If you have libpcre2, you should find that a sym-link to it, named libpcre3, ought to work.

I think you have lib64 in Slacko 6.9.9.9, yes? Something like this:-

Code: Select all

ln -s /lib64/libpcre2.so.1 /lib64/libpcre3.so.1
No guarantees, but I'm using something similar in Xenialpup64. Just a thought...

s243a

#82 Post by s243a »

Mike Walsh wrote:@ s243a:-

If you have libpcre2, you should find that a sym-link to it, named libpcre3, ought to work.

No guarantees, but I'm using something similar in Xenialpup64. Just a thought...

not sure which one to symlink:

# find  /usr -name '*libpcre2*'
/usr/lib64/libpcre2-8.so
/usr/lib64/pkgconfig/libpcre2-16.pc
/usr/lib64/pkgconfig/libpcre2-32.pc
/usr/lib64/pkgconfig/libpcre2-8.pc
/usr/lib64/pkgconfig/libpcre2-posix.pc
/usr/lib64/libpcre2-16.la
/usr/lib64/libpcre2-8.la
/usr/lib64/libpcre2-posix.la
/usr/lib64/libpcre2-16.so
/usr/lib64/libpcre2-32.so.0
/usr/lib64/libpcre2-16.so.0
/usr/lib64/libpcre2-8.so.0.7.0
/usr/lib64/libpcre2-posix.so.2
/usr/lib64/libpcre2-posix.so.2.0.0
/usr/lib64/libpcre2-32.so
/usr/lib64/libpcre2-posix.so
/usr/lib64/libpcre2-32.la
/usr/lib64/libpcre2-16.so.0.7.0
/usr/lib64/libpcre2-8.so.0
/usr/lib64/libpcre2-32.so.0.7.0

s243a

#83 Post by s243a »

s243a wrote:
Mike Walsh wrote:@ s243a:-

not sure which one to symlink:

# find  /usr -name '*libpcre2*'
/usr/lib64/libpcre2-8.so
/usr/lib64/pkgconfig/libpcre2-16.pc
/usr/lib64/pkgconfig/libpcre2-32.pc
/usr/lib64/pkgconfig/libpcre2-8.pc
/usr/lib64/pkgconfig/libpcre2-posix.pc
/usr/lib64/libpcre2-16.la
/usr/lib64/libpcre2-8.la
/usr/lib64/libpcre2-posix.la
/usr/lib64/libpcre2-16.so
/usr/lib64/libpcre2-32.so.0
/usr/lib64/libpcre2-16.so.0
/usr/lib64/libpcre2-8.so.0.7.0
/usr/lib64/libpcre2-posix.so.2
/usr/lib64/libpcre2-posix.so.2.0.0
/usr/lib64/libpcre2-32.so
/usr/lib64/libpcre2-posix.so
/usr/lib64/libpcre2-32.la
/usr/lib64/libpcre2-16.so.0.7.0
/usr/lib64/libpcre2-8.so.0
/usr/lib64/libpcre2-32.so.0.7.0
I decided to download the debian strech version
https://packages.debian.org/stretch/libpcre3

After installing I symlink:

ln -s /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpcre.so.3  /usr/lib64/libpcre3.so.1
I then copied the run-as-spot script from fatdog64 (changed dash to sh) in the script and gave the script run permission.

I was also missing
libpng12.so.0

so I downloaded it from:
https://packages.debian.org/jessie/libpng12-0

and then symlinked the lib

ln -s /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpng12.so.0 /usr/lib64/libpng12.so.0
It's working now:

I'm getting a lot of noise on the terminal though. See:
https://pastebin.com/4CdQp5n9

s243a

#84 Post by s243a »

I would like to thank Mike Walsh, for this really nice pet. It is working much faster than the the version of firefox that came with slaco 6.9.9.9.

:)

Mike Walsh

#85 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ s243a:-
s243a wrote:I'm getting a lot of noise on the terminal though.
That's nothing new. All Chromium-based browsers just are very 'noisy' in the terminal; they're built that way to provide maximum debugging info for developers. The only time it's of any interest to the user is when it refuses to play ball for whatever reason.....then it comes in handy!

So long as the browser fires up, runs, and does what you want it to do.....ignore it. I have done for years.... :)
s243a wrote:I would like to thank Mike Walsh, for this really nice pet. It is working much faster than the the version of firefox that came with slaco 6.9.9.9.
Ah; the link, on the previous page, to the 64-bit packages. No worries; you're very welcome. As for Firefox, take a look at Fredx181's FF-Quantum 'portable'; quite a number of us are using it now, because it's not only very fast, but the way Fred's put it together, you can run it from literally anywhere.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=112376

Mike Walsh

#86 Post by Mike Walsh »

Afternoon, all.

Well, I think I've finally figured out the answer to the perennial

"symbol lookup error : undefined symbol gtk_get_widget_scale_factor"

problem that's been bugging the hell out of me with regard to getting recent Chromium-based clones running in recent Puppies. It's all down to the libgtk-3.0 stuff as supplied by the likes of Canonical; it's simply too old!

I resolved the issue after a clue from Oscar's post above about the test of Iron 69, which he carried out in DPup Stretch. I had a nose around in the Stretch repos, and obtained that version of the libgtk-3.0/libgdk-3.0 libraries. By initially replacing the relevant bits manually - I wasn't too sure where they would end up being located until checking through the filesystem - I now have Oscar's Iron 69 running in peebee's Upup Bionic.....and absolutely everything works; even Netflix.

Yay!

--------------------------------------------------

If anybody else would like the 'fix' for this, you can find a 'Puppyfied' .pet package for the Debian 'Stretch' libgtk-3.0/libgdk-3.0 stuff at my Google Drive:-

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vAxHRV ... sp=sharing

You'll probably also need the glib-schemas .pet package I put together, from my post about it in Fredx181's portable-Quantum thread, after Mikeslr discovered issues:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 23#1013223

Without the correct, specific 'glib-schemas' .xml file being in place, any attempt to download/upload anything with the browser results in an immediate crash. This .pet will resolve that issue; upon first attempt to upload with Iron69, around an hour ago, the browser crashed. I remembered I'd put the .pet together for this, installed it, re-opened the browser, tried the upload again, and.....Bob's yr Uncle, all working.

Iron is now my replacement of choice for the final 32-bit, Chrome 48 package I've been using for the last 2-3 years across the 'kennels', since NetFlix now refuses to function any more in that browser!

EDIT:- Also running sweetly in Xenialpup 7.0.8.1; no need for 'upgrades' here, apparently, since it seems the installed version of GTK3 is new enough to keep Iron happy.

Hope this helps some of you.

roadkill13

Iron in dpup

#87 Post by roadkill13 »

I have downloaded and installed on Dpup-Stretch 7.5CE the Iron browser version 72 from the developers web site. I created a script in /usr/bin named iron.
#!/bin/sh
exec -a "$0" /usr/share/iron/chrome-wrapper --user-data-dir=/root/.config/iron --no-sandbox --disable-infobars --ppapi-flash-path=/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libpepflashplayer.so --allow-outdated-plugins "$@"
I pulled the script from Oscar Talks Iron 69 sfs and made a slight modification so that it would point at the correct file in the iron folder.

It is running fine at the moment.

glene77is

IRON 32 bit browser

#88 Post by glene77is »

sheldonisaac, and others,

I make use of U-light (FireFox derivative scaled down)
which leaves no trace in the cache.
I mainly use IRON 56, which leave all traces in cache.
Since I do not want any build-up of traces in the cache
which adds to the size of the savefile ,

I wrote a little script to automatically kill the Iron cache traces
on every shutdown.

I inserted the following code near the top of rc.shutdown.

########################################################################
### 190404-1500 gae
### rm -r /root/.cache/iron/Default/Cache/
### rc.rm-cache

/bin/echo " " >/dev/console

lcMsgStr="=== Begin: Remove Current 'Iron' Internet Cache " && /bin/echo -e "\\033[15G\\033[1;37m $lcMsgStr \\033[0;39m" >/dev/console

lcMsgStr="==> . rm -r /root/.cache/iron/Default/Cache/ " && /bin/echo -e "\\033[15G\\033[1;31m $lcMsgStr \\033[0;39m" >/dev/console

###
. rm -r /root/.cache/iron/Default/Cache/
###

lcMsgStr="=== End: Remove Current 'Iron' Internet Cache " && /bin/echo -e "\\033[15G\\033[1;37m $lcMsgStr \\033[0;39m" >/dev/console

sleep 7
########################################################################

The important line of code is:
. rm -r /root/.cache/iron/Default/Cache/
which is 'remove' directory and contents ... filename .
Documentation is obtained via console, with "rm --help"
In case you cannot read the command , let me spell it out.
Command is "R M " which is BASH for "remove" written as "rm".

#######
I pulled the icon for iron cache to the desktop to easily view the results.

#######
Also, I visually trace the flow of the various programs
by inserting a message >/dev/console
using a variety of code scripts
all derived from this sample:

lcMsgStr="message" && /bin/echo -e "\\033[15G\\033[1;33m $lcMsgStr \\033[0;39m" >/dev/console

This basic method allows a variety of colors, and left-margin positions.
I can change colors in the middle of strings.
I mark all major blocks of code with "white" \\033[1;37m
and minor activities with 'green' \\033[1;32m.

I can precede calls to subroutines and external scripts
(1) with a prefix like ">>> external script"
(2) with a prefix like "=== internal subroutine"
(3) can mark ">>>" exit to external script
(4) can mark "<<<" return from external script.

#######
good luck :D
Glen Ellis
Puppy Linux is more fun than a barrel of M$ monkeys :P
www.geocities.WS/glene77is
glene77is --- {^,^} --- electricity is shocking, Memphis, TN, USA.

geo_c

Should I try Iron 75 vs 58?

#89 Post by geo_c »

I just downloaded the Iron 58 sfs and it's running nicely on studio 1337, which is some version of Xenial.

My question is: should I try 75, which seems to need a lib config pet installed, and would that pet be necessary on Studio 1337 (Xenial)

no need to break the system if it's working is my thinking. Of course it's backed up.

Mike Walsh

#90 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ geo_c:-

I have both .pet and SFS packages of Iron 69 available. This is new enough that you've got all the up-to-date interface & stuff, yet just old enough to be able to deal with DRM-coded streaming sites without issue - NetFlix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, and the like.

From Iron 71 onwards, the widevine-cdm stuff for DRM just gives nowt but hassle; even with everything exactly where it should be, the browser insists it can't find it.....because Chromium (which it's based on) introduced a feature whereby the WideVine modules have to be 'updated' from within the browser process.....and in Puppy, that 'feature' simply doesn't work.

These packages have the GTK-3.0 stuff, and also the necessary libnss stuff, built-in.....so it's literally just a case of install, and fire it up. Also included:-

'Silent-launch' - starts the browser in the background at boot-time; this means it opens almost instantly when you want to use it.

glib-schemas - this adds some new XML stuff to /usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas, and re-compiles it at start-up. Prevents the browser from crashing when downloading or uploading, which it did all the time when we first started playing around with it.....because the 'FileChooser' schema was missing.

Current PepperFlash, along with the PepperFlash auto-update script from our Russian colleague SFS.

And - most important of all - these run as root, not 'spot'.

--------------------------------------------

You can find the packages here, at my Google Drive a/c.....if you're interested:-

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Navigate through, and help yourself to the one you want. The SFS is probably best, since that way, the built-in GTK3 libs won't overwrite Xenialpup's native ones. When you unload the SFS, Xenialpup's newer native ones will be back in their usual location.

Posting from it in Xenialpup 7.0.8.1 now. Let us know if it works OK for you, please. :)

Last edited by Mike Walsh on Tue 10 Sep 2019, 00:43, edited 2 times in total.

geo_c

#91 Post by geo_c »

I will check these out and let you know how it goes! Thanks.

geo_c

Worked great on Xenial and Bionic!

#92 Post by geo_c »

sfs on the fly files are brilliant.

Thanks for making them.