Maximus Pet?

Requests go here. If you fill a request, give it a new thread in the appropriate category and then link to it in the request thread.
jakfish

Maximus Pet?

#1 Post by jakfish »

Puppy 4.31/Sony Vaio PCG-C1VN

Was there ever a maximus pet available (that nifty Ubuntu app that started programs without their titlebars)? I searched, but didn't find one.

Any help would much appreciated,
Jake

Semme

#2 Post by Semme »

Jake, in the event you can't find what you're looking for, there's an alternative approach here.
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

musher0

#3 Post by musher0 »

Some window managers like jwm and pekwm have (manual) configurations for it.
But they set it permanent. Like: "program X will always open with no titlebar." Or:
"program Y will always open maximized with no titlebar."

Maybe you can manipulate this feature further through xprop in a script.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

jakfish

#4 Post by jakfish »

Many thanks for your quick, informative replies.

@Semme: appreciate the link. The link's alternative to maximus seems to assume that I'm running gnome, or at least metacity. And Puppy 4.31 is jwm. I think I'm stuck.

@musher0: I went into .jwmrc and was able to make SOME apps start without title bar. eg:

<Group>
<Name>wine "/root/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Microsoft Office/Office/WINWORD.EXE"</Name>
<Option>notitle</Option>
</Group>

In winecfg, it's important to UNcheck "Allow the window manager to decorate the windows"

My other Wine apps can start without title bar, as does Sakura.

However, Links browser ignores jwm's command. And so does Sylpheed.

Any reason why Links and Sylpheed remain stubborn?

Thanks again for your help,
Jake

Semme

#5 Post by Semme »

I'm sure its running some kind of theme file you can edit.
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

musher0

#6 Post by musher0 »

Hi jakfish.

You wrote:
> Any reason why Links and Sylpheed remain stubborn?

Sylpheed, I can't say, I don't really know the app.

I know that Links is a hybrid: it's a CLI program that gets a graphic interface when
you tag the -g parameter to it. "Graphic" Links has basically two sizes: maximized
and almost maximized. (You can fiddle with it manually to some extent, though.)

In CLI mode you can stretch the Links window every which way, but not in
graphics mode. In graphics mode, if you stretch it, it will eventually default back to
one of the two sizes I mentioned. (My understanding.)

I know that programs can be written to have a degree of independence vs the
window manager. Geany is like that. For example, the echinus tiling/hybrid wm has
fixed behaviors for the windows : maximized, "floating", vertical stack or horizontal
stack. In floating mode you appear to have "normal" windows like in jwm, you can
move them around, but you can't change their size. However, with geany you still
can, because the little rectangle at the bottom right of its window is still functional.

Another example: a urxvt window can be made borderless from within a script with
the setting -bl. And good luck with that if you don't twin it with a timing mechanism
like the sleep command plus an "exit" command to close it, because with -bl urxvt
refuses any mouse or keyboard input. It'll stay on screen forever, you won't be
able to change it or close it. But... it's borderless!

I may be wrong, but I'll suggest that it's probably this degree of "independence"
embedded in some programs. My 2 ¢.

BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

musher0

#7 Post by musher0 »

Hello again, jakfish.
jakfish wrote:Many thanks for your quick, informative replies.
(...)
@musher0: I went into .jwmrc and was able to make SOME apps start without title bar. eg:
<Group>
<Name>wine "/root/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Microsoft Office/Office/WINWORD.EXE"</Name>
<Option>notitle</Option>
</Group>
(...)
Thanks again for your help,
Jake
Excellent! :)

Now, to avoid having to retype this every session, incorporate your fragment above
in the file /root/.jwm/jwmrc-personal. Open it in geany, you'll see, there's a place
for "groups" in this file. Just put your fragment above with the other "groups", save
the file and re-start jwm.

This permanent "personal" file is called and read by .jwmrc.

BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

jakfish

#8 Post by jakfish »

Hi, musher0,

Thank you very much for taking time to write a very instructive post. You saved me a lot of work--I would've thought that my antiquated version of jwm was the problem, not the CLI aspects of Links -g, and I would've gone down a rabbit hole.

It had been a while since I played with this ancient Picturebook (Caruso 600Mhz cpu, 116mb RAM), so I had forgotten that tempestuous had guided me through a nolist option for xhippo in jwmrc-personal. I'll take your advice and also add the notitle options for the working apps.

But my notitle changes in .jwmrc have remained oddly persistent between boots, even when using their custom keystrokes already set up in .jwmrc-tray. I wonder why they stick.

To hide the title bar in links, I thought briefly of running its Windows version through Wine (since MS Word 97/HanDBase successfully hide their title bars), but Wine is slow with my specs.

As an aside, this is the site for current Links2:

http://links.twibright.com/

For old hardware, it remains my favorite browser.

Jake

musher0

#9 Post by musher0 »

Hi jakfish.

I guess your changes would remain until you installed a new program with a
*.desktop file and then you rescan the menu with < fixmenus > and poof! your
"notitle" parm would be gone.

Because /root/.jwmrc is sort of a carbon copy of the template at
/etc/xdg/templates/_root_.jwmrc, plus the execs and titles in
/usr/share/applications from the *.desktop files, to create the jwm menu, plus
the directories / categories in another file somewhere (I can't remember where
that one is located just now [memory blank]).

There's a comment at the top of .jwmrc saying we're not supposed to edit it
directly. Everybody does it, but we're not supposed to. As long as nothing else
changes, .jwmrc will stay ok.

Anyway, it's never an error to have a double of the same config in another file.
~~~~~~~

A puppy running on a computer with a 600Mhz cpu and 116mb RAM?
Congratulations! But wow, you like challenges, don't you?! :) Is the speed
reasonable?

BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

jakfish

#10 Post by jakfish »

Thank you for another detailed explanation about the differences in jwm config files. In fact, you've helped me see why I often had to copy over a working .jwmrc file after a new app installation corrupted the menu into something half-default, half-customized.

Yes, getting this cranky machine into the present has been a challenge and only puppy 4.31 could pull it off (I'm actually using ttuuxx's 4.32, which has a lot of updated apps). That, and the generous help of people on this forum.

I did the compact flash>>hdd adapter thing and boot from that (since the 1998 machine is too old to boot from usb unless I used PLOP). That's helped the speed and once you get things started, it's okay, as long as you use links and sylpheed rather than Seamonkey and Claws.

I can word process through Wine 1.28/MS Word 97 and even wirelessly print to an HP 3520 Deskjet.

The printing only came about through the magic of rcrsn51, who updated CUPS for 4.31 and included the HP driver.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 7&start=30

Even using a 16-bit PCMCIA wifi card, I'm able to get on-line with WPA encryption, thanks to wpa_supplicant.

Rainlendar calendar still syncs with google, though my contacts through SeaMonkey 2.0/gcontactsync have stopped syncing suddenly--I think google no longer plays nice with its tokens and such an old browser.

I can live with the contact issue, if only because it takes a full minute to start SM. By that time, I've forgotten who I wanted to contact, anyway :)