Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 15 Dec 2017, 06:38
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Puppy Power
Datamation: Puppy is one of best Linux distributions
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]  
nubc

PostPosted: Sun 20 Mar 2016, 22:02    Post subject:  Datamation: Puppy is one of best Linux distributions  

Datamation, an IT news souce, listed the best Linux distributions, Puppy is listed as no. 5 in a list of 10.

Best Linux Distro: Linux Experts Rate Distros (Matt Hartley's picks)
http://www.datamation.com/open-source/best-linux-distro-linux-experts-rate-distros-1.html
Quote:
5. Puppy Linux

When it comes to turning ancient PCs into something usable again, there is nothing better than a fresh installation of Puppy Linux. I've personally had Puppy Linux running on a Pentium II before. On something with a bit more in terms of resources (for the browser), Puppy Linux is screaming fast. If you have a computer with 1 GB of RAM, you'll never look back.

Puppy Linux is based on Slackware, but you can also install a version that relies on an Ubuntu base if you prefer. Both versions come with the JVM window manager, though OpenBox also runs great on Puppy if you prefer.

At a cool 200 MB or less, you can run Puppy on just about anything. Puppy Linux also runs very well from a USB flash drive or a CD. This means a full installation is left completely up to the end user. If however, you want to run with a CD/USB copy but need to store permanent configuration files, Puppy will allow you to pick a storage destination just for that purpose. Speaking for myself, I always opted to simply install Puppy Linux since I found that once it's installed, I had no need to take it with me anywhere else.

Like many modern distributions today, Puppy Linux allows its users to install software one of two ways. Either from its repositories or via "pet" packages. It's worth noting that Puppy also supports txz and sfs packages as well.

Now for the downside. While Puppy Linux does come with a great firewall application, it also lacks a root password. On top of that, it lacks an automated means of applying security updates. To be clear, they do release security updates for the distro – I've applied updates via their tools in the past. The problem is there isn't an automatic tool for doing so without thinking about it.

On the flip side, according to my research, there is still "some" security through obscurity provided. First, Puppy Linux uses a unionfs/aufs stacking file system. As a result, they've setup Puppy to keep all but the most recent files in a read only state. Again, not perfect...but not as bad as it could be, either. At the end of the day, Puppy Linux to my knowledge has never-ever been hacked by anyone in a malicious manner. That said, it's high time we see their website upgrade to a proper SSL certification since they are asking people to download an operating system from their website.

Last edited by nubc on Mon 21 Mar 2016, 02:09; edited 1 time in total
Semme

PostPosted: Sun 20 Mar 2016, 22:13    Post subject:  

Certainly not a day in, day out review. Somewhat misleading and generic..
8Geee

PostPosted: Mon 21 Mar 2016, 20:59    Post subject:  

Rather unimaginative review. A CD and USB stick is all you need. Pre-Formatting the stick and First Shutdown offers a lot of freedom from HDD install (no stick) to USB-install. Puppy Event Manager can be configured to save-on-shutdown only... easy on the USB stick.
I have found these are important points to consider, rather than 'default' behavior.

Linux user #498913

Good God!, by the stars in the sky we are lost!
And into the breach we got tossed!
And the world is comin' on fast! --Florence Welch
Atle

PostPosted: Wed 23 Mar 2016, 07:53    Post subject:  

Got to love puppy as you can always have two kinds installed/frugal and play so hard that if one breaks, you boot into the other and restore in minutes...

Shown off a few times with complete install in less then 5 minutes and who else offers that?

atle
Smithy

PostPosted: Fri 26 Aug 2016, 12:51    Post subject:  

“The problem is there isn't an automatic tool for doing so without thinking about it”.

I think it’s better if you do think about it, rather than being complacent and letting some thing slip in on ur comp through an automatic update.
Even though in fairness they are probably all made in the best possible taste.

A case in point was a while back when a Klingon SSL class craft was causing havoc in the Linux Federation with a penetrative new payload.

On the Starship Puppy, some people banged their heads, some people lost their heads and some people threw themselves off the bridge into the void.
But then some crew made some ssl missile pets and they fixed the problem.

Even though they were created further up chain by major boffins in the Linux Federation, they were presented in palatable doggy treat fashion by the Puppy guys/gals.
Seem to remember some recent rumblings on board about the efficacy of ssl now though.

Same with that blooming Skype. Some excellent solution with Apulse, again from further up the boffin chain, but converted into palatable puppy dog treats.
Now there is a rebel alliance of only Skype 4.3. If you use later than that, we can’t/ won’t talk to you.
As Microsoft have said, you’ll just have to talk between yourselves.

I reckon Puppy Phone could come into its own if developed with Hiawatha/XAMPP thing. A popup Voip. How the heck that would work though, no idea. Stun Turn Ice. That thing would need a few gui buttons to click for sure.
Pelo

PostPosted: Wed 02 Nov 2016, 04:43    Post subject: Puppy Linux is the best Linux, my best OS.  

Puppy Linux is the best Linux, my best OS.
However we are far from downloads of big Linux. We have to make Puppy Linux known better !

Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]  
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Puppy Power
Jump to: