dialling out

Booting, installing, newbie
bobanshirl

dialling out

#1 Post by bobanshirl »

Can someone tell me what to type in a console to get the window where I can enter the valid phone number,valid login name,and valid password.When I type wvdial I get
Wvdial:Internet Dialler ver 1.53
Initialising Modem
Sending ATZ etc,etc,etc,
then
Modem Initialised
Configuration does not specify a valid phone number
" login name
" password
am I right in saying that you dont have to type a beginning word in the console like in Dapper with Sudo.Also I dont know where or how to find whatever file I need to edit am just a learner with this .Cheers

gamfa

#2 Post by gamfa »

You are supposed to edit the bottom three entries in that window and remove the ; at the begining of those lines and click save.
"Don't tell my cattle that I have leather seats in my truck"

"I don't let my schooling get in the way of my education"...Mark Twain

bobanshirl

dialling out

#3 Post by bobanshirl »

Unfortunately the window that opens when I type wvdial in the console does not give you the option to add or alter anything it just tells me that the configuration is wrong.Have you another idea.

Sage

#4 Post by Sage »

Provided your modem is plugged in to COM1 or COM2 and switched on before you click WVDial, it will be detected and you get the options panel. It may not be normal or evident, but this panel is DIRECTLY editable. Just remove the ';' and type in your connection parameters. Press the Save option at the bottom and it will connect.
Presume you have a proper modem?!
You have a lot of reading to do. Search previous extensive discussions here on this topic. Look back at least one year.