Wifi-Connect 2017B beta (Deprecated)

stemsee

#106 Post by stemsee »

I see a let-down if the machine doesn't have a wifi-card there is zero functionality for ethernet. So now I will be adding more access for ethernet and usb.

slavvo67

#107 Post by slavvo67 »

Stemsee:

Does this search for wifi drivers on the hard drive and wrap them? It would be nice to have that kind of functionality for people that can't find Linux drivers for their particular systems.

Kind regards,

Slavvo67

stemsee

#108 Post by stemsee »

Slavvo

I had a look at how to use ndiswrapper. It seems there are two stages 1) associate the windows wifi driver *.inf with ndiswrapper 2) then use the -D switch to uspecify ndiswrapper as the driver when using wpasupplicant.

To build the module for each system seems to require installing the headers, and compiling ndiswrapper from source. Also requires downloading the windows driver for your wifi card/s and locating it.

I have no way to develope and test such routines as all my wifi cards work on linux.

Actually none of these scripts have the option to test or load other drivers.

If anyone wants to volunteer some tested code, great!

stemsee

gcmartin

#109 Post by gcmartin »

I can see where system's available drivers would be outside of the scope of this utility. Still the utility has its solid offering for what it does in its mission. Ease!

The driver issue in Puppyland has been a "target" for years with no clear-cut direction. Some developers include all in base ... Some include drivers in zdrv/ydrv/adrv ... Some only include a subset ... Each distro has a reflection of what its developer feel best fro his offering.

This driver problem is consistent across operating systems.

Ease of use, though, and clear guidance in ease of use it what appears, here, leaving driver discovery to the base running system.

stemsee

#110 Post by stemsee »

In the meantime here is wifi-connect-30

Solves wlan1/2 start/stop bug in wifi-connect-2 menu.

Introduces code that should allow the gui to start when no wifi-card found (not tested by me as machine has two unremoveable cards)

Solves issue when only one AP is found; loop generated 30 entries the same for when only one AP found.

Scanner early menu wouldn't close
Last edited by stemsee on Tue 21 Nov 2017, 07:33, edited 1 time in total.

stemsee

#111 Post by stemsee »

NoArch version without dhcpcd binary.

stemsee

#112 Post by stemsee »

I have managed to code wifi-connect script to successfully connect using udhcpc if dhcpcd is not found. But dhcpcd is preferred if system has both.

I will test some more before adding that code to all scripts.

stemsee

#113 Post by stemsee »

Ok ... finished testing!

Needs testing on other systems. Feedback essential.

Has dhcpcd i386 binary in.

fake .gz extensions just rename and remove the .gz

stemsee

#114 Post by stemsee »

Icons updated. Also renamed apps to ; Wifi-Profiles, Wifi-Scanner and Wifi-Eduroam to match Wifi-Connect in Menu.
Attachments
capture31969.png
(19.67 KiB) Downloaded 695 times
capture1335.png
(49.56 KiB) Downloaded 697 times
mrnu.png
(44.59 KiB) Downloaded 694 times
Last edited by stemsee on Tue 21 Nov 2017, 07:34, edited 1 time in total.

stemsee

#115 Post by stemsee »

I have added simple profile management for saved profiles, available when using wifi-profiles app. Option to delete selected profile.
Attachments
capture17366.png
(19.73 KiB) Downloaded 624 times

stemsee

#116 Post by stemsee »

As far as I know, wifi-connect is the only application that can connect your pc to the internet using either udhcpc or dhcpcd, without user intervention.

I have been testing this feature for a couple of weeks now and no issues.

greengeek

#117 Post by greengeek »

Hi stemsee - I gave this a try on a Slacko 5.6 derivative but it failed to run due to lack of zenity and yad. (Might be worth mentioning those dependencies if not already highlighted somewhere - I may have missed them).

Once the dependencies were added I got to first base but couldn't get scan results (which I assume is step one). Also ended up with two icons in the tray and couldn't terminate them. Will try again and report back with specifics once I know how to disable frisbee on my system - I think it lurks in the background and may interfere.

stemsee

#118 Post by stemsee »

Wifi-connect should be the first script to use, for creating profiles, it also unblocks interfaces first.
Maybe try

Code: Select all

rfkill unblock all
in term first

I noted the same 'problem' with tray icons.

Thanks for reporting

stemsee

#119 Post by stemsee »

I intend to rewrite the way the tray menus are handled. Firstly there will only ever be one menu generated from an exported function. All subsequent scripts will use the same comprehensive menu. Infos will be generated also using exported functions with timeouts thus eliminating the need to use Esc to close any dialogue box.

I may also add ndiswrapper functionality. Widi is also a possibility.

stemsee

gcmartin

#120 Post by gcmartin »

WiDi +1

Pelo

pet downloaded for try on Slacko 5.3.3 XFCE.

#121 Post by Pelo »

pet doownloaded for try on Slacko 5.3.3 XFCE. Frisbee there is always cut from wireless. I was searching for a newer frisbee, but Wifi-connect was there at the top. On try, feed back as soon as .. connected.

Never i got this ip :idea: but it works. Why a different ip with wifi-connect ? I don't know.. and i don't Mind.. it works better than frisbee on my Slacko 5.3.3
Last edited by Pelo on Sat 22 Oct 2016, 10:41, edited 1 time in total.

stemsee

#122 Post by stemsee »

The random mac generator makes your computer look like another computer and the network assigns you a different ip. This is especially the case if your ip address is under surveilance.

Pelo

How to stop the scanner ?

#123 Post by Pelo »

i Like it :!: (Dpup Wheezy 3.5.2.11)
How to stop the scanner ? it does not stop scanning, at bottom RH of my screen.. !

stemsee

#124 Post by stemsee »

just go to menu > scanner
The same command starts and stops scanner. It stops before the next scan ... ie it doesn't stop immediately ... if finishes current display job!

slavvo67

#125 Post by slavvo67 »

This does not work on Quirky and, in fact, had some extremely negative affects. Not only did it not connect my wifi but it somehow broke the Simple Network Setup. Ultimately, I had to reformat the stick to make sure all was well. I guess it's a good reminder to users that Puppyland is use at your own risk.

Stemsee, I wish you luck with enhancing this one but I think I'll stay away until it's further polished. You may want to mark this up as an alpha version until you can get all the kinks out.