Wifi-Connect 2017B beta (Deprecated)

Pelo

pet downloaded for try on Slacko 5.3.3 XFCE.

#121 Post by Pelo »

pet doownloaded for try on Slacko 5.3.3 XFCE. Frisbee there is always cut from wireless. I was searching for a newer frisbee, but Wifi-connect was there at the top. On try, feed back as soon as .. connected.

Never i got this ip :idea: but it works. Why a different ip with wifi-connect ? I don't know.. and i don't Mind.. it works better than frisbee on my Slacko 5.3.3
Last edited by Pelo on Sat 22 Oct 2016, 10:41, edited 1 time in total.

stemsee

#122 Post by stemsee »

The random mac generator makes your computer look like another computer and the network assigns you a different ip. This is especially the case if your ip address is under surveilance.

Pelo

How to stop the scanner ?

#123 Post by Pelo »

i Like it :!: (Dpup Wheezy 3.5.2.11)
How to stop the scanner ? it does not stop scanning, at bottom RH of my screen.. !

stemsee

#124 Post by stemsee »

just go to menu > scanner
The same command starts and stops scanner. It stops before the next scan ... ie it doesn't stop immediately ... if finishes current display job!

slavvo67

#125 Post by slavvo67 »

This does not work on Quirky and, in fact, had some extremely negative affects. Not only did it not connect my wifi but it somehow broke the Simple Network Setup. Ultimately, I had to reformat the stick to make sure all was well. I guess it's a good reminder to users that Puppyland is use at your own risk.

Stemsee, I wish you luck with enhancing this one but I think I'll stay away until it's further polished. You may want to mark this up as an alpha version until you can get all the kinks out.

greengeek

#126 Post by greengeek »

slavvo67 wrote:Ultimately, I had to reformat the stick to make sure all was well. .
Hi Slavvo, can you offer a bit more information about this? What sort of install did you have? Thats pretty serious if installing one pet destroys your entire install.

If you have a frugal install all that should be required is to reload the savefile from backup. If you have a full install it is probably best to stay away from any pet at all. I don't think any pet maker can test every pup distro.

stemsee

#127 Post by stemsee »

What you describe is 'impossible'! I know what is in the script and your limited description of the context and environment also preceding run up to the disaster and all other running tasks at the time makes no sense a all.

These scripts share nothing with simple network setup. They alter sns in no way whatever.
Wifi-connect has been tested and routinely used on pupjibaro jessie, DebianDog, FatDog, Lighthouse64-700, DpupWheezy, and a few others. Although I don't use quirky, as I found it doesn't behave as regular pups.

The only remaining kink is multiple tray icons under given circumstances which then cannot be closed without using term or pps to kill yad processes.

Marking the thread as alpha is a good idea though!
cheers!

greengeek

#128 Post by greengeek »

stemsee wrote:These scripts share nothing with simple network setup. They alter sns in no way whatever.
I wonder if sns gets upset by the MAC address changing? It seems to use MAC within the profile name.

s243a

#129 Post by s243a »

greengeek wrote:
stemsee wrote:These scripts share nothing with simple network setup. They alter sns in no way whatever.
I wonder if sns gets upset by the MAC address changing? It seems to use MAC within the profile name.
I don't know about simple network setup, but within /etc/rc.d/rc.network (start-up script related to "Network Wizard") there is a function called, re-write mac address. I don't understand the function yet though so I can't comment.

slavvo67

#130 Post by slavvo67 »

As most already know, Quirky is a full install to USB. I'm using RUXerus64 which is an almost exact duplicate of Barry's Xerus64 with some add-ons.

First, I chose to search for Wifi addresses and as Pelo pointed out, the window just kept refreshing. Taking Stemsee's advice(above), I chose the search option again, and it eventually stopped.

I did choose to auto-change the Mac address (forgive my language as I clearly don't have it installed anymore) and I choose to setup the wifi. I chose my network and it appeared to connect but the connection did not work. I disconnected from the network and proceeded to go back to Simple Network Setup. It did not work. I can't elaborate on the message - probably no connections found or something. I did a reboot and again, no Simple Network Setup. Related or not at this point, my desktop icons started with the triangles of death. I proceeded to do a hard shutdown, reboot with another USB and ultimately did a re-install. I didn't use Snapshot Manager for Quirky so basically I had to do a re-install to get my internet back. Luckily, I tend to save items of importance off the USB to other locations, so ultimately, no harm - no foul.

Mind you, it wasn't a big deal to me because I have quite a few USB's that I can boot from but it could have been if that USB was important. I wasn't going to report it but I felt it could save someone else some headaches.

My equipment probably doesn't matter much but I'm using a Dell desktop and a Netgear wifi adapter N150 that works on every Quirky and Puppy, so far. I can send more specifics if you think it's necessary.

Stemsee - Maybe I'll do a fresh install against a fresh USB to play around and try to figure out what's going on.... Seems definitely like a worthwhile project.

Kind regards,

Slavvo67

bigpup

#131 Post by bigpup »

This does not work on Quirky
What version?

I would not get too concerned with it working in Quirky.
Quirky is not a normal build of Puppy.
It is Barry K's play toy and does things the Quirky way, not always the Puppy way.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

stemsee

#132 Post by stemsee »

What might be possile is that shutting down wifi-connect or related script may leave the network hardware off ie 'rfkill block wlan0' or ' ifconfig wlan0 down'. Then sns might not turn on the hardware. I didn't read that script. In which case typing 'rfkill unblock wlan0' n term before using sns should sort it out. But to arrive at that situation would require stopping the script with remarkable accuracy at exactly the right time!!

stemsee

#133 Post by stemsee »

Here is an update with bug fixes to do with menu and waiting for ip address, ie tray no longer starts after timeout waiting for ip address. When ip address is acquired then it starts.

Tray notification menu now reliably opens/closes and replaces previous tray. This was achieved by adding a new 'wifistarter' script.

'rfkill unblock all' now 'rfkill unblock 'specific interface''

Added ra* name to usb0 section.

This sfs assumes either udhcpcd or dhcpcd or both and hook scripts are installed. The script depends on yad. But dependency checking is carried out by script also.
Last edited by stemsee on Tue 21 Nov 2017, 07:32, edited 1 time in total.

greengeek

#134 Post by greengeek »

Hi stemsee - I feel I can't make use of Wif-connect at the moment because of frisbee being grafted into Slacko 5.6 (and my network seems reliable as is so far) - however I like the sounds of the MAC switcher you have built in.

Have you considered building the MAC switcher as a separate item? I really like the sounds of being able to make my PC appear to have a different network adapter sometimes.

Not sure how that might affect frisbee or sns or whatever but I'm keen to give it a go.

Pelo

They generally fight together and get the connexion stopped.

#135 Post by Pelo »

Josep2424 only uses Wifi-connect as he likes it. Included in the menu of the last Pupjibaro Jessie., Puppy born in South America few days ago.
However don't multiply tools for wifi inside a same Puppy. They generally fight together and get the connexion stopped.
My first try with Slacko 5.3.3 was succesffull, but i did it a littele bit hazardous, and i got the anwser with frisbee appearing on screen. New tool, we must learn how to use it. Generally we read the how-to.. after.
Attachments
wifi-connect.jpg
Wifi-connect yet included in the Puppies just released. (josep2424)
(50.03 KiB) Downloaded 208 times

stemsee

#136 Post by stemsee »

dhcpcd takes a configuration file full of requests it makes to the server. I am trying this out.

stemsee

#137 Post by stemsee »

I have got a 2nd usb wifi card. It is high powered and does indeed pickup signals from far away networks. This also means that wifi-connect scripts would normally need additional code to accommodate wlan2 along side wlan0 and wlan1. So I have implemented a simple and fundamental change which is already in place for wifi-profiles. A simple wifi adapter selector before scan and connection. This effectively does away with the need for wifi-connect-2 script.

in addition scanner has now been updated to connect to both ssid and bssid (mac address) specific AP networks.

HotSpot is now the frontend for 'create_ap' cli network sharing program.
This will be included in next update. Create_ap will compile and install on first use if devx is loaded.

Will post soon.

stemsee

#138 Post by stemsee »

update to the scripts that make Wifi-Connection-Suite-2017
Attachments
xscreenshot-20170604T164612.png
(37.38 KiB) Downloaded 554 times
wificonect2017.png
(99.34 KiB) Downloaded 543 times
Last edited by stemsee on Tue 21 Nov 2017, 07:31, edited 1 time in total.

stemsee

#139 Post by stemsee »

Wifi-Connect-2017B.sfs

Significant improvements. including rescan, interface reselect. dhcpcd has priority over udhcpc.
Attachments
xscreenshot-20170628T125046.png
(45.92 KiB) Downloaded 524 times

stemsee

#140 Post by stemsee »

I have been working on this slowly. I have not used any other connection manager daily for a coupe of years now. It is really stable and quick and intuitive to use. I will probably add wep and wps and options for encryption (eventually). i have also modified conky_ip show to accomodate the variety of multiple interfaces the Wifi-Connection suite handles.

udhcpc is now default with the /usr/share/udhcpc/default.script now supporting yad notifications boxes as well as terminal ones.

Wifi-HotSpot is reliable with create_ap backend. I made some adjustments to info display to view connected clients.

Wifi-Scanner-2 replaces Wifi-Scanner, and now has autoconnect feature on X startup by creating a script in /etc/xdg/Startup/'autocon'. This script will eventually be the only script replacing all the others after incorporating their features. Handling profiles is basically provided. Pop up box for driver options, and modes is provided in one gui with password and user id (greyed out if not needed). I will add random mac tick box and mac editor to this popup as well, maybe in a tab to keep size down! The autoconnect/stop-auto has been added to tray menu. Menu opens after interface selection is complete. PSK is correctly supported now. Profiles are stored with ssid and mac address. Still hardcoded for scaling to 8 interfaces, but will be completely and freely scaleable shortly.

Eduroam, is no longer needed. But is useful nonetheless.

Wifi-Connect remains for one interface connection, with a different interface style ... useful as a backup.

Wifi-Profiles stays for now, but is nearly entirely incorporated into Wifi-Scanner-2 (soon to be Wifi-Scanner).
Attachments
xscreenshot-20171114T193453.png
(26.08 KiB) Downloaded 363 times
menu.png
(25.24 KiB) Downloaded 366 times
xscreenshot-20171114T193733.png
(24.85 KiB) Downloaded 360 times