NetFlix testers required for CHROMIUM (NOT Chrome)...

News, happenings
cthisbear

#16 Post by cthisbear »

" some research by myself, and some digging around by peebee,
it may soon be possible to enable viewing NetFlix with Chromium,
instead of having to install Google's Chrome in order to do so. "

I would have liked more pet releases of Slimjet.
That worked on more Puppies.
At least you can configure it to stop Google.

Version 4.0.14.0 (based on Chromium 42.0.2311.90)
works fine in Windows...no issues...

watching Longmire now.

Chris.

smokey01

#17 Post by smokey01 »

smokey01

#18 Post by smokey01 »

Mike Walsh wrote:@smokey01:-
Welcome, welcome. Hm. TBH, I'm not sure whether the SFS packages do work in FatDOG.....never used it myself. D'you use any SFS packages with it currently?
All my larger applications in Fatdog are SFS files.
If you haven't tried Fatdog64 you sure are missing out :wink:

Mike Walsh

#19 Post by Mike Walsh »

cthisbear wrote:" some research by myself, and some digging around by peebee,
it may soon be possible to enable viewing NetFlix with Chromium,
instead of having to install Google's Chrome in order to do so. "

I would have liked more pet releases of Slimjet.
That worked on more Puppies.
At least you can configure it to stop Google.

Version 4.0.14.0 (based on Chromium 42.0.2311.90)
works fine in Windows...no issues...

watching Longmire now.

Chris.
Hi, Chris.

I kind of agree with you about Slimjet; I use it myself, and like some of the features immensely. However, I've tried this business of adding-in the WideVine modules, and enabling 'E.M.E' in 'chrome://flags' with Slimjet, and I can't get it to work at all. It's based on Chromium as it is; where am I going wrong with this one, then?

Mike. :wink:

Belham

installing chromium over chrome

#20 Post by Belham »

Hi all,

I am just trying to understand here why there is the need to install Chromium (especially to watch things like Netflix) over Chrome in most any Puppy? From other forum posters like Musher on down, I agree with not completely supporting the basalt monolith of S. California, but, dang, Chromium is just a royal PITA for all puppies when wanting to to watch Netflix (and not have to jump through hoops to get it to work).

I currently flip between using Slacko64 Puppy 6.3.0, Tahr64 Puppy 6.0.5, Barry's Quirky Werewolf64 7.4 and Fatdog64 702(when I've the patience for it to load). I've even played with the 64-bit versions of the dog (DebianDog64). Google chrome installs so easily on all of them, less than 2-3 mins and it's done. Google downloads as a .deb file that all puppies immediately are eager to install, and the best is that there is no more problem with Slackp64 & the running as root-vs-spot (3 words added in opt/google/chome/google chrome let you choose how you want to run it).

So, is the push towards Chromium only because of the omni-seeing (data-retrieving) eyes of Google vs Chromium? Isn't that argument is getting long in the tooth when you see what Firefox, Opera, and even some of the firefox-flavours are doing in terms of tracking & trying to phone home? Overall, I understand the push to have alternatives for browsers, which is much needed, but I am struggling to understand the hesitation in installing Google Chrome when all you wanna do is, say, watch Netflix. Especially when it is so easy in Puppies by just downloading the chrome .deb file and letting most all puppies do their thing (in fairness, if this issue is about getting chrome to run on 32-bit older pcs, then I am overlooking & overthinking everything here, apologies).

Anyhow, on all puppies mentioned above, I install Chrome and watch Netflix with no problems (depends which SD card of which puppy I slap into one of my Rocketek readers).

bark_bark_bark

#21 Post by bark_bark_bark »

maybe some people feel morals matter more than convenience? Honestly the best way to not support google is by not using Chromium or any browser based on it.

Mike Walsh

#22 Post by Mike Walsh »

It boils down to one thing, when it comes down to basics. Giving Puppy users maximum choice.....whatever their philosophical outlook encompasses.

I've used Chrome since version 1 was still in beta; I liked it then, and I've seen no reason to change my opinion. I'm also happy to use FireFox, PaleMoon, Chromium, SlimJet....even QTWeb. I've tried Opera (and more recently, Vivaldi), but I've never been able to figure out quite how some of Opera actually works. It's not what I would call 'intuitive' (at least, not for me it isn't.)

Horses for courses.

Mike. :wink:

technosaurus

#23 Post by technosaurus »

Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].