Tahr Puppy 6.0.5 and wine

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
Antipodal

#1 Post by Antipodal »

I would like to see how a computer program (that has been designed specifically for M$ window) works.

The author claims it can also run on Linux using wine.

I have never used wine but my Puppy Package Manager has told me I have installed wine-1.7.23-i486_v2.1 flawlessly on the system described at the end of this post.

Downloading the above mentioned computer program is not costless. On the contrary it is expensive.

That is why, before paying for it, I would like to be sure that my wine version is able run some other "made for M$" program and, last but not least, that I am able to make wine work.

Browsing over this forum, over https://www.winehq.org/help and over https://wiki.winehq.or I have found some help, but because there are many things that are ununderstandable for me I have thought that trying to run some of the programs that are in an original M$ Office Home and Student 2007 CD I own, might be an inexpensive and enlightening test I must face.

I am not sure if all this makes sense to you, but in these circumstances, it is the best I can do.

I am sure that for many of the readers, using wine must be a piece of cake.

But others may be having the same difficulties I have, so I have decided to begin this thread and let the readers know what occurs during this sort of trip I am starting.

All kind of suggestions and comments will be welcomed.

Thank you for your time.

Antipodal :)

My desktop:
P4 3Ghz
ASUS P5G41T-M LX3
2G RAM
DVD write drive
No internal HDD
Saving my stuff on small vfat flash sticks and in external USB HDD

mostly_lurking

#2 Post by mostly_lurking »

Antipodal wrote:That is why, before paying for it, I would like to be sure that my wine version is able run some other "made for M$" program and, last but not least, that I am able to make wine work.
Running Windows programs on Wine is pretty hit-and-miss. The range goes from "works perfectly" over "buggy but somewhat usable" to "complete failure", and if you can get one program to run, it doesn't mean that another one will do, too. You could check Wine's application database to see if your program is supported, although this does not guarantee that it'll work on your Wine install. Does the program vendor offer a free demo/trial version? That way, you could at least find out if it runs at all, although it would still be uncertain whether the full version will work as expected.

Are there any free alternative programs - either for Windows or Linux - that you could try instead? Or do you have a Windows system that you can fall back on if the Wine experiment fails? (Let's hope it doesn't make you pay for the license twice then...)

Sorry if this doesn't sound very encouraging; personally, I'd be hesitant to spend a lot of money on a program that "might" work.

starhawk

#3 Post by starhawk »

What's the program? No need to keep it a secret.

Antipodal

#4 Post by Antipodal »

mostly_lurking & starhawk:

Thank you for your comments and questions.

Since my last post I have spent part of my spare time researching at wineHQ and that has helped me to decide that at least for the time being I will not pay for downloading the hard science related program starhawk and I were curious about. :wink:

But I will continue my research at wineHQ directing my efforts on trying to make my MSOffice Home and Student's programs run on the system I described last Tuesday.

Apparently if I want to do that I cannot avoid first installing the MSOffice installer only.

So I shall focus on that.

I'm attaching snapshots of what I believe should be my starting points.

BFN

Antipodal
Attachments
winedownload.png
(27.84 KiB) Downloaded 409 times
CDcontents.png
(43.97 KiB) Downloaded 400 times