Ubuntu LTS releases to get 10 yrs support.....

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
Mike Walsh

Ubuntu LTS releases to get 10 yrs support.....

#1 Post by Mike Walsh »

Afternoon, all.

Just found this in a post over at Bleeping Computer.

Apparently Shuttleworth has decided to offer a full 10 years support to LTS releases, starting with 18.04 'Bionic Beaver'. This is double the previous support period of 5 years.

There's some confusion as to whether this only applies to server releases, or whether this will also apply to desktop users, too. Canonical offer paid extended support to their enterprise customers; it's not clear if this is what's being bundled in instead.

https://itsfoss.com/ubuntu-18-04-ten-year-support/

Time should clarify the position, no doubt.....but it certainly gives a new ring to LTS, doesn't it? And with so many Pups/Puplets being based on Ubuntu releases, it's good news for Puppy too..!

Mike. :wink:

roadkill13

#2 Post by roadkill13 »

Ubuntu still states on it's web site that LTS will have a 5 year support cycle.

bigpup

#3 Post by bigpup »

with so many Pups/Puplets being based on Ubuntu releases,
I do not understand why people keep thinking this.
Puppy is based on Puppy and Woof-CE build system.

All Linux OS's use the same basic core Linux programs.
Puppy is no different. It uses these same Linux core programs.
Puppy has to get this stuff from someplace or have a Puppy repository that keeps up with this stuff.
These core programs change, get bug fixed, are updated.

Puppy does not have a repository that is constantly maintained and updated. So, Puppy gets this core Linux stuff from repositories that are well maintained.
Ubuntu
Slackware
Debian
Etc.......

2/3 or any official Puppy is very much Puppy coding and Puppy specific programs.
Puppy does not follow the normal Linux file system structure or even some of the ways other Linux OS's do things.

The biggest reason software compiled for Ubuntu 16.04.5 LTS (Xenial Xerus) will work in Xenialpup 7.5 is because they both have the same versions of the core Linux programs.
But even that is not always 100% that something compiled for Ubuntu will work in Puppy.

Ubuntu LTS is mainly about the repository, for that version of Ubuntu, will keep being updated with new versions of the stuff in the repository.

About all that is to Puppy is if you try to get stuff from that specific Ubuntu repository, it should be the latest version of the software.
But that is not 100% true all the time.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)