Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 24 Nov 2017, 03:40
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
Quirky Xerus 8.3 for x86_64, released July 29, 2017
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 22 of 48 [711 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, ..., 46, 47, 48 Next
prehistoric

PostPosted: Tue 27 Dec 2016, 10:32    Post subject:  

Also got a kernel panic from both ISO and install to drive. Something important is missing. One clue is that it reported "unable to find any hardware clock" on one machine. This is likely a problem with the x86 SMB. There's a great deal more information, but I think the reports above should be enough to diagnose the problem.

At the moment I'm perplexed about BillToo's success, particularly when he says he used gslapt to install missing files.

At the moment I'm unable to run install to partition on my test flash drive because my machine can't find a partition on that drive.

I'll post again after another experiment.
Billtoo

PostPosted: Tue 27 Dec 2016, 10:33    Post subject: Quirky Xerus 8.1.5 for x86_64, released Dec. 25, 2016  

Sage wrote:
Time for Billtoo to do what most of us regular folks do! Come on Bill, d/l the .iso and try to run it on a single core 64bit machine....

That method has already been proven to not work so why would I try that?

Try the method that did work for me Smile
FeodorF

PostPosted: Tue 27 Dec 2016, 11:07    Post subject:  

@ BarryK

You will not like it but it seems to be kernel related.

I have downloaded the xerus64-8.00.iso version and this one works.

Just posting of it.

Regards,
Feodor

Some time Later:

There is nothing wrong with the 4.8.8 kernel. After a 'Full Install' of the xerus64-8.0.iso to my sda2 partition and the bumping up to xerus64-8.15 version via the service-pack everything looks good!

The implementation of the 'LlibreOffice' pack was a brilliant idea.

Last edited by FeodorF on Thu 29 Dec 2016, 19:10; edited 2 times in total
prehistoric

PostPosted: Tue 27 Dec 2016, 11:32    Post subject:  

OK, I've got past the problem of recognizing the flash drive, and here's what I found on the 8 GB drive resulting from the install_to_drive script. (I'm using a clean boot of Fatdog 710 to investigate the problem, to avoid complications from my modifications.)

There are two partitions, here sdg1 and sdg2. It looks to me like the problem is with the append in the syslinux.cfg intended to mount the second partition as system root.

At this point it looks like the files are there, but not being mounted and recognized. I'm guessing one big problem is with missing kernel modules.

There is a problem in checking md5sums or sha1sums, since only the defective ISO file has a checksum.

If Billtoo can tell me what missing files he replaced, I'll try to fix that. This release actually looks pretty close to working, even from the problematic installations.

Added: whoops! I found that partition with all the file system was left over from a previous Quirky installation I did on the drive. It includes files which should have been replaced in this version. This would have been easier to spot if the systems had not been so similar.

There's a problem with the install script.
flash_install3.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   92.77 KB
 Viewed   645 Time(s)

flash_install3.jpg

Last edited by prehistoric on Tue 27 Dec 2016, 12:24; edited 1 time in total
Billtoo

PostPosted: Tue 27 Dec 2016, 11:46    Post subject:  

Sage wrote:
Time for Billtoo to do what most of us regular folks do! Come on Bill, d/l the .iso and try to run it on a single core 64bit machine....

Hi again Sage,

I moved my SDHC card install to my Athlon single core laptop, it was
installed using the method I described for the hp desktop.
Seems to be working okay.

# sh inxi -bw
System: Host: Emachines-D620 Kernel: 4.8.8 x86_64 (64 bit) Desktop: JWM git-976 Distro: Quirky 8.1.5 xerus64
Machine: Device: portable System: eMachines product: eMachines D620 v: 0100 serial: LXN240Y006844B0D5C2200
Mobo: eMachines model: eMachines D620 v: Rev serial: LXN240Y006844B0D5C2200
BIOS: Phoenix v: V1.03 date: 09/26/2008
Battery BAT0: charge: 35.5 Wh 95.5% condition: 37.2/44.0 Wh (85%)
CPU: Single core AMD Athlon 2650e (-UP-) speed/max: 800/1600 MHz
Graphics: Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] RS690M [Radeon Xpress 1200/1250/1270]
Display Server: X.org 1.18.3 drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: modesetting,fbdev,vesa)
tty size: 157x40 Advanced Data: N/A for root
Network: Card-1: Marvell 88E8040 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller driver: sky2
Card-2: Broadcom BCM4312 802.11b/g LP-PHY driver: b43-pci-bridge
Drives: HDD Total Size: 192.0GB (4.2% used)
Weather: Conditions: 36 F (2 C) - Overcast Time: December 27, 10:39 AM EST
Info: Processes: 126 Uptime: 14 min Memory: 146.1/1751.9MB Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.3.7
# free
total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 1793932 602724 1191208 7404 4152 456084
-/+ buffers/cache: 142488 1651444
Swap: 2103292 0 2103292
#
laptop.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   46.31 KB
 Viewed   639 Time(s)

laptop.jpg

Billtoo

PostPosted: Tue 27 Dec 2016, 11:57    Post subject:  

prehistoric wrote:

If Billtoo can tell me what missing files he replaced, I try to fix that. This release actually looks pretty close to working, even from the problematic installations.

Hi,

I prepared my flash drive in Fatdog64-710 with gparted, formatted fat32 and I didn't set the boot flag

The installer script erred out saying files were missing (something about gdisk I think) so I ran gslapt and installed the missing files),then I reran the install script.
I don't think you can run gslapt until you have installed Fatdog64.
The flash drive or SDHC card must not be mounted when running the install script.

HTH
prehistoric

PostPosted: Tue 27 Dec 2016, 12:45    Post subject:  

My installation got past the problem with gdisk, but reported missing files /usr/share/syslinux/efi64 and /usr/share/syslinux/efi32. Also told me it needed to have syslinux 6 or later.

Your description left us with a problem of figuring out which system had the missing files. If you needed gdisk with Fatdog 710, this makes sense, but still leaves me out on those efi files needed to boot. Now I know that I needed to install those two files above on the Fatdog installation before running the script.

This presented a problem for my test procedure, which uses a clean boot of Fatdog 710 to avoid corrupting my production system or running a buggy script which will wipe years of accumulated work off a hard drive instead of the flash drive intended. My test machine is running with SATA drives disconnected, and booting off a flash drive with a clean Fatdog 710 installation. Once I have that running, I remove that drive to protect it before running the suspect script, which can only affect the chosen flash drive for the Quirky installation.
(Do I sound paranoid about untested computer software?)
This is why those files were not available.

Now that I know it should be simple. I'll get back when I have more to report.

Added: Success! Now posting from Quirky 8.1.5 on an AMD64 machine with quad-cores. Booted from an 8 BG flash drive prepared with 4install-quirky-to-drive-gpt script. The trick is actually to install the syslinux packages named efi32 and efi64 on the Fatdog installation, if that is what you are using to run the script to prepare the drive. These are actually folders in /usr/share/syslinux containing many files used by syslinux. I simply copied those folders from another installation to my test machine.
qscreenshot.jpg
Description 
jpg

Download 
Filename  qscreenshot.jpg 
Filesize  168.96 KB 
Downloaded  68 Time(s) 

Last edited by prehistoric on Tue 27 Dec 2016, 13:27; edited 1 time in total
Sage

PostPosted: Tue 27 Dec 2016, 13:15    Post subject:  

Thanks for comments Bill - you know my opinion of laptops! Only use SD cards for my RPi s and one of my smart phones, which I use to tell the time and take pictures (nothing else!), and I don't use the other one at all. No intention of jumping on the tablet bandwagon, got rooms full of working regular PC s, all with wired NIC s, and Smart TV s ditto. That just leaves the Android Remix unit, which doesn't get much attention. All friends, family and neighbours are content with their CD/DVD-on-PC + .iso s. A few use streaming and boxes. No sign of SD cards! So that's where we are in this corner of the world.
Billtoo

PostPosted: Tue 27 Dec 2016, 13:21    Post subject:  

prehistoric wrote:
My installation got past the problem with gdisk, but reported missing files /usr/share/syslinux/efi64 and /usr/share/syslinux/efi32. Also told me it needed to have syslinux 6 or later.

Your description left us with a problem of figuring out which system had the missing files. If you needed gdisk with Fatdog 710, this makes sense, but still leaves me out on those efi files needed to boot. Now I know that I needed to install those two files above on the Fatdog installation before running the script.

This presented a problem for my test procedure, which uses a clean boot of Fatdog 710 to avoid corrupting my production system or running a buggy script which will wipe years of accumulated work off a hard drive instead of the flash drive intended. My test machine is running with SATA drives disconnected, and booting off a flash drive with a clean Fatdog 710 installation. Once I have that running, I remove that drive to protect it before running the suspect script, which can only affect the chosen flash drive for the Quirky installation.
(Do I sound paranoid about untested computer software?)
This is why those files were not available.

Now that I know it should be simple. I'll get back when I have more to report.

I'm pretty sure that I used gslapt to install the syslinux files as well (sorry about my terrible memory), anyway they are installed in my fatdog64-710.

I can run the install script over and over to sdhc cards and flash drives now that it works successfully, don't know if I need to but I delete the mntpt folder before each new install then open a terminal and enter ./4install-quirky-to-drive-gpt

I just use it for installing to a flash drive or sdhc card, too risky for an empty partition on the hard drive for me but that would work too I guess.

Good luck!
gslapt.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   55.18 KB
 Viewed   586 Time(s)

gslapt.jpg

installfolder.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   24.61 KB
 Viewed   582 Time(s)

installfolder.jpg

prehistoric

PostPosted: Tue 27 Dec 2016, 13:36    Post subject:  

@Billtoo,

I also used gslapt on Fatdog to install the missing files, but I was careful to run the script on a different machine that could not write to anything I wasn't prepared to lose. That is why I copied the directories with those files to the flash drive I used to boot the clean Fatdog 710 installation on the test machine. It was simply a matter then of moving those directories to the /usr/share/syslinux folder on the system running in RAM.

After that I could remove the drive so there was only one drive to write to when I ran the script. This also allowed me to check that gslapt wasn't installing anything else I needed.
dangerfirebob

PostPosted: Tue 27 Dec 2016, 13:45    Post subject:  xorg-input-abi-22
Subject description: Synaptic touchpad not working on hp mini

Hi I just updated my Quirky Xerus running on a HP mini with no internal hard drive, it runs great on my 16gb flash drive, I have been using it for a month, previously I had Quirky Werewolf 7.4 running also a great OS for this 64bit HP mini.

The 8.1.5 upgrade worked fine but my touchpad is no longer working, discovered that I am missing this dependency: xorg-input-abi-22

Someone over at Debian had a similar problem I found this:

https://lists.debian.org/debian-x/2016/11/msg00260.html

I have had a go at reinstalling xserver-xorg-input-synaptics_1.8.2 but that did not fix the problem.

Fortunately I have a usb mouse that works perfectly Smile
TeX Dog

PostPosted: Tue 27 Dec 2016, 13:50    Post subject:  

Lump of Christmas Coal.. Kernel Panic! hardware clock not found first msg.
prehistoric

PostPosted: Tue 27 Dec 2016, 16:20    Post subject:  

TeX Dog wrote:
Sounds like you tried the ISO version. Read above how Billtoo and I got a version on a flash drive to boot.

You need the syslinux efi32 and efi64 packages installed in the system that runs the script to create the installation on a flash drive. We both used Fatdog 710, which allows installing these via Gslapt.
dangerfirebob

PostPosted: Tue 27 Dec 2016, 16:40    Post subject:  

Prehistoric said
Quote:

You need the syslinux efi32 and efi64 packages installed in the system that runs the script to create the installation on a flash drive. We both used Fatdog 710, which allows installing these via Gslapt

Another easy way to install is to use Quirky Werewolf to create a new flash drive using the universal installer just by adding the Quirky Xerus iso file instead of the Werewolf one, that worked for me. Had to have two flash drives connected for that to work. One running Werewolf and an empty one for Xerus.
TeX Dog

PostPosted: Tue 27 Dec 2016, 19:28    Post subject:  

prehistoric wrote:
TeX Dog wrote:
Sounds like you tried the ISO version. Read above how Billtoo and I got a version on a flash drive to boot.

You need the syslinux efi32 and efi64 packages installed in the system that runs the script to create the installation on a flash drive. We both used Fatdog 710, which allows installing these via Gslapt.

Wow! haven't unpacked ( or repacked ) computer room after family Christmas members left, I sure hope that is smeared chocolate, Wink
So down to a single unused till now dvd-r and looking for a can of wood cleaner. Did find a cool old flashdrive in the mad drive to clear space, but I dislike having to 'save' whatever was on it first. That is the big reason after far lower cost to using a dvd-r over flashdrive. Idea
So will have to wait til next 'fixed' version and my dvd-rw are found.
There where a bunch of nice stuff (scripts etc) in Raspberry Pi version so hope to find same tiny helpful stuff in Fixed version.
Page 22 of 48 [711 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, ..., 46, 47, 48 Next
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
Jump to: