Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 18 Dec 2018, 14:56
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
Quirky Xerus 8.6 (Aug. 16), Beaver 8.7.1 (Sept. 21), 2018
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 56 of 61 [905 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61 Next
slackfan

PostPosted: Wed 22 Aug 2018, 05:15    Post subject:  

somewhat equivalent available for Quirky Xerus 8.6 ?

https://www.howtogeek.com/196933/how-to-boot-linux-iso-images-directly-from-your-hard-drive/
BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Wed 22 Aug 2018, 06:10    Post subject: Re: /mnt/sdcard on android tablet  

BarryK wrote:
foxpup wrote:
@Barry

I installed Quirky 8.6 on hd (ssd) frugally, puppy style.
It installed very well, found wifi right away with sns and runs smoothly.
It has plenty of apps I still have to explore.
Very nice build!

The main reason I installed Quirky is EasyShare. I want to connect it to my android tablet.
I followed the instructions and it finds the tablet but when I push the Mount button it says
Quote:
Directory '/mnt/phone/sdcard' not found.
and nothing happens.
But since the tablet is strictly speaking not a phone it does not have /mnt/phone/sdcard but /mnt/sdcard.
Can you fix that?

Interesting. My phone has '/sdcard', a symlink. /mnt/phone is a directory created in EasyOS/Quirky, and '/' of the phone f.s. gets mounted there.

So /mnt/phone/sdcard is where your files are.

I have a tablet, will check on that.

One possibility, would be to remove "sdcard" from the script.

Try the attached. gunzip it, make sure it is executable, and place at /usr/local/EasyShare

Another thing, run "easyshare" in a terminal, so you can see any error messages.

Ha ha Very Happy

I have just received an email, telling me what is wrong.

Nowhere does /usr/local/EasyShare/easyshare script create folder /mnt/phone

In my test system, I created it manually. So, do that also, then easyhare android phone should work.

foxpup

PostPosted: Wed 22 Aug 2018, 14:34    Post subject: Re: /mnt/sdcard on android tablet  

BarryK wrote:
/mnt/phone is a directory created in EasyOS/Quirky, and '/' of the phone f.s. gets mounted there.
Ha ha Very Happy

In my test system, I created it manually. So, do that also, then easyhare android phone should work.
Haha indeed. Very Happy
I was looking on the tablet for /mnt/phone/sdcard or sdcard since I did not see anything like that on my connecting laptop. lol

I created /mnt/phone in Quirky on the laptop. Connection to the android tablet works very well now.

Speaking of phones, I see there is no puppyphone (psip) in Quirky.
I looked at pidgin, but I don't think it can work as a sip softphone. Something I overlook?
BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Wed 22 Aug 2018, 19:32    Post subject: Re: /mnt/sdcard on android tablet  

foxpup wrote:
BarryK wrote:
/mnt/phone is a directory created in EasyOS/Quirky, and '/' of the phone f.s. gets mounted there.
Ha ha Very Happy

Haha indeed. Very Happy
I was looking on the tablet for /mnt/phone/sdcard or sdcard since I did not see anything like that on my connecting laptop. lol

I created /mnt/phone in Quirky on the laptop. Connection to the android tablet works very well now.

Speaking of phones, I see there is no puppyphone (psip) in Quirky.
I looked at pidgin, but I don't think it can work as a sip softphone. Something I overlook?

I took out the puppyphone years ago, no one complained, so I thought no one was using it.

foxpup

PostPosted: Thu 23 Aug 2018, 05:59    Post subject: Re: /mnt/sdcard on android tablet  

BarryK wrote:
I took out the puppyphone years ago, no one complained, so I thought no one was using it.
I use it to phone between laptop at home and android tablet on the road. On the tablet I have csipsimple.
I have no smartphone. Rolling Eyes

I wondered whether it would be possible to use/compile puppyphone in other distros or even for android.

I like the simplicity of puppyphone and it works very well.

There is also an article from Smokey in the latest newsletter (august 2018) about 'Psip P2P & VPN' with n2n.
It's another interesting way to use sip calling. Maybe the article will attract some people to sip/psip again.
rufwoof

PostPosted: Thu 23 Aug 2018, 14:24    Post subject: Re: /mnt/sdcard on android tablet  

foxpup wrote:
I wondered whether it would be possible to use/compile puppyphone in other distros or even for android.

puppyphone is in FatDog 721 (PSIP 1.41) - haven't tested/used it myself however.

foxpup

PostPosted: Fri 24 Aug 2018, 04:18    Post subject: Re: /mnt/sdcard on android tablet  

rufwoof wrote:
puppyphone is in FatDog 721 (PSIP 1.41) - haven't tested/used it myself however.
I am sure it is still in most Puppies and Derivatives.
It has one little downside: there is no control on the codecs.
rufwoof

PostPosted: Fri 24 Aug 2018, 16:33    Post subject:  

Mentioned it as I believe PSIP (Puppy) phone is James' baby (who co-authors FatDog).
Sage

PostPosted: Tue 28 Aug 2018, 06:02    Post subject:  

I used to use PSIP (Puppy) phone as it was one of the most successful of its genre. I still have the print-out (somewhere) of how to set it up, which is a trifle convoluted, but explicit and works. Main problem I've had is that correspondents, esp. across the Pond, have either reverted (in ignorance) to the devil's OS, despite the endless adverse postings, or have decamped to Android (or worse, over there, - Apple, the poser's choice for guys with too much dosh!) Unfortunately I don't have the talent nor time to make PSIP (Puppy) phone function with those machines.
As an aside: don't you just hate the way our youth, and not so young, have been subverted by those mobile monstrosities? I don't think supergluing them to their ears would help. Really what is required is either direct brain implants or maybe just open their bank accounts to messrs Zuckerberg, Pichai, Page & co.?
scsijon

PostPosted: Wed 29 Aug 2018, 06:37    Post subject: core dumps from iso cd  

Barry,

I downloaded the iso (twice in the end even though crc's were ok) and burn't cd's.

My Dell Optiplex745 used for testing, which always gives problems with easy but has not with earlier Xerus64's, is now just core dumping and totally locking up, only fixed with a power off at the power point, poweroff switch on the base (soft powerdown) does nothing.

Is the coredump > file set in the kernel so I can look at it or pass it on? And if so where is it saving it please?

regards
scsijon
(home for a few days while students are field drawing, thought i'd try to start to kill the mail backlog) Confused
BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Wed 29 Aug 2018, 07:50    Post subject: Re: core dumps from iso cd  

scsijon wrote:
Barry,

I downloaded the iso (twice in the end even though crc's were ok) and burn't cd's.

My Dell Optiplex745 used for testing, which always gives problems with easy but has not with earlier Xerus64's, is now just core dumping and totally locking up, only fixed with a power off at the power point, poweroff switch on the base (soft powerdown) does nothing.

Is the coredump > file set in the kernel so I can look at it or pass it on? And if so where is it saving it please?

If I recall rightly, the kernel is configured without core dump.

You could boot with "loglevel=7" to see what is happening.

scsijon

PostPosted: Fri 31 Aug 2018, 22:25    Post subject: Re: core dumps from iso cd  

BarryK wrote:
If I recall rightly, the kernel is configured without core dump.

You could boot with "loglevel=7" to see what is happening.

Yea, at least something is readable. It seems to be something missing in the kernel, relating to just past the switchroot. I shall research further, just hope it's not tied to the http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1003443 problem as it is a core2duo machine and they are now finding the problem rootcause goes back some linux minor versions.

On the otherhand, i've been given an 'old' i5 (shesh, 3 years is considered old now at a uni ....) that's been written off as they no longer have others of that model in use, so I may build sourcery on that, and use it as a dedicated development machine;

and? do you know if we have the qt5 to development version for Xerus 8.6 available, I have something for the graphic comic people that scanlate to build and test after I debug/update the code if so?
Reneetje

Location: The Netherlands, Fryslan - Foar de kofje net eamelje

PostPosted: Tue 18 Sep 2018, 08:56    Post subject: Casting in Quirky Xerus64 8.6 without mobile phone or tablet  

It's possible to cast from your computer with wired internet in Quirky Xerus64 8.6 and Google Chrome to your chromecast. You can watch on your computerscreen as on the screen with chromecast. So mobile phone or tablet is not needed.
cast_to_tv.png
Description 
png

Download 
Filename  cast_to_tv.png 
Filesize  134.55 KB 
Downloaded  73 Time(s) 
BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Wed 19 Sep 2018, 06:43    Post subject:  

Have made the jump to building Quirky with Ubuntu Bionic Beaver 18.04.1 DEBs, version 8.7, for 64-bit PCs.

Might as well continue feedback for the new "Beaver" series in this thread.

Blog announcement:

http://bkhome.org/news/201809/quirky-beaver-x8664-version-87-released.html

Sage

PostPosted: Wed 19 Sep 2018, 08:35    Post subject:  

Wooppee! .img AND .iso. Should suit 99% of followers. Will be able to continue diagnostics as well as rapid OTG booting to OB's machines. Fantastical. Many thanks, BK.
Page 56 of 61 [905 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61 Next
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
Jump to: