Quirky Xerus 8.6 (Aug. 16), Beaver 8.7.1 (Sept. 21), 2018

Please post any bugs you have found
belham2

Re: Login

#886 Post by belham2 »

Reneetje wrote:Have made a concept login-screen for accessing Quirky Beaver 8.7.1
It's just a start.
Hoi, Reneetje!

That concept 'login-screen' is uber nice!

Any chance of sharing it (how/what you wrote)? :wink:

Sage

#887 Post by Sage »

Shame about the poor DWW review, shame about the poorly informed reviewer, shame about BK's decision. For those who value the speed and universality of the .iso s for diagnosis, repair and demonstration, (such as YT!), almost nothing need change in perpetuity, except remember to remove the RJ45 on old kit before switching on.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#888 Post by BarryK »

Sage wrote:Shame about the poor DWW review, shame about the poorly informed reviewer, shame about BK's decision. For those who value the speed and universality of the .iso s for diagnosis, repair and demonstration, (such as YT!), almost nothing need change in perpetuity, except remember to remove the RJ45 on old kit before switching on.
For those wondering what Sage is saying, it is in response to this:

http://bkhome.org/news/201810/the-end-o ... linux.html

The DW review is not the cause of my decision, it has been a long time coming. My main problem is that my efforts are spread too thin, and I cannot support Quirky properly anymore.

Note however, Quirky is built with woofQ, which also builds EasyOS, and there is no immediate plan to drop the capability of building Quirky. So, someone who wants to create another Quirky-based distro, may do so.

And yes, as Sage laments, the ISO format is not offered by EasyOS. Optical media is a legacy format, rapidly dying. The junk mail in my letterbox has ads for mostly laptops, very few desktop systems, and most of those laptops do not have an optical drive -- I am thinking of a Harvey Norman sale catalog that I looked at recently.

It also greatly simplifies things for me to offer just one download file, an image that can be written to a usb-stick, or directly installed as a frugal installation on a hard drive.

EasyOS is very different from anything else, but I haven't really explained how. Yes, there are some intro pages, but there needs to be a page in plain English, simple point-form. I am writing down those points now, will create that page soon, and there will be new announcements.

Anyway, Quirky, Xerus 8.6 and Beaver 8.7.1 are the end of the line.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

Billtoo

#889 Post by Billtoo »

BarryK wrote: Anyway, Quirky, Xerus 8.6 and Beaver 8.7.1 are the end of the line.
I think Beaver 8.7.1 is excellent, can't imagine what more could be needed in a distro.

Thanks

lp-dolittle

the end of quirky

#890 Post by lp-dolittle »

@ Barry

thank you very much for having provided us with the fantastic quirkies!!

Of course, we understand and accept your decision, especially in view of your workload and the intention to exclusively focus on the development of EasyOS. Good to read that the DW review which obviously missed the point did not influence your decision!

What many of us will miss is the live-CD/DVD option or, maybe, rather the 'totally running in RAM option' which does not vitally depend on the availability of a CD/DVD-drive. In this respect, the live-flash stick variant might prove to be a valuable alternative (finally, perhaps also for Sage).

So, a question/wish which many of us are thinking of might read: is it possible - or are you planning - to create an EasyOS variant that can be run in RAM exclusively? Albeit, as I can see from your recent post, you are not intending to continue the OS.iso-image tradition.

kind regards, and again, thank you so much for all your efforts!!

belham2

#891 Post by belham2 »

BarryK wrote:
Sage wrote:Shame about the poor DWW review, shame about the poorly informed reviewer, shame about BK's decision. For those who value the speed and universality of the .iso s for diagnosis, repair and demonstration, (such as YT!), almost nothing need change in perpetuity, except remember to remove the RJ45 on old kit before switching on.

For those wondering what Sage is saying, it is in response to this:

http://bkhome.org/news/201810/the-end-o ... linux.html

The DW review is not the cause of my decision, it has been a long time coming. My main problem is that my efforts are spread too thin, and I cannot support Quirky properly anymore.

Note however, Quirky is built with woofQ, which also builds EasyOS, and there is no immediate plan to drop the capability of building Quirky. So, someone who wants to create another Quirky-based distro, may do so.

And yes, as Sage laments, the ISO format is not offered by EasyOS. Optical media is a legacy format, rapidly dying. The junk mail in my letterbox has ads for mostly laptops, very few desktop systems, and most of those laptops do not have an optical drive -- I am thinking of a Harvey Norman sale catalog that I looked at recently.

It also greatly simplifies things for me to offer just one download file, an image that can be written to a usb-stick, or directly installed as a frugal installation on a hard drive.

EasyOS is very different from anything else, but I haven't really explained how. Yes, there are some intro pages, but there needs to be a page in plain English, simple point-form. I am writing down those points now, will create that page soon, and there will be new announcements.

Anyway, Quirky, Xerus 8.6 and Beaver 8.7.1 are the end of the line.
That's a pretty big shot across the bow of Fatdog, DebianDogs and Wanderer's latest Corepup, among others. :(

I think the problem here, Barry, is that when you left and handed the reins over for the direction of Puppy, that direction, within a few years, started to falter. The tree you built & grew started growing various trunks and became unruly, sprouting in every direction.

To make matters worse, Micko (for the past year and half or more) has gone missing....you see him post every now and then, but that's it. I understand he has a family and other obligations & all, but it still doesn't make the fact that he abandoned and/or neglected most things Puppy (for all intents & purposes) ok

Phil, with his woofCE builds, in the beginning tried to pick up things, but there's been times recently when he's been in and out too, so to speak. Actually, it is Peebee who has admirably stepped in and tried to give direction on murga...he is the one who has been carrying the mantle of woofCE builds and upkeeping them almost daily. So have many others, with most all using woof to do their builds. So there is that positive.

Oh well, I don't know what the answer is. I personally like all the variety here on Murga, with many different distros, but that is possibly because I have been on the puppy train for so many years and thus feel comfortable branching out with other/alt choices. I understand though that for too many, choices really only does one thing in their life, and that is: cause confusion, much confusion. So, maybe a restructuring of the murga forum is badly needed to separate all the trunks of this wild tree that grows here now.

I gotta say, though, both Easy and Quirkies are and have been fun......and especially ever since you've been introducing "Containers" in Easy. With Containers I've become an even bigger fan of Easy. In my opinion, it alone makes Easy great. Glad you're going forward with Easy and not dropping it in favor of Quirky :wink:

BarryK
Puppy Master

#892 Post by BarryK »

@belham2
I understand all of your sentiments. It will be great if peebee can get out a new Puppy.

I will be starting a separate forum, with a very narrow focus, just for announcement and feedback about EasyOS.

However, I will still haunt this forum. A lot of good things happen here, and yes, the diversity is great. If I post anything about Easy, other than some kind of oblique reference, it will most likely be in the "Off Topic" section!

@lp-dolittle
Running from a flash-stick does not touch the internal drives, however, if you want to be able to bootup and remove the flash-stick -- thus running totally in RAM -- that is doable.

The "working partition" can be specified as a zram device, rather than a partition on the flash-stick. I did start to think about this awhile back, but didn't complete it, so there are probably some details to sort out.

musher0

#893 Post by musher0 »

Hello Barry, hello all.

About the DW review
-- I'll add to Sage's comment that the DW reviewer is ill-informed, etc.

Having read the DW review, I got the distinct impression that this DW writer
is a fussy lazy-bones with a sore lack of imagination and intellectual
curiosity, with near-zero tolerance to different-looking desktop and app
designs, PLUS it is blatantly obvious that he has it in for anything Puppy-like.

IMO, with his narrow-minded approach, all by himself this writer is casting
doubt on whether the entire DW "Top 100" distro list even remotely reflects
users' preferences in the Linux world.

@BarryK
-- If my life experience is any reference, when anyone gets on your back
with such nastiness, it usually indicates the contrary: you are doing
something quite good, and they are green with envy!

-- Thanks for all you have done, Barry, the pioneering as well as the
polishing, for the Puppies and the Quirkies, old and new! Happy inroads
with your new projects!

BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

BarryK
Puppy Master

#894 Post by BarryK »

Things are happening:

http://bkhome.org/news/201810/new-websi ... asyos.html

This forum-thing is an experiment. A long time ago, before the Murga forum came into existence, I hosted a forum, then got a mySQL database error, which required a lot of fiddling around to fix. I decided, didn't want anything more to do with that, and that was when John Murga offered his services.

In the Omnis control panel, the database has an "Automatic repair" checkbox, that is ticked -- hey, that seems good!

Notice the new website is "https"!

CHLee

The end of Quirky Linux

#895 Post by CHLee »

Dear Barry,
Before you stop development of Quirky Linux, would you mind to upload your last woofQ for "Quirky Beaver64-8.7.1"? Thank you very much. Thank you created Quirky Linux.
Best regards,
C.H.Lee

scsijon

Beaver 8.7.1 missing libarchive-dev +libssl dev files?

#896 Post by scsijon »

Just a note that /usr/share/pkgconfig and the devx have pkgconfig/libarchive.pc missing.

Apparently libarchive has a separate libarchive-dev and it's in that together with the man and doc files (many complaints about this from builders).

https://packages.debian.org/stretch/amd ... v/filelist as example.
/usr/include/archive.h
/usr/include/archive_entry.h
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libarchive.a
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libarchive.so
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/pkgconfig/libarchive.pc
+
+
take it we don't need the doc and man files.

EDIT1: .config complains on libssl.pc missing although the libssl-dev package is in the woof-installed-packages as is two others, there is nothing in the packages/builtin_files listing contents for any of the three libssl files mentioned?
EDIT2: yup, found with the four libssl bionic files from ubundu installed as well as the libarchive-dev I mentioned earlier it will ./configure build (make) and install (make install) ok. Now to sort out additions to paths for lib, include, etc.

666philb

#897 Post by 666philb »

quirky is reviewed in Linux format magazine...10 out of 10 ! :D
scan of review https://drive.google.com/open?id=1SsqNy ... 31TLq0ANqz
Attachments
quirkyreview.jpg
(228.38 KiB) Downloaded 1246 times
IMG_20181005_115403.jpg
(72.19 KiB) Downloaded 1292 times
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

ally

#898 Post by ally »

nice!

:)

musher0

#899 Post by musher0 »

Excellent antidote to DW's venom, IMO.
Thanks, 666philb.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

mikeslr

Lack of ISO

#900 Post by mikeslr »

foxpup

adb missing in Beaver

#901 Post by foxpup »

In Beaver64-8.7.1 the binary adb is missing in /usr/bin.
It's needed by EasyShare.
I added it from Quirky Xerus64-8.6.

scsijon

Beaver 8.7.1 qt5 and /etc/profile

#902 Post by scsijon »

I was chasing a qt5 (which i have installed) problem and after scratching my head I restarted with basics of a shell and a set command.

I found that there was no qt5 settings.

Chasing through a few files I found that the /etc/profile file has settings for qt4 and qt3, but nothing for qt5.

I suspect this will also affect Easy, Xerus and others.

Quickfix is to copy the qt4 part lines 18 to 23 (6 lines from if to fi) and paste/insert it below itself, then change the first 4 to a 5 and path changes which will depend on which you install of course.

No doubt barry will issue a new /etc/profile file in due time as i'm also getting a XDG_RUNTIME_DIR not set error so there may also be a few other changes and additions necessary.

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: Beaver 8.7.1 qt5 and /etc/profile

#903 Post by BarryK »

scsijon wrote:I was chasing a qt5 (which i have installed) problem and after scratching my head I restarted with basics of a shell and a set command.

Chasing through a few files I found that the /etc/profile file has settings for qt4 and qt3, but nothing for qt5.

Quickfix is to copy the qt4 part lines 18 to 23 (6 lines from if to fi) and paste/insert it below itself, then change the first 4 to a 5 and path changes which will depend on which you install of course.

No doubt barry will issue a new /etc/profile file in due time as i'm also getting a XDG_RUNTIME_DIR not set error so there may also be a few other changes and additions necessary.
Note that /etc/profile loads files in /etc/profile.d/*

That will include /etc/profile.d/qt5

scsijon

Re: Beaver 8.7.1 qt5 and /etc/profile

#904 Post by scsijon »

BarryK wrote:
scsijon wrote:I was chasing a qt5 (which i have installed) problem and after scratching my head I restarted with basics of a shell and a set command.

Note that /etc/profile loads files in /etc/profile.d/*

That will include /etc/profile.d/qt5
Agreed it's there in easy, not my beaver so copied across and removed additions to the /etc/profile so that saves some problems, maybe also transfer a qt4 there?

But qt5 won't build a number of packages for me with just the file as is and i'm not sure why, I suspect that either some others are needed to be added or the basic set of qt5/libqt5 package set (base plus dep's). may be missing one. If I add the /usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu and /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu to the general path statement it is "sort of" building (but not completely to my satisfaction as too much is left in that should be trimmed out). I will look further and post back as I do need it correct before I update the qtpy packages.

EDIT1: It seems that the default qt5 is not including libqt5svg5 for some reason, and it's mentioned in quite a few bug reports as missing. I added it and my graphic program build is improving, just not quite right yet. I shall persevere.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#905 Post by BarryK »

This is the end of the line!

The Quirky Linux project is now officially retired.

See blog announcement:

http://bkhome.org/news/201812/quirky-li ... tired.html