Quirky Xerus 8.6 (Aug. 16), Beaver 8.7.1 (Sept. 21), 2018

Please post any bugs you have found
foxpup

adb missing in Beaver

#901 Post by foxpup »

In Beaver64-8.7.1 the binary adb is missing in /usr/bin.
It's needed by EasyShare.
I added it from Quirky Xerus64-8.6.

scsijon

Beaver 8.7.1 qt5 and /etc/profile

#902 Post by scsijon »

I was chasing a qt5 (which i have installed) problem and after scratching my head I restarted with basics of a shell and a set command.

I found that there was no qt5 settings.

Chasing through a few files I found that the /etc/profile file has settings for qt4 and qt3, but nothing for qt5.

I suspect this will also affect Easy, Xerus and others.

Quickfix is to copy the qt4 part lines 18 to 23 (6 lines from if to fi) and paste/insert it below itself, then change the first 4 to a 5 and path changes which will depend on which you install of course.

No doubt barry will issue a new /etc/profile file in due time as i'm also getting a XDG_RUNTIME_DIR not set error so there may also be a few other changes and additions necessary.

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: Beaver 8.7.1 qt5 and /etc/profile

#903 Post by BarryK »

scsijon wrote:I was chasing a qt5 (which i have installed) problem and after scratching my head I restarted with basics of a shell and a set command.

Chasing through a few files I found that the /etc/profile file has settings for qt4 and qt3, but nothing for qt5.

Quickfix is to copy the qt4 part lines 18 to 23 (6 lines from if to fi) and paste/insert it below itself, then change the first 4 to a 5 and path changes which will depend on which you install of course.

No doubt barry will issue a new /etc/profile file in due time as i'm also getting a XDG_RUNTIME_DIR not set error so there may also be a few other changes and additions necessary.
Note that /etc/profile loads files in /etc/profile.d/*

That will include /etc/profile.d/qt5
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

scsijon

Re: Beaver 8.7.1 qt5 and /etc/profile

#904 Post by scsijon »

BarryK wrote:
scsijon wrote:I was chasing a qt5 (which i have installed) problem and after scratching my head I restarted with basics of a shell and a set command.

Note that /etc/profile loads files in /etc/profile.d/*

That will include /etc/profile.d/qt5
Agreed it's there in easy, not my beaver so copied across and removed additions to the /etc/profile so that saves some problems, maybe also transfer a qt4 there?

But qt5 won't build a number of packages for me with just the file as is and i'm not sure why, I suspect that either some others are needed to be added or the basic set of qt5/libqt5 package set (base plus dep's). may be missing one. If I add the /usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu and /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu to the general path statement it is "sort of" building (but not completely to my satisfaction as too much is left in that should be trimmed out). I will look further and post back as I do need it correct before I update the qtpy packages.

EDIT1: It seems that the default qt5 is not including libqt5svg5 for some reason, and it's mentioned in quite a few bug reports as missing. I added it and my graphic program build is improving, just not quite right yet. I shall persevere.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#905 Post by BarryK »

This is the end of the line!

The Quirky Linux project is now officially retired.

See blog announcement:

http://bkhome.org/news/201812/quirky-li ... tired.html
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

scsijon

missing line

#906 Post by scsijon »

note for anyone using a puppy/quirky ubuntu-xenial build.

Please check the /usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu/sys/sysctl.h to have the next line after
#include <features.h>

Code: Select all

#include <features.h>
#include <sys/cdefs.h>
#define __need_size_t
#include <stddef.h>
else you may have build problems or strange results.

It's broken in at least in Quirky Xerus-8.4/8.4.1 and I suspect the others.

I've let barryk know in case it's following in easy.
edit:typo
Last edited by scsijon on Mon 03 Jun 2019, 01:53, edited 1 time in total.

gychang

Re: Quirky Xerus 8.6 (Aug. 16), Beaver 8.7.1 (Sept. 21), 2018

#907 Post by gychang »

very interesting variant of Puppy..., using Quirky Beaver64.

When I was running bionicpup64, I was able to install nvidia410 pet file from quickpet and worked welll. Now I am trying Quirky and tried the same pet file and the installation just hangs.... (NVIDIA Corporation GK208 [GeForce GT 720])

Is there a way to install nvidia driver in Quirky?

thanks
---
trying to learn puppylinux... :D
---

gychang

deadbeef install

#908 Post by gychang »

I was able to get the deadbeef installed from here, works very well.

http://deadbeef.sourceforge.net/download.html
---
trying to learn puppylinux... :D
---

Leon

Re: deadbeef install

#909 Post by Leon »

gychang wrote:I was able to get the deadbeef installed from here, works very well.

http://deadbeef.sourceforge.net/download.html
Thanks.

I downloaded deadbeef-static_1.8.0-1_x86_64.tar.bz2 to test it in Quirky Beaver64 8.7.1.

At start it complaints that 'plugin pulse.so not found or failed to load'. Otherwise works well.

FeodorF

Sakura-2.4.2

#910 Post by FeodorF »

Sakura-2.4.2 will show vertical lines disrupted.

This problem exists in Quirky as well as in EasyOS.

It's easy to fix.

You'll have to change 'sakura -> select font' from 'Monospace' to 'Nimbus Mono L'.
Attachments
pic-4.jpg
(36.38 KiB) Downloaded 837 times

slavvo67

Missing Line

#911 Post by slavvo67 »

Hi scsijon,

Do you know exactly what that missing line does? I haven't had problems in RU Xerus, that I know of, anyway....

Slavvo

scsijon

Re: Missing Line

#912 Post by scsijon »

slavvo67 wrote:Hi scsijon,

Do you know exactly what that missing line does? I haven't had problems in RU Xerus, that I know of, anyway....

Slavvo
Yeah, as I understand it, it adds another set of build definitions needed for lower level c++ compiling as well as some stuff removed in later versions but really should have had definitions left in even if not used so other packages versions can still build. It should have been automatically added in to start with, but for some reason wasn't.

I might add that I have found a number of other packages relating to musl/tcc/pcc/etc are failing so i'm building another version of quirky using updated packages to see if it's sorted out then or if the whole stream is no longer really quirky compatable. I'll update this thread with my result after i've carried out a set of basic tests.

FeodorF

PaleMoon update

#913 Post by FeodorF »

The PaleMoon update is out - it's now at 28.5.2 .

Using it with Quirky Xerus64-8.5 right now.

http://linux.palemoon.org/datastore/rel ... 64.tar.bz2

Have fun!

slavvo67

128 GB USB

#914 Post by slavvo67 »

At the present, I wouldn't recommend Quirky on a USB greater that 64GB. Had some slowdown/lag when testing RU Xerus using the 128GB USB. I would gather it's like that across Quirkies.....

scsijon

#915 Post by scsijon »

FYI: Although Barryk has retired Quirky I have built a Quirky Thud64 from his Easy Thud Packages. Barry has given his OK on it. It's in ALPHA though at present, and can be found at http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=116336 if anyone wants to play with it.

Since I like Quirky and the WoofQ builder, having used it a number of times for specific purpose Puppy's, I intend to keep going with it while I move towards a Puppy Quirky with the intent being that when it's suitable it will be used as the stepping stone towards creating a Quirky MUSL and on to a Quirky TCC or PCC cored musl build next year.

EDIT:20191028: I am keeping quirky as my base and working towards a musl/clang/etc Quirky series built on top of T2's packages. It will be called Quirky T290 at present, there is a thread.
Last edited by scsijon on Mon 28 Oct 2019, 00:14, edited 1 time in total.

FeodorF

PaleMoon is now at 28.6.0.1

#916 Post by FeodorF »

Are you still using Quirky?

PaleMoon is now at 28.6.0.1

http://linux.palemoon.org/datastore/rel ... 64.tar.bz2

You can install it to /usr/lib/palemoon-28.6.0.1 pulling palemoon (172K) to the desktop.

Have fun!

Leon

Patch to properly show battery status

#917 Post by Leon »

Changelog

Latest version
powerapplet_tray-2.7-Quirky_Beaver64_8.7.1.pet
As I mentioned in a later post rooftop improved his version of powerapplet_tray. I compiled it and uploaded the new pet package that works even better.
I recommend to install the latest version.
Download

Previous version
powerapplet_tray_battery_status_patch-Quirky_Beaver64_8.7.1.pet
Forum member rooftop fixed powerapplet_tray source code to properly show and update battery status.
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 89#1040389
I compiled it and made the pet package.
Attachments
powerapplet_tray_battery_status_patch-Quirky_Beaver64_8.7.1.pet
Patch to properly show battery status
(7.23 KiB) Downloaded 192 times
Last edited by Leon on Thu 14 Nov 2019, 14:35, edited 5 times in total.

gcav

Re: 128 GB USB

#918 Post by gcav »

slavvo67 wrote:At the present, I wouldn't recommend Quirky on a USB greater that 64GB. Had some slowdown/lag when testing RU Xerus using the 128GB USB. I would gather it's like that across Quirkies.....
I don't think that is the case.
I use Quirky/April64/Slaq on a daily basis on a 128GB micro sd. under F2FS and it is simply the best. I Do think F2FS handles better unintended/accidental usb removal on a full/non-aufs drive install.

my 2 cents.

regards.

Leon

Powerapplet_tray updated to version 2.7

#919 Post by Leon »

Powerapplet_tray version 2.7
rooftop wrote:I've made another small change to the battery app so that the icon will update immediately (well, within 15 seconds anyway) when the charging status changes rather than waiting until the battery percantage changes.
I compiled it in Quirky Beaver64 8.7.1 and made the pet package.
Attachments
Powerapplet_tray updated to version 2.7
(7.82 KiB) Downloaded 236 times

slavvo67

#920 Post by slavvo67 »

@gcav

Perhaps I had a defective USB. I'll try again and see. Are you using USB2.0 or 3.0?

If BarryK or anyone else familiar with WoofQ is reading this, perhaps they can point me to which line or lines create the separate partitions. Maybe limiting the 2nd partition and creating a 3rd, empty partition would omit the problem. I run USB 2.0 with USB 3.0 sticks.

Best,

Slavvo67