Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 25 Jan 2020, 09:48
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Xenialpup CE 7.5 / 25 Nov 2017
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 22 of 54 [799 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, ..., 52, 53, 54 Next
Pelo

PostPosted: Thu 01 Sep 2016, 09:33    Post subject: Mtpaint is the reason, change the version  

melon688, Mtpaint is the reason, change the version, or screeny's one
My xenial is 7.0.7 (screenshot below is not updated). Some problems with freezing desktop. Waiting a stable version, in progress with our technicians.
Why back to Precise ? because FFmepg available.
Why tahrpup and Xenial ? because of libs QT and new applicationns in PMM Ubuntu, as Alexandra, jukebox for your videos, done with SSR Simple Screen Recorder, of course Wink
Feed back for our deliverymen : Xenialpup installed without trouble on Medion Akoya P7624

Last edited by Pelo on Thu 08 Sep 2016, 13:01; edited 6 times in total
gyro

PostPosted: Sat 03 Sep 2016, 04:42    Post subject:  

FYI

I have successfuly ported the new init script from the 'rationalise' branch into xenialpup 7.0.4, using the following method:

1. In another puppy, remove the following files from xenialsave folder:
etc/rc.d/functions4puppy4, etc/rc.d/rc.country, etc/rc.d/rc.shutdown, etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit and etc/rc.d/rc.update.
2. Add a ydrv that contians the following files from the 'rationalise' branch:
etc/rc.d/rc.shutdown, etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit. usr/sbin/bootmanager, usr/sbin/sfs_load and usr/sbin/shutdownconfig.
3. Merge the new init script into the xenialpup initrd.gz.
4.Boot it.

gyro
666philb

PostPosted: Sat 03 Sep 2016, 04:52    Post subject:  

Keef wrote:
@bigpup

Using the pre-installed version of Palemoon. Not updated anything.
This problem takes quite a while to appear - probably close to 2 hours.
After I closed Palemoon yesterday to reduce the CPU load, swap goes down to 186mb. Restarted Palemoon and all ok to start with, but eventually this starts to grow again.

[EDIT] I've downloaded the latest - 26.4.01.
Left it running on Tahr for a couple of hours, and there was no problem. Now trying it on Xenial.
[UPDATE]
After about an hour the swap partition filled up. The CPU then spiked at 100% - but then dropped back down to normal, so did not need to close Palemoon.
[UPDATE No.2] Well after about a further 20 minutes, it spiked again and stayed that way. Had to hit the power button.

hi keef,

i've had a few freezes happen to me also..although i hadn't realised it could be palemoon... i may use firefox for the next build to see if that stops the freezes

666philb

PostPosted: Sat 03 Sep 2016, 04:54    Post subject:  

lemmy999 wrote:
This was looking really good. Wifi working OOTB. I went ahead and did a frugal install to a USB key but my laptop isn't seeing the key. I checked with Gparted and the boot flag does not appear to be set.
just tick the boot flag box in gparted
666philb

PostPosted: Sat 03 Sep 2016, 04:56    Post subject:  

melon688 wrote:
(7.0.4) Don't know why I got this fullscreen capture?
7.0.3 has no this problem.

i think this is hardware related....screeny doesn't seem to like some setups.
the prtsc key should be set to use mtpaints screenshot so try that

lemmy999

PostPosted: Sat 03 Sep 2016, 16:00    Post subject:  

Quote:
just tick the boot flag box in gparted

And that was part of the problem. Gparted didn't give me the option of setting any flags whatsoever Sad
bigpup

PostPosted: Sun 04 Sep 2016, 02:27    Post subject:  

entered in error.
gyro

PostPosted: Mon 05 Sep 2016, 11:23    Post subject: Re: Frugal trial
Subject description: Drive icon numbering and mtpaint screen capture

davids45 wrote:
I can corroborate James C's irregularly numbered drive icons.
I did some testing with a usbhd with over 23 partitions. The following worked for me.
Patch "/usr/local/pup_event/frontend_change" with the following patch:
Code:
--- /mnt/+mnt+sdb2+puppy+xenial+puppy_xenial_7.0.4.sfs/usr/local/pup_event/frontend_change   2016-08-25 00:48:25.000000000 +1000
+++ frontend_change   2016-09-05 23:59:02.565018733 +1000
@@ -52,8 +52,8 @@
 SCRN_X="`cat /tmp/pup_event_frontend_scrn_x`" #written by frontend_startup.
 SCRN_Y="`cat /tmp/pup_event_frontend_scrn_y`" #  "

-DRV_NAMES="$(echo -n "$PARAMS" | tr ' ' '\n' | cut -f 2 -d ':' | grep -E '^[hs]d[a-z]$|^mmcblk[0-9]$|^sr|^fd' | sort -u)" #dump partitions. 130614
-ALL_DEVSS="$(echo -n "$PARAMS" | tr ' ' '\n' | cut -f 2 -d ':' | sort -u)" #130614
+DRV_NAMES="$(echo -n "$PARAMS" | tr ' ' '\n' | cut -f 2 -d ':' | grep -E '^[hs]d[a-z]$|^mmcblk[0-9]$|^sr|^fd')" #dump partitions. 130614
+ALL_DEVSS="$(echo -n "$PARAMS" | tr ' ' '\n' | cut -f 2 -d ':')" #130614

for DRV_NAME in $DRV_NAMES #precaution, uevents might have more than one drive mixed in.
 do
Then patch "/sbin/probepart" with this patch:
Code:
--- /mnt/+mnt+sdb2+puppy+xenial+puppy_xenial_7.0.4.sfs/sbin/probepart   2016-08-25 00:48:25.000000000 +1000
+++ probepart   2016-09-05 23:57:01.503010562 +1000
@@ -53,7 +53,7 @@

#all drives and partitions... 120602 sort...
 ALLDEVS=$(echo "${PARTNAMES}
-${ALLDRVS}" | sort -u)
+${ALLDRVS}")

# guess_fstype really sucks for extended partitions - use fdisk but not in the main loop - too slow #140714
 EXTD=''
Basically it's removing " | sort -u" from a few lines of code in both these executables.

Probably need to reboot and refresh of icons.

gyro
Chili Dog

PostPosted: Mon 05 Sep 2016, 16:51    Post subject: Serious issues  

1) When installed on usb stick, it doesn't detect or load save files on hd. Not sure how serious this is.

2) Barry's Simple Network Setup doesn't work most of the time (normally always works) and, when it works, doesn't save network settings. Dougal's Network Wizard works, but I found it a bit complicated at first.

Last edited by Chili Dog on Thu 06 Oct 2016, 20:35; edited 1 time in total
gyro

PostPosted: Tue 06 Sep 2016, 08:06    Post subject: Re: Serious issues  

Chili Dog wrote:
1) When installed on usb stick, it doesn't detect or load save files on hd. Not sure how serious this is.
Did you specify "pmedia=usbflash" or "pmedia=usbhd"?
Doing so causes the init script to assume that everything is on usb. This is more efficient, provided all puppy files are on usb.
But, if you want to have some puppy files on ata drives and some on usb drives, you need to specify either "pmedia=atahd" or "pmedia=ataflash".

gyro
Sailor Enceladus

PostPosted: Wed 07 Sep 2016, 10:33    Post subject:  

Keef wrote:
@bigpup

Using the pre-installed version of Palemoon. Not updated anything.
This problem takes quite a while to appear - probably close to 2 hours.
After I closed Palemoon yesterday to reduce the CPU load, swap goes down to 186mb. Restarted Palemoon and all ok to start with, but eventually this starts to grow again.

[EDIT] I've downloaded the latest - 26.4.01.
Left it running on Tahr for a couple of hours, and there was no problem. Now trying it on Xenial.
[UPDATE]
After about an hour the swap partition filled up. The CPU then spiked at 100% - but then dropped back down to normal, so did not need to close Palemoon.
[UPDATE No.2] Well after about a further 20 minutes, it spiked again and stayed that way. Had to hit the power button.

I found a post I wrote where I witnessed the same situation:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=904235#904235

I am guessing I was running Xenialpup, because it was in May, and I normally don't install Palemoon on my own.

If you end up finding any settings or solutions to switch off the "gradually filling up the swap" issue keep us posted Keef. Smile
torgo

PostPosted: Wed 07 Sep 2016, 12:34    Post subject:  

I've been seeing that type of issue in several browsers and have suspected it's an issue similar to the old "memory leak" in ancient versions of Firefox.

The OS doesn't seem to matter too much - I see it in Tahr, Precise, and Ubuntu. It seems to happen with all of the Firefox-related browsers (PaleMoon and SeaMonkey too) and more recently in the Chromium family (incl SlimJet).

I've wondered if it's a Flash or related issue. Seems like Flash is always the culprit in these things.

I'll use Firefox and Tahr (32-bit) as an example. I have a lot of tabs (30+ total) open in about six or seven Firefox windows. Everything is running smoothly, and the little resource indicator icon (next to the date) shows less than half of whatever it's tracking is actually being used.

But even without opening any new tabs or windows (maybe typing a message like this one or answering an email), the system will slow to a crawl, the resource indicator icon will spike up, and tabs will start crashing.

If I go to the Exit menu and choose Restart Graphical Server, that seems to provide enough of a reset to get things back to normal. I re-open the browser and restore the previous session and can get back to work on whatever I was doing. But it will happen all over again a few hours later.

It's seriously annoying. But whatever it is, it probably isn't a Xenial-related issue.
bigpup

PostPosted: Wed 07 Sep 2016, 14:48    Post subject:  

Quote:
I'll use Firefox and Tahr (32-bit) as an example. I have a lot of tabs (30+ total) open in about six or seven Firefox windows. Everything is running smoothly.

But even without opening any new tabs or windows (maybe typing a message like this one or answering an email), the system will slow to a crawl, the resource indicator icon will spike up, and tabs will start crashing.

I have noticed that some web sites have pop up advertising and things that just auto load and play as you look at the web site.
If you are leaving tabs open. I wonder if this activity, by the web sites, is using up memory and not releasing it. Idea

torgo

PostPosted: Thu 08 Sep 2016, 09:15    Post subject:  

bigpup wrote:

If you are leaving tabs open. I wonder if this activity, by the web sites, is using up memory and not releasing it. Idea

Yeah, I'm sure my habit of leaving 30 or 40 tabs open at a time doesn't help things, but two of the machines where I see it happening are running 3 gHz 3-core Phenom II and 3.8 gHz FX processors with 8 gig and 16 gig of RAM. I would not expect to have system resource issues on either machine until 100+ web pages.

Another odd effect in the recent versions of Firefox is that if I leave the computer for a while and come back later, the currently selected page in every Firefox window will have crashed, with the new "Bad news first: this tab has crashed" error message on display.

This will only be the case with the selected tabs - every other tab in the same window will be fine. But absolutely all of the selected pages will be down, even if they didn't have multimedia content.

This exact page, for example, was one of the most recent crashed ones.

I'm not concerned about it for my own usage (the occasional Exit > restart graphical server does pretty well as a quick fix) , but I did want to add my voice to the idea that sudden spikes in resource usage within browsers aren't necessarily being caused by some kind of bug within Xenial Pup.
Sailor Enceladus

PostPosted: Thu 08 Sep 2016, 13:19    Post subject:  

torgo wrote:
I'll use Firefox and Tahr (32-bit) as an example. I have a lot of tabs (30+ total) open in about six or seven Firefox windows. Everything is running smoothly, and the little resource indicator icon (next to the date) shows less than half of whatever it's tracking is actually being used.

I usually only have one window open, with maybe 3 or 4 light tabs, and I have "remember history" off, hardly ever have Flash on, and usually run in PUPMODE=5 so after restart everything gets reset. I probably use Firefox 28 96% of the time, latest Firefox 2% of the time, and Palemoon 2% of the time, and I do think Palemoon and latest Firefox are both worse, especially at 800MHz. The swap thing was just bizarre though, and does sound like a "ancient Firefox memory leak" thing. Wonder if Palemoon's lousy start page that takes 50% CPU had something to do with it, maybe it keeps running and growing even after you close the tab?
Page 22 of 54 [799 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, ..., 52, 53, 54 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: