Xenialpup CE 7.5 / 25 Nov 2017

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
gyro

#421 Post by gyro »

@bigpup,

Sorry no explanation.
But I noticed that on different puppies "free" shows different amounts of "Total Ram":
tahr_6.0.6 -> 3500784
xenialpup_7.0.8.1 -> 3492844
These are both running on the same hardware with 4G ram.
Being non-PAE kernels, they are around the expected value, but I would have thought they should be identical.

Hopefully there will be a PAE version of this kernel sometime.

gyro

gyro

initmodules does not work

#422 Post by gyro »

Issue:
"initmodules" does not work properly.
1. The "init" script looks for the wrong filename for initmodules.txt
2. "initmodules" utility sometimes omits needed modules.

Solution:
1. Download http://www.fishprogs.software/puppy/xen ... /initrd.gz and move it into the frugal install directory.
2. Download http://www.fishprogs.software/puppy/xen ... .0.8.1.sfs and move it into the frugal install directory.
3. Reboot.

Note: "initmodules" is run automatically at first boot.

Note2: These changes have been pushed to woof-ce 'testing'.

gyro

Lassar

#423 Post by Lassar »

Is Xenialpup CE 7.0.8.1 a PAE OS?

I have used nvidia64-glx-304.131-k3.14.54-tahr.sfs in tarhpup64.

This driver seems to work really good on my old computer.

In Xenialpup, which nvidia driver would be equivalent to this?

bigpup

#424 Post by bigpup »

Lassar,
is Xenialpup CE 7.0.8.1 a PAE OS?
No

You will need a Nvidia driver package specifically compiled for Xenialpup7.0.8.1
I do not think anyone has made any yet.

The Nvidia 304 driver had compiling issues. There is a patched driver run package.
Info here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 907#943907
Xenialpup 7.0.8.1 needs the one for 4.9 kernel.

I suggest checking with Nvidia and see if a newer run package would work on your hardware.

Here is how you can use a driver run package.

Installing a Nvidia driver run package

Will need following items:
1.Nvidia driver run package
2.Puppy version DEVX SFS package
3.Puppy version kernel source SFS
4.Getnvidia program

Nvidia driver run package:
Download from official Nvidia web site.
http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx
Get the specific Nvidia driver run package recomended for your hardware.
Make sure to get the bit version you need. (32bit or 64 bit)
Put the Nvidia run package in /mnt/home.

Puppy version DEVX SFS package and kernel source SFS package:
First try this in a terminal:

Code: Select all

sfsget
If not listed for download, you will have to go to the specific Puppy version repository to get them.
http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/
The DEVX SFS is usually where the Puppy version iso is located.
The kernel source SFS is in the Puppy version pet packages.

Getnividia:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=72405
Make sure to get the bit version you need. (32bit or 64 bit)

To use Getnvidia:
Well, install it.
Download the Nvidia run package, place in /mnt/home
Using SFS-Load-On-The-Fly program.
Load the devx and kernel source sfs packages.
Run Getnvidia.
It will walk you through the process.
Along with installing the driver. It also gives option to make a pet and or a sfs package of the driver.

Note:
The process of unpacking, compiling, and installing the driver needs free storage space and memory.
The Nvidia package is around 40 to 50 MB.
You need 3 times that space to run the process.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

recobayu

#425 Post by recobayu »

Hi All,
I try to run virtualbox from post here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 055#481055
the kernel sources i download from
http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... _noPAE.sfs
I also install the devx,
But it is still error, like this:

/usr/bin/make KBUILD_VERBOSE=1 SUBDIRS=/tmp/vbox.0 SRCROOT=/tmp/vbox.0 CONFIG_MODULE_SIG= -C /lib/modules/4.9.13/build modules
test -e include/generated/autoconf.h -a -e include/config/auto.conf || (		\
echo >&2;							\
echo >&2 "  ERROR: Kernel configuration is invalid.";		\
echo >&2 "         include/generated/autoconf.h or include/config/auto.conf are missing.";\
echo >&2 "         Run 'make oldconfig && make prepare' on kernel src to fix it.";	\
echo >&2 ;							\
/bin/false)
mkdir -p /tmp/vbox.0/.tmp_versions ; rm -f /tmp/vbox.0/.tmp_versions/*
/usr/bin/make -f ./scripts/Makefile.build obj=/tmp/vbox.0
  gcc -Wp,-MD,/tmp/vbox.0/linux/.SUPDrv-linux.o.d  -nostdinc -isystem /usr/lib/gcc/i686-linux-gnu/5/include -I./arch/x86/include -I./arch/x86/include/generated/uapi -I./arch/x86/include/generated  -I./include -I./arch/x86/include/uapi -I./include/uapi -I./include/generated/uapi -include ./include/linux/kconfig.h -D__KERNEL__ -Wall -Wundef -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -Werror-implicit-function-declaration -Wno-format-security -std=gnu89 -fno-PIE -mno-sse -mno-mmx -mno-sse2 -mno-3dnow -mno-avx -m32 -msoft-float -mregparm=3 -freg-struct-return -fno-pic -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=i686 -mtune=generic -Wa,-mtune=generic32 -ffreestanding -DCONFIG_AS_CFI=1 -DCONFIG_AS_CFI_SIGNAL_FRAME=1 -DCONFIG_AS_CFI_SECTIONS=1 -DCONFIG_AS_SSSE3=1 -DCONFIG_AS_CRC32=1 -DCONFIG_AS_AVX=1 -DCONFIG_AS_AVX2=1 -DCONFIG_AS_AVX512=1 -DCONFIG_AS_SHA1_NI=1 -DCONFIG_AS_SHA256_NI=1 -pipe -Wno-sign-compare -fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables -fno-delete-null-pointer-checks -O2 --param=allow-store-data-races=0 -Wframe-larger-than=1024 -fno-stack-protector -Wno-unused-but-set-variable -fomit-frame-pointer -fno-var-tracking-assignments -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wno-pointer-sign -fno-strict-overflow -fconserve-stack -Werror=implicit-int -Werror=strict-prototypes -Werror=date-time -Werror=incompatible-pointer-types -DCC_HAVE_ASM_GOTO -include /tmp/vbox.0/include/VBox/SUPDrvMangling.h -I/lib/modules/4.9.13/build/include -I/tmp/vbox.0/ -I/tmp/vbox.0/include -I/tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux -I/tmp/vbox.0/vboxdrv/ -I/tmp/vbox.0/vboxdrv/include -I/tmp/vbox.0/vboxdrv/r0drv/linux -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -DRT_OS_LINUX -DIN_RING0 -DIN_RT_R0 -DIN_SUP_R0 -DVBOX -DRT_WITH_VBOX -DVBOX_WITH_HARDENING -Wno-declaration-after-statement -DCONFIG_VBOXDRV_AS_MISC -DRT_ARCH_X86 -DVBOX_WITH_64_BITS_GUESTS  -DMODULE  -DKBUILD_BASENAME='"SUPDrv_linux"'  -DKBUILD_MODNAME='"vboxdrv"' -c -o /tmp/vbox.0/linux/.tmp_SUPDrv-linux.o /tmp/vbox.0/linux/SUPDrv-linux.c
/tmp/vbox.0/linux/SUPDrv-linux.c: In function ‘VBoxDrvLinuxUnload’:
/tmp/vbox.0/linux/SUPDrv-linux.c:454:8: error: void value not ignored as it ought to be
     rc = misc_deregister(&gMiscDeviceUsr);
        ^
/tmp/vbox.0/linux/SUPDrv-linux.c:459:8: error: void value not ignored as it ought to be
     rc = misc_deregister(&gMiscDeviceSys);
        ^
scripts/Makefile.build:293: recipe for target '/tmp/vbox.0/linux/SUPDrv-linux.o' failed
make[2]: *** [/tmp/vbox.0/linux/SUPDrv-linux.o] Error 1
Makefile:1490: recipe for target '_module_/tmp/vbox.0' failed
make[1]: *** [_module_/tmp/vbox.0] Error 2
Makefile:289: recipe for target 'vboxdrv' failed
make: *** [vboxdrv] Error 2
How to fix that?
Thank you.

Mike Walsh

#426 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, all.

Sorry if this has already been asked, but does anybody happen to know why the 'Default Applications Chooser' appears to be non-functional?

I'm not at all certain where to find the 'starter' for this one in the file system (don't know what I'm looking for, frankly), or else I'd have provided some terminal output...

Mike. :wink:

bigpup

#427 Post by bigpup »

Basically 'Default Applications Chooser' got replaced by "PuppyApps Default Applications Chooser"

They are both listed in menu->Setup

666philb needs to remove 'Default Applications Chooser' from the menu.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Mike Walsh

#428 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, bigpup.

Ah. Thanks for that. It was looking at me in the 'System' menu, just a few items down, of course.....but it wasn't what I was expecting to see (if you get my meaning).

Cheers.

gyro

#429 Post by gyro »

@Mike Walsh,
Or you could simply disable 'Default Applications Chooser' using 'Setup' -> 'Menu Manager - edit the menu'.
gyro

Mike Walsh

#430 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hallo, gyro.

Oh, okay. I'll have a look at that. TBH, I normally knock things off from /usr/share/applications, then run 'fixmenus'.....but in this case (of course!), there isn't actually an entry for the old 'Default Apps Chooser' (!!) So I don't quite know where it's coming from..... :?

Cheers for the tip. I'm in the middle of re-organising partitions at the moment, so I'll let ya know how I get on with that, once I've got everything settled back down again.

Appreciated.

snayak

#431 Post by snayak »

Dear All,

When I made my USB pen drive bootable with Tahrpup605, with the below steps,

# isoinfo -d -i tahr-6.0.5_noPAE.iso | grep -i -E 'block size|volume size'
Logical block size is: 2048
Volume size is: 104610
# dd if=tahr-6.0.5_noPAE.iso of=/dev/sdb bs=2048 count=104610
it worked.

But when I tried to make my USB pen drive bootable with Xenialpup 7081, with same steps, it didn't work!

# isoinfo -d -i xenialpup-7.0.8.1-uefi.iso | grep -i -E 'block size|volume size'
Logical block size is: 2048
Volume size is: 163067
# dd if=xenialpup-7.0.8.1-uefi.iso of=/dev/sdb bs=2048 count=163067
It said:

Failed to load ldlinux.c32
Boot failed: press a key to retry
Is it not suppose to work this way?

Kindly guide.

Sincerely,
Srinivas Nayak
[Precise 571 on AMD Athlon XP 2000+ with 512MB RAM]
[Fatdog 720 on Intel Pentium B960 with 4GB RAM]

[url]http://srinivas-nayak.blogspot.com/[/url]

rcrsn51

#432 Post by rcrsn51 »

snayak wrote:Is it not suppose to work this way?
It is, but some recent ISOs have a bug. You would get the same error if you burned the ISO to a disc.

Your solution is to use ISObooter with "splashscreen=n". This simulates a frugal install on the flash drive and will boot.

Because you have previously used dd on your flash drive, you will need to run Gparted and create a new partition table.

snayak

#433 Post by snayak »

Dear rcrsn51,

Thanks a lot. I will try as you said.

Sincerely,
Srinivas Nayak
[Precise 571 on AMD Athlon XP 2000+ with 512MB RAM]
[Fatdog 720 on Intel Pentium B960 with 4GB RAM]

[url]http://srinivas-nayak.blogspot.com/[/url]

B.K. Johnson

#434 Post by B.K. Johnson »

rsrcn51
I
..., but some recent ISOs have a bug. You would get the same error if you burned the ISO to a disc.
You don't do the community any favours by not identifying those errant ISOs. Please do! And if you have not advised the puppy developer(s) of what that bug| those bugs may be, as one developer to another, please do that too. Just a touch of class if you do. It appears rather self-servient to just promote your alternative if you don't.
[color=blue]B.K. Johnson
tahrpup-6.0.5 PAE (upgraded from 6.0 =>6.0.2=>6.0.3=>6.0.5 via quickpet/PPM=Not installed); slacko-5.7 occasionally. Frugal install, pupsave file, multi OS flashdrive, FAT32 , SYSLINUX boot, CPU-Dual E2140, 4GB RAM[/color]

rcrsn51

#435 Post by rcrsn51 »

This problem has already been reported in the original bug threads by other users and got ZERO response from the developers.

belham2

#436 Post by belham2 »

snayak wrote:

Failed to load ldlinux.c32
Boot failed: press a key to retry
Is it not suppose to work this way?

Kindly guide.

Sincerely,
Srinivas Nayak

I recently had this happen with Xenialpup 7.0.8.1 where I wasted 3 CDs and 2 DVDs thinking I must have bad media as I had made a remastered Xenialpup for my old Pentium 4 machine & was trying to burn a cd (and when that failed) tried DVDs too. The burns seemed to go ok, but after trying to boot them up I kept getting the "Failed to load ldlinux.c32" message. Then it dawned on me there might be a problem, and indeed, as rcrsn51 notes, this was reported awhile ago (in a few different pups) & hasn't yet been corrected. I can vouch, though, that ISOBooter works great----it will boot everything you throw at it, as I've thrown gobs of ISOs at it and it boots all effortlessly. Still, hope Phil has a chance to look at this problem in this Xenialpup when he gets time & is able to get it fixed.

gyro

#437 Post by gyro »

I just did the following test:
I copied the folowing iso's to my ISObooter usb hd.

LxPupSc-17.07.25T.iso
slacko-6.9.9.9-uefi-k4.4-PAE-PM-LO.iso
tahr-6.0.6-uefi.iso
xenialpup-7.0.8.1-uefi.iso

I then ran ISObooter, answering "y" to all the splashscreen prompts, and attempted to boot each of them.
As expected xenialpup-7.0.8.1-uefi.iso failed with "Failed to load ldlinux.c32", but all the others worked fine.

gyro

B.K. Johnson

#438 Post by B.K. Johnson »

rsrcn51
I looked in 6 pages of the bugs section from the latest and going back to Sept 2015 but did not find a bug report on the topic. I don't know what the search string should be using the search.
Would you be so kind and post a link to the bug report(s). I would want to avoid wasting time and bandwidth to download/try those puppies. TIA
[color=blue]B.K. Johnson
tahrpup-6.0.5 PAE (upgraded from 6.0 =>6.0.2=>6.0.3=>6.0.5 via quickpet/PPM=Not installed); slacko-5.7 occasionally. Frugal install, pupsave file, multi OS flashdrive, FAT32 , SYSLINUX boot, CPU-Dual E2140, 4GB RAM[/color]

rcrsn51

#439 Post by rcrsn51 »

rcrsn51 wrote:This problem has already been reported in the original bug threads by other users and got ZERO response from the developers.
I stand corrected on this. I found a post by Phil where he identified the problem as Ubuntu's version of syslinux.

But it doesn't look like he released patched versions of the Xenial ISOs to fix it.

The recent Slackos are OK because they use the slackware version of syslinux.

@B.K.

I went here and did a search for "Failed to load ldlinux.c32".

B.K. Johnson

#440 Post by B.K. Johnson »

rcrsn51 wrote:
This problem has already been reported in the original bug threads by other users and got ZERO response from the developers.
I stand corrected on this. I found a post by Phil where he identified the problem as Ubuntu's version of syslinux.

But it doesn't look like he released patched versions of the Xenial ISOs to fix it.

The recent Slackos are OK because they use the slackware version of syslinux.
As Phil seems to be MIA (he doesn't answer PMs either), and the slacko version works, you say, could a straight replacement of isolinux.bin in the ISO work? What's your suggestion? How do you overcome the problem?

OscarTalks provided some help to this question: How do I update the syslinux in a puppy to a new version? but I haven't got around to following up yet. :oops:
I went here and did a search for "Failed to load ldlinux.c32".
Thanks for the link. I am going through the posts as I write.
[color=blue]B.K. Johnson