snayak wrote:

Code: Select all

Failed to load ldlinux.c32
Boot failed: press a key to retry
Is it not suppose to work this way?

Kindly guide.

Sincerely,
Srinivas Nayak

I recently had this happen with Xenialpup 7.0.8.1 where I wasted 3 CDs and 2 DVDs thinking I must have bad media as I had made a remastered Xenialpup for my old Pentium 4 machine & was trying to burn a cd (and when that failed) tried DVDs too. The burns seemed to go ok, but after trying to boot them up I kept getting the "Failed to load ldlinux.c32" message. Then it dawned on me there might be a problem, and indeed, as rcrsn51 notes, this was reported awhile ago (in a few different pups) & hasn't yet been corrected. I can vouch, though, that ISOBooter works great----it will boot everything you throw at it, as I've thrown gobs of ISOs at it and it boots all effortlessly. Still, hope Phil has a chance to look at this problem in this Xenialpup when he gets time & is able to get it fixed.

gyro

#437 Post by gyro »

I just did the following test:
I copied the folowing iso's to my ISObooter usb hd.

LxPupSc-17.07.25T.iso
slacko-6.9.9.9-uefi-k4.4-PAE-PM-LO.iso
tahr-6.0.6-uefi.iso
xenialpup-7.0.8.1-uefi.iso

I then ran ISObooter, answering "y" to all the splashscreen prompts, and attempted to boot each of them.
As expected xenialpup-7.0.8.1-uefi.iso failed with "Failed to load ldlinux.c32", but all the others worked fine.

gyro

B.K. Johnson

#438 Post by B.K. Johnson »

rsrcn51
I looked in 6 pages of the bugs section from the latest and going back to Sept 2015 but did not find a bug report on the topic. I don't know what the search string should be using the search.
Would you be so kind and post a link to the bug report(s). I would want to avoid wasting time and bandwidth to download/try those puppies. TIA
[color=blue]B.K. Johnson
tahrpup-6.0.5 PAE (upgraded from 6.0 =>6.0.2=>6.0.3=>6.0.5 via quickpet/PPM=Not installed); slacko-5.7 occasionally. Frugal install, pupsave file, multi OS flashdrive, FAT32 , SYSLINUX boot, CPU-Dual E2140, 4GB RAM[/color]

rcrsn51

#439 Post by rcrsn51 »

rcrsn51 wrote:This problem has already been reported in the original bug threads by other users and got ZERO response from the developers.
I stand corrected on this. I found a post by Phil where he identified the problem as Ubuntu's version of syslinux.

But it doesn't look like he released patched versions of the Xenial ISOs to fix it.

The recent Slackos are OK because they use the slackware version of syslinux.

@B.K.

I went here and did a search for "Failed to load ldlinux.c32".

B.K. Johnson

#440 Post by B.K. Johnson »

rcrsn51 wrote:
This problem has already been reported in the original bug threads by other users and got ZERO response from the developers.
I stand corrected on this. I found a post by Phil where he identified the problem as Ubuntu's version of syslinux.

But it doesn't look like he released patched versions of the Xenial ISOs to fix it.

The recent Slackos are OK because they use the slackware version of syslinux.
As Phil seems to be MIA (he doesn't answer PMs either), and the slacko version works, you say, could a straight replacement of isolinux.bin in the ISO work? What's your suggestion? How do you overcome the problem?

OscarTalks provided some help to this question: How do I update the syslinux in a puppy to a new version? but I haven't got around to following up yet. :oops:
I went here and did a search for "Failed to load ldlinux.c32".
Thanks for the link. I am going through the posts as I write.
[color=blue]B.K. Johnson
tahrpup-6.0.5 PAE (upgraded from 6.0 =>6.0.2=>6.0.3=>6.0.5 via quickpet/PPM=Not installed); slacko-5.7 occasionally. Frugal install, pupsave file, multi OS flashdrive, FAT32 , SYSLINUX boot, CPU-Dual E2140, 4GB RAM[/color]

rcrsn51

#441 Post by rcrsn51 »

I have a copy of xenialpup64-7084, which has the bug (7085 is fixed).

So I used PeasyDisc to remaster the ISO. I replaced all the isolinux-related stuff with the files from an older Puppy ISO.

It worked, but you don't get the original boot menu.

B.K. Johnson

#442 Post by B.K. Johnson »

rsrcn51
Since there aren't any settings I need to keep, I'll just replace the isolinux files in a virgin ISO instead of remastering.

Although I haven't experienced the "Failed to load ldlinux.c32" error, I'm reading all the threads in the hope that one of them will trigger a worthwhile thought. Thanks for pur help.
[color=blue]B.K. Johnson

gyro

#443 Post by gyro »

I managed to produce a "xenialpup-7.0.8.1-uefi-g.iso" that does boot in either uefi or non-uefi modes.
But it's 319MiB, so I'm reluctant to spend the time to upload it, unless someone really needs it.

Note: The original "xenialpup-7.0.8.1-uefi.iso" file is good as a source for installing, it just won't actually boot when burnt to a CD/DVD.

gyro

Pelo

how-to do to get Xenial working well

#444 Post by Pelo »

I run Precise Puppies , waiting for a final (and working) Xenial version).

XenialDog works well, but without drivers to allow you to work outside with your laptops. At home, its perfect but i can link with ethernet, no need of wireless (no children or wife using Linux)

And if our devs would not wish final release
, only alpha or beta for training purpose...

Xenial offers few improvements compared with Precise, but miss all libs MPEG needed for most of pets created for multimedia..
All pets from PPM are now Debian. So i understand that devs make efforts towards Debian, however Debian never was a leader in innovation.

Just an opinion. Please keep acting for Xenialpup. I sincerely wait for a working version.

Chili Dog

#445 Post by Chili Dog »

Hi,

I really enjoy XenialPup. But when I boot the cd without efi, I get "Failed to load ldlinux.c32 Boot failed: press a key to retry"

How can I make cd booting work the usual way?

Thanks

foxpup

ldlinux.32 error

#446 Post by foxpup »

Hi Chili Dog
You find something here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy//viewt ... &start=232

Another idea, along the same line: can you not set your bios to legacy boot from CD?
And a question: is it not easier to install frugally on your hdd? why a CD?

Chili Dog

#447 Post by Chili Dog »

I went back and read a few pages worth of posts, and after seeing others having the same problem, I followed someone's suggestion and replaced isolinux.bin on the cd with the one from the latest Slacko (6.9.9.9-uefi).

That gave me a different error, so I replaced the vesamenu.c32 file with the Slacko one. And it works.

foxpup

#448 Post by foxpup »

Well done and thanks for the info, Chili Dog.

watchdog

#449 Post by watchdog »

gyro wrote:I managed to produce a "xenialpup-7.0.8.1-uefi-g.iso" that does boot in either uefi or non-uefi modes.
But it's 319MiB, so I'm reluctant to spend the time to upload it, unless someone really needs it.
It would be a courtesy of you to share your iso if 666philb delays the final release. I have wasted three virgin cd's in the effort to produce your achievement.

Pelo

i use XenialDog. Light and fast.

#450 Post by Pelo »

The main problem with xenialpup, once booted is that soon or later, it stops working.. I suppose that is due to kernels. So waiting for a final release, i use XenialDog. Light and fast. Some new apps running without having to compile anything.
Most of your new kernels will not connect Wireless (2017), making computer look as old Grand-papa telephones :twisted:
For final release, don't wait for the best, we wait for posting comments, perhaps users don't care about some details as splash at boot. But kernel freezing sure they won't pass through

Bird Dog

Xenialpup CE

#451 Post by Bird Dog »

Why does Peebee's LxXenialpup boot from the cd and install frugally to a hard drive and 666Philb's doesn't when it's based on 666Philb's Xenialpup?
Frugal Xenialpup 64, Bionicpup 64 save folder on core2 quad Q6600 2 gigs ram, AMD 6 core 4 gigs ram. Frugal Xenialpup 32, Bionicpup 32 save folder on P4 3.0 ghz 1 gig ram, Dell P4 Celeron 2.4 ghz 1 gig ram

bigpup

#452 Post by bigpup »

Are you trying to use the Puppy Universal Installer to do the frugal install?
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

n00b-pup

#453 Post by n00b-pup »

gyro wrote:I managed to produce a "xenialpup-7.0.8.1-uefi-g.iso" that does boot in either uefi or non-uefi modes.

Note: The original "xenialpup-7.0.8.1-uefi.iso" file is good as a source for installing, it just won't actually boot when burnt to a CD/DVD.

gyro
That will be really appreciated. Currently I am running tahrpup no pae build from a USB drive (hard drive died a few years ago) on a Pentium M machine that doesn't support UEFI. Eagerly waiting for your ISO :D

mikeslr

The "uefi.iso" will also boot on computers which use bios

#454 Post by mikeslr »

Hi n00b-pup,

No need to wait.

All Puppies will boot on "older" computers which don't use the UEFI boot mechanism. Those Puppies whose ISO names contain "uefi" have included the signatures that are required IF the computer has the UEFI mechanism. On computers without it, it will just be ignored.

mikesLr

Pelo

pRecord must be included in all puppies.

#455 Post by Pelo »

still on explaining how to install... madre de dios.. (damned !)
I am improving understanding English speech, because written is not spoken. One tool is Reverso, but only for short sentences. Google traduction will speak longer speeches. My goal is to record, to learn many times how to pronounce.
Recording tools : here we are
Precord is simply the daily tool to use
Bacon recorder has no pause, coming soon, on development
Mwavedit is more fore editing than for recording, but it can do it.
My message is for underlining that pRecord must be included in all puppies.
I hope my puppils will learn faster English than our Puppy users learn how to install :!:
precord is ... installed.
Attachments
EnglishLesson.tar.gz
Is Espeak now installed ? Yes, it is. 'Old old are you ? '
(110.3 KiB) Downloaded 210 times
pause.png
precord installed
(10.44 KiB) Downloaded 1674 times