Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 17 Oct 2017, 06:06
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Xenialpup CE 7.0.8.1
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 30 of 31 [465 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 28, 29, 30, 31 Next
belham2

PostPosted: Mon 31 Jul 2017, 13:55    Post subject:  

snayak wrote:

Code:
Failed to load ldlinux.c32
Boot failed: press a key to retry

Is it not suppose to work this way?

Kindly guide.

Sincerely,
Srinivas Nayak

I recently had this happen with Xenialpup 7.0.8.1 where I wasted 3 CDs and 2 DVDs thinking I must have bad media as I had made a remastered Xenialpup for my old Pentium 4 machine & was trying to burn a cd (and when that failed) tried DVDs too. The burns seemed to go ok, but after trying to boot them up I kept getting the "Failed to load ldlinux.c32" message. Then it dawned on me there might be a problem, and indeed, as rcrsn51 notes, this was reported awhile ago (in a few different pups) & hasn't yet been corrected. I can vouch, though, that ISOBooter works great----it will boot everything you throw at it, as I've thrown gobs of ISOs at it and it boots all effortlessly. Still, hope Phil has a chance to look at this problem in this Xenialpup when he gets time & is able to get it fixed.
gyro

PostPosted: Mon 31 Jul 2017, 20:48    Post subject:  

I just did the following test:
I copied the folowing iso's to my ISObooter usb hd.

LxPupSc-17.07.25T.iso
slacko-6.9.9.9-uefi-k4.4-PAE-PM-LO.iso
tahr-6.0.6-uefi.iso
xenialpup-7.0.8.1-uefi.iso

I then ran ISObooter, answering "y" to all the splashscreen prompts, and attempted to boot each of them.
As expected xenialpup-7.0.8.1-uefi.iso failed with "Failed to load ldlinux.c32", but all the others worked fine.

gyro
B.K. Johnson

PostPosted: Tue 01 Aug 2017, 00:19    Post subject:  

rsrcn51
I looked in 6 pages of the bugs section from the latest and going back to Sept 2015 but did not find a bug report on the topic. I don't know what the search string should be using the search.
Would you be so kind and post a link to the bug report(s). I would want to avoid wasting time and bandwidth to download/try those puppies. TIA

tahrpup-6.0.5 PAE (upgraded from 6.0 =>6.0.2=>6.0.3=>6.0.5 via quickpet/PPM=Not installed); slacko-5.7 occasionally. Frugal install, pupsave file, multi OS flashdrive, FAT32 , SYSLINUX boot, CPU-Dual E2140, 4GB RAM

rcrsn51

PostPosted: Tue 01 Aug 2017, 08:28    Post subject:  

rcrsn51 wrote:
This problem has already been reported in the original bug threads by other users and got ZERO response from the developers.

I stand corrected on this. I found a post by Phil where he identified the problem as Ubuntu's version of syslinux.

But it doesn't look like he released patched versions of the Xenial ISOs to fix it.

The recent Slackos are OK because they use the slackware version of syslinux.

@B.K.

I went here and did a search for "Failed to load ldlinux.c32".
B.K. Johnson

PostPosted: Wed 02 Aug 2017, 12:49    Post subject:  

rcrsn51 wrote:
Quote:
This problem has already been reported in the original bug threads by other users and got ZERO response from the developers.

Quote:
I stand corrected on this. I found a post by Phil where he identified the problem as Ubuntu's version of syslinux.

But it doesn't look like he released patched versions of the Xenial ISOs to fix it.

The recent Slackos are OK because they use the slackware version of syslinux.

As Phil seems to be MIA (he doesn't answer PMs either), and the slacko version works, you say, could a straight replacement of isolinux.bin in the ISO work? What's your suggestion? How do you overcome the problem?

OscarTalks provided some help to this question: How do I update the syslinux in a puppy to a new version? but I haven't got around to following up yet. Embarassed
Quote:
I went here and did a search for "Failed to load ldlinux.c32".

Thanks for the link. I am going through the posts as I write.

tahrpup-6.0.5 PAE (upgraded from 6.0 =>6.0.2=>6.0.3=>6.0.5 via quickpet/PPM=Not installed); slacko-5.7 occasionally. Frugal install, pupsave file, multi OS flashdrive, FAT32 , SYSLINUX boot, CPU-Dual E2140, 4GB RAM

rcrsn51

PostPosted: Wed 02 Aug 2017, 13:37    Post subject:  

I have a copy of xenialpup64-7084, which has the bug (7085 is fixed).

So I used PeasyDisc to remaster the ISO. I replaced all the isolinux-related stuff with the files from an older Puppy ISO.

It worked, but you don't get the original boot menu.
B.K. Johnson

PostPosted: Wed 02 Aug 2017, 17:53    Post subject:  

rsrcn51
Since there aren't any settings I need to keep, I'll just replace the isolinux files in a virgin ISO instead of remastering.

Although I haven't experienced the "Failed to load ldlinux.c32" error, I'm reading all the threads in the hope that one of them will trigger a worthwhile thought. Thanks for pur help.

gyro

PostPosted: Fri 04 Aug 2017, 07:30    Post subject:  

I managed to produce a "xenialpup-7.0.8.1-uefi-g.iso" that does boot in either uefi or non-uefi modes.
But it's 319MiB, so I'm reluctant to spend the time to upload it, unless someone really needs it.

Note: The original "xenialpup-7.0.8.1-uefi.iso" file is good as a source for installing, it just won't actually boot when burnt to a CD/DVD.

gyro
Pelo

PostPosted: Fri 04 Aug 2017, 13:17    Post subject: how-to do to get Xenial working well  

I run Precise Puppies , waiting for a final (and working) Xenial version).

XenialDog works well, but without drivers to allow you to work outside with your laptops. At home, its perfect but i can link with ethernet, no need of wireless (no children or wife using Linux)

And if our devs would not wish final release
, only alpha or beta for training purpose...

Xenial offers few improvements compared with Precise, but miss all libs MPEG needed for most of pets created for multimedia..
All pets from PPM are now Debian. So i understand that devs make efforts towards Debian, however Debian never was a leader in innovation.

Just an opinion. Please keep acting for Xenialpup. I sincerely wait for a working version.

Chili Dog

PostPosted: Wed 23 Aug 2017, 16:01    Post subject:  

Hi,

I really enjoy XenialPup. But when I boot the cd without efi, I get "Failed to load ldlinux.c32 Boot failed: press a key to retry"

How can I make cd booting work the usual way?

Thanks
foxpup

PostPosted: Wed 23 Aug 2017, 17:51    Post subject: ldlinux.32 error  

Hi Chili Dog
You find something here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy//viewtopic.php?t=107331&start=232

Another idea, along the same line: can you not set your bios to legacy boot from CD?
And a question: is it not easier to install frugally on your hdd? why a CD?
Chili Dog

PostPosted: Wed 23 Aug 2017, 21:08    Post subject:  

I went back and read a few pages worth of posts, and after seeing others having the same problem, I followed someone's suggestion and replaced isolinux.bin on the cd with the one from the latest Slacko (6.9.9.9-uefi).

That gave me a different error, so I replaced the vesamenu.c32 file with the Slacko one. And it works.
foxpup

PostPosted: Wed 23 Aug 2017, 21:34    Post subject:  

Well done and thanks for the info, Chili Dog.
watchdog

PostPosted: Tue 29 Aug 2017, 04:39    Post subject:  

gyro wrote:
I managed to produce a "xenialpup-7.0.8.1-uefi-g.iso" that does boot in either uefi or non-uefi modes.
But it's 319MiB, so I'm reluctant to spend the time to upload it, unless someone really needs it.

It would be a courtesy of you to share your iso if 666philb delays the final release. I have wasted three virgin cd's in the effort to produce your achievement.
Pelo

PostPosted: Tue 29 Aug 2017, 06:43    Post subject: i use XenialDog. Light and fast.
Subject description: 24 kernels, how do you choose ?

The main problem with xenialpup, once booted is that soon or later, it stops working.. I suppose that is due to kernels. So waiting for a final release, i use XenialDog. Light and fast. Some new apps running without having to compile anything.
Most of your new kernels will not connect Wireless (2017), making computer look as old Grand-papa telephones Twisted Evil
For final release, don't wait for the best, we wait for posting comments, perhaps users don't care about some details as splash at boot. But kernel freezing sure they won't pass through

Page 30 of 31 [465 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 28, 29, 30, 31 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: