Xenialpup CE 7.5 / 25 Nov 2017

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
belham2

#511 Post by belham2 »

666philb wrote:
belham2 wrote:
bigpup wrote:In Firefox>Preferences>General>When Firefox starts

Is Show your windows and tabs from last time selected?

I have gone to some web sites, that start downloading all kinds of other web sites.
I did nothing but go to that web site.
You are showing Yahoo.
They could be doing this :idea:

Hi Bigpup,

I've always set "Show Blank Page" in Forefox>Preferences>General>When Mozilla starts.

I am wondering it is an xorg-related problem, because other browsers never showed this behavior in Phil's (and any derivative) xenials.

But I'll be danged if Firefox57 isn't rendering many a pages with this complete smeared, out-of-focus text, forcing me to constantly reload the webpage.

Was just wondering if anyone else was seeing this mumbo-jumbo using FF Quantum and/or above.
hi belham2,

looks like an add.. are you using an adblocker? are ublock and noscript available for the new firefox yet?
if not try menu>>internet>>pup-advert-blocker

Hi Phil,

I think maybe I explained things wrong. My darn wording could have been better, that's for sure. The popups are normal, for the page your on, they're not adds. Like when on a multi-layered news site, or a multi-layered site like Yahoo, when the links from the main page are hit and up pops the "Sports" section or "News" section, or whatever, that popup nearly 50-60% of the time appears smeared like in the above pic. Yet the underlying main page is fine. And, yes, Ublock Origin is available for FF57 & up, and it is the only thing I have installed and use in terms of add-ons (only because I know the developer).

Anyhow, what's weird is Palemoon and/or Chrome don't show these problems at all, for the exact same web pages. So I am thinking it has to be an internal FF rendering problem, or maybe how the latest Quantums interact with the WM/Desktop OS in displaying pages (specifically popup links from the main page). I could try to drop back to a previous Xorg and see if that does anything.

I guess I am the only one seeing this... :cry:

666philb

Re: wifi keeps hard blocked at bootup

#512 Post by 666philb »

charlie6 wrote:Hi,

this is not a big issue ...
this was not yet encountered on earlier versions of xenialpup !

Til this 7.5 version, and once the wifi WPA key settings were been encode using Simple Network Setup, (i.e. /usr/local/apps/Connect/AppRun), the wifi hardware was automatically unblocked at bootup, and wifi connection also automatically established.

With thi 7.5 version, the wlan0 keeps blocked even after doing

Code: Select all

root# rfkill unblock all
The wifi connection can only be established manualy:
- left click on the tray network icon
- there, click on the «connecty now» icon and wait a few seconds.

Thanks for any help
Charlie
Hi Charlie
I have the same issue, but I had it with xenialpup7.0.8.5 also and have it with slacko 6.9.9.9. I have a very recent machine. Maybe that has something to do with it.

rerwin is looking at it. It may be interesting he looks into your case.
hi foxpup & charlie6,

first off could you PM me your /var/log/messages when it hasn't connected.
and take rerwin up on his offer and PM him your pmodemdialog & pup-sysinfo sys-specs base report.

also could you try the affixed .pet and see if that fixes it. the pet installs a script to /root/Startup that restarts dchpcd if connection isn't made after 30 seconds.

cheers
Attachments
connect_check.pet
(473 Bytes) Downloaded 172 times
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

666philb

#513 Post by 666philb »

belham2 wrote:
666philb wrote:
belham2 wrote:
Hi Bigpup,

I've always set "Show Blank Page" in Forefox>Preferences>General>When Mozilla starts.

I am wondering it is an xorg-related problem, because other browsers never showed this behavior in Phil's (and any derivative) xenials.

But I'll be danged if Firefox57 isn't rendering many a pages with this complete smeared, out-of-focus text, forcing me to constantly reload the webpage.

Was just wondering if anyone else was seeing this mumbo-jumbo using FF Quantum and/or above.
hi belham2,

looks like an add.. are you using an adblocker? are ublock and noscript available for the new firefox yet?
if not try menu>>internet>>pup-advert-blocker

Hi Phil,

I think maybe I explained things wrong. My darn wording could have been better, that's for sure. The popups are normal, for the page your on, they're not adds. Like when on a multi-layered news site, or a multi-layered site like Yahoo, when the links from the main page are hit and up pops the "Sports" section or "News" section, or whatever, that popup nearly 50-60% of the time appears smeared like in the above pic. Yet the underlying main page is fine. And, yes, Ublock Origin is available for FF57 & up, and it is the only thing I have installed and use in terms of add-ons (only because I know the developer).

Anyhow, what's weird is Palemoon and/or Chrome don't show these problems at all, for the exact same web pages. So I am thinking it has to be an internal FF rendering problem, or maybe how the latest Quantums interact with the WM/Desktop OS in displaying pages (specifically popup links from the main page). I could try to drop back to a previous Xorg and see if that does anything.

I guess I am the only one seeing this... :cry:
hi belham2
can you post some of the offending links
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

bigpup

#514 Post by bigpup »

Tried using a different font in Firefox?
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/ch ... bsites-use
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

charlie6

#515 Post by charlie6 »

Hi Phil,

thanks for the connect_check.pet :D

but it does not fix the wifi connect process here :( . It just do the same as the "rfkill unblock all" (wifi LED turns from red to green) - no success to connect wifi using SNS (see my PMs).

just one more thing from hardware behaviour upon boot process of my laptop (hpEliteBook 2530p): when connect_check.pet NOT yet installed !!! :
--> the wifi LED turns to red just after the "kernel drivers loaded..." comment display in the boot up process. <--

thanks for your time
HTH
Charlie

foxpup

#516 Post by foxpup »

charlie6 wrote:Hi Phil,

thanks for the connect_check.pet :D

but it does not fix the wifi connect process here :( . It just do the same as the "rfkill unblock all" (wifi LED turns from red to green) - no success to connect wifi using SNS (see my PMs).

just one more thing from hardware behaviour upon boot process of my laptop (hpEliteBook 2530p): when connect_check.pet NOT yet installed !!! :
--> the wifi LED turns to red just after the "kernel drivers loaded..." comment display in the boot up process. <--

thanks for your time
HTH
Charlie
Phil

On my machine the connect_check pet result is not good either. There is a message that the server might not support wpa2 and should be set to something else (wpa, wep). I haven't done that of course, since I know it does support wpa2. Impossible to get any connection! Not even with frisbee which worked before. I sent you some logging in PM.

Frank

Billtoo

Xenialpup CE 7.5

#517 Post by Billtoo »

I updated and setup my xenialpup-7.5 installation on my HP desktop:

root# inxi -bw
System: Host: puppypc18017 Kernel: 4.4.104-pae i686 (32 bit) Desktop: JWM 2.3.7 Distro: xenialpup 7.5
Machine: Device: desktop System: HP product: 260-p029 serial: CNV6240BWP
Mobo: HP model: 81B4 v: 01 serial: PFPSK0BWJ301LW UEFI [Legacy]: AMI v: F.04 date: 05/10/2016
CPU: Dual core Intel Core i3-6100T (-HT-MCP-) speed/max: 800/3101 MHz
Graphics: Card: Intel Sky Lake Integrated Graphics
Display Server: X.org 1.18.4 drivers: intel (unloaded: modesetting,fbdev,vesa)
tty size: 160x23 Advanced Data: N/A for root
Network: Card-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller driver: r8169
Card-2: Realtek RTL8723BE PCIe Wireless Network Adapter driver: rtl8723be
Drives: HDD Total Size: 1064.7GB (0.8% used)
Weather: Conditions: 50 F (10 C) - Overcast Time: December 5, 2:02 PM EST
Info: Processes: 185 Uptime: 6 min Memory: 145.2/3898.9MB Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.3.8
root#

It's working well.
Thanks.
Attachments
screenshot2.jpg
(112.71 KiB) Downloaded 1445 times

don570

#518 Post by don570 »

Xenial 7.5 worked well on my IBM thinkcentre desktop

One small fault I noticed .....

I set up a samba server with Samba Simple managment
and by default the share folder is /mnt/home. (see image)

This doesn't exist by default so I had to create it.

peebee

Gnumeric / goffice bug

#519 Post by peebee »

I'm reporting this here because Xenialpup-7.5 is the most prominent pup affected but this bug also affects 64-bit XenialPup64-7.5 and Slacko-6.9.9.9 both 32 & 64bit. (Does not affect Dpup-Stretch from @radky as that is using an older version of Gnumeric from Precise).

The way to see the bug is to open Gnumeric spreadsheet and put some data into a column. Select the cells containing the data then goto "Search & Replace" in the "Edit" menu.

Search for an item of data and replace by something different - choose Scope=Range. (see attached)

Click "Apply" and Gnumeric instantly crashes with an error like:
(gnumeric:19877): GLib-ERROR **: gmem.c:328: overflow allocating 4294967295*8 bytes
Trace/breakpoint trap

The bug is caused by goffice rather than Gnumeric, and can be cured by reverting the version of goffice to the Wheezy version (for 32-bit systems ***):
http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... 0.8.17.pet

32-bit Versions which exhibit the bug include:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... 7-i686.pet

http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... 6_s700.pet

[added-10-dec]
64-bit with bug:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... pril64.pet

*** Unfortunately, an equivalent fix for XenialPup64 has not been found.
Attachments
gnumeric-crash.png
(115.21 KiB) Downloaded 1155 times
Last edited by peebee on Sun 10 Dec 2017, 10:33, edited 2 times in total.
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

Sailor Enceladus

Re: Gnumeric / goffice bug

#520 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

peebee wrote:Click "Apply" and Gnumeric instantly crashes with an error like:
(gnumeric:19877): GLib-ERROR **: gmem.c:328: overflow allocating 4294967295*8 bytes
Trace/breakpoint trap
For what it's worth, I think 4294967295 is -1 if it's casted to signed int32. I wonder if searching for something with two characters instead of one would allocate 0*8 bytes (or selecting 2 columns?).

Bird Dog

Cups printing problem

#521 Post by Bird Dog »

I have Xenialpup 7.0.8.6 frugally installed to the hard drive of a P4 with 1 gb of ram.. Cups 2.1.3 is installed but when I click on any of the print links (print wizard, cups manage printing etc.) cups opens in abiword which it doesn't do in any of my other pups. Is there a way to fix this in this Xenialpup? Would anyone know if this problem is fixed in the new Xenialpup 7.5, and if it is should I just download the new Xenialpup 7.5 version.

Thanks
Bird Dog
Frugal Xenialpup 64, Bionicpup 64 save folder on core2 quad Q6600 2 gigs ram, AMD 6 core 4 gigs ram. Frugal Xenialpup 32, Bionicpup 32 save folder on P4 3.0 ghz 1 gig ram, Dell P4 Celeron 2.4 ghz 1 gig ram

artsown

#522 Post by artsown »

@ Bird Dog

Run palemoon. Delete whatever is in the url space and type localhost:631 Bookmark this as cups

You may want to simply leave it at that.

Art

bigpup

#523 Post by bigpup »

entered in error.
YaPI(any iso installer)

bigpup

Re: Cups printing problem

#524 Post by bigpup »

Bird Dog wrote:I have Xenialpup 7.0.8.6 Cups 2.1.3 is installed but when I click on any of the print links (print wizard, cups manage printing etc.) cups opens in abiword which it doesn't do in any of my other pups.
Thanks
Bird Dog
Menu>Setup>Puppy Apps Default Application Chooser

See what the HTML viewer is set at.
Set it for the browser you use.
OR
Try setting it to autodetect.

Any help?
YaPI(any iso installer)

bigpup

#525 Post by bigpup »

Xenialpup 7.5 fresh frugal install with fresh new save.

I am going to report this again, because I have seen several others reporting on this same problem.
Trying to use the Nvidia drivers in Quickpet.

I downloaded and installed the 380 driver.
It is suppose to be the one that supports my hardware. (340 will also)

After reboot driver is not working.

I noticed in startup there is no Nvidia file.
I copied one from another Puppy and rebooted.
(this may be a file Getnvidia makes)

On this boot up I got this error.
See image.

Update:
The next bootup after a complete shutdown.
Booted to screen with warning about x server was not shutdown cleanly.
Ran xorgwizard.
Selected the modeset driver and correct resolution.
Xwin
Booted to a working desktop and it was now using the Nvidia driver correctly, with everything working as it should.
What the @$&!* :shock: :roll: :twisted: :evil: :lol:

That Nvidia file I put in startup could be what caused this to now work. :idea:
Attachments
capture12788.png
(6.11 KiB) Downloaded 908 times
YaPI(any iso installer)

Bird Dog

Xenialpup CE 7.5

#526 Post by Bird Dog »

@artsown

Thanks for the reply art but I couldn't figure out how to bookmark as cups.

@bigpup

Thanks for the reply bigpup,.I was in the applications chooser but looking for cups. The HTML viewer was set to autodetct so I changed it to palemoon and it works great. Thank you and Art for your help.

Thanks
Bird Dog
Frugal Xenialpup 64, Bionicpup 64 save folder on core2 quad Q6600 2 gigs ram, AMD 6 core 4 gigs ram. Frugal Xenialpup 32, Bionicpup 32 save folder on P4 3.0 ghz 1 gig ram, Dell P4 Celeron 2.4 ghz 1 gig ram

jimcraven

Xenialpup CE 7.5

#527 Post by jimcraven »

rerwin asked me to post a request for the ath9k driver in XenialPup 7.5 (32-bit).

You can read about my problem "Unable to get wireless to work on eeePC 1005HA, Puppy 7.5" at

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=976524

I'd be happy to test a new version with the ath9k driver on my Asus eeePC 1005HA with an Atheros Atheros AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI).

Thanks,
Jim Craven

jimcraven

#528 Post by jimcraven »

As a follow up to my previous post regarding ath9k drivers, 666philb provided the solution. See the original post at
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=976787

666philb

#529 Post by 666philb »

don570 wrote:Xenial 7.5 worked well on my IBM thinkcentre desktop

One small fault I noticed .....

I set up a samba server with Samba Simple managment
and by default the share folder is /mnt/home. (see image)

This doesn't exist by default so I had to create it.

i've re-uploaded the samba .pets so it'll be fixed in future builds

666philb

#530 Post by 666philb »

bigpup wrote:Xenialpup 7.5 fresh frugal install with fresh new save.

I am going to report this again, because I have seen several others reporting on this same problem.
Trying to use the Nvidia drivers in Quickpet.

I downloaded and installed the 380 driver.
It is suppose to be the one that supports my hardware. (340 will also)

After reboot driver is not working.

I noticed in startup there is no Nvidia file.
I copied one from another Puppy and rebooted.
(this may be a file Getnvidia makes)

On this boot up I got this error.
See image.

Update:
The next bootup after a complete shutdown.
Booted to screen with warning about x server was not shutdown cleanly.
Ran xorgwizard.
Selected the modeset driver and correct resolution.
Xwin
Booted to a working desktop and it was now using the Nvidia driver correctly, with everything working as it should.
What the @$&!* :shock: :roll: :twisted: :evil: :lol:

That Nvidia file I put in startup could be what caused this to now work. :idea:
hi bigpup,

i've made some changes to the nvidia driver .pets. can you test these for me
32bit http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... 5-i386.pet
64bit http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... x86_64.pet