Xenialpup CE 7.5 / 25 Nov 2017

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
amigodetux

Solved: Installing XenialPup 32Bits Using Unetbootin

#616 Post by amigodetux »

-God news: Successful USB installing using UNetbootin. USB formated as Fat32 and flaged as boot. After this I followed your recommendation to replace within isolinux.cfg, pmedia=usbflash instead of pmedia=cd and everything worked in live mode.

Thanks to BigPup, for his assistance.

-Not so good news but new challenge: Now I am trying to create another USB in EXT4 for my use, I used for this, the Puppy Universal Installer, as in previous versions, but when finally boot the USB here go again, stop the process after load vmlinuz and initrd.gz, in case of someone know something about it :) Im all ears.

For now, I will discover an enjoy XenialPup, It looks great.

Ledster

#617 Post by Ledster »

Just treated myself to a new lappy - HP 15BS15#SA. i5 processor, 4gigs ram, 1Tb hard disk, Windoze 10.
Running xenialpup CE 7.5 very well on usb stick (Chose the 32 bit one after failing to get some of my programs to run in the 64 bit version).
First problem was the wireless chip - too new for kernel 4.4.95, so changed to the 4.9.13 kernel (downloaded from xenial 7.5 section on ibiblio). Fixed that problem.
Next tried to set up printing. Cups starts up to the opening screen, but clicking on any link (administration, adding printers and classes, ie just about any link) gives "Internal server error".
Tried "localhost:631" - no change. Tried reinstalling cups 2.1.3 from ppm over the built in cups 2.1.3 - again no joy.
At the moment it seems I can have printing and no wireless on the 4.4.95 kernel or wireless and no printing on 4.9.13 kernel.

Any ideas on how to fix this? I'm in well over my pay grade!

bigpup

#618 Post by bigpup »

What is the printer?
Make and model?
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

april

#619 Post by april »

Ledster go into Default apps chooser and change htmlbrowser to the one you are using . This fixed my problem but I could also do it with localhost so maybe maybe not.
That should be
http://localhost:631/

jamespoo

#620 Post by jamespoo »

so i have been give an old dell mini 910 had no os on it so wanted to install Xenialpup 7.5 CE to the 8gb ssd

i put it on a flash stick booted it up and everything works great as it loaded drivers for wifi sound and Intel video so i formatted the the 8gb ssd ect in GParted ready to install it i have the iso on another usb so i plugged it in and mounted it and did the setup one done i shut down the pc and took the usb out and after the dell logo went away it just booted to a black screen with a blinking white line in the top left side

so i tried installing it again with a boot loader and when i select it on the list i still got the same thing

what could be causing this as this is a really good os and runs really well on this netbook but don't want to have to have the usb plugged in all the time to use it

or is there another popular os that is still getting updates and has lots of support i should use on this netbook ? i heard you can run mac os but i think i need to have the 16gb ssd model

Ledster

#621 Post by Ledster »

Sorry I've been a bit slow coming back on this - been doing some experimenting.
Briefly:-
1st
started xenial without the save file. Tried cups - no problems.
2nd
added devx. Tried cups - no problems.
3rd
I have and like a program called Pysol which needs python-tk for which I have pet, so installed that. Tried cups - FAILED!
4th
Started again with 1st as above
5th
as 2nd above
6th
installed python-tk-2.7.11.2 and its deps from ppm. Cups still OK! and Pysol is good.

Looks like it could be a python version problem. The pet works fine in Tahrpup - all versions.

So problem solved - my fault all the time!

@bigpup
probably not relevant, but the printer is a Canon Pixma MG7550.

Thanks to everyone for the ideas

Ledster

bigpup

#622 Post by bigpup »

jamespoo wrote:Xenialpup 7.5 CE to the 8gb ssd

i put it on a flash stick booted it up. so i formatted the the 8gb ssd ect in GParted.
Formatted it to what format?
Is it only one partition?
If yes.
Did you flag the partition boot?

How did you do the install?
Did you use the Puppy Universal Installer?
Did you do a frugal or full install?

Strongly suggest do a frugal!!
so i tried installing it again with a boot loader and when i select it on the list i still got the same thing.
What boot loader did you install?
How did you do the install?

Strongly recommend using Grub4dos Bootloader config running from the booted USB to install a boot loader.
Select the SDD as the device to install to.
Check search only within this device.
All other default choices are good. Nothing else but:
OK.
OK.
OK.
done.
YaPI(any iso installer)

april

#623 Post by april »

it just booted to a black screen with a blinking white line in the top left side
Not finding your drive

hamoudoudou

Xenialpup CE 7.5 / 25 Nov 2017 miss wireless,

#624 Post by hamoudoudou »

Xenialpup CE 7.5 / 25 Nov 2017 miss wireless, regarding several complaints from people. Firmware easy to install. Why remove wireless to add bluetooth ? One is everyday usage, the other cutting edge
Perhaps Xenialpup is a Puppy indoor, for testing new technologies, much more advanced than Wi-Fi, in our Labradories in USa or Canada...
Laboratories ! If that is true, please confirm, Artfulpup will be a replacement for people needing only to use their laptop for what they bought it.

First SOS, denied ?
Attachments
wireless.jpg
Video S-kami you Tube
(27.18 KiB) Downloaded 1217 times

hamoudoudou

firmware xenialpup 26mb Artfulpup 56mb

#625 Post by hamoudoudou »

firmware xenialpup 26mb Artfulpup 56mb
My iwlwifi drivers were removed by ?
I you want to remove libs, remove those that are unused. Useless; as 3D :evil:
Better, keep xenialpup as you like, we will use Puppy strecth or Xenialdog; and let you quiet, building your Xenialpup for Linux students.

I play Puppy with ethernet in winter, i don't really need wireless. But nowadays an OS witout wireless is simply to trash, excepted for an hundred linux guys who only practice programming as hobby, in a closet.
For logical , remove ethernet is the clever choice, regarding Mbs and functionalities, laptops are a lot more popular than fixed computers (for office tasks mainly societies). Even for industrial usage, laptops are preferred, then data are downloaded in the central system end of day. same for business men. Music player ? at home you have you equipment better quality than from your computer. Jukeboxes are for listening music when traveling, mainly.
Attachments
drivers.png
If you remove ethernet, you can use wireless indoor and outdoor. If you remove wireless, your puppy will connect only indoor.
(34.6 KiB) Downloaded 1168 times
Last edited by hamoudoudou on Tue 06 Feb 2018, 12:34, edited 6 times in total.

watchdog

#626 Post by watchdog »

You can use artfulpup's fdrv.sfs in xenialpup: just rename it...

hamoudoudou

Remove wireless, what an idea !

#627 Post by hamoudoudou »

Renaming zdrive is not enough, kernels are different. Who could think all of 200.000 downloaders can do that ? Do you imagine they are all linux geeks ? half of them are testing Puppy first time and come form windows. They are not windowsians, there are common people having never programmed anything. They will give up. Sure they are millions.
Remove wireless, what an idea ! A laptop then looks like an electric car that you must keep plugged. Sure tires will have a long life. And you can sell your laptop battery.

Musher0 is learning how to create Puppies; His version xenialpup includes wireless and connect to both wlan0 wlan1 (antenna). his zdrive is 31mb sized, that is not a lot if you consider that thousands of downloaders will be able to use their laptops without having to keep stuck to the wall socket to surf the web.
Attachments
iwlwifi.jpg
i need these ones (very common, were included before)
(46 KiB) Downloaded 1228 times

bigpup

#628 Post by bigpup »

hamoudoudou,

Xenialpup 7.5 the 32bit version got released with some of the WIFI drivers missing.
This was by mistake.
However, it was not a lot of them. Only a small number of ones for a specific wifi hardware.
This will added them:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pu ... nial32.pet

You have not stated what your wifi hardware specifically is.

So, what specifically is it?????
YaPI(any iso installer)

rustypup

#629 Post by rustypup »

Hello - first of all, well done to whoever is behind Xenialpup 7.5, it's really great - I love it.

I have found one strange thing though - the pmcputemp thing in the system tray looks to be reading the wrong sensor, possibly my graphics card. PSI shows one of the sensors for cpu with "radeon" label next to it?! Not too bothered but still interested to know what's going on with it. (See screenshot).

Otherwise all good. Got my Focusrite Saffire 6 USB 2.0 audio interface running well - audio and MIDI ins and outs both working in Renoise via Jack. I did have to find the .deb for an older version of qjackctl though as the one from the repositories would freeze everything except the mouse pointer.

Also, RedshiftGUI works - it wouldn't work on this PC under Tahr64.

System specs:
CPU - AMD FX-6300
MOBO - ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0
GPU - XFX Radeon HD7770
RAM - 8GB 1866mhz
Attachments
xenialpuppmcputemp.jpg
(217.71 KiB) Downloaded 230 times

snayak

#630 Post by snayak »

Dear All,

I tried to install xenial 32 7.5 on my AMD Athlon XP 2000+ machine which is with 512MB RAM. It failed to boot. It hangs at "Recognising media devices... optical input". It is not being "done". Nothing happens after this!

I am using precise 571 on my machine now.
My hope was to able to use newer browsers and other softwares.
Is there a way out with xenial? Any other successor to precise?

Sincerely,
Srinivas Nayak
[Precise 571 on AMD Athlon XP 2000+ with 512MB RAM]
[Fatdog 720 on Intel Pentium B960 with 4GB RAM]

[url]http://srinivas-nayak.blogspot.com/[/url]

mikeslr

#631 Post by mikeslr »

snayak wrote:Dear All,

I tried to install xenial 32 7.5 on my AMD Athlon XP 2000+ machine which is with 512MB RAM. It failed to boot. It hangs at "Recognising media devices... optical input". It is not being "done". Nothing happens after this!

I am using precise 571 on my machine now.
My hope was to able to use newer browsers and other softwares.
Is there a way out with xenial? Any other successor to precise?

Sincerely,
Srinivas Nayak
The AMD Athlon XP 2000+ can access (at least) 1 Gb RAM. Recommend a RAM upgrade whatever else you do. http://www.pc-specs.com/cpu/AMD/Athlon_ ... atible_RAM

Add 2 Gbs of Swap. --Won't help xenial to boot, but will help once you get anything to desktop.

Tahrpup was created after Precise and before Xenialpup. I think the recommended minimum RAM is 768, but you can download and test for free.

Any of the Slackos up thru 6.3, but especially 5.7 and X-Slacko 4.4: See for example, http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 213#727213

Palemoon web-browser by Watchdog, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 676#973676

And try some of the older DebianDogs, for example Mintpup which accesses the Trusty Tahr repos. See this thread: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 904#881904

mikesLr

bigpup

#632 Post by bigpup »

snayak wrote:I tried to install xenial 32 7.5 on my AMD Athlon XP 2000+ machine which is with 512MB RAM. It failed to boot. It hangs at "Recognising media devices... optical input". It is not being "done". Nothing happens after this!
You are trying to boot from what storage device?????
Installed xenialpup how to this device?????
Sure you got a good download of the xenialpup iso?

Usually trying a fresh new download of the iso and a fresh new install on the storage device can maybe fix this issue.
YaPI(any iso installer)

sindi

Recognizing media device..optical input

#633 Post by sindi »

In 2012 someone in Germany found the solution and posted it under 'Recognizing media devices .... optical input
failed'. They removed the script that checks for optical media. Something to do with country setting - it is buggy.
The optical drive still worked.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=77788

OscarTalks

#634 Post by OscarTalks »

I compiled VLC 2.2.8 from source in Xenial Puppy 7.5 (32bit)
Seems to be working well with no errors in my brief tests.
Users may wish to take the usual precautions and give it a test.
Lua has been added but apart from that it is just built against all the native packages.
For more details read here:-
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=112798
Package is uploaded here:-
https://yadi.sk/d/nxx9TP2i3HcXB5?force_show=1
Attachments
vlc228xenial2.jpg
VLC 2.2.8 compiled and running in Xenial 7.5 (32bit)
(50.05 KiB) Downloaded 1449 times
Oscar in England

paulh177

Xenial: upgrade from Precise 5.6.1 savefile - X won't start

#635 Post by paulh177 »

I grabbed xenialpup-7.5-uefi.iso (32bit) from NLUUG today, and installed it on my old AOA150 (Atom powered 1GB) as a FRUGAL install.

A clean install , creating a new xenialpupsave on first shutdown, seems to work fine, if a touch sluggish.

I've been running PRECISE 5,6,1 successfully on this machine for years and have tweaked it + added/upgraded packages a great deal, so obviously my desire is to retain that savefile (4GB 3fs) and simply have Xenial upgrade the savefile and carry on where I left off.

I had to rename the precisesave to xenialpupsave for xenial to recognise it.

PROBLEM:

Upgrade appears to go thru OK until Xenial tries to start X, whereupon (after "Patch mode 38 to resolution 1024x600 is complete" is displayed), the next error message (repeated twice) is:

"VESA BIOS extensions not detected"

and we are dropped back to the console with the usual informational/error message about running xwin (which just forces the same errors) and running xorgwizard (which doesn't run, appearing to be waiting for input)

I remember having similar problems years ago when the first Ubuntu pups were in beta, but I can't remember how it was resolved.