Xenialpup CE 7.5 / 25 Nov 2017

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
mikeslr

#631 Post by mikeslr »

snayak wrote:Dear All,

I tried to install xenial 32 7.5 on my AMD Athlon XP 2000+ machine which is with 512MB RAM. It failed to boot. It hangs at "Recognising media devices... optical input". It is not being "done". Nothing happens after this!

I am using precise 571 on my machine now.
My hope was to able to use newer browsers and other softwares.
Is there a way out with xenial? Any other successor to precise?

Sincerely,
Srinivas Nayak
The AMD Athlon XP 2000+ can access (at least) 1 Gb RAM. Recommend a RAM upgrade whatever else you do. http://www.pc-specs.com/cpu/AMD/Athlon_ ... atible_RAM

Add 2 Gbs of Swap. --Won't help xenial to boot, but will help once you get anything to desktop.

Tahrpup was created after Precise and before Xenialpup. I think the recommended minimum RAM is 768, but you can download and test for free.

Any of the Slackos up thru 6.3, but especially 5.7 and X-Slacko 4.4: See for example, http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 213#727213

Palemoon web-browser by Watchdog, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 676#973676

And try some of the older DebianDogs, for example Mintpup which accesses the Trusty Tahr repos. See this thread: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 904#881904

mikesLr

bigpup

#632 Post by bigpup »

snayak wrote:I tried to install xenial 32 7.5 on my AMD Athlon XP 2000+ machine which is with 512MB RAM. It failed to boot. It hangs at "Recognising media devices... optical input". It is not being "done". Nothing happens after this!
You are trying to boot from what storage device?????
Installed xenialpup how to this device?????
Sure you got a good download of the xenialpup iso?

Usually trying a fresh new download of the iso and a fresh new install on the storage device can maybe fix this issue.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

sindi

Recognizing media device..optical input

#633 Post by sindi »

In 2012 someone in Germany found the solution and posted it under 'Recognizing media devices .... optical input
failed'. They removed the script that checks for optical media. Something to do with country setting - it is buggy.
The optical drive still worked.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=77788

OscarTalks

#634 Post by OscarTalks »

I compiled VLC 2.2.8 from source in Xenial Puppy 7.5 (32bit)
Seems to be working well with no errors in my brief tests.
Users may wish to take the usual precautions and give it a test.
Lua has been added but apart from that it is just built against all the native packages.
For more details read here:-
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=112798
Package is uploaded here:-
https://yadi.sk/d/nxx9TP2i3HcXB5?force_show=1
Attachments
vlc228xenial2.jpg
VLC 2.2.8 compiled and running in Xenial 7.5 (32bit)
(50.05 KiB) Downloaded 1449 times
Oscar in England

paulh177

Xenial: upgrade from Precise 5.6.1 savefile - X won't start

#635 Post by paulh177 »

I grabbed xenialpup-7.5-uefi.iso (32bit) from NLUUG today, and installed it on my old AOA150 (Atom powered 1GB) as a FRUGAL install.

A clean install , creating a new xenialpupsave on first shutdown, seems to work fine, if a touch sluggish.

I've been running PRECISE 5,6,1 successfully on this machine for years and have tweaked it + added/upgraded packages a great deal, so obviously my desire is to retain that savefile (4GB 3fs) and simply have Xenial upgrade the savefile and carry on where I left off.

I had to rename the precisesave to xenialpupsave for xenial to recognise it.

PROBLEM:

Upgrade appears to go thru OK until Xenial tries to start X, whereupon (after "Patch mode 38 to resolution 1024x600 is complete" is displayed), the next error message (repeated twice) is:

"VESA BIOS extensions not detected"

and we are dropped back to the console with the usual informational/error message about running xwin (which just forces the same errors) and running xorgwizard (which doesn't run, appearing to be waiting for input)

I remember having similar problems years ago when the first Ubuntu pups were in beta, but I can't remember how it was resolved.

paulh177

#636 Post by paulh177 »

Ok ... xerrs.log from the above situation:

Code: Select all

X.Org X Server 1.18.4
Release Date: 2016-07-19
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: Linux 4.4.0-97-generic i686 Ubuntu
Current Operating System: Linux 172017 4.4.95 #1 SMP Mon Nov 13 17:15:42 GMT 2017 i686
Kernel command line: PDEV=sda1 psubdir=xenial nosmp acpi=force pfix=noram
Build Date: 13 October 2017  01:57:05PM
xorg-server 2:1.18.4-0ubuntu0.7 (For technical support please see http://www.ubuntu.com/support) 
Current version of pixman: 0.33.6
	Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
	to make sure that you have the latest version.
Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
	(++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
	(WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Sat Feb 24 21:58:47 2018
(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
(==) Using config directory: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d"
(==) Using system config directory "/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d"
(EE) module ABI major version (11) doesn't match the server's version (20)
The XKEYBOARD keymap compiler (xkbcomp) reports:
> Warning:          Type "ONE_LEVEL" has 1 levels, but <RALT> has 2 symbols
>                   Ignoring extra symbols
Errors from xkbcomp are not fatal to the X server
Warning: Only changing the first 5 of 12 buttons.
/usr/local/apps/ROX-Filer/ROX-Filer: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: version `CXXABI_1.3.8' not found (required by /usr/lib/libicuuc.so.55)
/usr/bin/jwm
jwm: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: version `CXXABI_1.3.8' not found (required by /usr/lib/libicuuc.so.55)
/usr/bin/xinit: connection to X server lost

waiting for X server to shut down (II) Server terminated successfully (0). Closing log file.
I noted the libstdc++ error and had a poke about in /usr/lib

libstdc++.so.6 was linked to libstdc++.so.6.0.16 but there was also a libstdc++.so.6.0.21 which wasn't linked to anything.

I unlinked so.6.0.16 and linked so.6.0.21 to libstdc++.so.6 instead.

Lo and behold, X started.

Unfortunately, my desktop looked like the attached screenshot, and xerrs.log looks like this (after I ctrl-alt-bkspc'd out)

X.Org X Server 1.18.4
Release Date: 2016-07-19
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: Linux 4.4.0-97-generic i686 Ubuntu
Current Operating System: Linux 172017 4.4.95 #1 SMP Mon Nov 13 17:15:42 GMT 2017 i686
Kernel command line: PDEV=sda1 psubdir=xenial nosmp acpi=force pfix=noram
Build Date: 13 October 2017  01:57:05PM
xorg-server 2:1.18.4-0ubuntu0.7 (For technical support please see http://www.ubuntu.com/support) 
Current version of pixman: 0.33.6
	Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
	to make sure that you have the latest version.
Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
	(++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
	(WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Sat Feb 24 22:15:08 2018
(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
(==) Using config directory: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d"
(==) Using system config directory "/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d"
Warning: Only changing the first 5 of 12 buttons.

** (ROX-Filer:13634): WARNING **: Couldn't recognize the image file format for file '/usr/local/apps/ROX-Filer/images/rox-show-details.png'
** (ROX-Filer:13634): WARNING **: Couldn't recognize the image file format for file '/usr/local/apps/ROX-Filer/images/rox-show-hidden.png'
** (ROX-Filer:13634): WARNING **: Couldn't recognize the image file format for file '/usr/local/apps/ROX-Filer/images/rox-select.png'
** (ROX-Filer:13634): WARNING **: Couldn't recognize the image file format for file '/usr/local/apps/ROX-Filer/images/rox-mount.png'
** (ROX-Filer:13634): WARNING **: Couldn't recognize the image file format for file '/usr/local/apps/ROX-Filer/images/rox-mounted.png'
** (ROX-Filer:13634): WARNING **: Couldn't recognize the image file format for file '/usr/local/apps/ROX-Filer/images/rox-symlink.png'
** (ROX-Filer:13634): WARNING **: Couldn't recognize the image file format for file '/usr/local/apps/ROX-Filer/images/rox-xattr.png'
/usr/bin/jwm
JWM: warning: /root/.jwm/jwmrc-theme[8]: invalid tag in Active: Text
JWM: warning: /root/.jwm/jwmrc-theme[9]: invalid tag in Active: Title
JWM: warning: /root/.jwm/jwmrc-theme[12]: invalid tag in WindowStyle: Inactive
JWM: warning: /root/.jwm/jwmrc-theme[21]: invalid tag in TaskListStyle: ActiveForeground
JWM: warning: /root/.jwm/jwmrc-theme[22]: invalid tag in TaskListStyle: ActiveBackground
JWM: warning: /root/.jwm/jwmrc-theme[40]: invalid tag in PagerStyle: ActiveForeground
JWM: warning: /root/.jwm/jwmrc-theme[41]: invalid tag in PagerStyle: ActiveBackground
JWM: warning: /root/.jwm/jwmrc-theme[55]: invalid tag in MenuStyle: ActiveForeground
JWM: warning: /root/.jwm/jwmrc-theme[56]: invalid tag in MenuStyle: ActiveBackground

** (ROX-Filer:13634): WARNING **: Couldn't recognize the image file format for file '/usr/local/apps/ROX-Filer/images/dirs.png'
** (ROX-Filer:13634): WARNING **: Couldn't recognize the image file format for file '/usr/local/apps/ROX-Filer/images/application.png'
** (ROX-Filer:13634): WARNING **: Couldn't recognize the image file format for file '/usr/local/apps/ROX-Filer/.DirIcon'

acpi daemon stopped.

** (ROX-Filer:13634): WARNING **: Couldn't recognize the image file format for file '/usr/share/icons/quickpet.png'

/usr/sbin/delayedrun: line 199: /root/Startup/autostart: is a directory

** (ROX-Filer:13634): WARNING **: Couldn't recognize the image file format for file '/root/.icons/ROX/MIME/application-x-generic.png'
** (ROX-Filer:13634): WARNING **: Couldn't recognize the image file format for file '/usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps/multimedia48.png'
** (ROX-Filer:13634): WARNING **: Couldn't recognize the image file format for file '/root/.icons/ROX/MIME/application-x-shellscript.png'
** (ROX-Filer:13634): WARNING **: Couldn't recognize the image file format for file '/usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps/pet48.png'
** (ROX-Filer:13634): WARNING **: Couldn't recognize the image file format for file '/usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps/email48.png'
** (ROX-Filer:13634): WARNING **: Couldn't recognize the image file format for file '/usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps/spread48.png'
** (ROX-Filer:13634): WARNING **: Couldn't recognize the image file format for file '/usr/local/apps/Connect/.DirIcon'
** (ROX-Filer:13634): WARNING **: Couldn't recognize the image file format for file '/usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps/date48.png'
** (ROX-Filer:13634): WARNING **: Couldn't recognize the image file format for file '/usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps/help48.png'
** (ROX-Filer:13634): WARNING **: Couldn't recognize the image file format for file '/usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps/drive48.png'
** (ROX-Filer:13634): WARNING **: Couldn't recognize the image file format for file '/usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps/www48.png'
** (ROX-Filer:13634): WARNING **: Couldn't recognize the image file format for file '/usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps/word48.png'
** (ROX-Filer:13634): WARNING **: Couldn't recognize the image file format for file '/usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps/edit48.png'
** (ROX-Filer:13634): WARNING **: Couldn't recognize the image file format for file '/usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps/draw48.png'
** (ROX-Filer:13634): WARNING **: Couldn't recognize the image file format for file '/usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps/configuration48.png'
** (ROX-Filer:13634): WARNING **: Couldn't recognize the image file format for file '/usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps/chat48.png'
** (ROX-Filer:13634): WARNING **: Couldn't recognize the image file format for file '/usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps/paint48.png'
** (ROX-Filer:13634): WARNING **: Couldn't recognize the image file format for file '/usr/local/apps/Xlock/.DirIcon'
** (ROX-Filer:13634): WARNING **: Couldn't recognize the image file format for file '/usr/local/apps/Trash/.DirIcon'

/usr/local/apps/Trash/AppInfo.xml:1: parser error : Start tag expected, '<' not found
¼ÛÛEšKºÆ¹ÖÕ	¢dlŸ ½Æé·~ûM‡©ZÛÙ¶C?Ò¸·ž}b™2
^

** (ROX-Filer:13634): WARNING **: Couldn't recognize the image file format for file '/usr/local/apps/PupZip/.DirIcon'

/usr/sbin/delayedrun: line 199: /root/Startup/disabled: is a directory
acpi daemon started.
/sbin/pup_event_frontend_d: .: line 101: can't open '/etc/rc.d/functions4puppy4'
killall: pmcputemp: no process killed
vm.swappiness = 10
-> Red  1.000, Green  1.000, Blue  1.000
<- Red  0.900, Green  0.900, Blue  0.900
XIO:  fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server ":0"
      after 44 requests (44 known processed) with 0 events remaining.
ROX-Filer: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.
retrovol: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.
clipit: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.
firewallstatus: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.
      after 79 requests (79 known processed) with 0 events remaining.
      after 8284 requests (8284 known processed) with 5 events remaining.
ROX-Filer: Fatal IO error 0 (Success) on X server :0.
/usr/bin/xinit: connection to X server lost

waiting for X server to shut down (II) Server terminated successfully (0). Closing log file.

(ROX-Filer:13789): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: :0
(ROX-Filer:13793): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: :0

Attachments
capture13278.png
(39.2 KiB) Downloaded 154 times

paulh177

#637 Post by paulh177 »

I've received a PM from a forum member offering the suggestion that one should not attempt to upgrade even though it is possible to do so.

I disagree, for the reason I bothered to add to the thread in the first place:

I think a series of software releases should allow users to upgrade between releases in a smooth and manageable manner, and indeed Puppy (which I have been using since v2.11, possibly a bit earlier) had always offered a savefile upgrade automatically (without the faff of having to rename a file too).

If it's decided that each release should stand alone and reject the idea of a simple upgrade path between version, then that needs to be explicitly stated by the Community Developers.

There's a debate to be had here, but it's for the Community to have it publicly.

mikeslr

#638 Post by mikeslr »

Hi All,

Basically what I told paulh177 was "That something could be done doesn't mean it should be done" and "it is far easier to get new versions of applications, created to run under Xenialpup, running under Xenialpup than to try to get older versions of applications created for Precise to run under Xenialpup.

Linux is all about having choices. Call me lazy. I prefer "easy". It is possible to drop a 2017 Ford Engine into a 2002 Ford, and then spend hours making all necessary adjustments to get the two to work together. But the final result isn't likely to work either as well as a 2002 Ford or a 2017 Ford. And my time is valuable --even if I spend it on leisure activities. I might feel otherwise if, as part of my leisure activities, I enjoyed building hot-rods.

Looking at paulh177's initial log revealed several mismatches in 'core' applications -- the foundation of any system. Having solved one (perhaps all) of them he's now confronted by problems in the next level of systems built on top of that core. I don't doubt that those problems can also be overcome. Ultimately, however, the purpose of a computer operating system is to run applications. I have serious doubts whether applications created for Precise will run either as well under Xenialpup as they did under Precise or as well as applications which were created to run under Xenialpup.

But as I've discovered sometimes older applications built when fewer computing resources were the norm run better than either alternative: less demanding than the newer versions but operating in an environment better than the old.

People do build hot-rods. Well, they used to and enjoyed doing so. paulh177 has proposed an interesting area for exploration. I have every reason to believe that he has a far greater understanding of 'the nuts and bolts' than I. So I would encourage anyone who shares a similar interest to help him. It's not a challenge I would find "easy".

Full Disclosure: As paulh177's computer ran well under Precise, I suggested alternative Puppies which might run better on an older computer. Same reason: What's the easy way to obtain a system which matches well the hardware you have.

mikesLr

Moat

#639 Post by Moat »

The problem is - and always has been - that Linux is a constantly moving, evolving target.

From what I've always understood, upgrading point releases within a given base OS (i.e. - Precise 5.6.1 to Precise 5.7.1) is generally safe. But upgrading from one base to another (i.e. - Precise to Trusty Tahr, for example) is not a good idea, and will likely be fraught with issues. A big jump, as in this case, all of the way from Precise to Xenial... even more so.

From what (little!) I understand, the base operating system's libraries upon which a particular release is built are constantly being further developed/updated by devs all over the world - but often with no regard to supporting the function/compatibility of applications which ran fine on older libs - say from an earlier release (i.e. - regressions). With Ubuntu releases, for instance, each "family"/name (i.e. - Precise, Tahr, Artful, Xenial, etc) are likely each based on many quite different versions of underlying libraries - and in order for applications to work properly, they have to be individually modified/re-built/re-compiled against the libraries of the particular release "family" they're aimed at.

That's why an application pulled from Precise's repository quite likely won't run properly on Tahr, or Vivid, or Xenial, or Bionic, or... (and vice-versa) - not to mention the possibility that installing old applications could pull in old/obsolete libs (as dependencies) that conflict with the native, built-in libs of the newer-base OS - breaking other areas/functions of the system (I believe that's why Snaps/Flatpacks/Appimages/etc. are gaining popularity, as they contain all of their own lib versions, using them independently of the base OS's libraries - but they're therefore huge in comparison - by not utilizing those already-in-place components).

The repositories of each release family are not simply copied/pasted from the former release's repo into the new - each application has to be installed and tested in the new release... if any issues surface, they are identified and modified/re-built/re-compiled until they work properly - and only then added to the new release's repository. I think that's how it's done, anyway... lots of testing and fixing!!

Bottom line - just as mikeslr eludes to... it's quite likely many/most older apps (Precise) won't work in Xenial without a lot of work/tail-chasing... even if at all. The Xenial repos and our wonderful forum member's Xenial-specific app builds are the way to go, if the update to Xenial is worth it to you, Paul - or necessary. Unfortunate, but... :?

At least that's how I understand things... but I'm no Linux guru, either! All just AFAIK, IMHO, YMMV, etc... :)

Bob

bigpup

#640 Post by bigpup »

I've been running PRECISE 5,6,1 successfully on this machine for years and have tweaked it + added/upgraded packages a great deal, so obviously my desire is to retain that savefile (4GB 3fs) and simply have Xenial upgrade the savefile and carry on where I left off.

I had to rename the precisesave to xenialpupsave for xenial to recognise it.
I am sorry you have probably broken your save file.

At no time is it recommended to use a save from one named version or Puppy with a different named version of Puppy.

I repeat, AT NO TIME!!!!!!

Saves are always specific to the named Puppy version they were originally made for.

There is also no way to make a program, compiled to work in a specific named Puppy version, so it will work in every possible version of Puppy.
Some programs will work OK in many different Puppies. Some are very much Puppy version specific.
There is not set way of making a program work on everything.

That is why each named Puppy version has it's own specific repository of programs and pet packages.

If you have any saved data (pictures, forms, videos, etc...) in the save you want to keep. That data is probably OK.
Copy it from the save to a safe place.

You need to delete the save and start over with a fresh one made for Xenialpup.

There is a chance the save will still work with Precise if you name it back to what it was for Precise.
YaPI(any iso installer)

paulh177

#641 Post by paulh177 »

At no time is it recommended to use a save from one named version or Puppy with a different named version of Puppy.

This is simply false, as BK would attest.

At the very least, the /root directory should be able to be preserved - my current ~/.config is c.170MB, and starting fresh to reconfigure every application from scratch is not trivial, even if it's not straightforward to upgrade/preserve installed application binaries (which are the least of the problem); furthermore, soft links build up over the years and these should also be preserved.

However, it doesn't look as though I'm going to get much help here except for being told "you're wrong". So I'll get on with it all myself.

the diversity, imagination, inclusiveness and tolerance for people finding new ways to do old things in the puppy community was always one of it's strengths.

oh well.

good luck chaps. You'd all do well on Twitter mansplaining feminism to women
Last edited by paulh177 on Sun 25 Feb 2018, 11:51, edited 1 time in total.

paulh177

Python in new Puppy distributions

#642 Post by paulh177 »

Oh and btw,

Python 2.7 is at end-of-life in June 2020.

Any new Pups really ought to be built with (at least) Python 3.5 from now on.

Obviously there's a case for including 2.7 as well for legacy apps, but then of course you run into space issues when trying keep the overall size of the Pup down.

Just some extra food for thought.

Sailor Enceladus

#643 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

paulh177 wrote:

This is simply false, as BK would attest.

At the very least, the /root directory should be able to be preserved - my current ~/.config is c.170MB, and starting fresh to reconfigure every application from scratch is not trivial, even if it's not straightforward to upgrade/preserve installed application binaries (which are the least of the problem); furthermore, soft links build up over the years and these should also be preserved.

However, it doesn't look as though I'm going to get much help here except for being told "you're wrong". So I'll get on with it all myself.

the diversity, imagination, inclusiveness and tolerance for people finding new ways to do old things in the puppy community was always one of it's strengths.

oh well.

good luck chaps. You'd all do well on Twitter mansplaining feminism to women
@paulh177: Moat, mikeslr, and bigpup already went into great detail explaining why using the savefile from Precise 5.6 in Xenialpup 7.5 is a bad idea, but you don't seem to have even read their points before replying. I think even your /root comment is not good as many settings and applications will change as time goes by. Just start fresh and save yourself the headaches, no one will want to support your "frankenstein" puppy when you run into problems and you're just wasting their time when they could be helping with a geniune problem in xenialpup 7.5 instead.

bigpup

#644 Post by bigpup »

paulh177 wrote:This is simply false, as BK would attest.

Well, when you get it all figured out how to do it and end up with a good working save.

Post a How To and provide the info.

Understand that Barry K is not working on Puppy anymore.
Things have changed and are changing with each new version of Puppy.
YaPI(any iso installer)

april

#645 Post by april »

Moat wrote:A big jump, as in this case, all of the way from Precise to Xenial... even more so.
Nah having yourself on . Piece of cake and I wholeheartedly recommend it.

DuMar

Thank you all

#646 Post by DuMar »

After 2 weeks adjusting and testing I switched toady from my much belovered Tahrpup to the new Xenialpup. Thanx @666philb for the developement and also thanx for all the people that helped him to make this all work.

I run Xenial from a USB stick an my 2007 Medion laptop and it runs fine just like Tahr did for some 4 years? I swiched from Claws to Sypheed because it' s in dutch. I had a pet for my mx370 Canon printer so hat went fine. I have Libre Office 6.0 as SFS.

I noticed one thing. When starting up Xenial it boots the Zdrv file too. My old tharpup didn' t. What is the difference?

augras

#647 Post by augras »

Hi,
Firefox57 from the quickpet works fine. But today I didn't take care and firefox have been update to 59.0.1 and no more sound on youtube and video in general.
I install again Firefox57 in a new folder and it's ok.
How to make work the 59 one ?
The problem is with apulse.
In the terminal :

root# apulse /opt/firefox2/firefox

(firefox:3641): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: gtk-widgets.css:716:13: Not using units is deprecated. Assuming 'px'.

(/opt/firefox2/firefox:3832): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: gtk-widgets.css:716:13: Not using units is deprecated. Assuming 'px'.

(/opt/firefox2/firefox:3936): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: gtk-widgets.css:716:13: Not using units is deprecated. Assuming 'px'.
[Parent 3641, Gecko_IOThread] WARNING: pipe error (95): Connection reset by peer: file /builds/worker/workspace/build/src/ipc/chromium/src/chrome/common/ipc_channel_posix.cc, line 353

(/opt/firefox2/firefox:4233): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: gtk-widgets.css:716:13: Not using units is deprecated. Assuming 'px'.
ALSA lib confmisc.c:768:(parse_card) cannot find card '0'
ALSA lib conf.c:4292:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_card_driver returned error: Permission denied
ALSA lib confmisc.c:392:(snd_func_concat) error evaluating strings
ALSA lib conf.c:4292:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_concat returned error: Permission denied
ALSA lib confmisc.c:1251:(snd_func_refer) error evaluating name
ALSA lib conf.c:4292:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_refer returned error: Permission denied
ALSA lib conf.c:4771:(snd_config_expand) Evaluate error: Permission denied
ALSA lib pcm.c:2266:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM default
[apulse] [error] do_connect_pcm: can't open playback device "default". Error code -13 (Permission denied)
[apulse] [error] do_connect_pcm: can't open playback device "default". Error code -13 (Permission denied)
[apulse] [error] do_connect_pcm: failed to open ALSA device. Apulse does no resampling or format conversion, leaving that task to ALSA plugins. Ensure that selected device is capable of playing a particular sample format at a particular rate. They have to be supported by either hardware directly, or by "plug" and "dmix" ALSA plugins which will perform required conversions on CPU.
[apulse] [error] do_connect_pcm: failed to open ALSA device. Apulse does no resampling or format conversion, leaving that task to ALSA plugins. Ensure that selected device is capable of playing a particular sample format at a particular rate. They have to be supported by either hardware directly, or by "plug" and "dmix" ALSA plugins which will perform required conversions on CPU.
[apulse] [error] do_connect_pcm: additionally, the error code is -13, which means access was denied. That looks like access restriction in a sandbox. If the app you are running uses sandboxing techniques, make sure /dev/snd/ directory is added into the allowed list. Both reading and writing access to the files in that directory are required.
[apulse] [error] do_connect_pcm: additionally, the error code is -13, which means access was denied. That looks like access restriction in a sandbox. If the app you are running uses sandboxing techniques, make sure /dev/snd/ directory is added into the allowed list. Both reading and writing access to the files in that directory are required.
[Child 4233, MediaPlayback #3] WARNING: 9dec3820 OpenCubeb() failed to init cubeb: file /builds/worker/workspace/build/src/dom/media/AudioStream.cpp, line 387
[Child 4233, MediaPlayback #3] WARNING: Decoder=9e35c940 [OnMediaSinkAudioError]: file /builds/worker/workspace/build/src/dom/media/MediaDecoderStateMachine.cpp, line 3755
The command apulse /opt/firefox/firefox that runs firefox57 from quickpet is ok : no errors and the sound is ok.
If somebody understand what is wrong thanks for a solution.
Philippe

bigpup

#648 Post by bigpup »

I noticed one thing. When starting up Xenial it boots the Zdrv file too. My old tharpup didn' t. What is the difference?
How was Tahrpup installed?
Full or frugal?
YaPI(any iso installer)

bigpup

#649 Post by bigpup »

Firefox and sound.
What a piece of junk they have made Firefox.

Probably need to do this:
Just have the apulse 0.1.11 from here installed. Nothing else.
Make sure to use the correct bit version.
http://smokey01.com/OscarTalks/
Reboot after you install it to make sure it is saved and loaded at the correct place.

There is some newer info here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 590#985590

Like I said, Firefox constantly changes what it needs.

You may also need this:

/root/.mozilla/firefox
Look for a directory that ends in .default

Put the user.js file in that directory.

Use Geany to make this user.js file.
This is what needs to be in it.
watchdog's code

// for using apulse with latest firefox
user_pref("security.sandbox.content.write_path_whitelist", "/dev/snd/");
user_pref("security.sandbox.content.syscall_whitelist", "/dev/snd/");
user_pref("security.sandbox.content.read_path_whitelist", "/dev/snd/");
[/quote]

Build 58 requires user_pref("security.sandbox.content.syscall_whitelist", "/dev/snd/"); to be set to "16" now instead of /dev/snd/, so am currently using

// for using apulse with latest firefox
user_pref("security.sandbox.content.write_path_whitelist", "/dev/snd/");
user_pref("security.sandbox.content.syscall_whitelist", "16");
user_pref("security.sandbox.content.read_path_whitelist", "/dev/snd/");
Ref: https://github.com/i-rinat/apulse/issues/65
YaPI(any iso installer)

augras

#650 Post by augras »

Hi,
Thanks a lot bigpup for your answer : it works fine.
As you said i took the apulse 0.1.11 .pet. I didn't install it and just put the lib in the firefox folder as said OscarTalks.
After in about:config i change the value 3 to 0 for sandbox.
Reboot and it's ok : in youtube, in 2 french TV replay that are not simple to work and in netflix. I think if it'is ok with netfliw itwill work every where.
Thanks again bigpup and OscarTalks.
And i hope the sound problems in firefox are finish : mozilla makes really bullshit with that.
Philippe