Xenialpup CE 7.5 / 25 Nov 2017

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
bigpup

#781 Post by bigpup »

This search web site works for me to find things.
Just make sure to select puppy forum from the drop down Web Source listing.
http://puppylinux.us/psearch.html
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

666philb

#782 Post by 666philb »

Ether wrote:
6502coder wrote:Have you applied XenialPup updates?
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 66#1003766
That worked. Thank you.

This thread -- Xenialpup CE 7.5 / 25 Nov 2017 -- has 779 posts.

I could not find a list anywhere in this thread of the known issues and fixes for the "xenialpup-7.5-uefi.iso 2019-Feb-24 11:51:38 324.7M" download,

and I could not figure out how to search all 779 posts in this thread to find a solution to the specific problem I was seeking help for.

Is there a way for a newcomer like me to "help myself" answer my questions? I'd hate to wear out my welcome by constantly posting questions that have already been answered because I can't search the thread for answers that are already posted.

hi Ether,

quickpet >> puppy search engine might give better results when looking for answers.
quickpet >> help>>installed bugfixes lists all fixes so far

but just post in this thread if you need help with xenialpup or in the beginners/users section for general questions
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

Ether

#783 Post by Ether »

bigpup wrote:This search web site works for me to find things.
Just make sure to select puppy forum from the drop down Web Source listing.
http://puppylinux.us/psearch.html
Thanks.

Although it's not what I was looking for (search all the posts in specific thread), I bookmarked it for possible future use.

Ether

#784 Post by Ether »

Hello.

Can someone please tell me the meaning of the attached error message?

Xenialpup CE 7.5 / 25 Nov 2017 with latest updates
Attachments
pmcputemp.png
(13.8 KiB) Downloaded 1129 times

666philb

#785 Post by 666philb »

Ether wrote:.
Hello.

Can someone please tell me the meaning of the attached error message?

Xenialpup CE 7.5 / 25 Nov 2017 with latest updates
hi Ether,

it's an error relating to pmcputemp a small tray app that shows cpu temperature. unfortunately it doesn't work on every computer and doesn't work in a virtual machine, so i've removed it in my later pups.

to stop the error move /root/Startup/pmcputemp1 to /root/Startup/disabled ... or simply delete it
Last edited by 666philb on Sat 16 Mar 2019, 17:46, edited 1 time in total.
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

6502coder

#786 Post by 6502coder »

Ether wrote:...I could not figure out how to search all 779 posts in this thread to find a solution to the specific problem I was seeking help for.
Here's a simple trick I use:

Go to the first page in the thread you are interested in. Look where your browser shows the URL of that page, and note that the address contains "t=<some number>". This is the thread number. For this thread it is 106479.

Now go to your search engine and just include "t=..." in your search, for example:

murga "t=106479" palemoon

In Google the first entry that comes up for me is a link to the first page of this thread. Then at the bottom of that Google entry, I click on "More results from murga-linux.com" and that brings up all the other hits on "palemoon" within this thread.

It's not perfect because the search will also hit on some places in other threads that have cross-linked into this thread, but it's still pretty useful.

There's an additional trick: if you're looking for posts by a specific forum member, make a note of their "joined date" and add that to the search criteria. (This works better than using their member name because it only hits on posts BY that member, not posts where that member was merely MENTIONED by somebody else.)

Ether

#787 Post by Ether »

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/postin ... opicreview

Works great. Definitely gonna bookmark your post. Thanks.

Ether

how to install binaries from ubuntu repos

#788 Post by Ether »

Hi.

It was my understanding that the more recent puppy distros are supposed to be binary compatible with the Ubuntu repos.

Can someone explain, or provide a link to an explanation, how to download and install binaries for the mathematical package Maxima in Xenialpup CE 7.5 ?

Thank you.

mikeslr

Re: how to install binaries from ubuntu repos

#789 Post by mikeslr »

Ether wrote:.

Can someone explain, or provide a link to an explanation, how to download and install binaries for the mathematical package Maxima in Xenialpup CE 7.5 ?
Hi Ether,

Here's how I would do it, no guarantees. Or, skip everything after Step 1, go directly to step 9 and hope for the best.

1. Open Menu>Setup>Puppy Package Manager. Click Configure (Top-Left, 3rd Icon from Left) then update. After updating, select Options and select into what folder you want packages to be downloaded. You DON'T want them to download into /root. Also place checks in "Always redownload packages..." and "Do not delete downloaded packages". After PPM finishes your configuration, type xdotool in the Search box and select Auto Install, then Do it on the Top-Right. You'll need xdotool for the next step.

2. Download and install PaDS 1.1.4 from here: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 922#998922. Read the short thread. This is only a summary: PaDS can combine various packages (such as debs) to create an Application.SFS if all such packages are in the same folder by Right-Clicking the folder and selecting Combine-to-SFS. Such SFS will have the name of the source folder and will be created in /root. It can also create either pets or SFSes by opening PaDS from the Utility Submenu and selecting source packages from wherever they are located. You can also choose the name of the application and the location where it will be created. This is important if your computer has limited RAM: you can choose to have your 'build-folder' on a partition rather than in /root, which occupies RAM. When opened from the Menu, PaDS can select all source packages in a folder by selecting one and then pressing Ctlr-a (IIRC). Having plenty of RAM, I never use PaDS that way for the reasons explained below.

3. Open your Web-browser to https://packages.ubuntu.com/. Type Maxima as your Keyword and select "Xenial" as the Distribution "Any" as the section. Click the Search Button. In the Window which opens, select the link to the Package Maxima. You may want to bookmark the webpage which opens as it shows links to all packages required (=dependencies) or recommended by Xenial Xerus to run Maxima. Xenialpup is binary compatible, but not identical, to Xenial Xerus. About which, more latter. Hopefully, knowing what Ubuntu thinks are dependencies will help you later if Puppy Package Manager misses something.

4. Re-open PPM, type Maxima into the Search Box, Click "Maxima_5.37.2-8"; then press the Down-Arrow next to the words "Auto Install" and select "Download All packages and dependencies".

4a. Examine the downloaded packages. If any of them are python, you'll have to use PaDS to built a Pet. SFSes have lower priority than applications builtin or installed: Puppy's will attempt to use builtin or install python packages rather than those in an SFS and fail.

5. Use PaDS to combine all the downloaded debs to create a Maxima-5.37.SFS. [The absence of the "2" is intentional"]. If it was created in /root, move it elsewhere first or when SFS-loading it. Sfs-load it. [SFSes remaining in /root when unloaded are deleted].

6. Find it's executable. Browse to it, Right-Click and select ListDD from the Popup Menu. [PPM doesn't perfectly duplicate Ubuntu's dependency checking; and Ubuntu assumes an infrastructure of libraries not all of which may be present in Puppies. So Puppies may require some libraries which Ubuntu doesn't mention and PPM won't know about]. On the bottom of List Dynamic Dependencies' GUI click the "Missing" Tab. If there are any binaries missing, see if PPM can provide them and rebuild the SFS. If it can't provide them, look for them using Ubuntu's Package Search. If all else fails, see if https://pkgs.org/ has them for Xenial xerus, if not, for debian Jessie (against which Xenial xerus was built) and if not for other versions of Ubuntu or debian, and if not for those for any distribution. Note, the further you get away from Xenial, the more likely you will need to create a symbolic link, given the name maxima seeks, to the file you found; and the less likely you are to actually end up with a functional application.

[6a. If List Dynamic Libraries reports that the executable is not a binary, search for the binary. Even with no missing libraries, it's good practice to start the application via the command line to see if there are any other problems. And if python is involved LDD can't tell you about any problems. You can only serially add missing python modules, then start the application via terminal again].

7. Once you have a functional package, it may still not appear on your menu. Browse to /usr/share/application's "Package Name.desktop", open it in a text editor and compare its "Category=" argument with other .desktops appearing in the category you want. Ubuntu sometimes specifies categories such as "Application", "gtk" and Puppies never read beyond the first two. Also, look at the "Icon=" argument. Puppies usually require an ending such as png or svg. As these often have to be changed requiring Step 8, it's just easier to use the "Combine-to-SFS" Right-Clicked folder method.

8. What I generally do once I've sorted step 7 out is* (a) Unload the SFS, (b) Left-Click/mount it, (c) Show Hidden Files; (d) create a blank folder with the name I want such as Maxima-5.37.2; (e) copy all files from the mounted SFS Window into the Maxima-5.37.2 folder, then open a terminal in that folder's parent and, either
dir2pet Maxima-5.37.2 if I always want the application or it involves python and I have no choice; or dir2sfs Maxima-5.37.2 if not.

* If you've created a pet, uninstall it, and UExtract it to make necessary changes.

9. Just type Maxima in PPM's Search box and click Auto Install. The problem with this method is that installing overwrites files, and uninstalling even a non-functioning application doesn't re-install the over-written files. Suggest backing up SaveFile/Folder before proceeding.
Last edited by mikeslr on Sat 14 Dec 2019, 21:57, edited 4 times in total.

soj

webserver

#790 Post by soj »

i am new on puppylinux,i was hoping someone could drop a tutorial on how to install apache and php on xenialpup.
i would be really grateful.

rockedge

#791 Post by rockedge »

Hello soj

I can give instructions to install Apache and PHP7.2+ on Xenialpup

Have you considered using the Hiawatha web server instead of Apache? Matter of fact you could install both and choose at run time which one you want to use.

Do you need the mysql (or mariadb) database?

what modules does your PHP need? make a list. Also do you want to use the user www-data or will the user that is present in Xenialpup already (webuser:webgroup) be Ok?

my next post will start the process

soj

#792 Post by soj »

rockedge wrote:Hello soj

Have you considered using the Hiawatha web server instead of Apache? Matter of fact you could install both and choose at run time which one you want to use.

what modules does your PHP need? make a list. Also do you want to use the user www-data or will the user that is present in Xenialpup already (webuser:webgroup) be Ok?

actually any will do for me..i want to learn programming as i have free time now and would like to learn a few things in addition to the spanish course i am taking

s243a

#793 Post by s243a »

soj wrote:

actually any will do for me..i want to learn programming as i have free time now and would like to learn a few things in addition to the spanish course i am taking
If it's about learning programming you might have more fun with something like bottle+python. :)

soj

#794 Post by soj »

s243a wrote:
soj wrote:

If it's about learning programming you might have more fun with something like bottle+python. :)
i just got idle running for my python...i had v2.7 installed and downloaded the idle for it. but it didn't work..just tried idle for 3.5 and voila it worked.
still don't know why or how though

RetroTechGuy

Xenial 7.5 not cleanly unmounting

#795 Post by RetroTechGuy »

I just upgraded to Xenial 7.5, and as I always do, I have the boot sequence perform a save file scan. Every time the system boots, it reports that the file was not cleanly unmounted, and does a repair.

Before that, it reports that the time stamp is in the future (which I suspect is some artifact of not cleanly unmounting).

I really don't want to do a full rebuild of this save file, since I just got most of my old tools installed and running again.

Anyone else seen this? I have been searching for the error, and seeing nothing. The drive has several other versions of Puppy running, and all of them seem to behave normally.

Edit:

Both the /mnt/home partition and the save file are ext2.

Xenial 7.5 fails to correctly unmount both the save file, and the host filesystem.

It fails to unmount using both reboot and shutdown.

I just testing several different paths -- booted to RAM, scanned and repaired both the filesystem and savefile. The first boot reports the save file as clean. The second boot reports it unclean, and the forced fsck repairs it before allowing it to load. So Xenial 7.5 is doing this.

Issue #2... From the command line, performing fsck on a save file does nothing other than report

Code: Select all

fsck from util-linux 2.27.1
Conversely e2fsck does the fie system check, and reports the (clean) save file to be clean.
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=58615]Add swapfile[/url]
[url=http://wellminded.net63.net/]WellMinded Search[/url]
[url=http://puppylinux.us/psearch.html]PuppyLinux.US Search[/url]

williams2

#796 Post by williams2 »

Every time the system boots, it reports that the file was not cleanly unmounted, and does a repair
This is very common and is (mostly) harmless.
ext3 and ext4 have journals and a file system check works much faster (almost instantaneously) than ext2.

If fsck does a repair, it is often just releasing an inode and freeing the blocks belonging to the inode. If a file was deleted (the file name was removed from the dictionary) but the inode was still in the dictionary and the blocks still associated with the inode because something was still accessing that file, it can cause this to happen.
the time stamp is in the future
Puppy first copies the kernel vmlinuz into ram memory and starts executing the instructions in ram, which then copies initrd to ram (that is, the initial ram drive) and starts executing it. This is before the Puppy sfs files are found and mounted and before your save file is found and mounted.

The init script in the initrd file does this:

[ "$TZ" ] && export TZ
hwclock -l -s
which sets the system clock which fsck will use when checking time stamps in the file system that it is checking.

The -l hwclock option tells it to use local time, but at this point, Puppy does not know your time zone. So the system time may not agree with the time stamps in the file system you are checking.

You can add the parameter TZ to your kernel boot parameters, for example:

... pfix=ram TZ=EST5EDT ...
but the TZ variable usually is the name of a timezone file, and the initrd does not have those files. Maybe something like TZ=UTC+5 would work, I haven't tried it.

You should not fsck a savefile that is being used by a running Puppy, it can corrupt it. You can force a fsck with the -f option, for example:

fsck.ext2 -vf savefile.2fs

bigpup

#797 Post by bigpup »

In the Xenialpup repository is a pet for qbat.
A battery charge monitor for the tray.
Really good program when it works.
http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... -0.2.2.pet

Qbat will not run.
Needs Qt5 stuff that is not in Xenialpup.

Why is qbat in the repository if it will not work in Xenialpup?
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

RetroTechGuy

#798 Post by RetroTechGuy »

williams2 wrote:
Every time the system boots, it reports that the file was not cleanly unmounted, and does a repair
This is very common and is (mostly) harmless.
ext3 and ext4 have journals and a file system check works much faster (almost instantaneously) than ext2.
It cannot be good that the main filesystem /mnt/sda1 is being left corrupted. This will eventually result in data loss...
the time stamp is in the future
Puppy first copies the kernel vmlinuz into ram memory and starts executing the instructions in ram, which then copies initrd to ram (that is, the initial ram drive) and starts executing it. This is before the Puppy sfs files are found and mounted and before your save file is found and mounted.

The init script in the initrd file does this:

[ "$TZ" ] && export TZ
hwclock -l -s
As it turns out, this error does not occur when the file is clean. I suspected that it was from the unclean dismount -- it appears that it is.
You should not fsck a savefile that is being used by a running Puppy, it can corrupt it. You can force a fsck with the -f option, for example:

fsck.ext2 -vf savefile.2fs
I have multiple save files. I only check them when they are unmounted. If the umount worked correctly, I wouldn't need to check them at all... ;-)

The basic fsck should select the appropriate tool to check a particular volume. The current tool takes space, and does nothing...

BTW, I should add that this is the 64 bit version.

RetroTechGuy

#799 Post by RetroTechGuy »

Hi Rerwin,

OK, I have installed both the sns 2.2.1 and the network_connect_update-20180930.

Seem to have the same behavior. Tried a couple reboots. It ends up that the connect button fails to connect, so I delete the configuration and then connect via eth0. It then took me 2 attempts to get a connection.

It appears that the initial (upon boot) attempt to connect fails with a beep. The connect button fails with a beep. I don't recall if there was a beep on the first attempt to connect via eth0 (it might have failed silently), and the next click on eth0 was successful... Very weird!

soj

#800 Post by soj »

I was running xenialpup 7.5 32bit on my pc with windows as frugal install,i formatted my windows partition and installed puppy on my hard drive,now I can't access my bios menu any more.my pc just goes blank for about 10 seconds then boots into xenialpup.how do i restore my bios menu.
Laptop is LG X140
BIOS is INSYDE version: UL2F3F73
Motherboard: QUANTA UL2