Fatdog64-710 Alpha/2 [29 April 2016] [CLOSED]

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
smokey01

#196 Post by smokey01 »

I've just noticed a little bit of weirdness in Alpha2.

When I suspended the laptop from the menu it went to sleep as expected. To get it back I needed to touch the power button, this woke it up. What seemed strange was, the suspend script was still displaying in the task manager and using about 12% CPU. Normally mine idles at 0-1% when doing nothing with no apps loaded.

I killed the suspend script in task manager but the 12% load remained. Doing a restart of X dropped the CPU back to 0% but my WiFi stopped working and I couldn't get it going again with wpa_gui. Once I rebooted all was good again.

Closing the lid produced similar results however the CPU load was only 1%, not 12% as before. To get the WiFi working without rebooting I right-clicked on wpa_gui and clicked on restart connection, this worked. Maybe this needs to happen whenever the lid is reopened or after pressing the power button after suspend.

EDIT: I just did another test by closing the lid. Opened it after about 30 seconds and this time WiFi was working, Mmm not sure why the difference. It also appears to be working when clicking on the suspend Menu item.

Surely once the machine is woken from suspend the WiFi should automatically connect. Shouldn't the suspend script disappear from memory as well?

A bug or not a bug, you decide.

kirk

#197 Post by kirk »

smokey01,

Unfortunately, suspend problems are kernel problems. Usually one of the modules have a problem. If you can find out which one is hanging up and it can be unloaded, you can rmmod it before suspend and then modprobe it after. You would have to edit /etc/acpi/actions/suspend.sh. Look for "echo mem > /sys/power/state " in that script, that's what actually causes the computer to suspend.
Fatdog 710 beta will have a newer kernel, so that may fix it for you,....or make it worse :).

smokey01

#198 Post by smokey01 »

Kirk it's intermittent which makes it even harder to diagnose.

Belham

beta ETA?

#199 Post by Belham »

kirk wrote:smokey01,

Unfortunately, suspend problems are kernel problems. Usually one of the modules have a problem. If you can find out which one is hanging up and it can be unloaded, you can rmmod it before suspend and then modprobe it after. You would have to edit /etc/acpi/actions/suspend.sh. Look for "echo mem > /sys/power/state " in that script, that's what actually causes the computer to suspend.
Fatdog 710 beta will have a newer kernel, so that may fix it for you,....or make it worse :).

Kirk & James,

What kind of time frame we looking at for the upcoming 'beta' release? I'm not trying to rush or anything like that, just wondering what a good guesstimate would be? October? December?? Next Spring?? I know it is crazy for you both, with the ARM / Android stuff too. Thanks!!

smokey01

#200 Post by smokey01 »

Quite often when I reboot from FD710 to another disto, lets say slacko57, and then reboot back into FD710 it hangs while loading the xserver. I have had the same issue with earlier FD's and on various machines. When I power down and restart all is well again. Is something being trapped in memory?

Has anyone else experienced this?

kirk

#201 Post by kirk »

What kind of time frame we looking at for the upcoming 'beta' release? I'm not trying to rush or anything like that, just wondering what a good guesstimate would be? October? December?? Next Spring?? I know it is crazy for you both, with the ARM / Android stuff too. Thanks!!

We're working on it. Probably a week or two if all goes well.

jd7654

#202 Post by jd7654 »

Fatgog 710a2 working well on my test laptop. No problems that I can tell. Only difference is I see the suspend function is fixed that was broken in 702 menu entry error suspend.desktop file.

-Computer-
Processor : 2x AMD E-350 Processor
Memory : 3639MB (394MB used)
Machine Type : Physical machine
Operating System : Fatdog64 [710]
User Name : root (root)
Date/Time : Wed Aug 24 09:13:23 2016
-Display-
Resolution : 1366x768 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Gallium 0.4 on AMD PALM (DRM 2.43.0, LLVM 3.7.0)
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
-Audio Devices-
Audio Adapter : HDA-Intel - HD-Audio Generic
Audio Adapter : HDA-Intel - HDA ATI SB
-Input Devices-
Power Button
Lid Switch
Power Button
Video Bus
AT Translated Set 2 keyboard
HD-Audio Generic HDMI/DP,pcm : 3=
HDA Digital PCBeep