Notecase Pro on a Puppy

Using applications, configuring, problems
bert07

Notecase Pro on a Puppy

#1 Post by bert07 »

For those who want to install Notecase Pro on their (32-bit) Puppy machines.

Notecase Pro is a (commercial) program from Miroslav Raj
PC: Dell Inspiron 531 - Motherboard: NVIDIA MCP61 chipset - Sound: Realtec High Definition Audio ALC888 - Display Adapter: ATI Radeon HD 2400 Pro - Wired: NVIDIA nForce networking controller - Wireless: Broadcom AirForce One 54g (ASUS WL-138g-V2)

Pelo

I am learning how to use the standard version .

#2 Post by Pelo »

I am learning how to use the standard version . I asked some help à mes collègues français here. French click the blue
Our Puppy master for Toutou Linux decided to insert the how-to using Notecase. So to update it some knowledge is needed.

mikeslr

Notecase Pro for XenialPup64

#3 Post by mikeslr »

Hi All,

Fortunately, pelo --who doesn't believe in letting sleeping dogs lie-- revitalized bert07 post. That lead me to look again at an application long included in Puppies which I've never used.

After dismantling the tar.gz bert07 provided, I obtained the equivalent Xenial Xerus 64-bit libs to those in his tar.gz and packaged them in a pet.

Unfortunately, the pet 'though only 562 K, is twice the size allowed for uploading. So, you'll have to download the following debs via https://packages.ubuntu.com/, specify Xenial "any". libgstreamer0.10-0; libgstreamer-plugins-base1.0-0 and libunique-1.0-0. Unpack the debs. Within those unpacked debs, you'll find the following libs with necessary symlinks:

libgstapp-0.10.so.o.25.0
libgstbase-0.10.so.0.30.0
libgstreamer.0.10.so.0.30.0 and
libunique-1.0.so.0.100.6

Although you'll find them in a folder named /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu, copy those libs and symlinks to /usr/lib. Or create a pet for later use.

The 64-bit deb version of notecase pro can be obtained from the link bert07 provided. Don't go crazy looking for separate links for "lite" and "trial". There's only one file downloadable. When you run it the first time you'll have to choose between running Notecase Pro as "lite", "Trial" or buy a license.

I could neither create a 64-bit package for Tahrpup64 nor use the 32-bit version with 32-bit compatibility loaded/installed. Although all the necessary libs were obtainable, the application wouldn't run. Ldd reports no missing libraries, rather the following cryptic error:

libstdc++.so.6 (CXXABI_1.3.9) => not found
libstdc++.so.6 (GLIBCXX_3.4.21) => not found

Tahrpup64 already has one lib named libstdc++.so.6. Substituting a different one didn't help. And just how many libs of the same name can you have? I thought only one. I'll leave it to those who understand programming to sort this out.

The reason notecase interests me is that it enables you to create multiple links among data files. IIRC, only the paid and trial versions support this. If I'm correct, after testing in "Trial" it may be worth it for me to purchase a license in order to break my last tie to Windows XP programs.

That last tie is an program known as InfoCentral, a relational database, masquerading as a PIM, developed by the creators of WordPerfect in 1997. Up to now I thought it the only program which permitted me to tie various pieces of data together, so that from any one I could find all the other pieces somehow related.

Something for me to explore.

mikeslr

musher0

#4 Post by musher0 »

Hi mikeslr.

Just a word to tell you that you can use the < split > utility to cut any
archive in chunks of less than 255 Kb. Then you can attach up to ten
of such chunks to a message on this forum, provided the chunks have
a recognized extension such as zip or pet.

Example:

Code: Select all

split -n N --numeric-suffixes=1 name-of-archive.pet
And then you rename / renumber the chunks as required. The "N"
in "-n N" is the number of chunks you want created.

To reconstruct the original archive in order to install it, the user would
issue in terminal a command similar to:

Code: Select all

cat *-name-of-archive.pet > name-of-archive.pet
(The asterisk replaces the chunk number.)

~~~~~~~~

Alternatively, for temporary storage of a file until someone it picks up,
you can use zippyshare. The maximum file size there is 200 Mb.

Of course, you would mention in your message the URL of the file now
stored at zippyshare.

IHTH. BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)