XenialDog (Ubuntu 16.04 'Xenial Xerus' LTS, 32-bit)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Max Headroom

#1006 Post by Max Headroom »

G'day Fred, I've Removed the /mnt/sda1 prefix, But I'm Still getting the incorrect cheatcode message... :-( this is so Sad :-(

Confirming that I Wish 2 Save 2 a Folder

Backi, the Warning Triangles have gone since I Ran the makepfile, Creating the Save Changes 2 Folder & ReBooted, But since Updating the Kernel & ReBooting Sumthing has Changed ( a Script??? )

Thanx 4 your Help Guys, I Do Appreciate it....

;-)K
PC is Not Political Correctness :P , it's a Personal Computer! Boycott the Evil M$ & Google!

backi

#1007 Post by backi »

Hi Max !
What the Hell are you doing ?

NEVER CHANGE A RUNNING SYSTEM .

So.... your Problems arose since a Kernel Update .....before this... everything went fine???

No Backups of your former Configuration/ Operating System? (menu.lst------changes FOLDER/FILE?---01-filesystem.squashfs ) ???

I dont have absolutely no clue how to handle Kernel Updates ......(did it once out of curiosity .......but can`t remember ).
But i backed-up the whole old OS in Case something went wrong .

Maybe it would help if you show us the actual Content of your casper Folder and your actual menu.lst.
Is your changes FOLDER/FILE on the same Device/Partition as your casper .Which type of Partition ext2/3/4 or fat or NTFS ?

Max Headroom

#1008 Post by Max Headroom »

Backi, I'm just trying 2 Build this Educational Laptop, it doesn't yet have any Data on it so I suppose that I could or should just Start again & put it down 2 eXperience or perhaps rather Lack of! ;-)

Respectfully Guys, I know wot I know, which is enough 2 be Dangerous ;-)

& I Certainly Wish I knew as much as you Guys about Linux, Ooh the Pain of the Learning Curve! Please eXcuse my Frustration, But Really this isn't as Tragic as 50 Deaths from Terrorist Attack Down South on the Mainland 2 Days ago

;-)K
PC is Not Political Correctness :P , it's a Personal Computer! Boycott the Evil M$ & Google!

backi

#1009 Post by backi »

Off Topic:

"""But Really this isn't as Tragic as 50 Deaths from Terrorist Attack Down South on the Mainland 2 Days ago"""

Be careful man .......smells like Psyop :
Maybe this is not what it seems to be on the first Sight .
Divide and conquer .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychological_warfare

New Zealand people don`t want to convert to Islam .Dont like New World Order/Dictatorship under Islamic Rules Global Islamisation ? ?Sharia Law---Sharia Police .
Dont you like it ....you nasty Islam Haters .

First tTake away your Guns???for what ...Invasion without Defenders ????then take away your Land , then take away your property ?then make you Slaves .....then you`re paying neverending tributes to the new Rulers .Same what happens here in Europe .
There is something "bloody" satanic wrong with your Politicians ......like her in Europe too......maybe i am paranoid ....but looks like a planned Genocide to "white" Europeans .Looks like a "Global" Plan.

.......please forgive me ....just an old Tin Foil Head/Hat .
But those who are not paranoid these Days ,must be insane .

Allahu Akbar !

fredx181

#1010 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Max,
But since Updating the Kernel & ReBooting Sumthing has Changed
Don't know how you did the kernel upgrade, anyway, the option from Menu > Upgrade Kernel used to work fine but now doesn't work anymore, so sorry if that's the reason for your trouble.

Fred

Max Headroom

#1011 Post by Max Headroom »

Backi, maybe the Most Regrettable thing w/ Muslims is their Reluctance 2 have a Friendly Social Beer or Wine w/ us... ;-)K

Max Headroom

#1012 Post by Max Headroom »

G'day Fred, while Trying 2 apt update / upgrade I've got E: The package libnss3-nssdb needs to be reinstalled, I've Tried w/ Both apt & apt-get & Synaptic, But in Vain?

Please Help...

;-)K
Attachments
shot-2019-03-19_00-11-59.jpg
(39.82 KiB) Downloaded 611 times

wiak

#1013 Post by wiak »

backi wrote:Off Topic:
First tTake away your Guns???for what ...Invasion without Defenders ????then take away your Land , then take away your property ?then make you Slaves .....then you`re paying neverending tributes to the new Rulers .Same what happens here in Europe .
There is something "bloody" satanic wrong with your Politicians ......!
Yes, entirely out of place and off topic, and being a thread about Xenial Dog couldn't/shouldn't be answered here, and whilst I don't understand your ramblings, they look very wrong to me - but please take such comments (if you feel the need to make them) to Off Topic Area since don't want to read them when browsing about Xenial Dog, backi.

wiak

#1014 Post by wiak »

Hi Fred,

I'm playing/experimenting with overlayfs in Void Linux. Wondered if it is enabled in XenialDog64? When I tried simple overlay with xenialdog64, per the stuff I'm doing in void, it didn't work. However, it may be that I was trying to use it on a filesystem that was already an aufs layer (I'm not planning to use aufs with void).

So for now, just wanting to know if overlayfs enabled in XenialDog64 kernel.

wiak

EDIT: Sorry, meant to post this in XenialDog64 thread (using wrong thread) but sure you'll see it anyway. I'm aware, by the way, of the disadvantages/advantages of overlayfs compared to aufs support of layering, but I'm only interested in overlayfs for future work of my own since not enough time in the day to keep track of alternatives that weren't adopted for inclusion in kernel.

fredx181

#1015 Post by fredx181 »

Hi wiak,
So for now, just wanting to know if overlayfs enabled in XenialDog64 kernel
It's included in the kernel but not activated when using porteus-boot.
Btw, I expected that Xenialdog would boot with overlayfs when using "casper-boot", but just tested and it's not working, only aufs works (must add union=aufs to the kernel command line)
Don't know what you're trying to do, but it may work if you do a modprobe (kernel module name is just overlay, not overlayfs):

Code: Select all

modprobe overlay
P.S. StretchDog (and I think also DevuanDog) will boot by default with overlayfs when using live-boot

Fred

wiak

#1016 Post by wiak »

fredx181 wrote:Hi wiak,
So for now, just wanting to know if overlayfs enabled in XenialDog64 kernel
It's included in the kernel but not activated when using porteus-boot.
Btw, I expected that Xenialdog would boot with overlayfs when using "casper-boot", but just tested and it's not working, only aufs works (must add union=aufs to the kernel command line)
Don't know what you're trying to do, but it may work if you do a modprobe (kernel module name is just overlay, not overlayfs):

modprobe overlay
P.S. StretchDog (and I think also DevuanDog) will boot by default with overlayfs when using live-boot

Fred
It's not for xenialdog I'm using overlayfs, so not really needing it working there - just experimenting with overlayfs more generally for use with void linux.

It was just that I was booted up in xenialdog and one point and just doing simply overlayfs experiments at the time, so was trying it from there.

Yeah, I'd already tried 'modprobe overlay' in xenialdog but didn't seem to be working, though I may have done something wrong at the time.

No problem though, it's working in void linux for me, which is where I want it anyway.

wiak

wiak

#1017 Post by wiak »

fredx181 wrote: Don't know what you're trying to do, but it may work if you do a modprobe (kernel module name is just overlay, not overlayfs):

modprobe overlay
If overlayfs was in the kernel (as should normally be by default, the following little test of it should work, but doesn't in either XenialDog64 or BionicDog64 and 'modprobe overlay' doesn't help:

cd /tmp
mkdir lower upper workdir overlay
sudo mount -t overlay -o \
lowerdir=/tmp/lower,\
upperdir=/tmp/upper,\
workdir=/tmp/workdir \
none /tmp/overlay
Pity really. Could use aufs instead of course, but I've working on using overlayfs with an underlying Void Linux install so aufs no interest to me. Anyway, I can actually use my Void Linux install itself instead since overlayfs works fine in there - just liked the option of continuing the experiments even when I was booted into XenialDog but no big deal.

wiak

fredx181

#1018 Post by fredx181 »

Hi wiak, I tested your code on Stretch (after doing "modprobe overlay") and got error message (probably the same as you, I guess)

mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on overlay,
       missing codepage or helper program, or other error

Then I tried if it works on a mounted partition (in my case 'tmp' folder on sda7) and seems to me it's OK.
My guess is that if you a use a directory inside (the already mounted with aufs) filesystem, then it doesn't work, but outside it does work from my test, anyway, no error message appears.

mkdir -p /mnt/sda7/tmp
cd /mnt/sda7/tmp
mount -t overlay -o \
lowerdir=/mnt/sda7/tmp/lower,\
upperdir=/mnt/sda7/tmp/upper,\
workdir=/mnt/sda7/tmp/workdir \
none /mnt/sda7/tmp/overlay
EDIT: Tested also now on XenialDog using sda7/tmp, looks OK to me:

root@xenial64:~# mount | grep overlay
none on /mnt/sda7/tmp/overlay type overlay (rw,relatime,lowerdir=/mnt/sda7/tmp/lower,upperdir=/mnt/sda7/tmp/upper,workdir=/mnt/sda7/tmp/workdir)
EDIT2: Mmm.. just found that it works also in tmpfs, e.g. folder /mnt/live

cd /mnt/live/tmp
mount -t overlay -o \
lowerdir=/mnt/live/tmp/lower,\
upperdir=/mnt/live/tmp/upper,\
workdir=/mnt/live/tmp/workdir \
none /mnt/live/tmp/overlay
The /tmp directory was a tmpfs filesystem in earlier distributions, but nowadays it's not anymore in Debian and Ubuntu, maybe in Void it still is ?

Fred

wiak

#1019 Post by wiak »

fredx181 wrote: My guess is that if you a use a directory inside (the already mounted with aufs) filesystem, then it doesn't work, but outside it does work from my test, anyway, no error message appears.
The /tmp directory was a tmpfs filesystem in earlier distributions, but nowadays it's not anymore in Debian and Ubuntu, maybe in Void it still is ?

Fred
Ah, OK. I should gave checked that too. That's good though, I'll try that too and chech that difference with void when I'm next on computer. Posting from android phone just nw... What you write makes sense tho so I just need to not use aufs mount for my experiments more generally.

Thanks, wiak

Max Headroom

#1020 Post by Max Headroom »

G'day Fred & Co, I've just installed this Frugal Porteus install on my daughters PC Dual Booting w/ M$ Virus Magnet Windows 7, 1st install of this in about a year, but I'm getting a Grub Error 15, File not found

I'm Confused because as yoU can see below it's Labelled as Debian-PorteusDog, when in Fact my Remastered OS is Based on this XenialDog (Ubuntu 16.04 'Xenial Xerus' LTS, 32-bit). I don't understand How that happened??? So it Occurred 2 me that the Ke*nel & initrd File/Path Location aRe wRong because there isn't a Live Directory & the Frugal install Created a Casper Directory, So when I Created the Changes.dat File, which I Renamed saveme.dat & Edited the Ke*nel & initrd File/Path 2 Reflect the Appropriate Location, ie. Casper as Below again, But alas that didn't cure the Grub Error 15, File not found issue, Please Advize me what's wRong? & How 2 Fix it

title Debian-PorteusDog - changes to /live/ sysvinit
uuid 10641A66641A4F3A
kernel /live/vmlinuz1 from=/ noauto changes=/live/
initrd /live/initrd1.xz

title Angel Student Eco PC - changes to /mnt/sda1/casper/saveme.dat sysvinit
uuid 10641A66641A4F3A
kernel /casper/vmlinuz1 from=/ noauto changes=/mnt/sda1/casper/saveme.dat
initrd /casper/initrd1.xz

Btw yoU may be wundrin' whY i'm Persisting w/ such a Mature *Dog, well that's because I was getting Different Weird Errors Booting DebianDog & StretchDog etc that I've Never seen before, But it was the same Error 4 Both DebianDog & StretchDog & they were All on the Same USB Flash Dr as my Angel Student Eco PC which as I say is a Remastered XenialDog (Ubuntu 16.04 'Xenial Xerus' LTS, 32-bit). Yet this actually installed Thanx 2 isobootermod of course & FrizBee Worked where it didn't w/ 1 or 2 others that did boot, I think maybe Mintpup being 1 of those, But w/ this Frustrating Grub Error 15, File not found Error being a Considerable issue.

Please Help!

;-\K

fredx181

#1021 Post by fredx181 »

Max wrote:title Angel Student Eco PC - changes to /mnt/sda1/casper/saveme.dat sysvinit
uuid 10641A66641A4F3A
kernel /casper/vmlinuz1 from=/ noauto changes=/mnt/sda1/casper/saveme.dat
Not sure if it's the cause of your problem but XenialDog has "vmlinuz", not "vmlinuz1", so this may work then:

title Angel Student Eco PC - changes to /mnt/sda1/casper/saveme.dat sysvinit
uuid 10641A66641A4F3A
kernel /casper/vmlinuz from=/ noauto changes=/mnt/sda1/casper/saveme.dat
Fred

Max Headroom

#1022 Post by Max Headroom »

Thanx Fred, the Good News is Grub Error 15 is Fixed, But the Bad News is Now I've got a Grub Error 22: No such partition.

Of course I've Searched the iNet 4 the Solution, But they're Typically Talking about PCs w/ 2 Hard D' Drives, whereas my daughters PC is just a Single Hard D' Dr EEE PC.

These Grub Errors aRe doing my Head in... as a Matter of Fact I've Wished & Searched 4 a Complete Generic Grub Errors Summary & Solutions Glossary....

I Welcome any more Help, Please & Thanx!

;-\K

fredx181

#1023 Post by fredx181 »

Max Headroom wrote:Thanx Fred, the Good News is Grub Error 15 is Fixed, But the Bad News is Now I've got a Grub Error 22: No such partition.

Of course I've Searched the iNet 4 the Solution, But they're Typically Talking about PCs w/ 2 Hard D' Drives, whereas my daughters PC is just a Single Hard D' Dr EEE PC.

These Grub Errors aRe doing my Head in... as a Matter of Fact I've Wished & Searched 4 a Complete Generic Grub Errors Summary & Solutions Glossary....

I Welcome any more Help, Please & Thanx!

;-\K
Is your uuid correct for sda1 ?
uuid 10641A66641A4F3A
Fred

Max Headroom

#1024 Post by Max Headroom »

Thanx 4 your Help again Fred, I did Wunder about that uuid,

OK I found it in GParted info, it seems that it's Correct, However I was Suspicious of How the Original Debian-PorteusDog came 2 be on my menu.lst File & if they're Related?

is there any more info that might help solving this?

;-)K