XenialDog (Ubuntu 16.04 'Xenial Xerus' LTS, 32-bit)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
oui

#31 Post by oui »

I did until now only install, install, adjust etc.

And now, IN JWM, I see that my graphic system is NOT stabil and waits / blocks until you prefer clearly to reboot

so I am now back to real Lubuntu minimal 64 16.04 again, as I will today work and not experiment.

(but, I have to say, I am not surprised: I test the original the original ubuntu yet since begin of November 2015 and have yet in the live stable ISO Kubuntu 64 16.04 troubles in the graphic system. Those troubles where also present in all other Ubuntu 16.04 testing excepted in Lubuntu and that is the reason why I did, now, install Lubuntu minimal, hopping they are solved in this small among of software! My DELL laptop uses, of course by Dell, Intel chips :oops: ...)

saintless

#32 Post by saintless »

oui wrote:This would be a wrong way for me and all the users using not save file of course! Why not in an external squashfs or kind of dotdeb or dotpet to install separately before remaster.

Code: Select all

apt-get update
apt-get install linux-firmware
Then remaster and keep 116Mb extra firmware you will never need + source code included inside. In a month the size will be 150Mb or more in /lib/firmware.
Debian runs with only 150Kb firmware on most machines.
We use the same method for locales in DD and I see no problems to remove lnaguages you don't speak and firmware you don't need from your system. You can install them with apt-get (Synaptic) anytime.
My suggestion doesn't mean Fred will do it. It is his choice.

Toni

stemsee

#33 Post by stemsee »

Here is a script by technosaurus might be useful for cutting down unused modules/firmware on an individual system basis. Could be modified also to cut locales and non-zeroed docs etc.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 48&t=51552

fredx181

#34 Post by fredx181 »

Thanks all for testing and the feedback!

@oui,
I did commute to JWM as I am an old puppyist feeling well in JWM...

If nothing is in a menu subdir (for ex. menu > other) the graphic system crashes and the opened windows close as well as things like your actual definitions after start time like setxkbmap...
Yes, same for me, I didn't notice that crash before, here's a fix, install new version (0.0.2) of jwm-setup.

apt-get update
apt-get install jwm-setup
Changes:
- No empty categories show in the default menu
- Added choice for menu type (Menu Debian or Menu Default) in Menu > System > ...
The menu Debian has icons, but lots are missing.

Changes added to Changes and fixes list

If you want to make your own JWM setup with Debian-menu, just delete the symlink /usr/local/bin/update-menus.
Then it should be back to original state (no custom menu setup), unless you run one of the menu options (like 'Menu Default') again.
Or... you can edit ~/.jwm/jwm.tail or jwm.head to how you like.

Edit: There IS 'Rox Filemanager' entry, Menu > System

Fred
Last edited by fredx181 on Wed 04 May 2016, 18:46, edited 3 times in total.

fredx181

#35 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Toni,
Iso and modules mirrored here:
http://kazzascorner.com.au/saintless/XenialDog/
Thanks! I added as mirror in first post.
I think you can move the repository to smokey01.com if you like. The free space should be enough for one more package repository.
Yes, thanks again, I will probably do that at a later point (new iso)
fredx181 wrote:
Possible TODO: make it smaller (but I'm no good with that)

I can't help much here, Fred.....
Yes, good idea to have firmware as separate squashfs

Fred

Pelo

quite a Puppy !

#36 Post by Pelo »

quite a Puppy ! promoted on Facebook by skamilinux.hu and not too big Iso, i decided to try this version of Ubuntu.
appart the boot, once on the desktop, i really know how to do, main things i would say. frisbee, sfs load.
the big trouble is saves, how to change this strange boot. I always failed with Porteus.
This Puppy is much more fun than UBUNTU (abandoned however i have CDs at home). However i can speak about XenialDog on Ubuntu Users forum, francophone users.. I am registered (for applications it's useful when Puppy developers had never use an application -SSR for instance)
Attachments
office.jpg
My favourites home spreadsheets and typing machine installed easily
(34.78 KiB) Downloaded 1900 times
Last edited by Pelo on Wed 04 May 2016, 02:31, edited 1 time in total.

escucha

#37 Post by escucha »

XenialDog (Ubuntu 16.04 'Xenial Xerus' LTS, 32-bit) working as xenius.

What about a 64-bit version?

Any plans for it?

Love this very good aesthetic.

Pelo

how to save your data in porteus boot

#38 Post by Pelo »

USB is fat32, it does not work there.
Save in Linux partition . now ok.
100mb 'pupsave' create, that is exactly the same as Puppy excepted that partition must be .ext
Now i must set my keyboard to fr..
Fotoxx, a brand new version !
Attachments
Malingre.jpg
Yellow : colleague fulfilling database for the boss. Green : studying Facebook
(64.28 KiB) Downloaded 1621 times
Last edited by Pelo on Wed 04 May 2016, 10:39, edited 2 times in total.

fredx181

#39 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Pelo,
the big trouble is saves, how to change this strange boot. I always failed with Porteus.
It's really not that complicated as you might think.
Read here for examples (it's for Mintpup but applies for XenialDog also):
https://github.com/MintPup/MintPup-Trus ... ot-methods

Looking at your screenshot from few posts ago you created setup for changes folder in a folder named Porteus at the root of your sda3 partition,
(/mnt/sda3/Porteus/changes)
Be sure there's no directory 'Porteus' also at the root of another partition.
Then "changes=...." parameter would be :

changes=/Porteus
(unique name 'Porteus' at root of partition)
or for save on exit only:

changes=EXIT:/Porteus
Then the changes will be in Porteus/changes

But could be any name instead Porteus (e.g: xendog) if it exists and corresponds with the changes=..... parameter .

Changes to directory works only on ext partition, not FAT or NTFS.

Fred

Pelo

FFmpeg not needed for MP3. ?

#40 Post by Pelo »

saves are now understood and run in my Linux partition (porteus). In my opinion that is the main difficulty for people used to Puppy.
8) thanks for the explanations.
:?: Where do you type Changes=/porteus in Live.cfg ?

Please confirm i cannot save to my pendrive because FAT32 is the format. Perhaps i should create a Partition ext2 in this pendrive using Gparted,
I am exploring..
Neur1 (page 2) succeeds :"installed it to a usb via rufus persistence/save working . but also tried it as a live cd first. fast and stable for me. nice
It's a nice distro, i am pleased (Xenialpup is too much like tahrpup, that is the reason i test XenialDog)

Rufus ???? (Lili live usb creator was my pendrive creator)
You Tube : perfect. (audio working)
Now i am facing to recording applications. No sound (Xvidcap and Precord)
Precord help told me that FFmpeg not needed for MP3.
Attachments
Xvidcap.jpg
Loaded with packages manager, all dependencies included.
(78.74 KiB) Downloaded 1750 times

Pelo

XenialDog for frenchy guys

#41 Post by Pelo »

Gparted ext2 partition in pendrive.
Testing the process. At reboot my laptop quite explode, something bad :evil:

a- type setxkbmap fr in terminal (setxkb?qp fr)
b-/etc/default/keyboard change us by fr and save.
c - numlock to activate
d- copy bookmarks html from one of your archives
e- launch frisbee ( :) easy )
F launch Firefox browser
g launch puppy from your bookmarks
i enter your adsl password;
j feed back your flops and success to XenialDog topic.
K have a drunk :) and taste the menu if something new.
Last edited by Pelo on Wed 04 May 2016, 10:25, edited 4 times in total.

mcewanw

Re: FFmpeg not needed for MP3. ?

#42 Post by mcewanw »

Pelo wrote:saves are now understood and run in my Linux partition (porteus). In my opinion that is the main difficulty for people used to Puppy.
8) thanks for the explanations.
:?: Where do you type Changes=/porteus in Live.cfg ?
What is Live.cfg? Why don't you just install to usb drive using the provided installer (XenialDog-Installer or whatever it is called) which uses standart grub4dos and then you just need the correct menu.lst that we are all used to setting up? I think that would be a lot easier than using some external usb creator program, which only a few people here on Puppy are likely to be familiar with. We can easily help you with grub4dos and menu.lst configuration though.

I don't have XenialDog on this computer so I can't verify the installer name but I imagine it is in Start menu -> Accessories or Utilities or System (probably Accessories).
Pelo wrote: Please confirm i cannot save to my pendrive because FAT32 is the format. Perhaps i should create a Partition ext2 in this pendrive using Gparted,
I am exploring.
Correct me if I am wrong Fred, but I think with porteus boot you cannot save changes to directory if ntfs or fat32 but you can save to these formats if you instead use changes.dat save file. Otherwise, Pelo, yes, you could create separate ext2 partition and use changes to directory with porteus boot.
Pelo wrote: Now i am facing to recording applications. No sound (Xvidcap and Precord)
Precord depends only on arecord and lame to record mp3 files (i.e. doesn't use ffmpeg for that) so you just need to check both these are part of the installation using:

which arecord

which lame
If these commands indicate the presence of arecord and lame then Precord should record mp3 fine once the volume mixer (alsamixer) has been correctly set up capture input source; for example: capture from internal microphone or whatever you wish to use as your input source.

Clicking the Mixer button in Precord config screen will bring up alsamixer and by talking into microphone you should see if working in the also provided VU display. If VU not moving in response to microphone speaking than adjust the Capture settings in alsamixer window and select Mic for input and maybe some Mic boost for more sensitivity - all that is in alsamixer settings. Once thus set up and alsarecord and lame verified as being installed then precord will record fine as usual. The only occasion exception is if the sound card isn't in the usual card 0 device 0 soundcard location - if not, you would need to try position 0,1 or 1,0 or 1,1 (by ticking the relevant card,device checkboxes) - usually you just leave them blank though to indicate card,device = 0,0

EDIT: Worth mentioning, I think, that arecord -l (an L) will list the card,device numbers for the sound devices on your system.

William
Last edited by mcewanw on Wed 04 May 2016, 22:23, edited 1 time in total.
github mcewanw

Pelo

Merci de votre aide.

#43 Post by Pelo »

:) happy to 'get a little help from my friends' -Joe Cocker- here
Appreciated because some Puppy-builders let users burn their puplet and leave a few days later..
:? flops
So Many...
:P success
Lili Linux USB Creator, unless the whole USB is formated Fat 32,

mcewanw ... you can use XenialDog install process, ... if XenialDog yet installed (I don't burn CDs) :!:
Audio : You Tube music plays, no flashplayer to install. Bravo !
I am used to set parameters retrovol and alsamixer. Precord would miss lame (quite sure) and Xvidcap too, of course.

I was happy enough with Tahrpup and its quickpet, and its Qt Libraries. Which idea they had to delete FFmpeg, very bad idea.

root@xenial:~# which arecord
/usr/bin/arecord
root@xenial:~# which lame
root@xenial:~#

"What is Live.cfg? Why don't you just install to usb drive using the provided installer (XenialDog-Installer or whatever it is called) which uses standart grub4dos and then you just need the correct menu.lst that we are all used to setting up? I think that would be a lot easier " That is true. From time to time, i like to 'walk on the wild side ' 8) With XenialDog, as to-day.
Last edited by Pelo on Wed 04 May 2016, 10:09, edited 2 times in total.

Pelo

grub4dos boot : denied (Lili USB Creator Will be elected)

#44 Post by Pelo »

grub4dos boot
only accepts to boot in always fresh mode because NTFS or Fat Found in ./
USB reformated and XenialDog installed with Lili USB creator,
My 'pupsave' loads at boot, Porteus process.
I erased all my infructuous tries.
It when the Puppy is installed that users really begin to work. Mounting a video is a long long way.... but that is a hobby, more than booting the puppies. :P

That does the job :

label XenialDog Porteus Always Fresh
kernel /casper/vmlinuz
append initrd=/casper/initrd1.xz from=/ nomagic base_only norootcopy

label XenialDog Porteus in RAM (save in changes=/changes.dat file)
kernel /casper/vmlinuz
append initrd=/casper/initrd1.xz noauto from=/ copy2ram changes=/mnt/sda3/Porteus/changes.dat :!: this one.

label XenialDog casper-boot in RAM (save in casper-rw file or partition)
kernel /casper/vmlinuz
append initrd=/casper/initrd.lz boot=casper ignore_uuid cdrom-detect/try-usb=true showmounts union=aufs toram persistent

fredx181

#45 Post by fredx181 »

Pelo wrote:itle XenialDog - porteus-boot - in RAM save on EXIT changes=/changes.dat file
uuid 629C-631F
kernel /casper/vmlinuz from=/ noauto copy2ram changes=EXIT:/changes.dat
initrd /casper/initrd1.xz
Above is for when changes.dat savefile is on the root of a partition.
It should work but I'd recommend to have it in a folder with unique name e.g. xendog, in that case, create folder xendog (e.g. /mnt/sda3/xendog):

Title XenialDog - porteus-boot - in RAM save on EXIT changes=/xendog/changes.dat file
uuid 629C-631F
kernel /casper/vmlinuz from=/ noauto copy2ram changes=EXIT:/xendog/changes.dat
initrd /casper/initrd1.xz
No full path needed, it will be found at boot

If "xendog" is on a ext2/3/4 partition you can use save to folder,

changes=EXIT:/xendog/
Hope it's clear now.

Fred
Last edited by fredx181 on Wed 04 May 2016, 17:29, edited 1 time in total.

mcewanw

#46 Post by mcewanw »

fredx181 wrote: If "xendog" is on a ext partition you can use save to folder,

changes=EXIT:/xendog/
Hope it's clear now.

Fred
But is it correct, as far as I recall, that if xendog is on a fat32 or ntfs partition you can use a save file called changes.dat (in /xendog folder)? And you should construct changes.dat first, in that xendog folder, to whatever size is most suitable for you needs. And on kernel line of menu.lst you then need this part:

changes=EXIT:/xendog/changes.dat
when underlying partition for the changes.dat save file is ntfs or fat32?

William
github mcewanw

fredx181

#47 Post by fredx181 »

William wrote:changes=EXIT:/xendog/changes.dat

when underlying partition for the changes.dat save file is ntfs or fat32?
Yes, savefile placed on fat32 works in any case, but for ntfs, I think hibernation should be disabled (in Windows).
If it's enabled it probably won't work.

Fred

fredx181

#48 Post by fredx181 »

Pelo wrote:Now i am facing to recording applications. No sound (Xvidcap and Precord)
Yes, I could not record sound with xvidcap either, thanks for reporting.
I must admit that some apps I didn't test properly yet, for next ISO release it will be different.

New version of xvidcap, 1.1.7a, install:

apt-get update
apt-get install xvidcap
Or from Synaptic: First: Reload, then search xvidcap and install/upgrade.
Changed: removed dependency of pulseaudio, (works fine with oss driver /dev/dsp)
This way install space required will be a lot smaller also.

New version of precord, 9.0.4, install:

apt-get update
apt-get install precord
Changed: Added dependency: lame
Or from Synaptic: First: Reload, then search precord and install/upgrade.

Changes added to Changes and fixes list

Fred

musher0

#49 Post by musher0 »

Hi, FredX.

I tested your XenialDog on a HP Compaq 6715b portable.

The boot process got me to the X window and jwm (?), but it was unusable: the screen
was full of triangles (such as "dented fanions with mites eating at the colors".) That
sentence sounds like poetry but it isn't! No fun at all!

Never had that problem before. I got boots to black screen now and then on a very small
number of Puppies, but this is new.

BFN
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

mcewanw

#50 Post by mcewanw »

Hello musher0,

I haven't myself tried out DDXenial but will do tonight so my experiences with it may help you out since my machine is an old HP Elitebook 2530P. Most of these older HP machines are pretty similar and I can also later try out DDXenial on an HP 6730P, which one of my friends have. It would be useful to know the complete specs of your machine including processor, RAM, and the graphics chip it has, in order to make a comparison.

Also, I note there is a XenialPup now available in beta; have you tried that out? If that works for you then I expect it should be easy enough to get DDXenial working on your machine too since most of the underlying software/drivers are likely the same.

FYI, my HP Elitebook 2530P main specs (just read whilst in TahrPup) are Intel CPU Core2 Duo L9600 2.13GHz; 2 GB RAM; Intel Integrated Graphics with Kernet driver i915 (VGA controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 07) Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Device 30e1); 1200 x 800 pixel resolution LCD (your machine probably more since bigger screen);

I'll let you know my own results once I have them (never had any problem with any of the DebianDogs or Mintpup on my HP machines as yet).

William
github mcewanw