Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 06 Dec 2019, 22:12
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
XenialDog (Ubuntu 16.04 'Xenial Xerus' LTS, 32-bit)
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 23 of 69 [1024 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, ..., 67, 68, 69 Next
belham2

PostPosted: Sun 22 Jan 2017, 16:48    Post subject:  

fredx181 wrote:
*** New XenialDog ISO 2017-01-22 ***

Also, most important for me, I need to close a chapter, must take a break in creating stuff, always searching for new solutions, improvements etc..
Really need to pay more attention to "real life" e.g. my health (sitting so much at the computer is killing me)

I will still be around here, but nothing new from me in the near future (probably in spring or summer I will work again on a new DebianDog, when Stretch has arrived as the 'stable' branch)

Fred

Hi Fred,

Truer words could not have been spoken.....the bad I am doing to my body sitting at this computer for so many hours during the week is just unreal. I know I shouldn't be doing it, but I still do, despite back and hip bones grinding against one another, blood pooling in my legs, my posture very bad, and even my feet going numb. Yet I still will sit here. How dumb am I?? Rolling Eyes And I cannot imagine what it is like for those of you who develop and code these builds. We all are just killing ourselves. Even with one of those fancy rising desks, it doesn't do anything, as I still end up sitting back down after awhile.

Anyhow, take a good long break, get some exercising in, go see some friends face to face, and no more computer. Your creations and ddogs and their users will still be here, haha, that is if the sitting-police and/or grim-reaper haven't come to take us away first Shocked

Enjoy your break, and stay away from the computer until the flowers come out in full bloom this summer. Got a feeling we're going to get no Nordic cool breezes this summer and it is going to get brutally hot, just like it got brutally cold this winter.

Be good, my friend, and take care of yourself! Wink
fredx181

PostPosted: Sun 22 Jan 2017, 17:16    Post subject:  

belham2 wrote:
Enjoy your break, and stay away from the computer until the flowers come out in full bloom this summer. Got a feeling we're going to get no Nordic cool breezes this summer and it is going to get brutally hot, just like it got brutally cold this winter.

Be good, my friend, and take care of yourself! Wink

Thanks Belham, and you also change things to the better, that's an order!! Smile

Moat

PostPosted: Mon 23 Jan 2017, 00:52    Post subject:  

Just a quick spin of your latest 32 bit on my old dual-core Optiplex 380 desktop, Fred, but running and looking fantastic... congrats! I really need to work on wrapping my head around getting this set up w/savefile on a USB stick (as I am so used to with standard Puppies) - just too many great things about these Dogs (extra tools, quick remastering, Synaptic!) not to do so.

Two tiny things spotted so far on LxPanel - the funky slash in the date while hovering over the panel's clock (vaguely recall seeing something earlier 'bout this... will have a look/seek) and the panel weather widget won't find a location (an LxPanel/Yahoo regression thing, I'm sure).

Otherwise - beautiful, so flexible and fast! Cool Fonts look especially good, too. Thanks,

Bob
xenialdog-32-1-22-2017.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   9.71 KB
 Viewed   1024 Time(s)

xenialdog-32-1-22-2017.jpg

backi

PostPosted: Mon 23 Jan 2017, 04:04    Post subject:  

Hi fred !

Quote:
Also, most important for me, I need to close a chapter, must take a break in creating stuff, always searching for new solutions, improvements etc..
Really need to pay more attention to "real life" e.g. my health (sitting so much at the computer is killing me)

Good idea fred ......in my humble opinion .
Be good to yourself .......hanging a lot on the web like i do, can give some distorted relation to "real " life .
Your decision sounds like a sign of sanity .

Wish you all the best........and see you later Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Robert123

PostPosted: Mon 23 Jan 2017, 05:11    Post subject:  

fredx181 wrote:
*** New XenialDog ISO 2017-01-22 ***
First post has been updated

Again a new ISO after a few days ?
Well, to be honest, that's mostly for personal reasons.
Me being a perfectionist, couldn't stand that it was still not how I'd prefer.

I will still be around here, but nothing new from me in the near future (probably in spring or summer I will work again on a new DebianDog, when Stretch has arrived as the 'stable' branch)

Changes, fixes: (nothing much really)

1. Pcmanfm "open with..." shows applications to choose from now
2. Package "desktop-drive-icons" upgraded to newer version (and drive icons placed horizontally on the desktop now)
3. Added one more option to choose from in "Desktop Manager": Pcmanfm providing the desktop and Lxpanel bottom panel (for those who don't like tint2 or cairo-dock, it's a little heavier, but still very light)

Download: (ISO from 2017-01-18 will be removed)
Iso: XenialDog_32bit-openbox_jwm-2017-01-22-firmware-all.iso Size: 304MB
Md5sum: XenialDog_32bit-openbox_jwm-2017-01-22-firmware-all.md5

Fred

Have a good break Fred you've earned it.

rufwoof

PostPosted: Tue 24 Jan 2017, 10:11    Post subject:  

fredx181 wrote:

Hi Fred.

The fix for me was to simplify down to using core Debian, with a single script added in (equivalent of (similar to) save2flash) and accepting running as a user rather than root (su into root whenever need to do admin type tweaks). Mostly boot 'puppy style' where changes are lost at shutdown, unless I specifically run the save script which I tend to do pretty rarely now. The way I have it set up the root partition is also the save partition, with empty filesytem.squashfs (everything in the 'savefile'), which means I can boot as though a fully installed system also (that I do to perform updates).

Everythings taken care of by Debian (assuming you're content to stick to just their repositories/versions).

I'm somewhat hoping that upon migration to Stretch it will be just a natural progression (simple apt-get dist-upgrade from Jessie), but suspect perhaps not and that the single 'save2flash' script might have to be changed.

Stability, functionality and updates wise, works really well for me. More time for physical back and hip workouts (walks, bike rides etc.).
mcewanw

PostPosted: Tue 24 Jan 2017, 19:50    Post subject: Using xhippo in XenialDog  

Just a quick drop by. I was missing my modified compilation of xhippo simple playlist control program not being in my older XenialDog32 install, so I used the pet from below and converted it to a deb in XenialDog32:

xhippo-3.5mod008-gtk2-i486.pet from

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=86753

Note that there is also a version of xhippo deb for 64bit systems in that post.

Had a problem with it not playing mp4 videos, however. Turned out to be something to do with XenialDog32 actually using some gnome-mplayer start-up script: /usr/local/apps/gnome-mplayer-1.0.6/start-mplayer. Not sure what that does, so made an easy fix for xhippo to work by just using XenialDog supplied mpv player instead. It's actually my commandline player script /usr/local/bin/xhplay which does the underneath donkey-work for xhippo GUI, so the 'fix/workaround' is to replace line 102 of /usr/local/bin/xhplay from:

Code:
     exec mplayer -really-quiet -geometry -32-64 "$filename" # npg - xhplay

to

Code:
     exec mpv -really-quiet -geometry -32-64 "$filename" # npg - xhplay

Of course there may be a way of modifying the ...gnome-mplayer..../start-mplayer script to get mplayer working straight from commandline (e.g. mplayer filename.mp4 doesn't seem to find the file whilst mpv filename.mp4 does) but probably not worth the bother since mpv fine. Also, I haven't checked the newer XenialDog32 (or XenialDog64) iso yet to see if any changes relevant to this matter.

Final note: in older XenialDog32 converting pet2deb had problem with fix provided by fredx181 in post below (maybe fixed in new iso?):

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=914251#914251

Have a good rest Fred, and many thanks.

Cheers, William

backi

PostPosted: Wed 25 Jan 2017, 10:34    Post subject:  

Hi !
Installed it to a Usb Stick in Porteus Boot mode with save on Exit/Demand.

Menu.lst :

title Xenial Dog - porteus-boot - save on EXIT changes=/XENIALDOG/changes folder
find --set-root /XENIALDOG/casper/vmlinuz
kernel /XENIALDOG/casper/vmlinuz from=/XENIALDOG noauto changes=EXIT:/XENIALDOG/casper/ ramsize=100%
initrd /XENIALDOG/casper/initrd1.xz

Seems to work fine so far .

Only thing i changed ......removed Firefox-portable ......with :

apt-get --purge remove firefox-portable
then made a Quick Remaster .

Replaced Firefox with newest Pale Moon from here :

http://linux.palemoon.org/download/mainline/

This is what i usually do .
Downloaded palemoon tar.bz2 ......extracted it (outside the Savefile ) ....made a symlink to Folder palemoon/palemoon and save .
So i keep Pale moon outside the save Folder . The (hidden) .moonchild productions folder i keep in save Folder .

Xenial Dog is cool .

Thank you fredx and all you unnamed Supporters
Pelo

PostPosted: Tue 31 Jan 2017, 02:55    Post subject: take advantage of XenialDog to run applications
Subject description: Not yet available in Puppy Linux repository.

Once XenialDog installed (without trouble), users take advantage of it to run applications not available under Puppy Linux if you are somebody unable to compile. Or who does not want t waste leasure time learning how to do (first learn English, then learn Linux).
GCstar Main Topic
LTS, But no feed back from people, Training OS for Linux students ?

Last edited by Pelo on Wed 08 Feb 2017, 01:37; edited 3 times in total
mcewanw

PostPosted: Wed 01 Feb 2017, 03:08    Post subject: Setting system clock to display correctly using timedatectl  

Fixed timezone system clock display on dual-boot with Windows system perfectly for both pristine (clean frugal installed) XenialDog32 and XenialDog64 systems without any mucking about with any files in /etc hierarchy:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=941544#941544

mcewanw

PostPosted: Wed 08 Feb 2017, 04:25    Post subject: wps working well on XenialDog32 thus far  

wps/kingsoft-office working great so far installed to XenialDog32.

i386.deb from here:
http://wps-community.org/download.html

To complete the installation, I'm pretty sure I had to:

Code:
apt-get update
apt-get install xdg-utils

Also needed to install a few extra fonts from here:

https://github.com/so-zengtao/nginx-wps-community/blob/master/root/download/fonts/wps_symbol_fonts.zip

Using the instructions from here:

https://github.com/IamDH4/ttf-wps-fonts/blob/master/README.md

Cheers,
William

backi

PostPosted: Fri 24 Feb 2017, 05:23    Post subject:  

Hi you all !

I have a Question..... maybe a naive One.

Would it be theoretical possible to make a Xenial-Dog from another Distro .....for Example...... Bodhi Linux ?
Bodhi Linux is a Ubuntu Xenial with Moksha (Enlightenment -E17 ) Desktop .
Beautiful and slick Desktop Enviroment.
(My favorite One )

Bodhi Linux as a Dog Version .....Bodhi Linux goes the Dog ?
This is something i am dreaming about .

As i said ..... i am only dreaming Smile

But nevertheless ...it is possible to install E17 via Synaptic or get a e17.squashfs with ApToSfs and put this e17.squashsf into the casper Folder (or live Folder in case of Debian Dog ) .

From being in Jwm_Desktop :
In the hidden Folder .xsession-jwm you have to replace exec jwm with ----exec enlightenment_start----.

Reboot and you should boot into E17 Desktop .

The same works similar for Debian Dog .
It works well for me .

Cheers !

Last edited by backi on Fri 24 Feb 2017, 08:47; edited 1 time in total
belham2

PostPosted: Fri 24 Feb 2017, 08:29    Post subject:  

backi wrote:
Hi you all !

I have a Question..... maybe a naive One.

Would it be theoretical possible to make a Xenial-Dog from another Distro .....for Example...... Bodhi Linux ?
Bodhi Linux is a Ubuntu Xenial with Moksha (Enlightenment -E17 ) Desktop .
Beautiful and slick Desktop Enviroment.
(My favorite One )

Bodhi Linux as a Dog Version .....Bodhi Linux goes the Dog ?
This is something i am dreaming about .

As i said ..... i am only dreaming Smile

But nevertheless ...it is possible to install E17 via Synaptic or get a e17.squashfs with ApToSfs and put this e17.squashsf into the casper Folder.

Hi Backi,

If a goofball like me can compile Jeff's (Bodhi) great desktop environment, you can too! Because if it can be compiled, which is true of everything haha, it can be puppified! You can do it!! (just not, I believe, via Synaptic/etc but maybe an sfs (not sure)....Moksha's got to be compiled for that kernel and also take in account puppy's few quirks----for the debian-based pups, they should be able to handle it quite easily) Wink

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69050&start=2445
backi

PostPosted: Fri 24 Feb 2017, 08:51    Post subject:  

Hi belham !

Another naive Question .......Compiling ???what`s that ???........something to eat ? Smile

But nevertheless......i have installed E17 on both Xenial and Deb Dog (using ApToSfs making the e17.squashfs put it as described above in the casper or live Folder ).

I think there is almost no Difference beetween Moksha and E17 ....except for me ....in Moksha when using different Clock Modules on Desktop ....in Moksha sometimes Clock does not show arms .So i prefer E17.
It last a while to become accustomed to E17 but if you are one can see what a cool,powerful and elegant Desktop E17 is .

Tried different Desktops ......but always come back to E17 Enlightenment because of practical and esthetical Reasons .E17 can be so elegant and very customizable .

Fredx did compile Moksha and also E20 .
E20 is a bit buggie which did the Bodhi Linux Team to cause going back to stable E17 .....here are the links for Moksha and E20 Modules (Down on the side Category Desktop) :
backi

PostPosted: Fri 24 Feb 2017, 09:27    Post subject:  

Here you can find Moksha and E20 Modules from fredx :

https://github.com/DebianDog/SFSget/releases
Page 23 of 69 [1024 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, ..., 67, 68, 69 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: