Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 19 Jun 2018, 20:39
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
XenialDog (Ubuntu 16.04 'Xenial Xerus' LTS, 32-bit)
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 5 of 65 [965 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, ..., 63, 64, 65 Next
fredx181

PostPosted: Fri 06 May 2016, 03:13    Post subject:  

@Pelo

Quote:
lame was not found by XenialDog packags manager.

Found it! (see screenshot)

The choice of packages is over 53000 !

You have to click the 'Reload' button first, maybe that's the reason you couldn't find.

BTW, As I mentioned earlier: xvidcap should work now recording sound, just install it (will install newer fixed version)
Code:
apt-get update
apt-get install xvidcap

@William, yes, again Embarassed forgot to include rfkill, will be in next iso.

Fred
lame_found.jpg
 Description   lame found!!
 Filesize   99.23 KB
 Viewed   1195 Time(s)

lame_found.jpg

Pelo

PostPosted: Fri 06 May 2016, 03:31    Post subject: well, well, i will do it from apt-get.  

well, well, i will do it from apt-get.. Did you try Precord with it if recording was working ? I will check taht later, on next Sunday, and will feed back.
When i 'Taste' a new distro, I sort by date applications in /usr/share/applications. But Precord, You Tube, and wireless connection are in my check list each time.
When beginning with Puppy Linux (2012), Lucid 528 had no sound.
Wireless now is needed because sun shines as soon as 9 AM outside, in my terrasse (translation will arrive)
Saturday : Precord and Xvidcap 1.1.7a now serviceable
for reporters.jpg
 Description   everything is correct audio and video / xvidcap/ precord/ alsamixer
 Filesize   62.65 KB
 Viewed   924 Time(s)

for reporters.jpg

Last edited by Pelo on Sat 07 May 2016, 12:13; edited 2 times in total
fredx181

PostPosted: Fri 06 May 2016, 06:56    Post subject:  

Pelo wrote:
Did you try Precord with it if recording was working ?

Yes, it works with mp3 recording, only thing is that I'm always having trouble to find the right setup in alsamixer.
It depends on soundcard probably but anyway see screenshot how I set up record from soundcard (stereo-mix)

Fred
Precord-stereo-mix-recording.jpg
 Description   Precord works nicely!
 Filesize   79.96 KB
 Viewed   1171 Time(s)

Precord-stereo-mix-recording.jpg

mcewanw

PostPosted: Fri 06 May 2016, 08:43    Post subject:  

NOTE: See last method (/etc/modprobe.d/alsa.conf) by gentoo for my preferred 'fix'.

mcewanw wrote:
I'm currently trying to get sound working even for playback on an HP Probook 650 - doesn't show any expected controls at all in alsamixer - just three entries named SPDIF, SPDIF2,SPDIF3. I am just about to google about the machine - so maybe the actual sound card hasn't been automatically selected... who knows...!

William

EDIT: My sound issue is actually occurring in currently installed MintPup, but I think same would be the case for XenialDog on this HP ProBook 650. It's getting late here so haven't had time to try possible fix. Seems the machine is using HDMI device by default rather than correct PCH device, so I'll need an asoundrc to fix that according to:

https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2015/01/msg00562.html

Tomorrow will tell...

So, problem was HP ProBook 650 has HDMI audio as default audio hw:0,0
One side-effect of that is that the tray volumeicon doesn't appear on boot cos it uses default audio and needs it to be PCM one.
I therefore needed to PCM audio as default instead. It's Intel audio card. First attempt, creating the following /etc/asound.conf seemed to fix the issue:

Code:
pcm.!default {
 type hw
 card 1
 device 0
}
ctl.!default {
 type hw
 card 1
}

Mplayer, for example, now played sound okay, and Precord would work though I think I had to click the Precord audio checkbox to select card 1

But life is oddly never so easy cos I discovered that HTML5 videos on YouTube wouldn't play audio (I read that Flash audio will work but I didn't have Flash installed). Then I found an alternative fix, which was to put the following at the end of my menu.lst kernel line:

Code:
snd-hda-intel.index=1,0

But IMPORTANT... to get that working I had to also totally remove the file /etc/asound.conf

So now audio seems to work fine on this HP Probook 650 machine with every app I've tried now including HTML5 youtube videos. Still, I don't consider this situation perfect since I don't like that it is so fussy as to require complete removal of that /etc/asound.conf file. What if I want to use asound.conf to modify other alsa properties??? But maybe that won't be a problem as long as I'm not changing default sound card in there - I haven't tried since too busy with other priorities now.

The google links I predominantly relied on for the above 'fix' were:

http://docs.slackware.com/howtos:hardware:sound_problems_on_slackware

and

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/ALSA#HTML5_does_not_play_in_the_Firefox_browser

EDIT:

Note that that gentoo link gives another method to fix the HTML5 audio problem which I have now tested as also playing HTML5 audio and mplayer etc correctly.

I think this /etc/modprobe.d/alsa.conf solution may be the best one here, so I am adopting this method for now:

Quote:
Laptops with HDMI audio output

Some laptops with an HDMI audio output will map /proc/asound/card0 as HDMI and therefore makes it default output device for applications as stated above in the Firefox section. Another way to remap is to add these two lines to /etc/modprobe.d/alsa.conf
Code:

# Set this to the correct number of cards.
options snd cards_limit=2

options snd-hda-intel id=PCH index=0
options snd-hda-intel id=HDMI index=1

Verify the order change by checking this command
user $cat /proc/asound/cards

Note that the command:

Code:
aplay -l

(note that's a small ell as the command argument) can be used to list all your audio cards (PCM and HDMI).

William

Last edited by mcewanw on Sat 07 May 2016, 01:34; edited 5 times in total
Pelo

PostPosted: Fri 06 May 2016, 23:59    Post subject: Precord works Unless exception.
Subject description: PF6 in alsamixer allows you to choose card for recording

well weel well. Precord works Unless exception. I reintroduce my pendrive to day, to go further with XenialDog ( which promises more than PuppY Linux)
Hardware and sounds cards are the step forward. If interested PF6 in alsamixer allows you to choose card for recording if you are linked to a tape player, for instance.
Alexandra, video collection manager is one of my missing apps because not compiled in Puppy. I use it with windows 7. But that is a pity, because alexandra is a Linux apps.

stemsee

PostPosted: Sat 07 May 2016, 07:30    Post subject:  

Has anyone had any success getting skype up and running?
I stil have problems using frisbee ... but wifi-connect works much better than frisbee for me!
backi

PostPosted: Sat 07 May 2016, 09:38    Post subject: automatic load squashsf and sfs files at startup  

Hi everyone!
How to automatic load squashsf and sfs files at startup?
Can anyone give me exact advise ?

Thanks in advance .
Pelo

PostPosted: Sat 07 May 2016, 11:06    Post subject: info lame installed  

info lame installed, i can record with my XenialDog.
For colleagues, Frisbee works perfectly at home on my computer. That does not mean it will work on yours. But nowadays at least one of tools provided works.
About Skype, sorry, never used.
SFS at startup, i should have known with Puppy Linux, simply not unmount it when shutdown, but these is not a Puppy. I am interested in the answer, however.
Hum, previous page, the teacher says that You can also stick your squashfs files (which should have that extension) inside your casper folder and that causes them to be auto-loaded at boot time. That would be your solution,

Last edited by Pelo on Sat 07 May 2016, 11:26; edited 1 time in total
fredx181

PostPosted: Sat 07 May 2016, 11:25    Post subject:  

stemsee wrote:
Has anyone had any success getting skype up and running?

Yes, probably the easiest is to load this skype_apulse squashfs I made:
https://googledrive.com/host/0ByBgCDlZZ8K5YlNRZGlnbDFLY3c/skype_apulse-xendog.squashfs

Also the official way works for me:
Download from skype website the .deb for precise (12.04), then in terminal:
Code:
apt-get update
dpkg -i skype-ubuntu-precise_4.3.0.37-1_i386.deb
apt-get -f install

Then, 2 options:
1)
Install 'apulse' package:
Code:
apt-get install apulse

And run skype from terminal:
Code:
apulse skype

2) (takes much more diskspace)
Install pulseaudio:
Code:
apt-get install pulseaudio

Then from terminal:
Code:
pulseaudio --start # gives a root warning, just ignore that

Fred
backi

PostPosted: Sat 07 May 2016, 11:51    Post subject: automatic load squashsf and sfs files at startup  

" Hum, previous page, the teacher says that You can also stick your squashfs files (which should have that extension) inside your casper folder and that causes them to be auto-loaded at boot time. That would be your solution,

Thanks Pelo .....works fine !

Could not load Sfs files....but after renaming extension sfs to squashsf ....that did the trick .

Just anotherQuestion......does this affect Ram-space somehow when sfs or squashfs files are just loaded but not executed ?

I am using Mintpup .
I like this Mintpup more..... from day to day .
I am really impressed .This concept is Fucking cool!
A sophisticated Cross-Over .

Its a pity that Xenial-Dog does not work with my Wifi.
I am quite interested in this new Ubuntu " Snap Package " thing .Anybody some experience with this ?

http://www.howtogeek.com/252047/how-to-install-and-manage-snap-packages-on-ubuntu-16.04-lts/
My humble blessings to all the Developers . Laughing
The Best of two worlds .

Have a nice day everybody !
fredx181

PostPosted: Sat 07 May 2016, 15:48    Post subject:  

Hi All, backi

Some reports are about Frisbee not working for wifi connection.
Can anyone who has this problem test if wicd works?
To install :
Code:
apt-get install wicd-gtk

Then run from terminal:
Code:
wicd-gtk

And see if you could connect to wireless network?

If it works, to make wicd appear in the system-tray, edit ~/.config/openbox/autostart.sh like this:

Code:
#frisbee-tray &
wicd-gtk --tray &

(comment out frisbee and uncomment wicd-gtk)

And exit X, and then type startx at console
or reboot with save

@backi

Quote:
Just anotherQuestion......does this affect Ram-space somehow when sfs or squashfs files are just loaded but not executed ?

Yes, it will increase RAM usage a little, the more squashfs files are loaded.
(well, that's what I experienced)

Fred
mcewanw

PostPosted: Sat 07 May 2016, 20:29    Post subject:  

fredx181 wrote:

Some reports are about Frisbee not working for wifi connection.

Fred

Just remember that Frisbee does call rfkill prior to trying to find wifi connections Fred. Some computers definitely need that, so could be the simple problem that rfkill utility is currently missing from XenialDog iso. I always find Frisbee very reliable on all computers (many) I've tried, but with rfkill installed on system...

William
Pelo

PostPosted: Sun 08 May 2016, 04:30    Post subject: Alexandra now running on my computer
Subject description: 904K alexandra_1.5.0_ubuntu-wily-i386.deb 904K

I think i am the first guy to run Alexandra with Linux ! Thanks to XenialDog.
904K alexandra_1.5.0_ubuntu-wily-i386.deb
Dependencies are needed, but the main interest is that i can use it without launching Window 7.

Yes you can Wine, i tested that, but Wine is ridiculous to use if your Windows 7 is still alive, Why enter by Wine would be clever ?
Alexandra 1.5.0 runs pure Linux, no need of Wine. Razz now.

Xvidcap or Simple Screen Recorder Idea , Avidemux, Videocut, and Openshot allow the cameraman to cut, copy and glue his movies, on rainy sundays. Alexandra will manage them.
Alexandra.jpg
 Description   Alexandra will manage your videos and launch them (Qt5 application)
 Filesize   55.01 KB
 Viewed   692 Time(s)

Alexandra.jpg

Last edited by Pelo on Mon 09 May 2016, 19:26; edited 6 times in total
mcewanw

PostPosted: Sun 08 May 2016, 04:47    Post subject: Re: Alexandra now running on my computer  

Pelo wrote:
I think i am the first guy to run Alexandra with Linux ! Thanks to XenialDog.

Looks like a nice app and I see it is native linux app - not needing wine?

William
mcewanw

PostPosted: Sun 08 May 2016, 04:59    Post subject: Re: automatic load squashsf and sfs files at startup  

backi wrote:
"
I am quite interested in this new Ubuntu " Snap Package " thing .Anybody some experience with this ?

I took a look at the link you gave. Mind you 120 MB download for a Ubuntu Calculator was a bit frightening! Useful in snap packages apparently being self-contained though, albeit with size trade-off since containing 'all' needed libs it seems.

William
Page 5 of 65 [965 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, ..., 63, 64, 65 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: