XenialDog (Ubuntu 16.04 'Xenial Xerus' LTS, 32-bit)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
fredx181

#61 Post by fredx181 »

@Pelo
lame was not found by XenialDog packags manager.
Found it! (see screenshot)

The choice of packages is over 53000 !

You have to click the 'Reload' button first, maybe that's the reason you couldn't find.

BTW, As I mentioned earlier: xvidcap should work now recording sound, just install it (will install newer fixed version)

Code: Select all

apt-get update
apt-get install xvidcap
@William, yes, again :oops: forgot to include rfkill, will be in next iso.

Fred
Attachments
lame_found.jpg
lame found!!
(99.23 KiB) Downloaded 1401 times

Pelo

well, well, i will do it from apt-get.

#62 Post by Pelo »

well, well, i will do it from apt-get.. Did you try Precord with it if recording was working ? I will check taht later, on next Sunday, and will feed back.
When i 'Taste' a new distro, I sort by date applications in /usr/share/applications. But Precord, You Tube, and wireless connection are in my check list each time.
When beginning with Puppy Linux (2012), Lucid 528 had no sound.
Wireless now is needed because sun shines as soon as 9 AM outside, in my terrasse (translation will arrive)
Saturday : Precord and Xvidcap 1.1.7a now serviceable
Attachments
for reporters.jpg
everything is correct audio and video / xvidcap/ precord/ alsamixer
(62.65 KiB) Downloaded 1094 times
Last edited by Pelo on Sat 07 May 2016, 16:13, edited 2 times in total.

fredx181

#63 Post by fredx181 »

Pelo wrote:Did you try Precord with it if recording was working ?
Yes, it works with mp3 recording, only thing is that I'm always having trouble to find the right setup in alsamixer.
It depends on soundcard probably but anyway see screenshot how I set up record from soundcard (stereo-mix)

Fred
Attachments
Precord-stereo-mix-recording.jpg
Precord works nicely!
(79.96 KiB) Downloaded 1377 times

mcewanw

#64 Post by mcewanw »

NOTE: See last method (/etc/modprobe.d/alsa.conf) by gentoo for my preferred 'fix'.
mcewanw wrote:I'm currently trying to get sound working even for playback on an HP Probook 650 - doesn't show any expected controls at all in alsamixer - just three entries named SPDIF, SPDIF2,SPDIF3. I am just about to google about the machine - so maybe the actual sound card hasn't been automatically selected... who knows...!

William

EDIT: My sound issue is actually occurring in currently installed MintPup, but I think same would be the case for XenialDog on this HP ProBook 650. It's getting late here so haven't had time to try possible fix. Seems the machine is using HDMI device by default rather than correct PCH device, so I'll need an asoundrc to fix that according to:

https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/20 ... 00562.html

Tomorrow will tell...
So, problem was HP ProBook 650 has HDMI audio as default audio hw:0,0
One side-effect of that is that the tray volumeicon doesn't appear on boot cos it uses default audio and needs it to be PCM one.
I therefore needed to PCM audio as default instead. It's Intel audio card. First attempt, creating the following /etc/asound.conf seemed to fix the issue:

pcm.!default {
 type hw
 card 1
 device 0
}
ctl.!default {
 type hw
 card 1
}
Mplayer, for example, now played sound okay, and Precord would work though I think I had to click the Precord audio checkbox to select card 1

But life is oddly never so easy cos I discovered that HTML5 videos on YouTube wouldn't play audio (I read that Flash audio will work but I didn't have Flash installed). Then I found an alternative fix, which was to put the following at the end of my menu.lst kernel line:

snd-hda-intel.index=1,0
But IMPORTANT... to get that working I had to also totally remove the file /etc/asound.conf

So now audio seems to work fine on this HP Probook 650 machine with every app I've tried now including HTML5 youtube videos. Still, I don't consider this situation perfect since I don't like that it is so fussy as to require complete removal of that /etc/asound.conf file. What if I want to use asound.conf to modify other alsa properties??? But maybe that won't be a problem as long as I'm not changing default sound card in there - I haven't tried since too busy with other priorities now.

The google links I predominantly relied on for the above 'fix' were:

http://docs.slackware.com/howtos:hardwa ... _slackware

and

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/ALSA#HTML5 ... ox_browser

EDIT:

Note that that gentoo link gives another method to fix the HTML5 audio problem which I have now tested as also playing HTML5 audio and mplayer etc correctly.

I think this /etc/modprobe.d/alsa.conf solution may be the best one here, so I am adopting this method for now:

Laptops with HDMI audio output

Some laptops with an HDMI audio output will map /proc/asound/card0 as HDMI and therefore makes it default output device for applications as stated above in the Firefox section. Another way to remap is to add these two lines to /etc/modprobe.d/alsa.conf

# Set this to the correct number of cards.
options snd cards_limit=2

options snd-hda-intel id=PCH index=0
options snd-hda-intel id=HDMI index=1
Verify the order change by checking this command
user $cat /proc/asound/cards
Note that the command:

aplay -l
(note that's a small ell as the command argument) can be used to list all your audio cards (PCM and HDMI).

William
Last edited by mcewanw on Sat 07 May 2016, 05:34, edited 5 times in total.
github mcewanw

Pelo

Precord works Unless exception.

#65 Post by Pelo »

well weel well. Precord works Unless exception. I reintroduce my pendrive to day, to go further with XenialDog ( which promises more than PuppY Linux)
Hardware and sounds cards are the step forward. If interested PF6 in alsamixer allows you to choose card for recording if you are linked to a tape player, for instance.
Alexandra, video collection manager is one of my missing apps because not compiled in Puppy. I use it with windows 7. But that is a pity, because alexandra is a Linux apps.

stemsee

#66 Post by stemsee »

Has anyone had any success getting skype up and running?
I stil have problems using frisbee ... but wifi-connect works much better than frisbee for me!

backi

automatic load squashsf and sfs files at startup

#67 Post by backi »

Hi everyone!
How to automatic load squashsf and sfs files at startup?
Can anyone give me exact advise ?

Thanks in advance .

Pelo

info lame installed

#68 Post by Pelo »

info lame installed, i can record with my XenialDog.
For colleagues, Frisbee works perfectly at home on my computer. That does not mean it will work on yours. But nowadays at least one of tools provided works.
About Skype, sorry, never used.
SFS at startup, i should have known with Puppy Linux, simply not unmount it when shutdown, but these is not a Puppy. I am interested in the answer, however.
Hum, previous page, the teacher says that You can also stick your squashfs files (which should have that extension) inside your casper folder and that causes them to be auto-loaded at boot time. That would be your solution,
Last edited by Pelo on Sat 07 May 2016, 15:26, edited 1 time in total.

fredx181

#69 Post by fredx181 »

stemsee wrote:Has anyone had any success getting skype up and running?
Yes, probably the easiest is to load this skype_apulse squashfs I made:
https://googledrive.com/host/0ByBgCDlZZ ... g.squashfs

Also the official way works for me:
Download from skype website the .deb for precise (12.04), then in terminal:

apt-get update
dpkg -i skype-ubuntu-precise_4.3.0.37-1_i386.deb
apt-get -f install
Then, 2 options:
1)
Install 'apulse' package:

apt-get install apulse
And run skype from terminal:

apulse skype
2) (takes much more diskspace)
Install pulseaudio:

apt-get install pulseaudio
Then from terminal:

pulseaudio --start # gives a root warning, just ignore that

backi

automatic load squashsf and sfs files at startup

#70 Post by backi »

" Hum, previous page, the teacher says that You can also stick your squashfs files (which should have that extension) inside your casper folder and that causes them to be auto-loaded at boot time. That would be your solution,

Thanks Pelo .....works fine !

Could not load Sfs files....but after renaming extension sfs to squashsf ....that did the trick .

Just anotherQuestion......does this affect Ram-space somehow when sfs or squashfs files are just loaded but not executed ?

I am using Mintpup .
I like this Mintpup more..... from day to day .
I am really impressed .This concept is Fucking cool!
A sophisticated Cross-Over .

Its a pity that Xenial-Dog does not work with my Wifi.
I am quite interested in this new Ubuntu " Snap Package " thing .Anybody some experience with this ?

http://www.howtogeek.com/252047/how-to- ... 16.04-lts/
My humble blessings to all the Developers . :lol:
The Best of two worlds .

Have a nice day everybody !

fredx181

#71 Post by fredx181 »

Hi All, backi

Some reports are about Frisbee not working for wifi connection.
Can anyone who has this problem test if wicd works?
To install :

apt-get install wicd-gtk
Then run from terminal:

wicd-gtk
And see if you could connect to wireless network?

If it works, to make wicd appear in the system-tray, edit ~/.config/openbox/autostart.sh like this:

#frisbee-tray &
wicd-gtk --tray &
(comment out frisbee and uncomment wicd-gtk)

And exit X, and then type startx at console
or reboot with save

@backi
Just anotherQuestion......does this affect Ram-space somehow when sfs or squashfs files are just loaded but not executed ?
Yes, it will increase RAM usage a little, the more squashfs files are loaded.
(well, that's what I experienced)

Fred

mcewanw

#72 Post by mcewanw »

fredx181 wrote: Some reports are about Frisbee not working for wifi connection.

Fred
Just remember that Frisbee does call rfkill prior to trying to find wifi connections Fred. Some computers definitely need that, so could be the simple problem that rfkill utility is currently missing from XenialDog iso. I always find Frisbee very reliable on all computers (many) I've tried, but with rfkill installed on system...

William
github mcewanw

Pelo

Alexandra now running on my computer

#73 Post by Pelo »

I think i am the first guy to run Alexandra with Linux ! Thanks to XenialDog.
904K alexandra_1.5.0_ubuntu-wily-i386.deb
Dependencies are needed, but the main interest is that i can use it without launching Window 7.

Yes you can Wine, i tested that, but Wine is ridiculous to use if your Windows 7 is still alive, Why enter by Wine would be clever ?
Alexandra 1.5.0 runs pure Linux, no need of Wine. :P now.

Xvidcap or Simple Screen Recorder :idea: , Avidemux, Videocut, and Openshot allow the cameraman to cut, copy and glue his movies, on rainy sundays. Alexandra will manage them.
Attachments
Alexandra.jpg
Alexandra will manage your videos and launch them (Qt5 application)
(55.01 KiB) Downloaded 891 times
Last edited by Pelo on Mon 09 May 2016, 23:26, edited 6 times in total.

mcewanw

Re: Alexandra now running on my computer

#74 Post by mcewanw »

Pelo wrote:I think i am the first guy to run Alexandra with Linux ! Thanks to XenialDog.
Looks like a nice app and I see it is native linux app - not needing wine?

William
github mcewanw

mcewanw

Re: automatic load squashsf and sfs files at startup

#75 Post by mcewanw »

backi wrote:"
I am quite interested in this new Ubuntu " Snap Package " thing .Anybody some experience with this ?
I took a look at the link you gave. Mind you 120 MB download for a Ubuntu Calculator was a bit frightening! Useful in snap packages apparently being self-contained though, albeit with size trade-off since containing 'all' needed libs it seems.

William
github mcewanw

backi

#76 Post by backi »

Hi fredx181 !
Regarding wireless not working.

I grabbed wicd-gtk---- via Apt2Sfs in MintPup.

Then dropped the wicd-gtk.squasfs module into Xenial-Dog's Casper/base folder installed on Usb- Flash.
In MintPup it works flawless this way.

Booted into Xenial-Dog expecting it to load like it did in Mintpup .

Result :
Found wicd-gtk in Menue
Started
Scanned for Networks
Found my network (Frisbee does not )
Configured it with Password ....
the whole procedure started .....but finally did not connect . (in MintPup it does )

Strange !

fredx181

#77 Post by fredx181 »

Hi backi,
I grabbed wicd-gtk---- via Apt2Sfs in MintPup
If I understand well you use wicd-gtk squashfs module on Xenialdog created in Mintpup.
If so, I'd strongly advice not to do it like that, Mintpup is build on an older version of Ubuntu, so the libraries/binaries are different.
You might be lucky in such a case that it works in some way, but better install wicd-gtk on Xenialdog:

apt-get install wicd-gtk
Reboot with save and see if you can connect with wicd-gtk

Also, maybe better to try first: Did you try to install "rfkill" and see if frisbee work properly after that?
It's dependency of frisbee, but I forgot to include it in the iso.

apt-get install rfkill
Reboot with save and see if you can connect with frisbee.

Edit:
As a side note: I'd advice also not to use a squashfs module for wicd-gtk as it's meant to run as daemon at boot, use apt2sfs only for applications that not depend on starting at boot.

Fred

Pelo

Alexandra was needing wine until XenialDog released

#78 Post by Pelo »

"Looks like a nice app and I see it is native linux app - not needing wine?"
Alexandra was needing wine until XenialDog released. Now the package manager deals with what is needed. You have nothing to do, just waiting two minutes downloads are finished.
mcewanw, a topic now will exist in Multimedia section, not to disturb here people with specific problems (or congratulations :) ) about XenialDog
However i will continue to feed back here successful installation of new stuff, unavailable in Puppy Linux (always my favourite Linux, if developers don't stop compiling pets)

Mutimedia : Topic for Alexandra for people interested in Video editing and managing.

Pelo

About Frisbee : working nice at home with Xenialdog.

#79 Post by Pelo »

About Frisbee : working nice at home with Xenialdog.
Nevertheless i think an alternative must be kept, because sometimes Frisbee does not find at first run,
Wicd is one of them. But usual wizards in Puppy (sorry) could help for first settings (depending on computers, geographical location and dates, i repeat dates)
So i have just install Wicd , as a second tool in case of frisbee failures.
Yesterday, the network was appearing, i connected on a profile, and when arrived on the browser : No web available.
PM message to developers : Wireless if for computing outside home, even if it is useful at home to go here and there without an ethernet cable.
So programs must be done for outside usage, far from your ADSL box.. and able to connect in trains, in bars, or elsewhere to Public Wifi stations..
Some of puppy-Builders even don't have wireless at home (no pendrive too) and they ignore why we should need several tools to connect.
Keymap Fr France : during the session my changes in etc are efficient, even at reboot. A detail, at shutdown, exit, a french typewriter would have to type stqrtx to return in the session or pozeroff to stop computing. Some newbies or housemaids ignore what letters to use an their azertuiop keyboard. A definitive solution would be more suitable.

fredx181

#80 Post by fredx181 »

Pelo wrote:Keymap Fr France : during the session my changes in etc are efficient, even at reboot. A detail, at shutdown, exit, a french typewriter would have to type stqrtx to return in the session or pozeroff to stop computing
No need to edit the file /etc/default/keyboard.
It can be set from Menu > Settings > Keyboard Layout (see screenshot)

Fred
Attachments
keyboard-config_619x457.png
set keyboard
(85.35 KiB) Downloaded 1866 times