XenialDog (Ubuntu 16.04 'Xenial Xerus' LTS, 32-bit)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
saintless

Re: Just Installed XenialDog_32bit-openbox_jwm-2017-01.iso

#781 Post by saintless »

duckguy wrote:^copying data to RAM this may take some time ...
^(1 module left)

The above text appears at around 50 seconds and then it hangs there for I think three or four minutes.
The slow boot comes from optical drive read/copy speed. It is much slower compared to hard drive or usb drive frugal install.
If you boot from CD/DVD use always copy to ram, otherwise the system will respond slow because it has to read the CD/DVD every time you start some programs. I doub't it will help but try to add edd=off at the end of your boot code pressing Tab to edit the menu.
Maybe if you burn different CD/DVD brand will make some boot speed change. If it doesn't the only option is to test different DVD drive if you can. But still the boot process will be slower compared to hard drive frugal install.
Just to compare the speed you can try also casper-boot copy to RAM menu entry.

duckguy

Re: Just Installed XenialDog_32bit-openbox_jwm-2017-01.iso

#782 Post by duckguy »

saintless wrote: ... slow boot comes from optical drive read/copy speed. ... compared to hard drive or usb drive frugal install. ... try to add edd=off at the end of your boot code pressing Tab to edit ... different CD/DVD brand will make some boot speed change ... to compare the speed you can try also casper-boot copy to RAM menu entry.
Thanks. The media I'm using is a CD-RW. The reason being, when I bought them, I was thinking of trying out some of the live CD "hot" versions of Puppy that save to CD. So those are the discs I've been using.

Also, I have a flash drive, that I'm not using. Maybe this would be a possibility.

I'll try the "edd" command, next time I boot the OS. Also, I haven't tried the "casper-boot" option yet, so that'll be another prospect for me to try.

Thanks so very much for the suggestions. B'H.

Pelo

Can we use grub4dos with Xenialdog ?

#783 Post by Pelo »

"Also, I have a flash drive, that I'm not using. Maybe this would be a possibility." Of course it will be much faster than what is shown on your video. Even from a CD or DVD something is wrong. Let devs watch video and give their feed-back.
Furthermore, it'is so fast to install an ISO on a pendrive, 5 minutes usaually are enough. I don't understand why Linux guys loose time burning Cds or DVDs. I Burn CDs when i am afraid that a distro disappear. because his dev has jumped to new deal. It's just a remark, from an user. Everybody does as he likes.
Can we use grub4dos with Xenialdog ?
My pendrives are multiboot, Ok with FatDog64, but Xenial .. :?:
Attachments
casper.jpg
Contents
(72.77 KiB) Downloaded 246 times
Last edited by Pelo on Fri 01 Sep 2017, 08:50, edited 2 times in total.

wiak

Re: Can we use grub4dos with Xenialdog ?

#784 Post by wiak »

Pelo wrote: Can we use grub4dos with Xenialdog ?
grub4dos is what most of us use to boot xenialdog, Pelo. But I'm almost certain I saw Fred explain to you how to boot xenialdog with straight grub4dos already?

wiak

Pelo

almost

#785 Post by Pelo »

almost.
Fredx181, should i missed some explanations from you.. Searching.. ?
Most of people use Grub4dos for XenialDog :!: and i am unable to do it :(
Wiak, join the menu.lst to use, if you pleeeease..

fredx181

#786 Post by fredx181 »

duckguy wrote:The media I'm using is a CD-RW
Well, that explains the slow copy to ram, I usually boot frugal, but tried now booting Xenialdog from DVD. Copy to RAM took 35 sec, total boot time was 1:20
Pelo wrote:Fredx181, should i missed some explanations from you.. Searching.. ?
Xenialdog Wiki:
https://github.com/DebianDog/xenialdog/wiki

Btw, I really thought you managed already long time ago.

Fred

rockedge

#787 Post by rockedge »

Question: I have XenialDog up and running from A HDD, USB stick and a version on USB HDD all good. BUT xenialdog will boot but the display is completely smeared,torn and in general unusable. I can drop out and use the commandline to reboot.
On all my other machines no problem...so how can I get the windows manager to start in jvm to see if that will work. I believe the machine with the messed up screen has a 256M ATI X1300 graphic/video card.

any insight how to get xenialdog running a windows manager on this type of machine?

duckguy

Saving Sessions - Save2flash Command

#788 Post by duckguy »

Hello,

I tried the "save2flash" command, as explained in the xenialdog Wiki. We are told to open the terminal window, and simply type the command. I tried this. Xenialpup squawked at me with a disappointing dialog box which said "Not booted with the 'changes=EXIT:/' option."

When I didn't come out with the expected result, I came to the place with the answers. The Puppy Linux Discussion Forum.

Wouldn't it be easy if there were a screen button or application in the menu that could be selected to configure the OS to save a session either periodically or immediately. I know Tahrpup has one?

I looked for it in the menu system, but maybe I overlooked it. Does anyone know why I am getting this error box? Maybe I can save without using the Terminal?

Thanks in advance, B'H.
Attachments
2017-08-31-XenialPup-save2flash001.png
Save2flash command with error message result. B'H.
(61.82 KiB) Downloaded 98 times

backi

#789 Post by backi »

Hi duckguy !
I tried the "save2flash" command, as explained in the xenialdog Wiki. We are told to open the terminal window, and simply type the command. I tried this. Xenialpup squawked at me with a disappointing dialog box which said "Not booted with the 'changes=EXIT:/' option."
When I didn't come out with the expected result, I came to the place with the answers. The Puppy Linux Discussion Forum.

Wouldn't it be easy if there were a screen button or application in the menu that could be selected to configure the OS to save a session either periodically or immediately. I know Tahrpup has one?
I am just experienced with Grub4dos.
It all depends on your Grub4dos menu.lst .
It is not a good idea to use a Cd or Dvd in my Opinion.
Not much people here are experienced with booting from Cd/Dvd .
Do us a favor.
Why don`t you use a Usb Stick or put it on a Partition on HardDisk to make a frugal install .Doing a frugal install like in Puppy with " save only on demand" I think it would be better .

Step by Step.
Make a backup from your old menu.lst

1.Extract the Xenial Iso to get the casper folder .

2.Put this casper Folder in a Folder named for Example XENIALDOG on the device you want to boot your system from.... a Usb-Stick formatted with ext4 or to a HardDisk with Linux Partition (best ext4 would be good .

3. Apply Grub4dos to your device

4.Modify your resulting menu.lst .

Make it look like mine... (it does work when booting from either Flash-Drive or HardDrive Partition )

title XENIALDOG- porteus-boot - save on EXIT changes=/XENIALDOG/changes folder
find --set-root /XENIALDOG/casper/vmlinuz
kernel /XENIALDOG/casper/vmlinuz from=/XENIALDOG noauto changes=EXIT:/XENIALDOG/casper/ ramsize=80%
initrd /XENIALDOG/casper/initrd1.xz

title XENIALDOG- porteus-boot- Always Fresh
kernel /XENIALDOG/casper/vmlinuz from=/XENIALDOG nomagic base_only norootcopy

title XENIALDOG- porteus-boot -automatic save- changes=/XENIALDOG/changes folder
kernel /XENIALDOG/casper/vmlinuz noauto from=/XENIALDOG changes=/XENIALDOG/casper/

That means:
1. Booting with title "title XENIALDOG- porteus-boot - save on EXIT changes=/XENIALDOG/changes folder "

Booted with first menu title.... changes Folder will be created automatically.
So symlink save2flash from /usr/bin/save2flash to Desktop .Now you can save on demand with save2flash ... save or no save also possible at shutdown.No automatic Saves during Session....only on Demand .

2. Booting " title XENIALDOG- porteus-boot- Always Fresh "
Means :
Booting without savefolder (fresh)

3. Booting with title "XENIALDOG- porteus-boot --automatic save- changes=/XENIALDOG/changes folder"
will save each change automatically to Flash-Drive or Partition directly.
Last edited by backi on Fri 01 Sep 2017, 13:51, edited 1 time in total.

duckguy

Saving Sessions - Save2flash Command

#790 Post by duckguy »

backi wrote:Hi duckguy ! ... a favor. ... Why don`t you use a Usb Stick ... Step by Step. ... Make a backup from your old menu.lst ... save each change automatically to Flash-Drive or Partition directly.
Backi, OK. I will try it. The only reason I haven't been booting from USB is that I've not had success with it in the past. I'm reformatting my USB flashdrive.

I am ready to backup from my old menu.lst file. I didn't know I had one! I did a file search with Pfind. Is it possible that my system might not have a "menu.lst" file? Pfind wasn't successful. Maybe my parameters weren't exclusive enough. How important is the menu.lst file?

In any case, thank you so much for the step by step list of instructions.

Also, I am making an archive of the "changes.dat" file, so that I can delete its original, from the root partition of my HD. Is it crucial that I choose a particular style of compression? I'm using "tar.xz." It took a while for the system to archive the file.

U P D A T E: OK, the flashdrive is formatted to an EXT4 partition, and I downloaded and unzipped GRUB for DOS. Then I copied the folder onto the flashdrive. I still cannot find the file you're referring to "menu.lst!!" Can I still do this without that file, since I am running XenialDog pretty well without it??

Thanks in advance, B'H.

PS: What are "Remaster Dog" and "Remaster Cow?" Are these pertinent to me at this time?

Pelo

merci backi. On test

#791 Post by Pelo »

merci backi. On test
My goal is to share my pendrive with more Puppies. XenialDog was installed alone on an 8GB pendrive
I am now as Duckguy.. XeniaDog run without Grub4dos. Why to use it ? to add puppies..
My method is to install Grub4dos using Puppy Linux from another pendrive .
Yes we can ! (à coeur vaillant rien d'impossible)

duckguy menu.lst is created when you run grub4dosconfig.. than it should be changed as backi shows us.. IMO .. i am as you, in learning process..
My italian x-upup started well. Now i reboot to lauch Xenialdog, as it is, menu.lst not modified..
Attachments
from Obprecise.jpg
Step one, then menu.lst has to be changed manually i suppose
(46.18 KiB) Downloaded 326 times
Last edited by Pelo on Fri 01 Sep 2017, 05:17, edited 2 times in total.

Pelo

menu.lst : that is the point of start

#792 Post by Pelo »

menu.lst : that is the point of start
Menu;lst created by my Puppy (sdb1) on XenialDog pendrive (sdd1)

# menu.lst produced by grub4dosconfig-v1.9.2
color blue/cyan yellow/blue white/black cyan/black
#splashimage=/splash.xpm
timeout 10
default 0

# Frugal installed Puppy

title Puppy X Upup 17.05 (sdd1/XupupRome)
find --set-root --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd /XupupRome/initrd.gz
kernel /XupupRome/vmlinuz psubdir=XupupRome pmedia=usbflash pfix=fsck
initrd /XupupRome/initrd.gz

# Full installed Linux

title Linux casper (sdd1/casper)
uuid 28C5-6025
kernel /casper/vmlinuz root=/dev/sdd1 ro
initrd /casper/initrd.lz

# Windows

saintless

#793 Post by saintless »

duckguy - since your flash drive is empty and you still have the CD boot from it and use the included frugal installer and choose grub4dos (it will install XenialDog with menu.lst and boot entries). Just make sure to choose the flash drive:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 688#773207
Strange nobody gives link to DebianDog utility or how-to thread. Read there also information what RemasterDog and RemasterCow do. The information should be valid for any DebianDog fork.
BTW I suggest to format the flash drive to ext2 (or ext4 but disable journal).

Regarding this comment:
backi wrote:It is not a good idea to use a Cd or Dvd in my Opinion.
Not much people here are experienced with booting from Cd/Dvd .
Every DebianDog and MintPup page (which XenialDog links to in the first post) suggest to test for the first time using CD/DVD. It gives you the same save options + some extra. But seems things change fast in the forks.
DVD multisession boot gives you freedom and security you can find only in Puppy linux. Not recommending this type of boot is real lost for any Dog based system.

Toni

Pelo

nothing against DVDs and CDs, apart time to burn them.

#794 Post by Pelo »

nothing against DVDs and CDs, apart time to burn them.. sometimes it was half a day. and nervous attacks :twisted:
Futhermore as Puppy versions are not LTS, but bêta, sometimes changing each week, burning is Boring.

My Grub4Dos not far from success booting..I forgot to change Sdd to sdb :!:
Of course, only one pen-drive at reboot..
root=/dev/sdd1 ro change to sdb1 !
BTW I suggest to format the flash drive to ext2 saintless told.. My pendrive was fat32 and saves done on HDD partition Linux (ext3).
If needed i will format it ext2, as you recommand
error about scripts /bin/plymouth.. :?: :?:

If backi is successful, i shall do as Backi.. nevertheless i test the process without modifs, first.

backi

#795 Post by backi »

Hi !
Tony is correct .
Try to install from Cd/Dvd with installer to Flash or HardDrive .Installer uses Grub4Dos .Casper will be placed (using installer ) on / (root) ......not into a Folder .
I proposed not using a Cd/Dvd because i am not familiar with .I think it is real slow .
The example menu.lst i gave you was for putting casper into a folder .
I can not see if you want use changes file or changes folder .Makes a differences in menu.lst .

There are many, many options .Don`t know where to start .
Better go for changes folder instead of changes file (changes.dat).
But first try Installer .
Here is a link for different Boot methods .

https://github.com/DebianDog/xenialdog/wiki

Here something for Xenial Dog in general.

https://debiandog.github.io/doglinux/zz05xenialdog.html

P.S:
Don`t give up ......one day you will succeed ....and you will see how easy it could be.
Last edited by backi on Fri 01 Sep 2017, 07:21, edited 6 times in total.

duckguy

Just Installed XenialDog_32bit-openbox_jwm-2017-01.iso

#796 Post by duckguy »

fredx181 wrote: ... that explains the slow copy to ram, I usually boot frugal, but tried now booting Xenialdog from DVD. Copy to RAM took 35 sec, total boot time was 1:20
OK so I took some advice, and accidentally discovered an issue which has been affecting the boot times. I tried each option on the splash screen and obtained surprising results. Also at the same time, I used the "install" utility on an USB drive. I got different results with the USB drive installed than without it. So I wiped the drive, and booted again, as a test. Different results again.

One major issue was the location of a system folder named "Casper." I didn't have this folder in my system. I am guessing the OS needs it to run, and the lag was caused by it searching for it. When the USB was installed with the OS, the "Casper" folder was accessible. So when I wiped the USB, my boot time went from under 2' to the absolute slowest; 8'30".

I tried removing the USB and my boot time went back to 6'30". So I copied "Casper" to the root directory of my HD. My boot time went to nearly the fastest time, 1'35", with the save file.

I made a spreadsheet of my boot times with the different settings. I loaded it into this post, so you can see the results. My fastest boot time was under 1'30". Slowest? An excruciating 8'30". B'H.
Attachments
2017-09-01-Spreadsheet.png
Spreadsheet of data results of booting with different options. Fastest time under 1'30", slowest time 8'30. B'H.
(74.16 KiB) Downloaded 188 times

saintless

#797 Post by saintless »

duckguy, the frugal installer needs to choose XenialDog iso or casper folder. Your casper folder is on the CD. Mount the CD, choose the casper folder in the installer and it will install grub4dos and casper folder with all its content on the flash drive (or hard disk drive depending of your choice).

Your different boot speed results are caused by system search for casper folder on CD, on HDD partitions, on USB connected drives. The system picks up the first found casper folder. Don't boot with the CD having the same name casper folder on USB and/or HDD partition. This why backi posted menu list with casper in another name subfolder but seems we all can't explain clear to the user what to do. Sorry about that. Read again his example how to put casper in different name folder and edit the menu.lst with the change. Or keep only one casper folder on USB or HDD partition and don't use the CD anymore because the CD will find first and boot with sure from the casper folder on your USB/HDD (which isn't a problem after you know how and where from the system actually boots BTW).

Edit: Infact it is unique option to think about. Imagine your machine has only Windows with ntfs partition and no grub4dos. Then you can make this type of frugal install:

1. Download the Dog iso and burn it to CD/DVD.
2. Copy the casper folder from the iso (CD/DVD) on your Windows ntfs partition.
3. Boot from the CD/DVD

The system will boot using initrd1.xz and vmlinuz1 from the CD/DVD but will load as HDD frugal install the module from /casper folder on your Windows NTFS partition without need to install different boot loader and mess up the Windows installation in any way.

I'm sure Puppy have something similar as bootable floppy option if I remember well.

Toni

Pelo

Wireless with Frisbee

#798 Post by Pelo »

from my side, about Grub4dos, my dual boot with a Puppy (Italian Tahrpup) is now successful, session saved on Linux partition well loaded at boot..
What is to be known is that XeniaDog is in the advanced Menu !
Just precise location of save file in advanced menu.lst /mnt/sda3/DebianDog/usbrouge.dat for my own.

Antennas ; Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL8188SU 802.11n WLAN Adapter.
Attachments
freebox.jpg
Wireless (indoor) connected.. Not tested outdoor, with dongle, in my car.
(48.53 KiB) Downloaded 640 times
Last edited by Pelo on Sat 30 Sep 2017, 14:47, edited 2 times in total.

Pelo

Saves : look inside

#799 Post by Pelo »

Strange we could not open pupsaves (.2fs) with XenialDoG. How do you do, Dogs users ?
And Does Puppy Linux could look inside .dat saves ?
Waiting for an answer

All Puppy Linux have Grub4Dos included. Use them to multiboot DOGS on your pendrives !
Attachments
casper.jpg
Casper must be at the top to be listed (not masked in XENIALDOG as here)
(56.69 KiB) Downloaded 482 times
Last edited by Pelo on Fri 01 Sep 2017, 18:02, edited 2 times in total.

duckguy

Just Installed XenialDog_32bit-openbox_jwm-2017-01.iso

#800 Post by duckguy »

saintless wrote: ... make this type of frugal install:

1. Download the Dog iso and burn it to CD/DVD.
2. Copy the casper folder from the iso (CD/DVD) on your Windows ntfs partition.
3. Boot from the CD/DVD ... Toni
Yes. If you look at my spreadsheet, this is the configuration that booted the 2nd quickest of all ten different set ups. 1'35". The fastest was "PORTEUS ALWAYS FRESH" which booted in 1'24".

I am running from the flashdrive right now, with the save file on my HD, along with the sfs modules that are being integrated into the OS.

The only thing that still isn't working yet is the swap file. Also I still need to find a way to disable the touchpad. B'H.
Attachments
2017-09-01-Spreadsheet.png
Spreadsheet of data results of booting with different options. Fastest time under 1'30", slowest time 8'30. B'H.
(74.16 KiB) Downloaded 184 times
Last edited by duckguy on Fri 01 Sep 2017, 14:23, edited 1 time in total.