XenialDog (Ubuntu 16.04 'Xenial Xerus' LTS, 32-bit)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
duckguy

menu.lst created with Grub4dos and modified

#811 Post by duckguy »

fredx181 wrote: ... 1.Create a Folder named XENIAL either on Usb-Stick (make it bootable ... 4.Apply Grub4dos to the Device you want to boot your Xenial Dog from .
5.Modify Grub4dos menu.lst as follow : ...
Hi,

I think I figured out why I do not have 'menu.lst' in my system. I am not booting from 'grub4dos'? Since 'menu.lst' is a subsidiarity of 'grub4dos'?

I think what I am booting from is called 'lilo'. I boot directly from the POST menu. So I do not run DOS. So, therefore 'grub4dos' will never work on my system? Doesn't 'grub4dos' require that DOS be running first? Or not?

In any case, I am not running DOS on this laptop. At all.

Thanks in advance, B'H.

fredx181

Re: menu.lst created with Grub4dos and modified

#812 Post by fredx181 »

duckguy wrote:
fredx181 wrote: ... 1.Create a Folder named XENIAL either on Usb-Stick (make it bootable ... 4.Apply Grub4dos to the Device you want to boot your Xenial Dog from .
5.Modify Grub4dos menu.lst as follow : ...
Hi,

I think I figured out why I do not have 'menu.lst' in my system. I am not booting from 'grub4dos'? Since 'menu.lst' is a subsidiarity of 'grub4dos'?

I think what I am booting from is called 'lilo'. I boot directly from the POST menu. So I do not run DOS. So, therefore 'grub4dos' will never work on my system? Doesn't 'grub4dos' require that DOS be running first? Or not?

In any case, I am not running DOS on this laptop. At all.

Thanks in advance, B'H.
Grub4dos does not require DOS and can be used on: ext2 ext3 ext4, NTFS and FAT32
Here's info from mikeslr and attached weeinst4Xenial to install grub4dos:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 077#950077
(in fact for Xenialdog64, but can be used for xenialdog32 also)

Fred

mikeslr

#813 Post by mikeslr »

Hi duckguy,

The difficulty you've encountered is a consequence of the problem the creators had, not with the application, but what to name it. Grub4dos is not limited to only being used with dos. In fact, it is primarily used with Linux. But unlike other bootloaders for Linux, it can also be used with dos. So the name grub4dos probably seem a good way to distinguish it.

Similar problems: Wine -- which means "Wine is not an emulator". True, its an application layer but unless you're a techie, you won't care about that distinction.

Frugal install: Not a "cut-down", incomplete, minimized version of a "Full Install". Rather, a method of frugally utilizing your storage space, enabling you to run a Puppy from a folder/directory rather than requiring an entire partition; i.e., several Puppies can be placed on the same partition, or placed on a partition also holding Windows or a different Linux operating system. The alternate name "co-existent" install never caught on.

mikesLr

Diogenes08

desktop harddrive icons

#814 Post by Diogenes08 »

I know this information is probably out there, and I am way late to the game. But it seems that whenever I try to change the gtk theme, the eject/mount icons in my desktop partition icons, disappear. I have removed lxappearance for this reason, and any other gtk switcher seems to have the same problem. Advice?

fredx181

Re: desktop harddrive icons

#815 Post by fredx181 »

Diogenes08 wrote:I know this information is probably out there, and I am way late to the game. But it seems that whenever I try to change the gtk theme, the eject/mount icons in my desktop partition icons, disappear. I have removed lxappearance for this reason, and any other gtk switcher seems to have the same problem. Advice?
Not sure if I understand well, you mean when changing icon theme ?
If so, yes indeed with some icon themes, the others are fine though.
You may want to install some other icon themes from synaptic.

Fred

stretchystretch

#816 Post by stretchystretch »

In Porteus mode, is it normal that changes-ro boot parameter is completely ignored?

fredx181

#817 Post by fredx181 »

stretchystretch wrote:In Porteus mode, is it normal that changes-ro boot parameter is completely ignored?
Yes, sorry, not all porteus cheat codes work, I have never tested changes-ro, btw, I wonder if it works in porteus distro itself (anyway can't find anything referring to it in the linuxrc init script).

Fred

fredx181

BionicDog Preview (Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver development)

#818 Post by fredx181 »

*** BionicDog Preview (Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver development) ***

Hi Everyone,

Very Alpha version because "Bionic Beaver" is in early development stage.
Also there is no custom 'BionicDog' repository yet.

I was curious if it's possible to make a 'Dog' out of it, e.g. which obstacles.
Couldn't make it work with startx, so Slim is installed (login manager)
Probably I'll open new thread for it next year when it reached stable state
So for those who already like to play with the "Beaver" :)

Code: Select all

root@live:~# cat /etc/issue
Ubuntu Bionic Beaver (development branch) \n \l
Login details:
root with password root (default automatic login)
puppy with password puppy

Specifications:
Built from an absolute minimal Ubuntu by using debootstrap.
Kernel: 4.13.0-16-generic
Choice of Boot Methods: porteus-boot and casper-boot , see options at the XenialDog Wiki
Default WM - OpenBox with lxpanel and pcmanfm providing the desktop
Default File Manager - pcmanfm with option to use rox.
Default Internet Browser - Firefox. (there is launcher for "apulse firefox", so audio works without pulseaudio installed)
Applications included: gnome-mplayer, abiword, pburn, pfind, gparted, synaptic, leafpad, quick-remaster, dogradio, peasymp3, frisbee, wex and more (but not as full featured as XenialDog)

Download (32 bit only):
ISO: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/nxy ... nicDog.iso Size: 303MB
Md5sum: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/env ... nicDog.md5

Fred
Attachments
Bionic_Beaver.jpg
The Beaver, isn't he cute :)
(79.88 KiB) Downloaded 1169 times

ally

#819 Post by ally »

backi

#820 Post by backi »

Hi Fred !
Looking for a new challenge ?

Installed the "Beaver" frugally to a Usb-Stick porteus style with my preferred changes=EXIT:/ "No save during Session " option .
Except Frisbee did not find my Networks .......so i installed Wifibox-tazpanel instead ......now posting from Bionic Dog .

76 MiB ram usage idle.

Will further test and give Feedback .

Regards !
Last edited by backi on Tue 31 Oct 2017, 17:30, edited 1 time in total.

belham2

Re: BionicDog Preview (Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver development)

#821 Post by belham2 »

fredx181 wrote:*** BionicDog Preview (Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver development) ***

Hi Everyone,

Very Alpha version because "Bionic Beaver" is in early development stage.
Also there is no custom 'BionicDog' repository yet.

I was curious if it's possible to make a 'Dog' out of it, e.g. which obstacles.
Couldn't make it work with startx, so Slim is installed (login manager)
Probably I'll open new thread for it next year when it reached stable state
So for those who already like to play with the "Beaver" :)

root@live:~# cat /etc/issue
Ubuntu Bionic Beaver (development branch) \n \l
Login details:
root with password root (default automatic login)
puppy with password puppy

Specifications:
Built from an absolute minimal Ubuntu by using debootstrap.
Kernel: 4.13.0-16-generic
Choice of Boot Methods: porteus-boot and casper-boot , see options at the XenialDog Wiki
Default WM - OpenBox with lxpanel and pcmanfm providing the desktop
Default File Manager - pcmanfm with option to use rox.
Default Internet Browser - Firefox. (there is launcher for "apulse firefox", so audio works without pulseaudio installed)
Applications included: gnome-mplayer, abiword, pburn, pfind, gparted, synaptic, leafpad, quick-remaster, dogradio, peasymp3, frisbee, wex and more (but not as full featured as XenialDog)

Download (32 bit only):
ISO: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/nxy ... nicDog.iso Size: 303MB
Md5sum: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/env ... nicDog.md5

Fred

Kids, Uncle Fred didn't actually mean what you all are thinking here :oops:

fredx181

#822 Post by fredx181 »

belham wrote:Kids, Uncle Fred didn't actually mean what you all are thinking here Embarassed
Sorry for my ignorance, I really don't know what you mean, is it something terrible what I wrote (that you quoted in bold) ??
You advise me to change it ?

@backi Thanks for testing !!!

Fred

belham2

#823 Post by belham2 »

fredx181 wrote:
belham wrote:Kids, Uncle Fred didn't actually mean what you all are thinking here Embarassed
Sorry for my ignorance, I really don't know what you mean, is it something terrible what I wrote (that you quoted in bold) ??
You advise me to change it ?

@backi Thanks for testing !!!

Fred
https://english.stackexchange.com/quest ... ith-vagina

IT doesn't bother me, but some others might take offense. Thankfully, since Jeminah left a few years ago, I think we've been devoid of the smarter side of our species on or in Murga-land. :wink:
[/url]

Max Headroom

#824 Post by Max Headroom »

G'day Backi or anybody eLse that knows, How( & Where ) to Adjust the Sensitivity of Desktop Switching in eNlightenment E17, when She moves the Mouse Cursor to the Edge of the Screen ( Typically when going to the Scroll baa ) it Jumps to the Next or Adjacent Desktop ( Me X Wife is Bitching & Nagging & Cursing!!!... ) Please

:)K

backi

#825 Post by backi »

Hi Max !

Go Menu>Settings>Settings Panel>Input>Edge Bindings>Delete All>Apply

Regards !

backi

#826 Post by backi »

Hi belham !
So for those who already like to play with the "Beaver"
Or did you mean Bi-Yonic Beaver ?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yoni

To "our" excuse . "We" as Europeans in "our" naive/native ways do regard "Beaver" more in a zoological/ecological sense .

anikin

#827 Post by anikin »

Here's how Ubuntu names its releases: Ubuntu Bionic Beaver 18.04.
Ubuntu/Adjective/Animal/Version(X.YY) X means the year (minus 2000) and YY means the month of release.

Ubuntu uses only the first/adjective part and never refers to its releases by the second/animal part of the name. That's especially true for the repository names in the /apt/sources.list. They are always trusty/xenial/artful/bionic and never tahr/xerus/aardvark, let alone beaver.

As for the technical side of this brave release: At this stage it makes absolutely no sense. Just two days ago bionic didn't even have it's own repos. It's almost 100% copy of the previous release, e.g., artful. I ran a quick debootstrap of artful, chrooted, added bionic to the sources list and ran upgrade and dist-upgrade:

root@debian:/# apt-get update && apt-get upgrade ...
Calculating upgrade... Done
The following packages will be upgraded:
  apt apt-utils base-files dbus dpkg gcc-7-base libapt-inst2.0 libapt-pkg5.0
  libdbus-1-3 libgcc1 libgcrypt20 libstdc++6
12 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 4724 kB of archives.
After this operation, 80.9 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] Y ...
root@debian:/# apt-get dist-upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
root@debian:/# 
So the difference between the two is negligible and amounts to 80.9 kB of data. Actually, you are still playing with artful and need to mature a little bit before you can start playing with the real beaver thing :)

Max Headroom

#828 Post by Max Headroom »

Thanx Backi 4 your reply,

Another couple of Questions, in the System Tray / Shelf of eNlightenment E17 there isn't a Network Connection indicator ( & I've Looked in Contents ) Where & How? Please

Also Where & How 2 Tweak the Global Font size ( Will it include Browser Font size? ) Where & How? Please again

Thanx

backi

#829 Post by backi »

Hi Max !
Another couple of Questions, in the System Tray / Shelf of eNlightenment E17 there isn't a Network Connection indicator ( & I've Looked in Contents ) Where & How? Please
Maybe first activate/load in Menu>Settings>Modules>Module Settings>Utilities>Systray .......

then go :
Menu>Settings>Shelfs>Shelf Settings....click shelf>Contents>Systray>add Gadged.

Fontsize :
Menu>Settings>Settings Panel>Look>Fonts activate and choose Fonts and Font Size ....apply

Max Headroom

#830 Post by Max Headroom »

Thanx again Backi 4 your Response,

No joy w/ a Network Connection indicator...

Better Luck However w/ the Font size, Actually I had Previously, Been there & Done that as yoU instructed & it didn't seem 2 be working, eXcept that this last time I did it & Rebooted, I Discovered another window Buried Underneath that Needed Me 2 accept it, so Now the Font is Better, altho it doesn't appear 2 effect the Browser Font size ( in My case is Firefox & Opera 12.16 ( Classic Presto ) of Course I've Looked within Both Applications Preferences Settings ). in this case it's because it's Running on a 14 year old 12" Screen & My 56 year old eyes aRen't as sharp as they used 2 be. :cry: