XenialDog (Ubuntu 16.04 'Xenial Xerus' LTS, 32-bit)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
backi

#826 Post by backi »

Hi belham !
So for those who already like to play with the "Beaver"
Or did you mean Bi-Yonic Beaver ?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yoni

To "our" excuse . "We" as Europeans in "our" naive/native ways do regard "Beaver" more in a zoological/ecological sense .

anikin

#827 Post by anikin »

Here's how Ubuntu names its releases: Ubuntu Bionic Beaver 18.04.
Ubuntu/Adjective/Animal/Version(X.YY) X means the year (minus 2000) and YY means the month of release.

Ubuntu uses only the first/adjective part and never refers to its releases by the second/animal part of the name. That's especially true for the repository names in the /apt/sources.list. They are always trusty/xenial/artful/bionic and never tahr/xerus/aardvark, let alone beaver.

As for the technical side of this brave release: At this stage it makes absolutely no sense. Just two days ago bionic didn't even have it's own repos. It's almost 100% copy of the previous release, e.g., artful. I ran a quick debootstrap of artful, chrooted, added bionic to the sources list and ran upgrade and dist-upgrade:

Code: Select all

root@debian:/# apt-get update && apt-get upgrade ...
Calculating upgrade... Done
The following packages will be upgraded:
  apt apt-utils base-files dbus dpkg gcc-7-base libapt-inst2.0 libapt-pkg5.0
  libdbus-1-3 libgcc1 libgcrypt20 libstdc++6
12 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 4724 kB of archives.
After this operation, 80.9 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] Y ...
root@debian:/# apt-get dist-upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
root@debian:/# 
So the difference between the two is negligible and amounts to 80.9 kB of data. Actually, you are still playing with artful and need to mature a little bit before you can start playing with the real beaver thing :)

Max Headroom

#828 Post by Max Headroom »

Thanx Backi 4 your reply,

Another couple of Questions, in the System Tray / Shelf of eNlightenment E17 there isn't a Network Connection indicator ( & I've Looked in Contents ) Where & How? Please

Also Where & How 2 Tweak the Global Font size ( Will it include Browser Font size? ) Where & How? Please again

Thanx

:)K

backi

#829 Post by backi »

Hi Max !
Another couple of Questions, in the System Tray / Shelf of eNlightenment E17 there isn't a Network Connection indicator ( & I've Looked in Contents ) Where & How? Please
Maybe first activate/load in Menu>Settings>Modules>Module Settings>Utilities>Systray .......

then go :
Menu>Settings>Shelfs>Shelf Settings....click shelf>Contents>Systray>add Gadged.

Fontsize :
Menu>Settings>Settings Panel>Look>Fonts activate and choose Fonts and Font Size ....apply

Max Headroom

#830 Post by Max Headroom »

Thanx again Backi 4 your Response,

No joy w/ a Network Connection indicator...

Better Luck However w/ the Font size, Actually I had Previously, Been there & Done that as yoU instructed & it didn't seem 2 be working, eXcept that this last time I did it & Rebooted, I Discovered another window Buried Underneath that Needed Me 2 accept it, so Now the Font is Better, altho it doesn't appear 2 effect the Browser Font size ( in My case is Firefox & Opera 12.16 ( Classic Presto ) of Course I've Looked within Both Applications Preferences Settings ). in this case it's because it's Running on a 14 year old 12" Screen & My 56 year old eyes aRen't as sharp as they used 2 be. :cry:

backi

#831 Post by backi »

Hi Max !
Regarding Font-size of Web-Browser Text ( i assume you mean Font-Size of Websites not Font-Size of the Browser Menu ).......
1.CTRL +Mouse-Wheel changes size of Website -Text (Zoom in or out)
or:
2.Menu Bar Edit>Preferences>Content>Font+Colors

My Network Icon is shown in Xenial with E17.

Did you manage to to add the Module Systray to the Shelf ?
Look in Shelf >Contents if Systray is included .......

Module Systray has to be loaded first with Menu>Settings>Modules>Utilities>Systray before you can add it to the Shelf .

Please report back .

Max Headroom

#832 Post by Max Headroom »

G'day Backi, I Think there might be a Misunderstanding, what I Actually want is a Network Connection indicator as opposed 2 a SysTray icon, which I did sucksessfully install Thanx 2 your instructions.

fredx181

#833 Post by fredx181 »

*** BionicDog Preview (Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver development) ***

Hi Everyone,

Another Alpha version, note that "Bionic Beaver" is in early development stage.
Lots of progress though, e.g. there's Bionicdog custom repository now 32-bit Here and 64-bit Here

Works with autologin and startx now, (previous 32-bit alpha didn't) thanks to The Flying Cat for info.
Probably I'll open new thread for it next year when it reaches stable state

Code: Select all

root@live:~# cat /etc/issue
Ubuntu Bionic Beaver (development branch) \n \l
Login details:
root with password root (default automatic login)
puppy with password puppy

Specifications:
Built from an absolute minimal Ubuntu by using debootstrap.
Kernel: 4.13.0-17-generic
Choice of Boot Methods: porteus-boot only , see options at the XenialDog Wiki Porteus-Boot
Default WM - OpenBox with lxpanel and pcmanfm providing the desktop
Default File Manager - pcmanfm with option to use rox.
Default Internet Browser - Firefox. (there is launcher for "apulse firefox", so audio works without pulseaudio installed)
Applications included: gnome-mplayer, mpv, abiword, pburn, pfind, gparted, synaptic, leafpad, quick-remaster, dogradio, peasywifi, wex and much more (almost as full featured as XenialDog)
TODO's: Testing.... testing..., upgrade packages (there will be many available during next months), and add more packages to custom repos (e.g. apps that rcrsn51 made for StretchDog (need to test first) )

ISO's removed because of possible danger of BIOS corruption with kernel 4.13, see here:
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page= ... -Corrupter
Bug report:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1734147
For anyone who downloaded earlier, advice is DO NOT USE IT

Fred
Last edited by fredx181 on Sat 23 Dec 2017, 09:25, edited 1 time in total.

wiak

#834 Post by wiak »

fredx181 wrote:*** BionicDog Preview (Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver development) ***
Nice! I'll certainly try this one sometime. I've been quite seriously ill of late so not computing at all quite at present, but will get back to it as soon as I can. I'll be fine soon enough I'm sure. It;s a case of age catching up with me a bit, unexpectedly, so I just have to fiddle with my BIOS clock a bit to turn time back a little.

wiak

backi

#835 Post by backi »

Hi Fred Hi Everyone !

Installed Bionic Dog to Usb-Stick frugally .So far..... running fine .
Just one Observation for now......Smplayer/Smtube "unable to retrieve Youtube page" ........Not a problem of Smplayer/Smtube (is working correct with Xenial Dog ---Tahrpup------Bodhi Linux ).
Same Problem with ArtfulPup too .-------
Don`t expect an Answer.......just an Observation .

Regards !

fredx181

#836 Post by fredx181 »

@wiak, thanks, if you can, I'd appreciate testing.
Sorry to hear about your health, all the best!

@backi
Thanks for testing! I tried smtube and smplayer from install with apt-get and works fine for me (also 'Vevo' video's).
You installed different maybe?

Fred

belham2

#837 Post by belham2 »

fredx181 wrote:*** BionicDog Preview (Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver development) ***

Download:
ISO 32-bit https://github.com/fredx181/bionicdog/r ... -12-02.iso size: 297 MB
Md5sum: https://github.com/fredx181/bionicdog/r ... -12-02.md5

ISO 64-bit https://github.com/fredx181/bionicdog/r ... -12-02.iso size: 306 MB
Md5sum: https://github.com/fredx181/bionicdog/r ... -12-02.md5

Firmware SFS module:
https://github.com/fredx181/bionicdog/r ... e.squashfs

Fred

Hi Fred,

Been using BionicDog, and as usual, it (and your stuff) is really great. Also, was wondering why you went with FF56 and not '57 or '58? Or is the 56-naming-scheme part of Ubuntu's crazy naming system Peebee explained to me long ago? Anyhow, all is working great from what I can tell so far. I've thrown multiple format vids at gnome Mplayer, and to my surprise, it has handled them all. Think I'm gonna install Handbrake in BionicDog, and first see how it reacts, and then convert some video files.

Oh, I had to remove, or rather disable, the conky. It works and there's no problems, it just that that adorable desktop background screamed out to me to please remove conky so I could properly enjoy their hug :wink: Darn cute. The World needs more hugs about right now. Hey, what's that "Composite Desktop" button in our tray? What made you decide to bring up to our attention with its own launcher? People not know about it or...???

And, I see you went with AZPainter. I'll try to learn it, but darn I am so used to mtpaint that it is going to be a bit tough (and maddening). And weX? I'll get the rugrats to gather around and sing "12 Days of Christmas" and use weX to record it and see how it goes.

Lastly, I see in the Menu GifenC and Animated GIF...., haha, you are determined to make us all become GIF-addicted. I'm still trying to figure it out and how it comes so easy to you (and a few others). I sometimes want to post pics to murga with GIF to show something, but dang, I need a 5th grade level wiki instruction set to follow because I keep screwing it up, lol.

So, all in all, the Bionic Dog, good stuff. Thanks for the continued good work here pushing the ddogs forward!

P.S. And double thanks for leaving redshiftgui in? :wink: Micko includes it now default, as does peebee, and I've just got to work on Phil and Barry :D
Attachments
Bionic-Dog.jpg
(104.4 KiB) Downloaded 1605 times

belham2

#838 Post by belham2 »

{follow up]

Hi again, Fred,

Plz forget my comment about Firefox. Sometimes I completely forget (since I've been playing pups for awhile) that I have to power of "apt-get update && apt-get upgrade" at my fingertips with the DDogs. Firefox updated to 57.01, Ubuntu's latest. Awesome stuff, and so bloody easy :wink:

escucha

#839 Post by escucha »

fredx181

Astounding:
Default Internet Browser - Firefox. (there is launcher for "apulse firefox", so audio works without pulseaudio installed)
How this can be done?
Playing arround with a 64bit BionicDog 'future' 18.04, running at lightning speed on a core 2 duo... nice, very nice.
Waiting for more!
[/code]
[size=75]Trying Fossapup 64bit. Still daily work in Bionic64.[/size]

rcrsn51

#840 Post by rcrsn51 »

escucha wrote:Astounding:
How this can be done?
I am using the same procedure with the latest Firefox 57. It's on an old Acer netbook with a single-core Atom CPU and 1 GB of RAM.

I can play Youtube video over WiFi at full speed (provided that I lower the resolution to 240p).

belham2

#841 Post by belham2 »

Hi Fred & all,

On my frugal-installed BionicDog 64-bit, I have a question. Is there any way to prevent my conky---which is started automatically on Startup--from disappearing from the desktop whenever I right- and/or left-click anywhere on the desktop. I have to re-hit the conkytoggle, weirdly twice, just to get it restarted.

Thanks for any advice/hints/tips.
Attachments
BionicDog-conky-started-on-Startup.jpg
(28.86 KiB) Downloaded 1268 times
BionicDog-conky-disappears-after-left-and-or-right-clicking-on-desktop-anywhere.jpg
(27.64 KiB) Downloaded 1242 times

fredx181

#842 Post by fredx181 »

Hi belham, try changing "own_window_type" to "normal" in conky config.
(not sure, but probably it's set it to "desktop" for you now)

Hey !, and thanks for testing.
Most important to do is doing a "apt-get upgrade" once in a while and hope and pray that nothing breaks until april next year.

EDIT:
I have to re-hit the conkytoggle, weirdly twice, just to get it restarted.
That's because conky display is not visible, but the process is still running, so clicking once conkytoggle will kill the conky process and clicking once more then activates it again.

Fred

belham2

#843 Post by belham2 »

fredx181 wrote:Hi belham, try changing "own_window_type" to "normal" in conky config.
(not sure, but probably it's set it to "desktop" for you now)

Hey !, and thanks for testing.
Most important to do is doing a "apt-get upgrade" once in a while and hope and pray that nothing breaks until april next year.

EDIT:
I have to re-hit the conkytoggle, weirdly twice, just to get it restarted.
That's because conky display is not visible, but the process is still running, so clicking once conkytoggle will kill the conky process and clicking once more then activates it again.

Fred
Thanks, Fred!

That got me on the right track. But when I just put "normal" in for "own_window_type", I kept getting conky in an actual window that had its own title bar and borders. Then, looking at "own_window_hints", and Googling a bit, noticed the word "sticky" wasn't in there as an attribute. Once I put that ("sticky") in there along with the "normal" in "own_window_type", all was good & conky now stays on the desktop no matter what I do now :wink: Thanks again!

backi

Ubuntu 17.10 Temporarily Pulled Due To A BIOS Corrupting

#844 Post by backi »

Ubuntu 17.10 Temporarily Pulled Due To A BIOS Corrupting Problem .

But seems Bionic Beaver is not affected .

belham2

Re: Ubuntu 17.10 Temporarily Pulled Due To A BIOS Corrupting

#845 Post by belham2 »

backi wrote:Ubuntu 17.10 Temporarily Pulled Due To A BIOS Corrupting Problem .

But seems Bionic Beaver is not affected .

Hi Backi! (Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays to you!) :wink:

Thanks for this info!!

Boy, this is not good....NOT GOOD at all.

Just to be safe, I've deleted my Artful-Aardvark (from Peebee) frugal-install, and I've also deleted Bionic Beaver (from Fred).

I cannot afford to have my laptop's BIOS get corrupted and end up not being recoverable.

Ubuntu should be ashamed no one caught this earlier. They are supposed to test their releases across a wide range of hardware.

Obviously, they are falling down.....again :roll:

Is it any wonder that Linux Mint, Debian, and Manjaro are all ranked ahead of Ubuntu now? I've got a bad feeling Ubuntu is going to screw up too with the big Gnome Ubuntu 18 launch in April.

Too many of their knowledgeable people have left over the past year.

We can only hope....but for now, I am sticking with Debian-based stuff and distros, and of course some of the Slacko-derivative pups (I'm assuming Phil's Xenial is safe from this 17- madness, but I might delete frugal installs of it too just to be safe).