Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 17 Nov 2018, 22:10
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
XenialDog (Ubuntu 16.04 'Xenial Xerus' LTS, 32-bit)
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 62 of 67 [998 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67 Next
hamoudoudou

PostPosted: Wed 28 Feb 2018, 02:47    Post subject: DOgs are everywhere.  

DOgs are everywhere. DeltaLinux is on Puppy Linux users Facebook too, searching to draw to Delta Linux some Puppy users. They don't want to help. Just show their work. I don't speak about backi, of course, he is ready to give a hand (Holland, Germany, France : no brexit Exclamation )
I fully understand that the pleasure is programming, between programmers. Like poker players won't like to spend days explaining everybody how to play poker
But as soon as you release your OS, it's your rule and task to teach and help. You are in Puppy Linux forums. It would at least be nice to welcome Puppy users, and devs. Ifi say i don't understand what is explained, you have to explain it better (backi of course is not concerned). You will quickly loose your testers, and don't find new ones, at least from Puppy.
Failed to fetch http://debiandog.ml/XenialDog/Packages/./InRelease Clearsigned file isn't valid, got 'NOSPLIT' (does the network require authentication?)Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead לשחרר את הקובץ Clearsigned אינו חוקי, יש 'NOSPLIT' (האם הרשת דורשת אימות?) כמה קבצי אינדקס נכשלה להוריד. הם התעלמו, או ישנים השתמשו במקום
wireless.jpg
 Description   Wireless successful but fights with ethernet one, then nothing works
 Filesize   73.94 KB
 Viewed   603 Time(s)

wireless.jpg

hamoudoudou

PostPosted: Wed 28 Feb 2018, 03:53    Post subject: WiCD is perfect.  

WiCD is perfect. Frisbee out (for this session)
session sqve to sda3 entered manually at reboot. Beware the keyboard is english, Type Debiqn to get Debian on screen. Not easy. We are used to Exclamation
wireless.jpg
 Description   firefox surf the web, now
 Filesize   61.04 KB
 Viewed   594 Time(s)

wireless.jpg

Max Headroom

PostPosted: Wed 28 Feb 2018, 04:48    Post subject:  

Hi again Guys, I Herd yoU Mist Me... Laughing

So I Did Try backis Suggestion of a Folder, in Fact I Copied & Pasted Backis Recommendation into My menu.lst File & Edited it Appropriately & ReBooted, But wasn't surprised that I Hit a Road Block Message about Me having a non-posix File System, because this is a Frugal install Dual Booting w/ M$ Virus Bait ( ie. Windows 7 ), I did mention that, but I think it got overlooked.

Anyway I Tried booting w/ the other 2 .dat Save / Container Options.... I didn't get the Lil Red Warning Window, in either case, But neither Option was saving Changes or Updates!
So I'm not winning!

Confused K

backi

PostPosted: Wed 28 Feb 2018, 04:54    Post subject:  

Hi hamoudoudou !

Looks quite chaotic your setup.......makes me a bit confused/insecure .
You are using changes.dat on a fat32 formatted Usb-Stick.I am not much experienced with changes.dat Files .Changes FOLDER on Ext4 is anyway better .

Would propose to start from the scratch/beginning ........if you do not mind since you anyway have no Savings .

Follow my Instructions :
Prepare your Usb-Stick as follow :

1.Format your Usb-Stick with Gparted to Ext4.....( i hope you know how to do this )
2.Flag it as bootable .....( i hope you know how to do this )
3. Apply Grub4Dos to the Usb-Stick....( i hope you know how to do this )

Later i will give you the menu.lst Entries ......you just have to copy them to your menu.lst .

I don `t know which other Puppies or Distros you are running from to install Xenial Dog to Usb-Stick .

Extract the Xenial Dog Iso to get the " casper " Folder .

4.From your running Distro go to the XenialDog Iso .
5.Extract the Iso .....( i hope you know how to do this )
6.Copy the "casper" Folder from the extracted Iso to your prepared (see above) Usb-Stick .

7.Modify your menu.lst ( created with Grub4Dos on your Usb-Stick )as follows :

(Remark: (no need to create " changes " Folder it will be automatically created inside of "casper " when booting first Time with first menu.lst Entry ) .

First (menu.lst) Entry (on your Usb-Stick) looks like this::

title XENIALDOG - porteus-boot - save on EXIT changes=/changes folder
find --set-root /casper/vmlinuz
kernel /casper/vmlinuz from=/ noauto changes=EXIT:/casper/ ramsize=80%
initrd /casper/initrd1.xz

What it does when booting with this Entry :
No automatic savings during Session... except when using command "save2flash "... ("save2flash " can be found in /usr/bin ......symlink it to Desktop ....and use it on Demand ).
Or when Shutdown saves can be done on Demand .
Changes will be saved to " changes " Folder inside of "casper" Folder .
This will only save on Demand (during Session or at Shutdown to " changes " FOLDER inside of "casper" Folder .

Second (menu.lst) Entry ( on your Usb-Stick ) looks like this:

Remark: (no need to create " changes " Folder it will be automatically created inside of "casper " Folder when booting with second menu.lst Entry

2.title XENIALDOG- porteus-boot - save direct changes=/XENIALDOG/changes folder
kernel /casper/vmlinuz from=/ noauto changes=/casper/ ramsize=80%

What it does when booting with this :
Changes will be saved automatically/immediately to to " changes " Folder inside of "casper" Folder during Session .

Can be useful if running out of ram when doing heavy Tasks for example when Upgrading .

See the Difference :
First Entry (no automatic Saves) :

changes=EXIT:/casper/ ---- EXIT:-----makes it running in ram ----not saving automatically ,Saves only on Demand .

Second Entry (automatic Saves ):

changes=/casper/ ----- there is no EXIT:------which makes direct saves to changes Folder .

But last not least :

Option 3.
Booting always fresh .....same as booting in ram with Puppy .

title XENIALDOG- porteus-boot Always Fresh
kernel /casper/vmlinuz from=/ nomagic base_only norootcopy

There are some more Boot-Parameters and Boot-Options but the ones described above are the most commonly used ...for example running Things completely in Ram . But i am not experienced with this Methods ...so i will not comment .

So the same goes for Debian Dog .....except the "casper " will be replaced with "live" -----

There are some more Boot-Options/Parameters ...for example running everything in Ram or some others .But i am not experienced with it. So the 3 Options above are the most commonly used .
"changes" Folder inside of "casper " or "live " can be easily back-uped and stored to a save Place and replaced in case something went wrong .

Hope it helps .
hamoudoudou

PostPosted: Wed 28 Feb 2018, 05:21    Post subject: backi , let me time.  

backi , let me time. It is snowing outside, i must prepare hot meal. True fat32 is not good fot saving so i save on my HDD linux partition. As emergency process..
Your process seems clear. Just i must do it. Soon, but not right now.
I want to underline that it is nice to meet helpers as you. I will not deceive you by not trying your suggestion, be sure of that.
Take a cup of tea. do you understand why Linux frighten newbies ? they are always repairing never using. people are not doctors, excepted those who like it. Laptop is for pleasure, free time. Unless something is broken.

Last edited by hamoudoudou on Wed 28 Feb 2018, 05:33; edited 1 time in total
backi

PostPosted: Wed 28 Feb 2018, 05:30    Post subject:  

Alright !
If you have any questions and i can help .....don`t be shy ......no need to hurry ! Smile Smile
backi

PostPosted: Wed 28 Feb 2018, 06:09    Post subject:  

Hi Max !
Sorry can`t help ....too much for me .....no experience with changes.dat on Fat
partitions .
Don`t know if changes FOLDER can be used on Fat Partitions or if it only works on Ext3/4 ---Linux Partitions .
Maybe somebody knows .

Just have a look here for using Porteus Boot in Xenial Dog .

https://github.com/DebianDog/xenialdog/wiki/Porteus-boot

This will explain a lot .....but maybe not everything .
fredx181

PostPosted: Wed 28 Feb 2018, 07:39    Post subject:  

Confusion... confusion...
On itself it's a form of art to make things difficult while they are so simple... Wink

@backi, hamoudoudou is probably using syslinux bootloader and your examples are for grub4dos...

@hamoudoudou, this is your entry you use that should save the session, right ?
Code:
label XenialDog Porteus in RAM (save in changes=/changes.dat file)
kernel /casper/vmlinuz
append initrd=/casper/initrd1.xz noauto from=/ copy2ram changes=/mnt/sda3/Porteus/changes.dat

I just tested to reproduce exactly the same (using same syslinux boot entry on FAT32 formatted USB) and created /mnt/sda3/Porteus/changes.dat
And it worked fine for me saving the session, what or why not for you ?
Does /mnt/sda3/Porteus/changes.dat really exist ?

Oh, and replace your Xenialdog with the newest version (download link on first post)
The older version for sure is giving you trouble.
I told Pelo some time ago already, but he wouldn't listen, you better follow my advice now.(unless you like trouble Wink )
And.. apply the fixes from second post (e.g. for conky display)

Fred

backi

PostPosted: Wed 28 Feb 2018, 09:06    Post subject:  

Hi Fred !

Thanks for Support .

Quote:
Does /mnt/sda3/Porteus/changes.dat really exist ?

Good Question .....i was asking myself too ....because of this i pleaded for a Reset , cause i felt somehow confused and desperate .

As far as i understood ,his Installation is on a Usb-stick ......
For his own Convenience , his changes.dat should also be on the Usb-Stick inside of casper Folder.........or is sda3 ( on ) the Usb-Stick ?

So many Questions.....so many Mysteries .
I think the only One who really can explain and provide us with detailed Information is Maestro hamoudoudou himself .

Regards !
hamoudoudou

PostPosted: Wed 28 Feb 2018, 10:00    Post subject: Sure do things simply is what we like.  

I am on other subject but as answer is :
my Rose.dat on which i tried to load was on my usB FAT32
When i type cheatcode manually File stored in hardrive linux sda3 that works well. Sure do things simply is what we like.
That is solved. About wireless and Wired fighting together in Frisbee, i really will come back later. Emergency Solution was to install WIcd and erase Frisbee
hamoudoudou

PostPosted: Wed 28 Feb 2018, 10:01    Post subject: Sure do things simply is what we like.  

I am on other subject but as answer is :
my Rose.dat on which i tried to load was on my usB FAT32
When i type cheatcode manually File stored in hardrive linux sda3 that works well. Sure do things simply is what we like.
That is solved. About wireless and Wired fighting together in Frisbee, i really will come back later. Emergency Solution was to install WIcd and erase Frisbee
fredx181

PostPosted: Wed 28 Feb 2018, 10:09    Post subject:  

backi wrote:
Don`t know if changes FOLDER can be used on Fat Partitions or if it only works on Ext3/4 ---Linux Partitions

Yes, changes folder only works on Ext3/4 ---Linux Partitions

Quote:
For his own Convenience , his changes.dat should also be on the Usb-Stick inside of casper Folder.........or is sda3 ( on ) the Usb-Stick ?

I would prefer also having the changes on Usb-Stick, all in one place, but he probably has his reasons for having it on sda3.

@Keef,
Quote:
I often check for new arrivals on Distrowatch, and this week there is one called DeltaLinux. No info on what it is based on or if it is doing its own thing. Anyway downloaded the USB image to try it out, although it is quite large. Turns out it is based on XenialDog. Frisbee as network manager partly gave it away, but saw the XenialDog ascii logo as it shutdown.

Thanks for the info.
Well... I tried it and noticed that it's indeed very much based on XenialDog.
Some applications are removed and added a lot, porteus-boot preserved
Almost can't believe there's no reference at all to Xenialdog on the Deltalinux website, oh well...
But I must say that I like it, it's very well made.

Here's a .tar.gz archive I put on my google-drive containing the casper folder with inside the required files for a frugal install, similar (porteus-boot) grub4dos entry (as can be used for Xenialdog) works fine.
deltalinux.tar.gz (900 MB):
https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=1aXHHQhUyHuTq30jHB7mtuEOob_22UyQD

EDIT: @hamoudoudou, so what you can do is:
Put Rose.dat in the casper folder on the USB, and use this in your syslinux config:
Code:
label XenialDog Porteus in RAM (save in changes=/casper/Rose.dat file)
kernel /casper/vmlinuz
append initrd=/casper/initrd1.xz noauto from=/ copy2ram changes=/casper/Rose.dat

And, again, use newest Xenialdog !! (I noticed from a screenshot of yours in another thread that use use old version)
XenialDog_32bit-openbox_jwm-2017-01-22-firmware-all.iso
Fred

hamoudoudou

PostPosted: Wed 28 Feb 2018, 12:47    Post subject:  XenialDog-openbox_jwm-2016-04-30.iso: 287 M
Subject description: obsolete !

well understood about rose.dat

I completely forgot that i had to leave by plane to morrow with so many people to manage.. Not only for computing. I forgot my family rendez-vous, i thought it was next Thursday . Computer makes you out of reality. I stay with my version XenialDog.. None of the dogs give me an huge difference. In fact i was with pupjibaro stretch, very nice Pupppy and i still not understand why GCstar needs devx mounted with it, when under Dogs it runs without adding anything.

Last edited by hamoudoudou on Wed 28 Feb 2018, 15:11; edited 2 times in total
fredx181

PostPosted: Wed 28 Feb 2018, 13:24    Post subject:  

hamoudoudou wrote:
I stay with my version XenialDog

I was silently hoping that you had learned from your previous life as Pelo, but no, you are just as stubborn, sigh....
The old Xenialdog version you use is broken, I repeat: BROKEN !!
(it means that it gives you a headache already now (strange warnings from Synaptic you talked about) and sooner or later it's getting worse Sad )
Last warning !
EDIT: Also posted here as reply to your question:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=984372#984372

Fred

hamoudoudou

PostPosted: Wed 28 Feb 2018, 18:27    Post subject: Dogs and my Ubuntu in only one 8GB pendrive  

my need is only to get some apps to run, as GCstar and Alexandra, others are available with standard puppies. And XenialDog released 2016 does it. Then i feed back what can be improved to help Dog Team. Sure i Will upload a new version, dated jan 2017. Before formating My Pink (rose) Usb drive i took a glance at it because it has been a long time without running.
My real goal is to stick all my Dogs and my Ubuntu in only one 8GB pendrive with Isobooter, savings being done on my partition Linux on HDD
done step by step Isobooter rcrsn51
XenialDog StretchDog Slaxen 6.3.2 Pupjibaro Stretch
version.jpg
 Description   Version 2017
 Filesize   12.06 KB
 Viewed   346 Time(s)

version.jpg

Page 62 of 67 [998 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: