XenialDog (Ubuntu 16.04 'Xenial Xerus' LTS, 32-bit)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
zagreb999

bionicdog32-test

#931 Post by zagreb999 »

i installed bionicdog32.
it works great
on hp pavilion 8 gb ram uefi.
i had to change kernel to
4.5 pupjibaro, because with original
one wpa supplicant is not active.
also, i had to install frisbee.
frisbee works always everywhere!!!
-------------
i installed xfce, but in thunar there is noone
custom action.
haw is possible to transport
custom actions from pcmanfm to thunar?
what is username for slim ?
regards.

regards.

fredx181

#932 Post by fredx181 »

Hi zagreb, good that Bionicdog works for you !
i installed xfce, but in thunar there is noone
custom action.
haw is possible to transport
custom actions from pcmanfm to thunar?
Don't know easy way to transport pcmanfm actions to Thunar.
I'm afraid you have to manually create custom actions in Thunar.
Sorry, don't understand what's your question.
Anyway, the config file for slim is: /etc/slim.conf
(if slim is installed, of course, it's not by default)

Fred

backi

#933 Post by backi »

Hey you guys !
Isn`t username "puppy" ........for slim ?

backi

can not login with slim as user puppy

#934 Post by backi »

Hey you guys !
Removed Slim Login-Manager...... ( SHITTY) --------installed LXDM Login-Manager instead .........works fine :lol:

fredx181

Re: can not login with slim as user puppy

#935 Post by fredx181 »

backi wrote:Hey you guys !
Removed Slim Login-Manager...... ( SHITTY) --------installed LXDM Login-Manager instead .........works fine :lol:
Thanks backi !!
I tried LXDM and found 2 problems (however second one is not a real problem):
1) Waiting a while after reboot (not clicking on "puppy" yet) got me logged in automatically as root.
That is wrong. A true multi-user setup shouldn't give automatic root access without giving password..
It's caused by a systemd configuration (on purpose configured for Xenialdog) to login as root automatically, can be disabled by doing in terminal (renaming getty@tty1.service) :

Code: Select all

mv -f /etc/systemd/system/getty.target.wants/getty@tty1.service /etc/systemd/system/getty.target.wants/getty@tty1.service.bak
And after reboot it should be fixed.
2) there's a message after entering password that it couldn't find startlxde, a bit annoying, but it turns out OK by using (as called) "default".

Could be that the problem you had with Slim was also caused by the automatic login as root thing, but not sure, didn't test.

Best regards and hopefully the winter will end soon in Germany too ! :)

Fred

backi

#936 Post by backi »

Hi Fred !
Thanks for Reply and good Tip .
Will apply it as soon as possible .

Wish could live in Holland... I truly envy you .........would probably now go visiting Coffee-Shops for testing some Weed . :lol: :lol: :lol:

Have a nice Day Fred :D

backi

#937 Post by backi »

Hi Fred !

Running Bionic-Dog in root does not give any Trouble so far.

Running as User puppy :
using Desktop Manager selecting PcManFm+Lxpanel.... Menu only shows 2 Items ....run and Logout .
PcManFm+Lxpanel not possible to put Applications to the Panel .Application Launch Bar is empty .
When using Rox-pinboard ... Application Links to Desktop are not saved .

Tha same goes for Xenial Dog .

Regards !

fredx181

#938 Post by fredx181 »

Hi backi, thanks for reporting.. however I couldn't reproduce on Xenialdog (logged in as puppy) what you said about "Menu only shows 2 Items ....run and Logout ." and "PcManFm+Lxpanel not possible to put Applications to the Panel .Application Launch Bar is empty"
When using Rox-pinboard ... Application Links to Desktop are not saved
What you mean with "not saved" ? After reboot , or...

I'm busy with other things right now, didn't test "puppy login" on Bionicdog yet, I'll do later and get back about it in the next days.

EDIT: Had a quick look at Bionicdog and found that support for "Desktop switching" e.g. to Rox-pinboard is not at all supported yet when logged in as user puppy, I will fix in next version.
Still curious about what are exactly your problems (when logged in as puppy) with Xenialdog, as I said, I couldn't reproduce.

Fred

backi

#939 Post by backi »

Hi Fred !
Still curious about what are exactly your problems (when logged in as puppy) with Xenialdog, as I said, I couldn't reproduce.
Yes ....you are right ......
There must have been something wrong with my Setup (maybe Save-Folder Corruption ?)
Did a new/fresh Setup with Xenial-Dog ...... such Problems no longer occurred ------everything is running fine now .
Same for Bionic-Dog (no Problems) ........must have been some Usb-Stick corruption .
My mistake .
Sorry for inconveniences .

fredx181

#940 Post by fredx181 »

backi wrote:Hi Fred !
Yes ....you are right ......
There must have been something wrong with my Setup (maybe Save-Folder Corruption ?)
Did a new/fresh Setup with Xenial-Dog ...... such Problems no longer occurred ------everything is running fine now .
Same for Bionic-Dog (no Problems) ........must have been some Usb-Stick corruption .
My mistake .
Sorry for inconveniences .
Thanks for the info backi !
Indeed on XenialDog it should be all OK, but... still... BionicDog has bug not supporting Desktop switching to e.g. Rox-pinboard properly when logged in as puppy (only default pcmanfm + lxpanel).

Fred

backi

#941 Post by backi »

Hi Fred !

Despite my formerly messed up Installations-----yes Rox-Pinboard in Bionic not working properly .
Last edited by backi on Mon 26 Mar 2018, 07:42, edited 1 time in total.

hamoudoudou

First install, no password

#942 Post by hamoudoudou »

as an evidence when you install an OS you are root. Then root set passwords to allow users to use it.. Users have to ask password to root (and not in a forum that everybody can read).
:evil: First install, no password !
Some os give password just after having typed it, in boot process.. you open the door, then process gives you the keys...
Funnier ? Some OS won't give you password unless you read the forum.. When you compare downloads to forum suscribers, sure the OS will not be a success. Furthermore most people don't understand English explanations.
Often the password to type is shown in the script, just before you ave to type it.. What a difference does that make to be user or root ? Password is really a password when you change it for your own.

backi

#943 Post by backi »

Hi Fred !
Thanks backi !!
I tried LXDM and found 2 problems (however second one is not a real problem):
1) Waiting a while after reboot (not clicking on "puppy" yet) got me logged in automatically as root.
That is wrong. A true multi-user setup shouldn't give automatic root access without giving password..
It's caused by a systemd configuration (on purpose configured for Xenialdog) to login as root automatically, can be disabled by doing in terminal (renaming getty@tty1.service) :

Code:
mv -f /etc/systemd/system/getty.target.wants/getty@tty1.service /etc/systemd/system/getty.target.wants/getty@tty1.service.bak

And after reboot it should be fixed.
2) there's a message after entering password that it couldn't find startlxde, a bit annoying, but it turns out OK by using (as called) "default".
This Code seems only working for Xenial-Dog .......any Chance to make it also applicable for Bionic-Dog ?

No need to hurry !

Greetings !

fredx181

#944 Post by fredx181 »

backi wrote:This Code seems only working for Xenial-Dog .......any Chance to make it also applicable for Bionic-Dog ?
Slightly different on Bionicdog, rename inside: /etc/systemd/system/
the file: getty@tty1.service to: getty@tty1.service.bak

Fred

backi

#945 Post by backi »

O.K Fred !

Works fine :)

fredx181

#946 Post by fredx181 »

*** BionicDog Beta 32 and 64 bit *** (for testing, feedback appreciated :wink: )

Many improvements and fixes, just to name a few:
- Added cairo-dock to desktop-switcher (Desktop-Manager) choices (choices are the same now as in XenialDog)
- Desktop-switcher (Desktop-Manager) works now when logged in as unprivileged user, e.g. puppy
- Locale problem fixed (gave previously annoying warning and some programs didn't work properly)
- All packages upgraded to newest from Bionic repo.

Login details:
root with password root (default automatic login)
puppy with password puppy

Specifications:
Built from an absolute minimal Ubuntu by using debootstrap (and remastered further).
Kernel: 4.15.0-13
Boot Method: porteus-boot only , see options (grub4dos) at the XenialDog Wiki Porteus-Boot
Default WM - OpenBox with Desktop choices, e.g: tint2-panels, rox-pinboard, cairo-dock, pcmanfm + lxpanel.
Default File Manager - pcmanfm with option to use rox.
Default Internet Browser - Firefox Quantum 59.0.2. (there is launcher for "firefox" running apulse, so audio works without pulseaudio installed)
Upgrade to newer Firefox version can be done from Help > About
(also there's launcher from Menu > Network > Firefox (as puppy), to run firefox as user 'puppy', and Firefox (as root) that can be useful for when logged in as puppy to upgrade firefox (from Help > About))
Applications included: gnome-mplayer, mpv, abiword, pburn, pfind, gparted, synaptic, leafpad, quick-remaster, dogradio, peasywifi, wex and much more (almost as full featured as XenialDog)

EDIT: Download links to beta version removed, see new ISO versions in BionicDog topic:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=113210

Fred
Last edited by fredx181 on Sat 21 Apr 2018, 22:38, edited 2 times in total.

wiak

IUP deb packages for use with small Lua interpreter

#947 Post by wiak »

Sorry, posted in wrong thread (moved to XenialDog64 thread) here:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 626#987626

wiak

backi

#948 Post by backi »

Hi Fred !
Replaced "older" Bionic Dog with the new Bionic Beta .
Works fine....even my "old" Save Folder works without flaws .....
almost--.....

Just had to deinstall Lxdm Login-Manager ....rebooted........and reinstalled it again .
Every thing seems working fine . In case something`s wrong .....will give Feedback .
Thanks a lot for your hard work ,your patience and helpful attitude .....and all your sophisticated Ideas you are sharing selfless .

Funny Greetings from the World-Center of Brave New Global Kalifatistan formerly known as Germany .
ALLAHU AKBAR !!!
Which means , at least i think so , "Big Brother is watching you ".......

Hope will not run into Trouble because of my blasphemous Internet Activities .

See you !

fredx181

#949 Post by fredx181 »

backi wrote:Hi Fred !
Replaced "older" Bionic Dog with the new Bionic Beta .
Works fine....even my "old" Save Folder works without flaws .....
almost--.....
Thanks backi !
Well, you know already my opinion about using old save, but saying it again: I wouldn't recommend it.

Fred

belham2

#950 Post by belham2 »

Hi Fred, Backi and all,

Fred, been trying your BionicDog64 the past few hours, and as I suspected whenever I try/use one of your creations, me likes it----a lot :wink:

I've got some questions:

1) is there a lightweight firewall I can install besides the usual options of ufw and firewalld from synpatic?

2) related to above, can a firewall try icon show in tint2 where Peasywifi, Sound and Clipboard Manager icons are currently showing? I've forgotten how to do it ;-(

3) is there a lan network connection icon for tray, somewhere, in bionicdog64?

4) I am struggling with the 3 different types of Firefox (running FF 60.0b9, sound is working great across all sites):

--there's Firefox-puppy

--there's Firefox-root

--then there's Firefox

I've been trying to copy my Firefox .cache and .mozilla folders into /root and into /home, but those personal settings only show up when I run Firefox-root or Firefox (what's the difference between these two Menu entries)? When I run Firefox-puppy, Firefox ignores the .cache & .mozilla stuff I've copied into those /home/puppy folders and just opens a pristine Firefox. What am I doing wrong? I am assuming people will normally want to always run in "Firefox-Puppy" mode when browsing, correct?

Anyhow, thanks again for another very nice creation (and thank you for keeping redshift in). And thanks if you can give me any hints on the above questions.

P.S. Installed frugally with Porteus from=, noauto, and changes=EXIT in casper.
Attachments
bionicdog64.jpg
(141.35 KiB) Downloaded 3103 times